• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v1.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
The point isn't that Nair is bad (it's a good move), but that it's not brainless.

If you throw out Nairs like they're this catch-all move, you're gonna get mowed down for it.

Nair works by taking advantage of any sense of hesitation in the opponent, and it's something you can establish throughout the match through your actions. The use of nair requires thought and some planning, as opposed to just being the "thing you do in neutral."

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
People need to stop saying Cloud doesn't have disadvantaged matchups. It's wrong and simply repeating it ad naseum doesn't turn it into an accurate statement.

Beating a Toon Link - even the best one - also doesn't turn a mediocre character into a non-mediocre one. If Corrin performs solidly against the likes of Diddy, Sheik and Fox consistently then we can talk about her being 'decent' or 'viable' or whatever. But that's something time will have to tell, as right now none of the observable data we have is indicative of Corring being a good character.

:059:

ZarroTsu

Smash Journeyman
If you throw out Nairs like they're this catch-all move, you're gonna get mowed down for it.
Tends to be, if you throw out any move or series of moves continuously, you'll get read and mowed down. Doesn't usually matter how good they are, unless you intend to worm into your opponents head and make them think it's the only thing you're doing, when you're setting up a reaction to the counterplay. #Mindgames

People need to stop saying Cloud doesn't have disadvantaged matchups. It's wrong and simply repeating it ad naseum doesn't turn it into an accurate statement.
Can we go over who and how? Like, an in-depth list? Ongoing flaws in Cloud's moveset and exactly how and why they're exploited? What to do when your opponent (Cloud) realizes you're exploiting these flaws and covers them?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Sheik beats Cloud.

Her ground options - tilts and dash grab mainly - still have an incredibly powerful mix of frame data and range that Cloud can't just throw out moves against. Even LCS is quite tough to find openings for.
Needles are among the few projectiles in this game that Cloud should opt to shield rather than just charge limit. He does not want to get knocked offstage. He does not want to get knocked onto a plattform. He does not want to be put into a position where he has to tech. Anything that causes him to lose stage control against Sheik is not worth it, even if it helps him reach limit faster.
Sheik can carry Cloud offstage, force him to waste his charged limits and gimp the crap out of him. Watch Mr r vs Komorikiri from G3. Ramin managed to gimp him ONSTAGE by throwing a dair into Cloud's up B. That's pretty nuts tbh.
Cloud's most consistent damage racking tool - uair juggles - isn't particularly effective against Sheik either, her disadvantage state is still borderline non-existent and his disadvantaged state is weak enough for Sheik to exploit. Cloud has to outplay Sheik in neutral CONSISTENTLY if he wants to go toe-to-toe with her. Good luck with that.

Who does Cloud lose to besides Sheik at 45-55?
Who said it's only 45/55? I know I didn't.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I'm not gonna lie, it's pretty unlikely at this point that anybody else does. He does have a handful of even matchups for sure though.

Last edited:

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
The main thing that cloud has in the Sheik matchup is a lot higher raw damage and a lot more range. Not many characters have combination as well as having the mobility to keep up so Cloud can outplay Sheik in neutral. Cloud's main problem is resetting to neutral vs a Sheik that knows the advantage matchup vs Cloud extremely well. At top level (Ramin) it's probably 45/55 but any level below its even in my opinion. Clouds actually one of the few characters who makes Sheik think about Bouncing fishing for free to reset to neutral because he can reactively punish with up-air if he positions himself well enough.

Although I agree Sheiks transition from disadvantage to neutral is pretty free. being in disadvantage is never a good thing and quite frankly dying really early due to rage building and 81 weight... sucks.

I'm not convinced on what the Sheik Cloud matchup is right now. Once Void and Zero play more Clouds and I see Mr.R vs M2K/Tweek post-patch i'll have a better idea.

Last edited:

Greward

Smash Lord
I remember Abadango making a "vs sheik tier list" prepatch and listing Cloud as second best (just behind the sheik ditto).

Yet now it's supposed to be such a bad matchup for Cloud. Lol.

It's true that Sheik will probably carry Cloud offstage with a fair combo at least once per stock, but that doesn't mean he's going to get the stock out of it. Cloud has better range, movement and power in the matchup, so outside of the gimp chance, Cloud has a very notable advantage.

Illusion.

Master of Stealth
NNID
Illusion97
3DS FC
1822-0471-8951
Switch FC
SW-5043-8035-6923
Beating a Toon Link - even the best one - also doesn't turn a mediocre character into a non-mediocre one. If Corrin performs solidly against the likes of Diddy, Sheik and Fox consistently then we can talk about her being 'decent' or 'viable' or whatever. But that's something time will have to tell, as right now none of the observable data we have is indicative of Corring being a good character.

1st at TLOC 1K and top 8 at some Japanese tournament (YOC was his name) aren't good results?

I would also mention 2nd at Landlocked, but that was 1.1.4. so not sure if that counts.

Last edited:

verbatim

Smash Ace
I'm not gonna lie, it's pretty unlikely at this point that anybody else does. He does have a handful of even matchups for sure though.
Such as? I'm not challenging your statement so much as I am curious and in need of a potential CP.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
pools prediction for NotSoApex and Low Tier City 4

Apex:
https://smash.gg/tournament/apex-2016/brackets/11350/5558

A1: Dabuz :rosalina:
A2: VoiD :4sheik:
A3: Marss :4zss:
A4: Mew2KIng :4cloud2:
A5: Tweek :4cloud2:
A6: 6WX :4sonic:
A7: RAIN :4cloud2: :4diddy::4sheik:
A8: Nietono :4diddy: :4sheik:
B1: Mister Eric:4rob:
B2: John Numbers :4wiifit: :4corrin:
B3: Mr. E :4marth:
B4: Pugwest :4marth:
B5: C3PO :4diddy:
B6: Umeki :4peach:
B7: SuperGirlKels :4sonic:
B8: Oni Day :4lucario:

most of these are obvious but i think Kels will go first in B7 over Raptor, but it could go either way

LTC4:
https://smash.gg/tournament/low-tier-city-4/brackets/11426/7344

A1: Dakpo :4zss::4luigi:
A2: MJG :4villager:
B1: ZeRo :4diddy::4cloud2::4sheik:
B2: ESAM :4pikachu:
B3: Hyuga :4tlink:
C1: Nairo :4zss:
C2: MVD :4diddy:
D1: KJ :4sonic:
D2: Karna :4sheik:
D3: Gnes :4cloud2:
E1: Cheezeballer :4dk: :4lucas:
E2: SaSSY :4rob:
F1: Jerm :4robinf:
F2: Wizzrobe :4sheik:
F3: P2P With Gibus :4greninja:
Bracket's been edited since for Apex. Kels and C3PO are now in B7 together and Raptor is now with Sinji :4pacman: in B5. I think most other things are the same, but I just did a cursory check.

Also I think Mew^2 is a bit more likely to take F1 than Jerm.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
1st at TLOC 1K and top 8 at some Japanese tournament (YOC was his name) aren't good results?
If Corrin performs solidly against the likes of Diddy, Sheik and Fox consistently then we can talk about her being 'decent' or 'viable' or whatever.
Placings mean nothing if you don't get to beat or do well against high-level representants of high- and top tier characters. Like I said, show me a Corrin player taking on high- and top level players of various high- and top level characters and I'm totally OK with calling Corrin good.

It just don't really think it's gonna happen.

Such as? I'm not challenging your statement so much as I am curious and in need of a potential CP.
Mewtwo is generally seen as evenly matched up against Cloud.
From what little we've seen Fox has performed well in the matchup [though on top level only].
Mario also has far better results against Cloud than theory would suggest.
One of Mega Man's stronger selling points in the meta is his reasonably good matchup against Cloud.
Characters that outrange Cloud have been mentioned among the characters that can deal with him, Corrin and Shulk in particular [though the latter is far too difficult to play to specifically be picked up as a secondary character against Cloud].
Nobody really knows how the Cloud v Diddy matchup goes, results are crazy inconsistent.
Bayonetta still exists, wouldn't be surprised if she's even with Cloud too.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Passing apology for not being around for the comparing-smash-games debate, and not torching it with napalm before it took off.

Also wish I could have headed off the 5 pages of circular statements about how good Cloud/LCS is or isn't.

On topic: To me, Mewtwo's positioning is still an enigma. I was one of the most bullish "Mewtwo is great!" people before Abadango won Pound. Now I feel like everyone thinks he is stronger than I do! But other Mewtwos aren't pulling amazing results tbqh; even Pikachu has better non-ESAM results.

Thoughts?

verbatim

Smash Ace
M2's a DLC character that started out poorly. No one capable of winning a supermajor dropped their main and started playing him.

Even Abadango's story is kind of weird. IK he's had a M2 since at least mid July 2015. He liked the character but didn't think they were viable, and ultimately made the switch when one patch ultra nerfed his main and ultra buffed M2.

I think that DLC characters bar Cloud because of his position will always be underrepresented in the competitive meta since most professional players already had solid mains when they were released.

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
9B has picked up Mewtwo and won a tournament with him last weekend, not a very stacked one though. RichBrown also occasionally gets results with the character.

I don't even know who else plays him outside of a few people in Europe that use him as secondary.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
9B has picked up Mewtwo and won a tournament with him last weekend, not a very stacked one though. RichBrown also occasionally gets results with the character.

I don't even know who else plays him outside of a few people in Europe that use him as secondary.

There's Blue and Mew^2.

irokex13

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Irokex21
Beats Cloud: :4sheik::4pikachu:

Goes even with him: :4bayonetta::4diddy::4fox::4zss:

Potentially goes even: :4myfriends::4pit::4darkpit::4megaman::4mewtwo::4corrin::4dk:

:4bowser::4falcon::4dk::4falco::4littlemac::4kirby::4link::4luigi::4mario::4marth::4lucina::4metaknight::4palutena::4peach::4ryu::4shulk::4tlink::4robinm: all have tools to deal with him, whether it be exploiting his recovery, bopping him in disadvantage, or having a kill confirm on him that works for a wide range since Cloud has a good weight, fall speed, and height for combos. They might not beat him, but none of these MUs are total blowouts. Over half the cast can realistically hope to beat Cloud.

Cloud is a dumb character, and can be super frustrating to fight, but he is not the gatekeeper of this game. That title pretty much belongs to :rosalina: (Can your character deal with Luma? No? GG EZ$). :4sheik::4diddy: still have the best results of the cast, and it might sound harsh, but I really could not care less about mid levels of play. Balance patches should NOT be targeted towards those players.

"But entry barriers and fun and blah blah blah". No. That's a terrible argument. This isn't supposed to be easy. People want Cloud nerfed because they can't figure out how to deal with him. There is counterplay to him. Despite his "braindead" autocancel aerials, Cloud lacks a quick horizontal poke (nair is in front of him around frame 9, essentially f13 with his f4 jump squat). All of his grounded moves are a commitment due to the rather high FAF on most of his moves. Limit can only be used once and he is vulnerable to far more combos when he has limit. He can also be forced to use Limit by pressuring him offstage when he has it. Nair is great, but doesn't have as much range as it looks (less range than Sheik's fair). Bair cannot auto cancel from a short hop when he has limit. Fair is f18, you can definitely react to that. Just move out of the way (DON'T shield it), and punish the landing lag. Up air is a great juggling tool, but it lacks horizontal range and he can't drift much once he starts the move. Dair is great for escaping pressure, but he needs to auto cancel it for it to be safe. Just monitor the height where he's using the move and you can punish him if he uses it at an unsafe distance. If he's high enough to dair, then you can go to his side and Bair/Fair him. The move can be challenged.

His grab is pretty bad, so shielding when he has limit is a good tool. The only time he gets legit scary is when he's edge guarding you because you cannot shield. Limit Blade Beam and Cross Slash are potent edge guarding tools, but they cana be shielded and avoided on stage (he can't really combo into them). Limit Climhazard is a potent OoS tool, but it doesn't kill until around 120%-ish on most characters. Finishing Touch is a hard read only option, so you just can't complain about that one. His smash attacks carry a fair bit of commitment to them, while f smash is the only one that kills decently early. His tilts are good for what they do (f tilt is a strong poke, d tilt is good for combos and beating falling aerials, up tilt is an extremely good anti air), but they don't kill you at early %s.

Mid level play should not dictate who should be nerfed and buffed. If it did, then :4bowser::4falcon::4littlemac::4dedede::4mario::4ness: need serious nerfs, and :4sheik::4megaman::4ryu::4pikachu: could use a bit of a buff. This thread could use a healthy shot of "git gud" because there have been way too many scrub level complaints recently. Even I was complaining about how dumb Ryu is. I still think he's frustrating to fight, but instead of whining and thinking of how much he needs to be nerfed, I studied and kept practicing the MU until I learned what to do (pro tip, focus more on movement rather than shielding). This is what's expected of us. I know absolutely none of us have perfected the MU against any character, let alone perfect our own gameplay. Once you have exhausted all of your options and there is nothing else you can do against a character, even then you shouldn't complain, because there is nothing stopping you from play a better character or playing the character you are struggling to beat. Or you could just play a different game if you're not having fun.

Djent

Smash Champion
9B is registered for Sumabato this weekend, so we'll probably get to see some more Mewtwo play. He went out at 33rd last time (though worth bearing in mind he'd just switched). His performance at Hirosuma was a bit shaky at first, but he really picked up momentum by the end. I think the character's development will benefit from his contributions.

EDIT: if you haven't seen it already, check out what he did to FILIP.

Last edited:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
LoF Blue only really goes to NJ locals and has neglected regionals and majors mostly (He did go to GOML and did okay ish)

as of Mew^2?

We lost him to Pokken RIP. (His Shadow Mewtwo is really good at least)

Hitaku and Rich Brown are the main ones in America. They live in NorCal and SoCal respectively and got good results.

before Aba burst in to the scene, our regional rep was very good, but ironically it dropped off after his success.

(now back to lurking I go)

:150:

Last edited:

Quantumpen

Smash Apprentice
Mewtwo has reasonable local representation . Who exactly is performing well with Pika other than ESAM?

Again, the main issue here is that we're playing a game which has had a very turbulent meta due to patches -- but the current shape of the meta is not reflective (entirely) of the game as it is now, rather it's indicative of the game as it was before these huge patches reshaped the meta.

There are so many top Diddy/Sheik players doing well because those players learned those characters when they were truly OP, and they have no reason to drop them now as they're still very good. The same is true to a lesser extend of characters like ZSS/Mario/Fox, who've been strong for a long time.

People have only believed in Mewtwo for a few months. He's not an easy character to play correctly -- and he's still not quite as strong as Diddy/Sheik. He's very unlike Cloud in this sense -- who is the only character whose visibility has suddenly risen to Sheik/Diddy levels. Why would these players switch?

it's going to take time for new players to come in and become the type of player who can take a major over the old crowd who have already learned their characters and have ages of tournament experience.

Also, 9B needs to learn that there is more to Mewtwo than fair. In particular he needs to grab and learn his up-smash confirms/read situations. He also needs to learn how to use shadow-ball properly.

His fair combos are pretty sick though =p

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
9B is all about abusing one or two neutral options and trying to convert.

This is literally all the man knows and it shows in his gameplay.

meticulousboy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gradius_16
3DS FC
1005-8934-0229
Also one of the biggest buffs to Mario in this game is no ledge hogging. This improves his recovery by a ridiculous amount which used to be a big weakness for him, possibly the biggest weakness he had. His Up B has dijointed range and is extremely hard to interrupt allowing him to recover for free often in situations where in previous games he'd be gimped. And his great air mobility means he often doesn't even need to up B with good DI anyway.

So in the context of this game, I'd argue Mario is top tier even if by Melee or Brawl standards he wouldn't be. He has great damage output (easily one of the best in the game everytime he gets in), amazing autocancel aerials by Smash 4 standards, probably the best Smash attacks in the game (as far as KO power/hitboxes versus cooldown goes) and so forth.
For what I am about to say, I won't be including Smash 64 or PM. But Mario was strongest in terms of percent given in Melee. So even though his combo game gains the spotlight in Smash 4, doesn't his Melee meta compensate what he doesn't have now?
In the case of his Brawl meta, all I can say is that the slower falling speeds made fishing for Fair less risky.

teddystalin

Smash Apprentice
Placings mean nothing if you don't get to beat or do well against high-level representants of high- and top tier characters. Like I said, show me a Corrin player taking on high- and top level players of various high- and top level characters and I'm totally OK with calling Corrin good.

It just don't really think it's gonna happen.
For a character whose best mains are notoriously travel-averse, racking up a body count of Ally, Zinoto, MVD, Rain, Hyuga, NAKAT, False, Choco, Aerolink, and Rich Brown is pretty respectable. I don't think the character is anything past high-mid/low-high tier at best, but it's not as though there are no notable results.

Mewtwo is generally seen as evenly matched up against Cloud.
From what little we've seen Fox has performed well in the matchup [though on top level only].
Mario also has far better results against Cloud than theory would suggest.
One of Mega Man's stronger selling points in the meta is his reasonably good matchup against Cloud.
Characters that outrange Cloud have been mentioned among the characters that can deal with him, Corrin and Shulk in particular [though the latter is far too difficult to play to specifically be picked up as a secondary character against Cloud].
Nobody really knows how the Cloud v Diddy matchup goes, results are crazy inconsistent.
Bayonetta still exists, wouldn't be surprised if she's even with Cloud too.
Considering how often Marss and Nairo have ended the hopes and dreams of Tweek and M2K, how's the ZSS MU looking? I know the theory has been anti-ZSS, but have results done anything to change that?

Quantumpen

Smash Apprentice
Well, he's at least contributing something to the Mewtwo meta -- optimized punishes. That's something other top Mewtwo players could benefit from.

You'd be surprised how far you can get with the d-tilt/fair wall against most of the cast. They're pretty oppressive buttons, only a few top tiers can really get around them reliably.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
all of the :4pikachu: players I'm aware of that have gotten results

*regions may not be totally accurate

ESAM :4pikachu: (Florida/Southern California)
NAKAT :4pikachu:(Tristate)
Captain L :4pikachu: (Pacific Northwest/British Columbia)
Z :4pikachu: (Arizona/Southwest)
Hoenn :4pikachu: (Midwest)
Nero :4pikachu:(Michigan/Midwest)
PikaPika! :4pikachu: (New York)
Shimitake :4pikachu: (Japan)
Tachyon :4pikachu:(Florida)
FuTure :4pikachu: (NorCal/West Coast)
DM888 :4pikachu: (New England)
Rideae :4pikachu:(Florida)
NCJacobT :4pikachu:(SoCal/WEst Coast)
Karoegu :4pikachu:(Japan)
Zeke :4pikachu:(Japan)
Axe :pikachumelee:
(Arizona always wins baby)

NAKAT uses lots of characters though so I dunno if he still uses Pikachu.

Last edited:

ARISTOS

Smash Ace
EDIT: if you haven't seen it already, check out what he did to FILIP.
Next thing people will say now will be stop taking people to Mewtwoville

he is not the gatekeeper of this game. That title pretty much belongs to :rosalina: (Can your character deal with Luma? No? GG EZ$).
Can we firm up a response to this? People constantly say Rosa is the gatekeeper of the game- yet I'm not buying it. The character has remained fairly underplayed throughout her tournament life and IMO rode on a lack of experience against puppet characters of her type. Maybe it's just the lack of seeing Dabuz and Rayquaza at more events but I don't see her holding many characters back.

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion

ESAM :4pikachu:
NAKAT :4pikachu:
Captain L :4pikachu:
Z :4pikachu:
Hoenn :4pikachu:
Nero :4pikachu:
PikaPika! :4pikachu:
Shimitake :4pikachu:
Tachyon :4pikachu:
FuTure :4pikachu:
DM888 :4pikachu:
Ridae :4pikachu:
NCJacobT :4pikachu:
Karoegu :4pikachu:
Zeke :4pikachu:

Holy crap.....

Can you make a "players of all characters" list? Cause you'll probably get all of the best ones wow.

(Also, can you state what region each is from)

Marcbri

Smash Lord
NNID
Marcbri
Beats Cloud: :4sheik::4pikachu:

Goes even with him: :4bayonetta::4diddy::4fox::4zss:

Potentially goes even: :4myfriends::4pit::4darkpit::4megaman::4mewtwo::4corrin::4dk:

:4bowser::4falcon::4dk::4falco::4littlemac::4kirby::4link::4luigi::4mario::4marth::4lucina::4metaknight::4palutena::4peach::4ryu::4shulk::4tlink::4robinm: all have tools to deal with him, whether it be exploiting his recovery, bopping him in disadvantage, or having a kill confirm on him that works for a wide range since Cloud has a good weight, fall speed, and height for combos. They might not beat him, but none of these MUs are total blowouts. Over half the cast can realistically hope to beat Cloud.

Cloud is a dumb character, and can be super frustrating to fight, but he is not the gatekeeper of this game. That title pretty much belongs
I'm not so sure that Cloud loses to Pika, I actually use him to deal with Pika lol. Yep you are dead when you are out of the stage Pikachu has no way to get in at all. As long as Cloud doesn't lose neutral too often, which he shouldn't, he'll be fine.

Robin has no way at all to deal with Cloud. Limit > Thoron so Robin is forced to approach, something he sucks at. Cloud can win against Robin just by reacting to anything he does, since he has an answer to pretty much everything. I also see MK losing hard in this MU, there's just no way he can get in, his poor neutral game is no match for Cloud's. Before at least you could get kills often if you somehow got in, but not even that happens anymore. I do agree that others such as Bowser, Marth or Mario do well in the MU, but I think this post is a bit too optimistic with some characters. There are others I have doubts on like Palu, Luigi and Link, but I haven't played those enough to be sure.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Kirby absolutely does not go even with Cloud. Cloud's mobility is a huge problem, and his damage racking is great. Then you also have to remember that Kirby is pretty light, so stocks are easily taken off of him. Uthrow doesn't kill Cloud until pretty late, meaning our options involve unsafe reads or gimps. The latter is far more viable, but even that can be difficult due to Cloud's airspeed.

Additionally, Kirby can't really challenge Cloud from above or below due to uair and dair respectively. It's not a great matchup, IMO.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
For a character whose best mains are notoriously travel-averse, racking up a body count of Ally, Zinoto, MVD, Rain, Hyuga, NAKAT, False, Choco, Aerolink, and Rich Brown is pretty respectable. I don't think the character is anything past high-mid/low-high tier at best, but it's not as though there are no notable results
Respectable wins, no doubt. Let's dig a bit deeper now though.

Zinoto and MVD both lost with Diddy who is universally seen as one of Corrin's worst matchups. Zinoto lost on his first encounter to Ryuga's Corrin, then beat him twice in the same bracket and never lost to Corrin again. I don't know who the Corrin player that beat MVD is but if it's Ryo or Ryuga I'm not surprised by that outcome. Like, who has not beaten MVD at this point yet <_<

The wins against NAKAT, False, AeroLink and Rich are what I assume to be individual wins by various different Corrin players, correct? Are those just 1-0 records? What about the character usage? Having possible advantages against Toon Link or Marth - which Corrin may or may not have - isn't that big a deal and I'm totally down to place Cloud vs Corrin as even for the time being [Cloud is who Rain used when he lost to Yoc I assume]. Ally is a huge win but once against it hasn't proven to be more than a one-time only thing. Still, I can absolutely see Corrin doing well against Mario to the point where she even has the advantage.

All in all these wins are good but not very indicative of Corrin's matchups, mainly because there's not a large quantity of them [which I understand can also be used as an argument *for* Corrin until the character starts winning/losing en masse]. I don't think anybody could confidently make a call on ZSS vs Corrin, for instance, just because Choco lost to a Corrin player [worth mentioning that Choco does no longer play smash outside of tournament, focuses nearly entirely on SFV from what I could gather and generally never places any better than 49th at tournaments anymore]. She may be even or better against Mario, Mewtwo or Cloud but anything beyond that would be a major surprise I'd say. She already loses to Diddy, Fox and Sheik and I really don't see how Bayonetta, Sonic and ZSS are supposed to be any better.

Considering how often Marss and Nairo have ended the hopes and dreams of Tweek and M2K, how's the ZSS MU looking? I know the theory has been anti-ZSS, but have results done anything to change that?
I noticed that when irokex13 irokex13 mentioned ZSS that I had forgotten about her. She evidently does fine against Cloud, her record against him is pretty good and theory doesn't mean a lot compared to that. I'd say it's fair to assume that it's even with the possibility to slightly shift into either character's favor over time. We'll see.

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740

ESAM :4pikachu:
NAKAT :4pikachu:
Captain L :4pikachu:
Z :4pikachu:
Hoenn :4pikachu:
Nero :4pikachu:
PikaPika! :4pikachu:
Shimitake :4pikachu:
Tachyon :4pikachu:
FuTure :4pikachu:
DM888 :4pikachu:
Ridae :4pikachu:
NCJacobT :4pikachu:
Karoegu :4pikachu:
Zeke :4pikachu:

For a moment after I saw this I thought "wait what, how did this tournament get 16 pikachu players in top 16?"

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
On the topic of Corrin, his platform coverage is absolutely insane. His FH uair covers the entire top platform of Battlefield, SH bair covers entire platforms and is of course really safe, even his utilt covers almost entire platforms (and with character hurtboxes taken into account, it virtually does cover the whole platform). Tipper usmash is like Sheik's where it matches the height of Battlefield platforms, FH side b will pin to the platform above, and with a back kick, Corrin will land on the ground on the opposite side of the stage with no lag, or on the opposite platform based on positioning. He also just has moves like fair and nair. A lot of Corrin players pressure platforms with neutral b, but honestly Corrin has better options.

Corrin is just a really solid character. Juggling/uair and kill throws means the character has no trouble netting kills, of course disjoints and range give Corrin a formidable neutral, which some people call his, "field of death," he can damage wrack well, etc. He has threatening moves like neutral b and counter that can swing matches, and other early kill options. For Corrin to be bad, really it would mean mobility would have to be a much bigger factor than anyone has realized up to this point, because it would have to balance out some very solid strengths.

Originally the thought was that Corrin's recovery would be exploitable, but it got to the point where people were saying it was nearly untouchable. Now Esam says that it is exploitable (I'm inclined to believe him), and will make a video about it. If it gets to the point where Corrin is heavily edge guardable, it could be troublesome for the character, but if his recovery remains somewhat challenging to deal with, no Smash players are going to go off stage and even try, since that's been the trend since release.

Currently Corrin has almost no results, and almost no mains. Somewhat brought up a point a while ago, that, at the time of Corrin's release, why would anyone drop their established main and spend time working on a new one? There would have to be an achievable end in sight, i.e. Bayonetta and Cloud, or Mewtwo ever since Abadango won Pound. With no established results, I think it's unlikely that we will see anything from Corrin anytime soon--and again, it's because almost none of the good players main him, which I don't think should be understated--it's actually very odd that the character's results are so frequently used against him when everyone here knows that he lacks representation.

To me, the observable evidence that Corrin is a good character is his moveset. He has an amazing moveset. As long as Corrin lacks any real representation, Corrin could receive almost no results for a very long time and I would still think Corrin is a good character.

Last edited:

meticulousboy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gradius_16
3DS FC
1005-8934-0229
Kirby absolutely does not go even with Cloud. Cloud's mobility is a huge problem, and his damage racking is great. Then you also have to remember that Kirby is pretty light, so stocks are easily taken off of him. Uthrow doesn't kill Cloud until pretty late, meaning our options involve unsafe reads or gimps. The latter is far more viable, but even that can be difficult due to Cloud's airspeed.

Additionally, Kirby can't really challenge Cloud from above or below due to uair and dair respectively. It's not a great matchup, IMO.
Is it safe to say that if Kirby struggles with Cloud, then by default he has a bad matchup with Shulk? Because, you know, Speed and Jump Monado Arts are things.

Ethan7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BulbapediaEditor

The problem with Nair is that it loses to pretty much any hitbox. It will also (almost) never trade favorably since it is a multihit. I can see it being useful in a few situations, such as the one you described about counter-hitting an OOS aerial... but for almost every other scenario I can't see it being used over Fair. Fair is larger, quicker, safer, does more damage, and can still lead to followups at low percents.
This may be before 1.1.5 which increased the hitbox sizes.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Is it safe to say that if Kirby struggles with Cloud, then by default he has a bad matchup with Shulk? Because, you know, Speed and Jump Monado Arts are things.
How did you come to THAT of all conclusions? Just curious. Not saying you're wrong.

meticulousboy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gradius_16
3DS FC
1005-8934-0229
How did you come to THAT of all conclusions? Just curious. Not saying you're wrong.
Oh. Someone here said that Cloud in Limit is like Perma-Speed Monado Art. Too lazy to dig this thread. So it would seem like Shulk can easily chase Kirby off stage with Speed or catch him above with Jump in case Kirby tries to be slick by stalling above the stage for awhile.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I wish we'd use more precise, percentile-driven language when we talk about levels of play.

Like what does "high-level" mean? To me that means above 80th percentile or so. (Which for context would include everyone here, easily.) But someone else might say "high-level" referring only to the top 20 or so players in the world, the top 0.001% of regular smash players.

David Sirlin was 100% correct in identifying that top-level play drives the meta-game and is what defines tiering. But I think modern competitive gaming, and especially this community, has significantly over-corrected in the excessive weight they put on that top 0.001%. It's one thing to say yeah, your little cousin's random For Glory matches "don't count". But are we going to say that all tournament matches outside top 16 at national events are equally irrelevant? If so, why do most of us even play this game?

If you propose widening your lens to even 0.1% of the community, you are seen as pandering to "mid-level players". Like, what?

meticulousboy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gradius_16
3DS FC
1005-8934-0229
I wish we'd use more precise, percentile-driven language when we talk about levels of play.

Like what does "high-level" mean? To me that means above 80th percentile or so. (Which for context would include everyone here, easily.) But someone else might say "high-level" referring only to the top 20 or so players in the world, the top 0.001% of regular smash players.

David Sirlin was 100% correct in identifying that top-level play drives the meta-game and is what defines tiering. But I think modern competitive gaming, and especially this community, has significantly over-corrected in the excessive weight they put on that top 0.001%. It's one thing to say yeah, your little cousin's random For Glory matches "don't count". But are we going to say that all tournament matches outside top 16 at national events are equally irrelevant? If so, why do most of us even play this game?

If you propose widening your lens to even 0.1% of the community, you are seen as pandering to "mid-level players". Like, what?
I think the term describes players who don't roll spam for one, and know how to capitalize on a read move well for another. Players that are essentially never afraid to fight someone even with the thought of losing when they know a loss is coming constitutes high-level in my dictionary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom