• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v1.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGoodGuava

Smash Ace
Crap, I forgot about that.

Well, Rosalina is sopposed to be Diddy's worst matchup, so yea, guess he might not lose to many then. Maybe random people like Pika and Luigi? Don't they beat Diddy?
From what I know a lot of players consider the Diddy/Pika MU even, they both have a little bit of trouble taking the stock despite their amazing neutral and combo games, i would give the edge to Pika in edeguarding and Diddy in kill power

juddy96

Smash Lord
If this version of Diddy Kong is one of the best characters in the game, I think the balance team have done a pretty damn good job.

Did counter-play stop Brawl Meta Knight? No. Did ledge-camping stop Smash 4 Meta Knight pre-patch? No, because he still got excellent results. And, as funny as it may sound, players will often respond to counter-play with more counter-play (eg opting to edge-guard against ledge-camping opponents with Smash 4 MK, which proved overall effective against most characters).
Counterplay is what's stopping Melee Fox from taking 1st at every national, just saying

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Pikachu definitely stomps Dedede, but in practice things can go bad and Dedede's fat and has a big hammer so it only takes a couple mistakes to lose your stock. I dunno. Dedede is far from irredeemable, and he's very strong up to mid level. He is able to prey on a lack of confidence or experience more so than most characters in the game. He has a couple good matchups (other heavies, Marth/Lucina, Pit/Dark Pit are all nearly even) and some ways to expand his meta (dunno how consistent Gordo traps and combos can be set up, plus sticking Gordos to the ledge for free edge guards).

He's decidedly bad. Holes in his game plan, large and apparent flaws, etc. Some well placed buffs could bring him into line with the rest of the heavies, or even beyond them. I think there's a very unique and cool character in there, and I'd love to see him improved. But the devs don't like him. Maybe it's because he's such a nuisance on wi-fi. Perhaps they think having mid-level presence is enough. Who can say for sure?

ARISTOS

Smash Ace
:4dedede: is interesting as a heavy quasi-sword character, and like most swords in this game kinda suffers against rushdown.

Buffing the character is dangerous though IMO because the character could quickly become a tad bit overwhelming to play against.

T4ylor

Smash Journeyman
@MistressRemilia I'm just going to respond in order. Dedede doesn't do anything that another character can't already do and his top tier match ups aren't exactly mixed. He loses all of them. Just at varying degrees. Esam thinks Pikachu is 55:45, yeah, but Big D thinks it's 60:40 at best (in Pikachu's favor of course). Post patch Sheik is pretty much the same as before, she runs him over in neutral. So long as she doesn't fully commit to anything she'll get the first kill and run away with it in the end. Personally, I only beat the Sheiks I play because they don't Needle camp the heck out of me and/or don't know how to respond to Gordos. Rosalina has a similar advantage. The only way D3 is winning those 2 match ups is if they don't know how to play against him. Thankfully few people do, because that's what Dedede needs to win. I legitimately think he's bottom 5 and would place him right next to Zelda.

D

Deleted member

:4dedede: is interesting as a heavy quasi-sword character, and like most swords in this game kinda suffers against rushdown.

Buffing the character is dangerous though IMO because the character could quickly become a tad bit overwhelming to play against.
I disagree with your last statement.

Dedede already has some of the weakest KO options of all of the superheavies. Him being only one to have a disjoint differentiates him, but the right improvements wouldn't make the character overbearing in any capacity.

Last edited by a moderator:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
ESAM probably thinks DDD v. Pika isn't that bad because Big D almost beat him (game 3, last stock last hit) at Paragon last year.
But keep in mind that Big D plays Captain L all the time, so he knew the MU far better than Esam. Where as Esam doesn't live near notable DDDs as far as I know.
I'm more inclined to side with Big D's thoughts because he has more experience with the MU at a high level than probably anyone else on the planet

D

Deleted member

ESAM probably thinks DDD v. Pika isn't that bad because Big D almost beat him (game 3, last stock last hit) at Paragon last year.
But keep in mind that Big D plays Captain L all the time, so he knew the MU far better than Esam. Where as Esam doesn't live near notable DDDs as far as I know.
I'm more inclined to side with Big D's thoughts because he has more experience with the MU at a high level than probably anyone else on the planet
Big D is just that good in general tbh. He and KingJames make the character immensely exciting to watch.

Speaking of the latter player, I'm still impressed at how he was able to 2-0 Zinoto considering how difficult the Diddy matchup is for Dedede. For as poorly regarded Dedede is as a character (and I myself don't think highly of him), he does have decent results to his name.

Endurrr

Smash Cadet

buffing any character can potentially make them overwhelming to play against
But if you buff a character correctly and instead of giving them op kill confirms you fix their horrible hitboxes and allow them to actually kill reliably like they should in this case because dedede is a super heavy that for some reason struggles at killing, then it isnt overwhelming, its actually finishing the character.

Illuminose

Smash Ace
Big D is just that good in general tbh. He and KingJames make the character immensely exciting to watch.

Speaking of the latter player, I'm still impressed at how he was able to 2-0 Zinoto considering how difficult the Diddy matchup is for Dedede. For as poorly regarded Dedede is as a character (and I myself don't think highly of him), he does have decent results to his name.
Diddy vs superheavies is actually pretty strange from what I've seen. A lot of the things Diddy kills with kind of barely kill most normal characters (mostly speaking about up smash). Superheavies live so much longer; Diddy can't really kill them effectively unless he lands an fsmash.

Big D vs Zinoto is one example, another is Angel Cortes vs RJ's Bowser which I know Angel has dropped sets to. Maybe there's some inexperience at fault, but it definitely seems like those matchups are less bad than one would think in theory.

G. Stache

Smash Journeyman
Man, were we crucifying Luigi again? Then let me be his defense or whatever so I can try to patch a few things up. Feel free to burn me to the stake as well if I say something wrong. Also, I apologize in advance for the messy paragraphs. I can't write well on a phone. Especially when I'm this excited about the subject :p. Anyways, let's get on with this.

I think I should first bring up that results-wise Luigi is similar to R.O.B, at least that's the case if we look at the results from 2016. They both do well pretty consistently at most levels of play. They just haven't gotten a huge breakthrough result. The thing is: Luigi seems to have a better top tier spread (at least, I've heard that R.O.B has trouble with it's Cloud, Diddy and Bayo MUs. And while ZSS is probably much better than before since ZSS nerfs were a thing, I can't see that MU suddenly becoming a winning MU. Please correct me if I'm mistaken in any of those MU's). Yet some of us seem to be nominating R.O.B for top 20 while calling Luigi a 'disappointment'. I can say that some of the losing MUs Luigi has are either not actually losing or not as bad as theory would show, including top tiers like Sheik and Rosa. For instance: During the week of Pound, there were two tournies where Luigi placed second in. J. Miller beat one of the best Samuses in Europe (forgot the name, sadly. I think it started with a J). And ConCon beat Falln's Rosa. Those are two MUs that Luigi supposedly loses decisively in. Though, in practice, Samus (if played optimally) isn't even a bad MU and Rosa, a character that's said to go 7-3 against Luigi, is still a losing MU...but not looking any worse than a 6-4 with a few results to show it (ConCon's recent win and Boss' 2-0 against a Rosa main called Frozen...though I'm not convinced that Frozen is a great Rosa main). Also, I think that I should explain that I personally get Toon Link practice every day with my brother. You know, another character that's said to cleanly beat Luigi. And while we're definitely not top players, we both agree that the Toon Link vs Luigi MU is very stage dependent (for instance, Luigi does well on battlefield, and Tink does well on FD). And that has to count for something, right? I mean, perhaps it doesn't, and I'll admit, Luigi in theory is a piece of **** character. But when he still has such a limited playerbase continuing to get solid results (at least top 16 at regionals, though J. Miller has had his fair share of top 3 placings, and we had a Luigi main that I still don't recognize named James who got top 32 at Pound...the same placing where iStudying got if memory serves) in practice Luigi doesn't turn out to be such a disappointment. Lack of results definitely isn't a reason why Luigi is bad. And his ****ty theory definitely isn't hampering some of the top Luigi mains if the can still get notable placings. In fact, I just gave to examples that undermine some of the theory that gets brought up all the time. I respect that people have their opinions on other characters, but I'd implore to look at Luigi's decent results and how they're still generally better than the rest of the mid tier gang that he's grouped with (Peach, Wario, Olimar, etc.).

I want to adress one specific point that gets hammered all the time: and that's the fact that Luigi has trouble with his approach. Well first...umm yeah, I can agree with that. But it's not like it's so huge that it makes him instantly 'disappointing'. His approach isn't DDD/Ganon/Kirby levels of ****. He has decent ground mobility (with a nice and slippery foxtrot), a good burst mobility option in the form of cyclone, and has fireballs. His ground speed is actually usable and his walk as good acceleration, allowing a good option for perfect shielding projectiles while constantly moving forward. His fireballs command space and are very spammable at mid range and can actually force some sort of approach if your if your opponent doesn't have a (good) projectile to ease off the pressure (looking at Ryu, Falcon, Marth and Ike as good examples). His cyclone is around the speed of Toon Link's dash and can be used to catch rolls, spot dodges, and some characters trying to run away if their dashes are too slow. It's also able to be used from the air to cut right through some projectiles and hit the opponent (for example: it's good for punishing Tink's boomerang and arrows if used too close). And yeah, I'll admit that Cyclone has quite a bit of end lag. But when people like ConCon have shown how to use it safely in creative ways, it shows that you can mitigate the end lag to the point where it's hard to punish.

Luigi's disadvantage state is also underrated in his thread. Nair, while not actually hitting a lot of the time, makes people respect Luigi and they always need to be aware that Luigi has a frame 3 Nair that can kill/set up for combos of his own. So it's more of a mental aspect. Retreating cyclone to offstage is a very unique way of getting away from danger. Using retreating cyclone but staying onstage is certainly still usable, but is more easily punished if the opponent doesn't stupidly drop their shield. B reverse fireball is also a good way to swing momentum and hopefully get away from the opponent while firing a fireball to maybe protect them from incoming harm (I want to test this out more, I admittedly don't use this enough. So I don't know if I'm over/underselling this technique. But it's certainly there. Other than that, you should also respect a Luigi's recovery if he's good at mixing up his recovery and can perform a Jumpless Cyclone. Luigi's individual recovery tools are linear, but have a lot of mix up potential and Jumpless cyclone can suddenly put you into the bad position offstage instead of Luigi (whether you're sent down for the gimp or sent up for the juggle situation). Luigi has a problem against disjointed edgeguarding, but he can also recover deeper than every character with a good edgeguarding game + a disjoint except for DDD, MK and possibly limit Cloud. So he can try to stall put a poorly timed recovery if he plays his cards right, and has access to a decent air dodge if it comes to that.

I won't touch up on Luigi's advantage because I think we all know that it's quite good, so I'll end it here (plus, my hand is going numb from typing this long, aren't I a wimp?). I don't mean to sound rude or condescending and I can see why some people find my main poorly designed/a bad character. But I'm just putting my opinion up with a few facts about Luigi to hopefully support my it. I honestly see Luigi around the 20th-22nd range if I'm being completely honest. And if you don't agree with me, then great. No, really, that's how we get the debates started. But feel free to respond to this in any way you feel is fit and let's have a conversation. And if I said anything blatantly untrue or a if I mentioned a few suspect statements, then call out on them so I won't make the same mistakes twice. But this is my take on Luigi as of now.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Come on, does Lucas rep needs to die even further?
I wouldn't count out Lucas just yet, especially with Mekos finally getting deep into competitive Smash 4. Dude's a great player, I'm very sure he'll grow to be a large force in Lucas' meta like he was back in Brawl.

sedrf sedrf is right too. Taiheita is getting legit results in Japan.

Shady Shaymin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-3217-2048
What's up with lucas's meta anyway? I know so little about this character despite having played against a few good reps on smashladder. It seems like he focuses a lot on grab conversions and has a slight edge over ness in the neutral, recovery, and mobility, while lacking the same kill confirms that ness has? Idk. It seems like his reps really want him to shine, and I admire that and wish his reps nothing but the best.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
I disagree with your last statement.

Dedede already has some of the weakest KO options of all of the superheavies. Him being only one to have a disjoint differentiates him, but the right improvements wouldn't make the character overbearing in any capacity.
D3's Fair and Dair right now are horribly undertuned moves that could receive substantial buffs without being OP. He could also use Utilt being made into a solid kill option. None of these would make him broken or even particularly good.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Could we talk about Dedede for a bit please?

I've been interested in him because of how, in theory, he seems to have some kind of pseudo-niche.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but Dedede's top tier matchups are kind of mixed, but there is a few of them worth trying out because they're kind of do-able? Esam thinks Dedede/Pika is 45/55 which is plausible given Pika's horrendous killing problems & Dedede's range over him. Post Patch Sheik might be okay as well for the same reasons,i've heard Meta Knight was already decent for Dedede back then, so now it's probably still decent. Rosalina seems to be okay as well, some japanese Dedede beat Atelier with Dedede recently, he seems pretty good at taking away Luma.

So yeah, Dedede may be an okay character, probably not reaching any spot above MidLow tier, but still.
Dedede's interesting. For every top/high he does good against, there's another that teabags him and forces him to gargle. Bayo is hilariously bad while Cloud, Mario, and Villager are pretty rough in my experience. Dedede also has weird sucky matchups you wouldn't expect like Samus and Megaman and I'd personally make a case for Wii Fit and Corrin being bad too. Dedede has an odd niche against light characters that struggle to kill and other heavyweights. His biggest crutch is definitely decently mobility characters with good aerials, range, and sturdy projectiles.

D

Deleted member

D3's Fair and Dair right now are horribly undertuned moves that could receive substantial buffs without being OP. He could also use Utilt being made into a solid kill option. None of these would make him broken or even particularly good.
Up smash is also pretty terrible. Lackluster knockback, notable cooldown and the hitbox doesn't match the animation which makes it commonly miss at close range.

Up tilt is already a decent anti-air, but I'd rather focus on it being faster rather than stronger, the move already scales rather well with Rage. It having a sourspot is pretty pointless too. The move should allow Dedede to trap landings better.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Man, were we crucifying Luigi again? Then let me be his defense or whatever so I can try to patch a few things up. Feel free to burn me to the stake as well if I say something wrong. Also, I apologize in advance for the messy paragraphs. I can't write well on a phone. Especially when I'm this excited about the subject :p. Anyways, let's get on with this.

I think I should first bring up that results-wise Luigi is similar to R.O.B, at least that's the case if we look at the results from 2016. They both do well pretty consistently at most levels of play. They just haven't gotten a huge breakthrough result. The thing is: Luigi seems to have a better top tier spread (at least, I've heard that R.O.B has trouble with it's Cloud, Diddy and Bayo MUs. And while ZSS is probably much better than before since ZSS nerfs were a thing, I can't see that MU suddenly becoming a winning MU. Please correct me if I'm mistaken in any of those MU's). Yet some of us seem to be nominating R.O.B for top 20 while calling Luigi a 'disappointment'. I can say that some of the losing MUs Luigi has are either not actually losing or not as bad as theory would show, including top tiers like Sheik and Rosa. For instance: During the week of Pound, there were two tournies where Luigi placed second in. J. Miller beat one of the best Samuses in Europe (forgot the name, sadly. I think it started with a J). And ConCon beat Falln's Rosa. Those are two MUs that Luigi supposedly loses decisively in. Though, in practice, Samus (if played optimally) isn't even a bad MU and Rosa, a character that's said to go 7-3 against Luigi, is still a losing MU...but not looking any worse than a 6-4 with a few results to show it (ConCon's recent win and Boss' 2-0 against a Rosa main called Frozen...though I'm not convinced that Frozen is a great Rosa main). Also, I think that I should explain that I personally get Toon Link practice every day with my brother. You know, another character that's said to cleanly beat Luigi. And while we're definitely not top players, we both agree that the Toon Link vs Luigi MU is very stage dependent (for instance, Luigi does well on battlefield, and Tink does well on FD). And that has to count for something, right? I mean, perhaps it doesn't, and I'll admit, Luigi in theory is a piece of **** character. But when he still has such a limited playerbase continuing to get solid results (at least top 16 at regionals, though J. Miller has had his fair share of top 3 placings, and we had a Luigi main that I still don't recognize named James who got top 32 at Pound...the same placing where iStudying got if memory serves) in practice Luigi doesn't turn out to be such a disappointment. Lack of results definitely isn't a reason why Luigi is bad. And his ****ty theory definitely isn't hampering some of the top Luigi mains if the can still get notable placings. In fact, I just gave to examples that undermine some of the theory that gets brought up all the time. I respect that people have their opinions on other characters, but I'd implore to look at Luigi's decent results and how they're still generally better than the rest of the mid tier gang that he's grouped with (Peach, Wario, Olimar, etc.).

I want to adress one specific point that gets hammered all the time: and that's the fact that Luigi has trouble with his approach. Well first...umm yeah, I can agree with that. But it's not like it's so huge that it makes him instantly 'disappointing'. His approach isn't DDD/Ganon/Kirby levels of ****. He has decent ground mobility (with a nice and slippery foxtrot), a good burst mobility option in the form of cyclone, and has fireballs. His ground speed is actually usable and his walk as good acceleration, allowing a good option for perfect shielding projectiles while constantly moving forward. His fireballs command space and are very spammable at mid range and can actually force some sort of approach if your if your opponent doesn't have a (good) projectile to ease off the pressure (looking at Ryu, Falcon, Marth and Ike as good examples). His cyclone is around the speed of Toon Link's dash and can be used to catch rolls, spot dodges, and some characters trying to run away if their dashes are too slow. It's also able to be used from the air to cut right through some projectiles and hit the opponent (for example: it's good for punishing Tink's boomerang and arrows if used too close). And yeah, I'll admit that Cyclone has quite a bit of end lag. But when people like ConCon have shown how to use it safely in creative ways, it shows that you can mitigate the end lag to the point where it's hard to punish.

Luigi's disadvantage state is also underrated in his thread. Nair, while not actually hitting a lot of the time, makes people respect Luigi and they always need to be aware that Luigi has a frame 3 Nair that can kill/set up for combos of his own. So it's more of a mental aspect. Retreating cyclone to offstage is a very unique way of getting away from danger. Using retreating cyclone but staying onstage is certainly still usable, but is more easily punished if the opponent doesn't stupidly drop their shield. B reverse fireball is also a good way to swing momentum and hopefully get away from the opponent while firing a fireball to maybe protect them from incoming harm (I want to test this out more, I admittedly don't use this enough. So I don't know if I'm over/underselling this technique. But it's certainly there. Other than that, you should also respect a Luigi's recovery if he's good at mixing up his recovery and can perform a Jumpless Cyclone. Luigi's individual recovery tools are linear, but have a lot of mix up potential and Jumpless cyclone can suddenly put you into the bad position offstage instead of Luigi (whether you're sent down for the gimp or sent up for the juggle situation). Luigi has a problem against disjointed edgeguarding, but he can also recover deeper than every character with a good edgeguarding game + a disjoint except for DDD, MK and possibly limit Cloud. So he can try to stall put a poorly timed recovery if he plays his cards right, and has access to a decent air dodge if it comes to that.

I won't touch up on Luigi's advantage because I think we all know that it's quite good, so I'll end it here (plus, my hand is going numb from typing this long, aren't I a wimp?). I don't mean to sound rude or condescending and I can see why some people find my main poorly designed/a bad character. But I'm just putting my opinion up with a few facts about Luigi to hopefully support my it. I honestly see Luigi around the 20th-22nd range if I'm being completely honest. And if you don't agree with me, then great. No, really, that's how we get the debates started. But feel free to respond to this in any way you feel is fit and let's have a conversation. And if I said anything blatantly untrue or a if I mentioned a few suspect statements, then call out on them so I won't make the same mistakes twice. But this is my take on Luigi as of now.
Luigi's nerfs are only stupid if you're of the mindset that the devs are trying to make everyone top tier. Fact is for the most part they don't care who is the best character, in Smash what matters to them is that they fit the depictions of the characters from their source material (and before you raise your pitchforks Ganondorf players, he's always been a real slow mover with power hits), and this time fixing any overwhelming strengths or (unintended) glaring weaknesses.

Comparing him to Doc is basically apples and oranges: they may have similar tools and stats on the surface but their subtle nuances greatly differ how they play. Luigi harasses his opponent with fireballs and fairs before unleashing his combos, while Doc brickwalls them with his crunchy bair and usmash. Luigi is overall better because he has more explosive damage output and his weaknesses in recovery and approaching aren't as significant as Doc's, but the latter's toolset can lead to him having some specific better matchups.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
FAir got inexplicably nerfed the first patch along with DThrow but could definitely be made better again. A lot of DAirs in this game are bad, Dedede having a bad one doesn't strike me as being a huge detriment, especially when fastfalled NAir functions as a (mediocre) landing option.

D

Deleted member

FAir got inexplicably nerfed the first patch along with DThrow but could definitely be made better again. A lot of DAirs in this game are bad, Dedede having a bad one doesn't strike me as being a huge detriment, especially when fastfalled NAir functions as a (mediocre) landing option.
Nair being unsafe on shield is literally the only thing about the move that makes it fall short. Sweetspot nair has killing potential at high percents and sour nair combos into up tilt at low percents and up air at higher percents. Definitely one of the shining moves in Dedede's toolkit if you has to ask me.

I will always miss Dedede's Brawl dair. It gave him an actual way to pressure shields, autocanceled, and you could do (situational) tech chases with it.

sedrf

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of potential tournament prospects:
:4pit::4darkpit:
When you look at their stats and their frame data it just looks like sold lower high tier,but right now their more in the upper mid tier.
I feel there is much more that people can invest into or possibility they might get a little tweaks.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Whilst I don't think Luigi is a bad character, competition for top 20 is fierce right now. You can throw him in at roughly 20th or whatever, but when you consider how many characters he's competing with for that spot, it's easy to understand why opinions of him have dropped.

For example, let's take a rough top 20. Out of the following characters...

:4bayonetta::rosalina::4sheik::4zss::4cloud::4diddy::4mario::4fox::4sonic::4mewtwo::4ryu::4metaknight::4ness::4villager::4tlink::4corrin::4greninja::4pikachu::4rob::4falcon:

...who has less of a claim to top 20 than Luigi? All of them have better results or theory than him, usually both.

Dropping down to top 25, the following characters...

:4yoshi::4dk::4myfriends::4lucario::4pit::4darkpit::4peach::4megaman::4wario2:

...are still fighting for a place. Rolling the Pits into one, that's another 8 characters you've got to argue Luigi above. Whilst I personally think he's better than everyone there except the first four (and you could potentially argue he's above those four as well) it's hard to get people to agree on who he's better than.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Is that such a bad thing?
Maybe "A brawl minus situation" is the wrong way of putting it because Brawl Minus focuses on the raw fun of the movesets.

Even the OP characters in this and previous SSB games haven't been that over the top fun, really. I think PM does a good job walking the line of balance and fun, IMO.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

I disagree. Dedede's mobility is still one of the worst in the game and he thrives more defensive tactics and set ups than offensive ones. Like Bowser Jr, it takes a tactical genius for Dedede to be anywhere close to "overwhelming" unless you're simply unfamilar with the match up. Buffs at this point should focus on making his kill options more potent and his defensive tactics more viable.

Take a look at this, for example (yes, I'm fully aware it's a combo video but bear with me). Notice how Girthquake's tricks are impressive but mainly because he knows things like the exact positioning of characters after knockback. This is because a lot of Dedede's kill options don't come by that naturally but, because of how fat he is, a player will typically have more chances to use them, making him appear deadlier than he actually is. Kill option wise, the only other heavy with less impressive kill options is probably Wario (or some would argue Megaman but I don't agree with this). All around, uair and bair are probably his best and safest kill options but keep in mind that bair is a giant swing and not exactly instantaneous. For things like his smash attacks, they usually require a hard read and aren't exactly things you just want to throw out there. Other kill options, like point blank gordos, can heavily backfire so, all in all, Dedede doesn't really have the safe kill options like Bowser and DK have. Their kills come by a lot more naturally while Dedede's need more strategy or, one could say, "style" to pull off.

nannerham

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nannerham
Yoshi has been getting decent results lately, from use in top 8's at regionals and even to raptor getting 17th at pound, sheik was honestly a roadblock for him and it was a shame because the dinosaur has some awesome attributes going for him, but now we can finally see yoshi do well in tournament (diddy still bops him though).

Yikarur

Smash Master
I think I was the only Yoshi saying that Yoshi vs. Sheik might've been even prepatch but everyone was sure it's -1 so I settled with it.
The MU was about even if you managed to avoid the 50:50 and so it's probably pretty even to +1 (for Yoshi) right now. The MU is no fun for Sheik because she has to play super defensively/safely because she can die really early to Yoshi moves and Yoshi is really really good in avoiding Sheiks killmoves. She is still superior framewise and if she plays really campy and safe all the time Yoshi has a really hard time getting in the game.

I played Gregs at Avalon and he played insanely campy. He won game 2 by timeout (2 stocks left | of 3) and Game 3 would've been a timeout as well but he didn't secure the lead and had to approach and that didn't end well for him.

so I think it's even if you play that ugly.. but I have to gather more data on that MU post patch. Didn't play the new Sheik MU much so far. It just felt prepatch that the MU was about even (or a very weak -1)
I've never lost to a worse sheik and played along the best sheiks my region had to offer. (Mr-R dropped a game to a Yoshi before and twittered prepatch that he thinks Yoshi is 55-45 for sheik)

AT LEAST Yoshi doesn't lose that MU anymore imo.

E: Sheik was not a roadblock. Diddy is the roadblock and that will probably never change..

Last edited:

ARISTOS

Smash Ace
Hmm, I guess I was wrong about Dedede.

I was thinking on the terms that being able to space around a huge radius and being hard to get in on while also being hard to kill would end up being an obnoxious combination. Need to rethink probably

nannerham

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nannerham
E: Sheik was not a roadblock. Diddy is the roadblock and that will probably never change..
Roadblock was poor wording on my part, nuisance is a better term for pre-patch sheik and I do agree that if sheik is playing aggressive and is constantly trading with yoshi that its no fun for sheik, I'm just happy he's being used more lol.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

I was thinking on the terms that being able to space around a huge radius and being hard to get in on while also being hard to kill would end up being an obnoxious combination. Need to rethink probably
Except this ties into two of Dedede's biggest weakness: having the second worst landing options in the game after Bowser and having no safe close combat options aside from his shield grab. Once you do break Dedede's zone, it's hard for him to get back into it except against slow (whether in the air, on the ground, or both) characters. For example, Mario and Cloud outmaneuver Dedede and can juggle him to oblivion while characters like Megaman and Villager can outzone him until it's time to get the kill. Dedede's disadvantage state onstage is pretty bad and, because of being wheezy and diabetic, Dedede doesn't get "HA HA, THE TABLES HAVE TURNED" moments on stage except with shield breaks or early fsmash kills.

D

Deleted member

Dedede's defenses aren't very hard to break, honestly.

Dedede is a matchup where to fight him, you gotta know him. A lot of people talk about how tripped up they are by a Dedede player in their region and bracket in lose badly, then they come back after learning the MU and end up beating them. He's a character who strives off MU inexperience.

Except this ties into two of Dedede's biggest weakness: having the second worst landing options in the game after Bowser and having no safe close combat options aside from his shield grab. Once you do break Dedede's zone, it's hard for him to get back into it except against slow (whether in the air, on the ground, or both) characters. For example, Mario and Cloud outmaneuver Dedede and can juggle him to oblivion while characters like Megaman and Villager can outzone him until it's time to get the kill. Dedede's disadvantage state onstage is pretty bad and, because of being wheezy and diabetic, Dedede doesn't get "HA HA, THE TABLES HAVE TURNED" moments on stage except with shield breaks or early fsmash kills.
Multijumps and a fast falling speed help D3 out somewhat, but he definitely has a hard time landing.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Dedede's biggest weakness: having the second worst landing options in the game after Bowser
I think that this isn't true. He has 5 jumps, a high fast fall speed, nair is decent but not exactly safe, spaced bair is pretty nice too. He can also use inhale I guess? Yeah his airspeed really hurts him here, but he can't be worse off than like, Little Mac.

Edit: BTFO by Feelicks

Last edited:

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
I've been playing Dedede a lot the last month or so, sometimes I pull him out at tournaments because he can beat players inexperienced in the MU pretty reliably. But I think he's bad and I don't understand why Japan has him ranked so high.

He loses to so many playstyles it's unreal, zoning in particular, even by characters that aren't great zoners, just totally craps on him, sword fighters generally beat him, and the rush down as well. He has a terrible matchup spread and he does not secretly beat any top/high tiers at all.

Huge hurtbox plus almost non existent air speed plus slow on the ground is a terrible combination, but for whatever reason his combination of weight, fall speed, and gravity is absolutely perfect for making him get put into tech chases all the dang time, even by random moves that don't put hardly anyone else in the cast into a tech chase situation. He may very well be the worst at CQC in the game, not only is his jab frame 10 but it doesn't link properly on many characters. His dtilt might keep it from the worst in the game, but regardless, it's terrible.

He has a big grab with big reward. Gordo is pretty good, especially for ledge traps, his neutral is moderately good with his aerials, ftilt, I guess his command grab lol, and his grab, but it's easily sub par and ruined by any amount of zoning from the opponent. And his stinking frame 6 jumpsquat and 6 frame hard landing lag, he can't wall as effectively with aerials as he could otherwise.

And he can't kill very well. I can't wrap my head around why Dedede was designed with so much trouble killing, what exactly were the developers going for? It's not unusual to have to wait until 160-180 to get kills with Dedede, unless you land a stray uair, or dsmash with a good read, or bair with a really good read/mistake by the opponent.

I've played Samus vs Dedede from both perspectives and it is atrocious for him. Samus' ability to force tech chases and Dedede's inability to avoid them leads to CS over and over, any hit confirm leading to 40+ damage easily with his size, zoning with zair made exponentially easier by his size, Samus' frame data wrecking him especially CQC, Dedede's trouble killing Samus but Samus getting kills much more easily off CS tech chases, there is just so much wrong with this MU. It's a random 30:70 MU Dedede really shouldn't have.

He has strengths, yeah... He has a really good grab game (wish it could kill), strong disjoints, his recovery is great, 5 jumps... But his weaknesses are huge.

As for the whole, "Buffing him is dangerous thing," no it isn't at all. I think it would be ridiculously challenging to make Dedede an actual dangerous or overpowered character lol. People used to always tell Samus mains that she didn't need buffs that were too big because it was a, "slippery slope," whatever. Samus got huge buffs and she isn't exactly dominating the meta. Bowser and DK got kill confirms, they don't dominate, Dedede absolutely deserves big buffs and I really want to see them.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think that this isn't true. He has 5 jumps, a high fast fall speed, nair is decent but not exactly safe, spaced bair is pretty nice too. He can also use inhale I guess? Yeah his airspeed really hurts him here, but he can't be worse off than like, Little Mac.

Edit: BTFO by Feelicks
Falling inhale isn't anywhere as good as it was in Brawl. It was a really good option back then because it could stop attacks almost as abruptly as Wario's chomp could but they largely neutered it in this game. In Brawl, you could safely do it point blank with little consequence. It went from being one of his best defensive options to just simply being okay. I will concede on Mac having worse landing options, however. Dedede's easily bottom 5 though: :4bowser::4littlemac::4dedede::4duckhunt::4bowserjr: if I were to reevaluate my previous position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom