• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v1.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Djent

Smash Champion
I have another suggestion

How about we put harsher infractions on people who make posts non-beneficial to this thread and then give the power of this thread to multiple mods instead of just shaya? One person can't monitor multiple people at the same time efficiently.
What's this? Someone responded to my exasperated (yet still tongue-in-cheek) suggestion with an actually constructive one? Hey, maybe there's hope for this place yet. :b:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
here's Quilly set vs. Joe

A duck Hunt by the name of Shevy is currently going up against Dakpo
Aaaaaaaaaaaaannd not impressed.

Just alot of missed opportunities by Toronto Joe combined with Quilly being straight up better.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
Lol, I know Quilly. He's an odd dude that does straight up obtuse options to throw you off. He is better than some give him credit for. Funny thing is, Quilly only plays Falco against Fox. Other wise, he plays Bowser, Mewtwo, Fox.

Shevy is an interesting fellow in Chicago that mains Mario,but will bust out Duck hunt if he believes that camping is the way to go.

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Falco needs buffs like no ones business. Mainly in the mobility department and fix on his jab transition to rapid jab and a special wishlist buff of increased trip chance on reflector so it will be less unsafe on hit.

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
also FS frozen sends False to losers.
What does frozen play in 4?
I think he mains Rosalina.

Who did False use? If he used Sheik, that matchup is looking to be tough for Sheik. If he used Marth........ I told you guys that matchup isn't even.

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
So uh, Dire, a Bowser main, beat Nairo 2-0. Yeh....

EDIT:And Frozen is using Corrin vs Pink Fresh, so I think it is a Corrin main.

Last edited:

Greward

Smash Lord
I hope this makes people realize bowser is ****ing good atm.

Although I expect him to go under the radar for a few more months.

sedrf

Smash Journeyman
FS Frozen:4corrinf:( :mewtwopm: a strong pm player ) is 1-0 up vs pink fresh after upsetting false.

JustSomeScrub

Smash Journeyman
Bowser has now beaten Vinnie, Void and Nairo. And took Ally and M2K to game 5.

Can we stop pretending he isn't high tier now? He lives forever, has a pivot grab that extends half the stage and has a kill confirm at 70-90ish. What more do you need in a great character? It's not like this game is full of ridiculous zoning characters that can keep Bowser out easily.

I'd also like to point out it seems all of Bowser's big wins have been off stream.

Last edited:

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
Bowser has now beaten Vinnie, Void and Nairo. And took Ally and M2K to game 5.

Can we stop pretending he isn't high tier now? He lives forever, has a pivot grab that extends half the stage and has a kill confirm at 70-90ish. What more do you need in a great character? It's not like this game is full of ridiculous zoning characters that can keep Bowser out easily.

I'd also like to point out it seems all of Bowser's big wins have been off stream.
Another mid tier main that tries to convince people his character is better than it actually is due to random hyperbole and player losses. How many of you are there?
Last time it was Duck Hunt mains swearing their character is now high tier and Olimar mains trying to say he was as well. Guess it's Bowser's turn.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Mr. E takes Tweek to game 5, loses 2-3

amazing set but Mr. E did a lot of unsafe stuff game5 imo and Battlefield looks rough for Marth vs. Cloud

Last edited:

JustSomeScrub

Smash Journeyman
Another mid tier main that tries to convince people his character is better than it actually is due to random hyperbole and player losses. How many of you are there?
Last time it was Duck Hunt mains swearing their character is now high tier and Olimar mains trying to say he was as well. Guess it's Bowser's turn.
I don't play Bowser but it's clear as day he's way better than people think. The results speak for themselves. There are several characters ranked above him that do not have the recent great results he does.

I don't get why people want him to be bad.

Maybe because they play theory fighter all day instead of the actual game.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Wish I had seen the False/Frozen set. I hope Frozen continues to focus on 4 more. His PM Mewtwo is incredible and his Corrin is nothing to scoff at. The character would love the rep as well.

Bowser... Is okay. Just doing heavy things, really, and that's good. Heavies by design should be causing upsets. It means they work.

JustSomeScrub

Smash Journeyman
Bowser is a lot better than "okay". An "okay" character doesn't get to consistently beat top 10 players in the world. Happens once? You could call it a fluke. 3 times with 3 different players? Not so much. And again, M2K and Ally came close to losing to Bowser as well.

If any mid tier character can do this, why aren't they doing it? At least not in recent times.

Edit:

DDD was considered top 10 material in Brawl.

A character being slow (which Bowser isn't even really) and big/heavy doesn't disqualify them from being high tier.

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
snip
That's because the one who sends the players to the TVs think the Bowser player will lose and it would stream a lame one sided game. Maybe not true, just a thought.

I don't play Bowser but it's clear as day he's way better than people think. The results speak for themselves. There are several characters ranked above him that do not have the recent great results he does.

I don't get why people want him to be bad.

Maybe because they play theory fighter all day instead of the actual game.
Of course he is not as bad as people make him out to be, but hold your horses. And about "recent", this is a game of 58 characters, and only a few are consistently around. Of "obscure" characters, :4duckhunt:had his showing, :4palutena:too, and :4shulk:, and :4littlemac:, :4olimar: a long time ago, and :4yoshi:, :4peach:,:4pikachu:,:4lucas:....See what I mean? The only ones who don't show up much in this waves of "underrated proving himself" are :4darkpit::4drmario::4lucina: because no one likes them, and :4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword: because they are banned/trash/no one likes them. The ones really proving themselves are :4marth::4megaman:.

Last edited:

JustSomeScrub

Smash Journeyman
Most of those characters got resutls early on where lack of MU knowledge/the game being too new could be used as valid excuses.

Now we're almost two years into the meta. If Bowser is STILL doing this well, you can't chalk it up to that. The only logical conclusion is he's a much better character than we all thought.

Bowser is probably mid-tier along with a lot of characters. But what if I also told you mid-tier is actually viable?
Are other mid tier characters upsetting top players left and right in recent times?

Nairo is considered what? Second best in the world by most? Bowser beating him is more than just an upset. It's a statement.

Last edited:

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
What exactly does Bowser have going against him at this point though? Multiple Strong performances against top players late in tourneys is hard to ignore.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Bowser is a lot better than "okay". An "okay" character doesn't get to consistently beat top 10 players in the world. Happens once? You could call it a fluke. 3 times with 3 different players? Not so much. And again, M2K and Ally came close to losing to Bowser as well.

If any mid tier character can do this, why aren't they doing it? At least not in recent times.
How many characters have people latched onto as "potential top 20" before they fall into obscurity after a few good performances? How much did matchup knowledge figure into things, especially considering Bowser was a rare character?

Two tournaments where the character does good in comparison to prior barren results doesn't make him an abrupt high tier. That's not how it works. You need consistent results over a longer period of time to prove this. I don't think people are even contesting the idea of Bowser being decent. But arguing that he's "high tier" is an extremely hard sell - it'd be like determining Dr. Mario to be high tier solely based on that first Nairo v. ESAM run at MLG. You need to see runbacks. You need to see how top players adapt upon facing the matchup again.

If Mix, Dire, Pollo, etc. continue to perform random and unexpected upsets, you'd have a case. Right now, the sample size is far too small.

Djent

Smash Champion
I like how Dire isn't known to you guys.

Such youth.
Funny thing is, this isn't even the first time he's slain a legend. He took Chris G out of losers at an NLBC event during the early days of UMvC3. The reaction was pretty much the same back then too. "Who is this guy?"

Last edited:

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
Can Nairo just screw te Japanese players and send Dire to evo, because this man is hype. Legit I want this man in EVO NOW.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
What exactly does Bowser have going against him at this point though? Multiple Strong performances against top players late in tourneys is hard to ignore.
Disadvantaged state. His neutral + punish game is good enough for him to threaten just about anyone, but if you mess up with him, you really feel your mistakes against good players.

JustSomeScrub

Smash Journeyman

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
top 8 winners side

6WX vs. Tweek
Dabuz vs. VoiD

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Last edited:

JustSomeScrub

Smash Journeyman
They changed the naming, it's just semantics. But fine, if you want to argue he was 12th place at worst, my point still stands. In a game with 39 characters, being in the upper 3rd is pretty darn good.

He had some bad matchups but did very well versus characters above him including Snake, Wario and Marth. And he beat nearly every actual mid tier character easily.

I think Bowser is in a similar position in this game. Not one of the best characters but significantly better than mid tier characters.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom