• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v1.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
It's kinda funny considering SSHC has been around since forever and only now it's getting this sort of attention in the ZSS MU even though Greninja players have been using it for getting out of Boost Kick for a while now.

Granted I never really thought it was that useful in the MU outside of that one niche.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Shadow Sneak Hitstun Cancel is getting all this attention because it bails Greninja out of all of Bayonetta's fancy zero-to-deaths.

Ally was considering picking up greninja and he whines so much about bayo. He should just become a shinobi and quit complaining lol

:150:

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Lucina at 9th and Jigglypuff 7th at a 120 man tournament. Wow. Also, didn't Dunnobro gave up on DHD?
It IS still a local, so I'm not too surprised. Serynder is among the better players there. Nice to see him come out and play. Puff is a dying art.

Dunnobro came back to Duck Hunt starting at Glitch, where he used him for the whole tournament and got just shy of top 8. He expressed interest in playing the character full time again, and it seems he's going for it. Cool!

People in this thread always come back to SSHC because it's surprising it hasn't been removed like the rest of hitstun cancels, and there are plenty of Greninja players in this thread. It's certainly a factor in a few matchups, bit it's largely a gimmick.

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
It's kinda funny considering SSHC has been around since forever and only now it's getting this sort of attention in the ZSS MU even though Greninja players have been using it for getting out of Boost Kick for a while now.

Granted I never really thought it was that useful in the MU outside of that one niche.
This is what happens when a character starts picking up steam like Greninja is now. People start taking notice of (and complaining about) tools the character always had. Not to say anyone's complained excessively about SSHC but it seems to have raised some eyebrows.

It's like how no-one had any problems with Luigi until the Dthrow stuff started and Boss got more recognition, with ZeRo's complaining/losing to ConCon topping it off. Suddenly Fireballs were OP, Cyclone was stupid, his frame data was too good etc.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
This is what happens when a character starts picking up steam like Greninja is now. People start taking notice of (and complaining about) tools the character always had. Not to say anyone's complained excessively about SSHC but it seems to have raised some eyebrows.

It's like how no-one had any problems with Luigi until the Dthrow stuff started and Boss got more recognition, with ZeRo's complaining/losing to ConCon topping it off. Suddenly Fireballs were OP, Cyclone was stupid, his frame data was too good etc.
Once is a fluke, twice is a coincidence, thrice is a pattern. One person doing stupid Luigi stuff is just one person, but a bunch of people? That's indicative of something. And so it is with Greninja's SSHC - now that it's getting more attention, people are noticing even though it's been around for ages.

For my part, I'm in the camp that wants to see it gone. It really is weird that they've let a method of escaping hitstun stay in the game like this.

Last edited:

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
I've seen evidence of Sonic doing extremely well in the sheik matchup prepatch. Seagull Joe has beaten Void, Zero. Ixis took Ramin to game 5,
Once is a fluke, twice is a coincidence, thrice is a pattern. One person doing stupid Luigi stuff is just one person, but a bunch of people? That's indicative of something. And so it is with Greninja's SSHC - now that it's getting more attention, people are noticing even though it's been around for ages.

For my part, I'm in the camp that wants to see it gone. It really is weird that they've let a method of escaping hitstun stay in the game like this.
Yeah it's not fun for a lot of characters knowing they land a multi hit attack (e.g sheik fsmash, zss up-b and Greninja has a win button to free him from death.

Last edited:

biribiri

Smash Cadet
If the devs knew about Greninja's headbonk SDs, I'm sure they know about SSHC. That being said, I don't see them fixing it anytime soon since it still isn't really discussed or complained about much outside this thread.

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Honestly at this point I can't believe they're unaware of the hitstun cancel. They even removed stuff like Palutena's infinite Lightweight which is not even something that could be done in For Glory and stuff. They've removed pretty much exploits in this game except for it to the point one must wonder if they're intentionally keeping it in.

They took out all of the other Shadow Sneak exploits as well, even the ones who weren't even that useful compared to the hitstun cancel. It makes me wonder if there's just something to Shadow Sneak that makes it hard to remove the hitstun cancel without breaking something.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
SSHC is a unique type of cheese. It's main competitive purpose is to keep characters like :4bayonetta::4metaknight::4zss: from...cheesing him.

Two of those elevator combos don't exist anymore, keep in mind that main reasons it's still here is that a.) it keeps the likes of pre patch MK and bayo from killing at absurdly low percent b.) it doesn't let him destroy these characters regardless. He has a small edge over them at best.

I'm okay with an unoppressive character have a gimmicky anti-cheese tactic

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Honestly at this point I can't believe they're unaware of the hitstun cancel. They even removed stuff like Palutena's infinite Lightweight which is not even something that could be done in For Glory and stuff. They've removed pretty much exploits in this game except for it to the point one must wonder if they're intentionally keeping it in.

They took out all of the other Shadow Sneak exploits as well, even the ones who weren't even that useful compared to the hitstun cancel. It makes me wonder if there's just something to Shadow Sneak that makes it hard to remove the hitstun cancel without breaking something.
This is my best guess, although I'm at a loss to explain exactly what about Shadow Sneak would make it so hard to patch.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
SSHC is a unique type of cheese. It's main competitive purpose is to keep characters like :4bayonetta::4metaknight::4zss: from...cheesing him.

Two of those elevator combos don't exist anymore, keep in mind that main reasons it's still here is that a.) it keeps the likes of pre patch MK and bayo from killing at absurdly low percent b.) it doesn't let him destroy these characters regardless. He has a small edge over them at best.

Just going to make a slight correction here, the reason why sshc was good prepatch against mk (and still is) is that it can be used to escape sourspot shuttle loop after the first hit. It was never because of the combo (in which case you could read the sshc and still kill)

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
Can we talk how Mewtwo isnt really bad at any state? His advantage is legit good with stuff like fair, his disadvantage is good with stuff like teleport so people dont guess where you will land, and confusion to stall your landing and his neutral is good with things like shadow ball and dtilt, and he can kill early also!

juddy96

Smash Lord
This weekend's main tournaments are quite simple. Pound 2016 is obviously the big one, and it's joined by a trio of 100+ entrant European tournaments: Hypespotting V (Glasgow, Scotland), Avalon U-III (Zoetermeer, Netherlands), and Tech Republic (Barcelona, Spain). Collegiate Colliseum will also be an event to watch in SoCal.

Last edited:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Mewtwo's disadvantage is pretty bad, and is the only thinking keep him in check in the metagame right now.

Mewtwo has all the tools to handle any character and any playstyle, but if you make too many mistakes or a single mistake in the wrong time, he'll pay big time. Potentially his stock too.

I can account for this. If I become to predictable, or if I get too greedy, and accidentally open myself up to a punish or counterattack, I really feel the weight of my bad choice.

His disadvantage state is bad, but it's almost entirely up to the player to keep him out of it. This applies to a lot of characters, but you really cannot stress this idea enough when it comes to playing as Mewtwo.

Mewtwo doesn't encourage offensive play, or defensive play. The only thing that really matters to mewtwo is smart play. And that is why I believe Mewtwo will probably never have a big player base, because he requires good amount of knowledge on the game and good decision making.

Gideon Warrior

Banned via Warnings
Mewtwo's disadvantage is only bad because he can't take hits. His airdodge easily makes his disadvantage above average, but you just don't wanna get hit as Mewtwo period. I can argue that DK's disadvantage is great to for example, as trading hits as the big ape is generally in his advantage most of the time unless we deal with something specifically overpowered due to his sheer power. I don't think Mewtwo has a bad player base either, especially now. And he's by far not the only characer that requires smart play, or the most technical either. He's just very risky, but most of the time the risk is worth the effort. His latest buffs make him a very strong character now, and lots of people picked him up because of it. I don't think Mewtwo has it bad in any sort of way now.

KERO

Smash Journeyman
Ever since 1.1.0 hit with it still in, I've been pretty positive SSHC is intended. In the past, both Mega Man and Diddy had specials that negated minor hitstun, too, and those were removed pretty quickly. Shadow Sneak definitely can still work properly if they removed it. All they would have to do is prevent the shadow from being able to come out when Greninja is in minor hitstun, and that's far from impossible given that they already took away the shadow's ability to come out during a different state (landing lag). As mentioned, the move itself has received many, many changes throughout the game's lifespan, so it's not as though they've ignored the move. Much more obscure stuff has been taken away such as running Shadow Sneak, indefinite Shadow Sneak, and a method we used to have where we could activate the shadow while having our shield up and not having the shield auto-drop immediately, and yet, SSHC remains. Really, the only argument I can see for it not being intended would be the lack of any in-game hints pointing out this property for the move, but I feel that, with just how much they've touched the move and kept that in, that property is something the developers want the move to have.

As to whether it's dumb or not, Greninja has blindspots right in front of him for two smashes, a hurtbox above his head, and a counter that he can be attacked out of before the hitbox comes out. He's always been an... odd character, whether you're playing as or against him.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Ever since 1.1.0 hit with it still in, I've been pretty positive SSHC is intended. In the past, both Mega Man and Diddy had specials that negated minor hitstun, too, and those were both removed pretty quickly. Shadow Sneak definitely can still work properly if they removed it. All they would have to do is prevent the shadow from being able to come out when Greninja is in minor hitstun, and that's far from impossible given that they already took away the shadow's ability to come out during a different state (landing lag). As mentioned, the move itself has received many, many changes throughout the game's lifespan, so it's not as though they've ignored the move. Much more obscure stuff has been taken away such as running Shadow Sneak, indefinite Shadow Sneak, and a method we used to have where we could activate the shadow while having our shield up and not having the shield auto-drop immediately, and yet, SSHC remains. Really, the only argument I can see for it not being intended would be the lack of any in-game hints pointing out this property for the move, but I feel that, with just how much they've touched the move and kept that in, that property is something the developers want the move to have.
Most iterations of Ninja Kirby have an ability similar to SSHC where pressing the attack button right after taking damage makes him disappear and reappear with an explosion.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Very light, large, a lack of good attacks for landing, and (this is crucial) SLOW AERIAL ACCELERATION are what make Mewtwo's disadvantage bad. The reason why it's not absolutely terrible is that he has so many movement options, like B-reverses, confusion movement mixups, teleport, that excellent air dodge, etc., as well as being able to get away from attacks if given enough room for his air speed to really kick in.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Mewtwo's disadvantage isn't abyssmal but it's definitely not good or above average. He has ways to get out of it; he isn't a sitting duck or nothing, but his is nothing compared to the top tiers and other high tiers.

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Watching @MewSquared win that GF vs. Awestin was really nice. Awestin's an intelligent player and when you outsmart Mewtwo it looks reaaally bad due to his glass cannon-ness. Watching Mew^2 adjust not just throughout this match but from last time they fought shows some serious growth.

Also the Mewtwo vs. Ness matchup is intensely volatile. It's sort of like watching Melee.

Last edited:

19_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
19sean
3DS FC
3239-4949-6616
Mewtwo doesn't encourage offensive play, or defensive play. The only thing that really matters to mewtwo is smart play. And that is why I believe Mewtwo will probably never have a big player base, because he requires good amount of knowledge on the game and good decision making.

This is why I have been playing this character. I have been trying to learn how to become a better player and understand fundamentals of this game. Mewtwo reinforcing smart play may give me a much healthier mindset in the long run. Is there any other characters that can do this?

The ONLY thing that should be fixed about Mewtwo is his teleport. Why it does not snap to the ledge like other teleport recoveries is beyond me. It really makes recovering much more of a pain than it should. :urg:

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
This is why I have been playing this character. I have been trying to learn how to become a better player and understand fundamentals of this game. Mewtwo reinforcing smart play may give me a much healthier mindset in the long run. Is there any other characters that can do this?
Diddy Kong
Fox

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze

If you mean ZSS' elevator is one of those two combos not existing anymore, nothing has been done about it. It never existed to begin with aside from killing light characters with rage (sometimes heavier ones too), which it still does. People are just better at dealing with it now.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
This weekend's main tournaments are quite simple. Pound 2016 is obviously the big one, and it's joined by a trio of 100+ entrant European tournaments: Hypespotting V (Glasgow, Scotland), Avalon U-III (Zoetermeer, Netherlands), and Tech Republic (Barcelona, Spain). Collegiate Colliseum will also be an event to watch in SoCal.
The big names to look out for at Avalon are S1-14 [winning record against istudy], Sodrek [9th at Beast VI, 2nd at PPT], Longo [top placing ROB, 4th at PPT] and Yoh [a very good and underrated Ike player from Germany].

:059:

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

The ONLY thing that should be fixed about Mewtwo is his teleport. Why it does not snap to the ledge like other teleport recoveries is beyond me. It really makes recovering much more of a pain than it should. :urg:
I'd say Ryu, once players learn to stop being obsessed with the combos he can do.

And about the teleport thing...

Also the bounce doesn't happen as much horizontally. If it happens to you horizontally it's because you have not learned to aim it correctly. Most of the times it happens when coming in from below because Mewtwo bounces with the lip of the stage since a lot of Omegas have weird lips. In order to avoid this you SHOULD teleport more horizontally most of the time, or just learn every single lip of every Omega out there, but no one picks Omega's in tournaments so w/e.

Edit: Battlefield's and FD's left side has an invisible wall that you can wall jump on. Learn this wall, as Mewtwo bounces from it too. You can also bounce off of Dreamland too, but those aren't invisible walls and are very clearly visible. These are the only 3 legal stages that you can bounce off of without a special scenario such as the ones I described below. Just learn the walls and slowly drift out of their collision path before Up-Bing.

I will say this: The main reason the bounce happens on most matches is people trying to Teleport immediately after being hit. I've said it many times: There's a global mechanic that you cannot regrab the ledge with Up-B after being hit for a small amount of time (1-2 seconds). There's also a mechanic that you cannot regrab the ledge with Up-B right after letting go (also like 1-2 seconds).

If you try to Teleport on any of those 2 scenarios, Mewtwo will reach the edge, be unable to grab it because of it and then BOUNCE from the edge itself and die. Make a habit of just just dropping down (or Side-Bing) after being hit or letting go of the edge.
In short, bounces happen if you try to teleport right after a hit or letting go of the ledge to regrab. It just so happens that Teleport is the only warp move fast enough to run afoul of these rules.

teddystalin

Smash Apprentice
Remember a couple of months ago when every top player and their dog was posting tier lists and MU charts? Remember how we all got sick of it? I found this new one by Ito and falln to be particularly interesting though: they picked the 17 characters they thought were best, then made an MU chart to see who won the most between all of them before ordering the list.

Some notes:

-They consulted Zan for TL's matchups
-They believe Falcon, DK, and ROB would be the next logical characters to include.
-The only MU they actively defended was Cloud/Luigi, where they say Cloud wins in neutral, but Luigi outdoes him with his solid advantage (including cyclone gimps) and his "slippery" disadvantage.

Thoughts? MU opinions? Inevitable complaints about Luigi being too high?*

*=Playing in a region with Mr. ConCon obviously factors in here.

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Really weird on a lot of fronts.

Sure, inevitable complaint, but Luigi has absolutely no business being in anyone's top tier, let alone 5th with no counters.

Why is Ryu so low?

Disappointing to see Greninja not getting the recognition he deserves, character is just so solid. Playing a true sleeper is quite fun though.

Corrin and ROB being overrated a little, and Rosalina shouldn't be #1 with that Cloud MU.

I actually think all of this is pretty positive though. The fact that no-one can agree who the top characters are, let alone who's #1, speaks for this game's good balance.

EDIT: And judging by this + M2K's recent list, the Pits are dropping noticeably in top players' opinions.

Last edited:

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
I can see why Ryu and Pika are so low, both of their best player is NCJacobT (who frankly isn't as good compared to the SoCal top dogs)

Last edited:

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
Remember a couple of months ago when every top player and their dog was posting tier lists and MU charts? Remember how we all got sick of it? I found this new one by Ito and falln to be particularly interesting though: they picked the 17 characters they thought were best, then made an MU chart to see who won the most between all of them before ordering the list.

Some notes:

-They believe Falcon, DK, and ROB would be the next logical characters to include.
-The only MU they actively defended was Cloud/Luigi, where they say Cloud wins in neutral, but Luigi outdoes him with his solid advantage (including cyclone gimps) and his "slippery" disadvantage.

Seeing how the Smash 4 community still hasn't grown up to the point of understanding exploits of disadvantage state even though you get dominated in Neutral & in your own disadvantage doesn't make a matchup your character's favor is pretty outstanding. It's not like Luigi has even a chaingrab, he is pretty threatening when he grabs you, but with the right reactions & given Cloud's good landing options, i really can't see Luigi vs Cloud being Luigi's favor at all.

Last edited:

G. Stache

Smash Journeyman

Some notes:

Luigi is obviously too high (good Lord, I wish Luigi was top tier), but I will be the first one to defend that his disadvantage is very underrated. I used to think it was complete ****e too...until I saw ConCon land with no troubles against the likes of Void's Sheik and made people work to gimp him. That being said, being underrated doesn't make it great. His recovery is only 'meh' until you can get Jumpless cyclone down (no easy task) and his floatiness can cause problems (especially if you have to try to get past Clouds Uairs). Slippery is probably the best word to use. His advantage is still great (especially with what might be the best gimping move in the game) but not being able to kill off grab anymore is still a noticeable boon. Plus, even with gimping, Cloud can still contend with Luigi's advantage with less effort and his neutral game is positively better than Luigi's. He commands more space and can easily bait Luigi's approach. The MU itself isn't bad at all from my experience (especially if you play it smart and patient), but Luigi definitely doesn't win it. Also, if Luigi doesn't have any counters, then what the hell is Mega Man doing on the character select screen?

Last edited:

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Ryu and pika are so low because they arwnt very good characters lol. I mean they are better than most but they have super exploitable weaknesses. Luigi's mu spread is a bit suspect here. Also i take issue with mk - to cloud and sheik but whatever he is where he belongs,

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Really weird on a lot of fronts.

Sure, inevitable complaint, but Luigi has absolutely no business being in anyone's top tier, let alone 5th with no counters.

Why is Ryu so low?

Disappointing to see Greninja not getting the recognition he deserves, character is just so solid. Playing a true sleeper is quite fun though.

Corrin and ROB being overrated a little, and Rosalina shouldn't be #1 with that Cloud MU.

I actually think all of this is pretty positive though. The fact that no-one can agree who the top characters are, let alone who's #1, speaks for this game's good balance.
It is strange seeing Greninja low. During the 3ds days I thought he was surely top 5, but then he got significant nerfs. However, since then, the game mechanics have changed, and he's gotten buffed again... not quite to the level of absurdity he had in 3ds, but he's overall more solid all around now. The other top tiers, including his worst matchups, have been nerfed. I'm not saying Greninja is top 5 anymore, but he's definitely a solid contender for winning tournaments by himself, so he's... up there somewhere?!

People have traditionally overrated balance changes. In the oldest versions of this game, Rosalina, Sheik, Sonic, Diddy Kong, Greninja, Zero Suit Samus have been very highly rated. Each of them has gotten nerfed, often BIG nerfs, yet they're all still in the top echelon. Meanwhile lower tiers have gotten buffs, often BIG or numerous buffs (Kirby comes to mind here) yet they're still kept low. I forgot what point I was making, but tl;dr Greninja is good, and I'm finding him fun again. I don't even want to play Cloud anymore.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
No, Diddy definitely has losing matchups, especially after his nerfs. He's definitely no longer top-tier, and even Diddy mains adknowledge this fact.

Characters like Bayonetta and Corrin are a hard time for Diddy because they can react safely to his movements, and he can't risk throwing moves against Bayo at all.
:4diddy: has possibly 4 losing matchups IF any, which are :4fox:, :4pikachu:, :4villager: and :4luigi:. He could go even with all these four as well. I consider :4villager: to be especially difficult if the :4villager: plays it like Ranai. :4diddy: is easily back to top 5 in the game again. He has the tools, punishes, and option select to make any matchup hard. It's really hard to debate where he is in the meta. I think it's hard to debate where :4sonic: is in the meta too because the character can be also considered top 5 again at best.

I believe :4sonic: could beat :4sheik: now, but time will tell. I may just be absurdly good at the matchup. Dunno.

My tier list for those curious: https://twitter.com/SeagullSSB/status/712756448229527552

I'd say it's arguable in my tier list the exact positioning of characters within their respective tiers. I tried to put them in order. The only change I would make now from that list is moving :4diddy: to S tier, :4littlemac: to E tier, and :4drmario: to E tier.
:018:

Last edited:

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Cloud isn't even against Rosalina. Come on, Falln. And saying Bayo is even with Rosa tells me he is overselling his character.

I think Toon Link is even with ZSS, and results largely support this. He also beats Luigi.

I disagree with so much of this, I cannot take Luigi being so high seriously. EVER.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
The big names to look out for at Avalon are S1-14 [winning record against istudy].

:059:
Actually S1-14 and iStudy go back and forth a lot, I remember last Avalon iStudy won against him in winners but then lost to him at losers or something. I don't think either has a winning record against the other right now but I might be wrong.

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
The ZSS MUs in that chart look very agreeable. Rosalina might prove to be slightly advantageous and Sheik still slightly disadvantageous, but both are probably safest to call even right now.

that mad Luigi bias though

Late edit: Completely ignored Cloud who I think ZSS likely goes even with instead of having a disadvantage.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Cloud isn't even against Rosalina. Come on, Falln. And saying Bayo is even with Rosa tells me he is overselling his character.

I think Toon Link is even with ZSS, and results largely support this. He also beats Luigi.

I disagree with so much of this, I cannot take Luigi being so high seriously. EVER.
At the very least, Rosalina can space with Luma in order to put pressure on Bayonetta without risking Witch Time. That's something few characters can boast.

I don't know enough about the matchup to call the whole thing, but given Falln's tendency to play tricky with Luma setups, I could see why he thinks the matchup is even.

David Viran

Smash Lord

Nairo's 1-1 with hyuga now and just beat this other toon link that took a game from him but nick riddle and marss have also both beaten hyuga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom