• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v1.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Yes. Because everyone who play smash can pay a journey to the USA. Especially the youngest player.
Or just travel in their own country.
Or own region.

You know. Sometime people have another life than smash but are extremely good at smash

Last edited:

BunbUn129

Smash Ace
Wait, he put Sonic in Pikachu's favor?

Come on ESAM.

EDIT: Looking at that "advantage" list, he has both Meta Knight AND Ryu.
And he skipped over explaining both the Meta Knight and Ryu MU's. I'm getting the feeling he somehow randomly arranges his MU charts and then tries to justify each one even when it's very suspect.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
I was going to try and claim they're not entirely irrelevant, but I'll capitulate to this view .

What do we classify as relevant results anyway?
US nationals, which a grand total of zero top level Ganondorfs have attended. Once Kalm or Vermanubis or GtB actually gets to attend one of those we can compare that to the performance of other characters on the lower end of the tier list, but saying that Ganon is worse than X because Y Ganon main didn't enter Z tournament, and discounting the results Ganon has gotten seems kind of stupid to me. I don't think anyone actually thinks he's a particularly good character, but he hasn't even really gotten the opportunity to be showcased at a high level at a major, which is something I'd like to see changed.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I'm surprised ESAM considers Shadow Sneak an issue for Pikachu
I'm just surprised that some people will trust his MU chart.
Or the fact that he put Ryu et MK in the adventage list.

Or no.

I'm just surprised about everything in this list and video.

Edit :
US nationals, which a grand total of zero top level Ganondorfs have attended. Once Kalm or Vermanubis or GtB actually gets to attend one of those we can compare that to the performance of other characters on the lower end of the tier list, but saying that Ganon is worse than X because Y Ganon main didn't enter Z tournament, and discounting the results Ganon has gotten seems kind of stupid to me. I don't think anyone actually thinks he's a particularly good character, but he hasn't even really gotten the opportunity to be showcased at a high level at a major, which is something I'd like to see changed.
Like i said in a previous message. Sometime player that are really good at smash but just can't travel.

Last edited:

Nah

Smash Champion
I'm not sure why people are still surprised at anything ESAM says regarding Pikachu, I thought we all knew by now that he has very unusual opinions about the rat

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I'm not sure why people are still surprised at anything ESAM says regarding Pikachu, I thought we all knew by now that he has very unusual opinions about the rat
Top player disscution are like our Star/People or reality show discuction IRL.

We make a big deal just because we have nothing better to do

Last edited:

ligersandtigons

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChromToTheDome
3DS FC
4656-6292-5830
Switch FC
SW-2244-3437-3034
results are always gonna be more meaningful than potential though. could the ganon players place good at nationals? sure, but I'm not gonna hold it against someone if they don't give them a benefit of the doubt and actually want something tangible.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
I am genuinely curious what match ups with top tiers you feel Pac does better than megaman in

This is Scatts megaman match up chart released soon after the 1.1.5 patch dropped. I know basing match ups off of only top player opinion is not a logically sound thing to do, but this is only a reference.

Brief listings of Megaman Matchups with high tiers based on what Ive observed from the Mega community

Pika: usually labeled as a losing MU. Scatt got beat pretty Badly by Esam at TOXI, no other examles of this at high level that I have seen, but Pika seems to be able to disrespect Mega's zoning fairly effectively, wrack up damage quickly, and edge guard his recovery.
Bayo: I havent heard enough about this matchup or played it but Greward seems to not like it very much and Scatt also has it as bad.
Fox: This one has a lot of disagreement on how bad Mega loses this. I personally have trouble with fox, I usually just ditto them, but several Mega's have felt its not that terrible and Scatt had a really close set with Larry Lur although this cold be inexperince on Larry's side going into the match
Sheik: Losing MU but the jury is still out on if she is still a gate keeper.
Mario; considered a losing MU by most but how bad it is has been debated.
Rosa: even or slight disadvantage
Falcon: anywhere from even to one of his worst MUs.
Cloud: disadvantage to some degree
ZSS: even or slight disadvantage
Diddy slight advantage
Sonic Advantage
Metaknight: no worse than even many have given it at least a slight advantage to mega
Villager usually listed as advantageous though amount varies
Ness: I havent found a large amount of discussion on him yet so IDK
Ryu: even to advantage

This is Zage's Pac man MU chart. Again Im not advocating this as the true Pac MU chart but as a general guide
https://twitter.com/_ReturnTheSlab_/status/698060256815894528

A which I assume is Slight advantage: Ryu Diddy and MetaKnight. I can see this for similar reasons to why Mega does well. Falcon seems a little suspect but I wouldn't know.
B=even: Rosa same as mega, Sheik this is an important one and a MU where I do believe Pac does much better than mega. Sonic potentially a worse match than mega's
C slight disadvantage: ZSS, Ness, Fox, Villager and Pika. Potentially better Fox and Pika MU, same Zss MU, worse villager and ness MU. Again no sure on Mega's Ness MU so IDK
D distinct disadvantage Cloud Bayo Mario. Cloud and Mario are either worse or the same as Mega, Bayo is the same.

Overall spreads with a number of high tiers seem fairly similar
Man, everyone thinks they beat Meta Knight now. I feel like now they actually have to play against the character and not just fear the up air combo. (Although many characters still have to). Time will tell of course but I think MK is still very much a high tier character.

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
I said this before of Mewtwo and promptly ate crow at Pound, but I'm still skeptical about Greninja. I hear a looot of theorycrafting around him, but his results, while existent, don't live up to the hype. I'll withhold a final judgment till EVO, but for the moment I don't see him in top 20, let alone 15.

Anyway, I wanted to talk about Marth for a sec. He's gotten buff after buff, and Mr E and Pugwest among others have been placing decently with him. But then, a lot of his flaws remain unaddressed -- so-so frame data, no real rewards off grabs, average mobility, even his punishes aren't stellar. Posts like this or this or this or this go into more depth -- ignoring the petulant and condescending tone (and them being on Reddit, the horror), they do make good points about his tools and lack thereof. I honestly can't opine much myself about it, I just don't have enough knowledge of the character to confirm or deny what's said there, but there's enough for a discussion, I think.

So what do you think? Do you see Marth rising or falling in the tier lists, assuming no more buffs? Will he never be good until they give him back SH double fair, or do the buffs he's gotten make up for it to some degree? Marth is a character a lot of people are invested in in no small part to how good he was in Melee and Brawl, and there's a lot of disillusionment towards his 4 incarnation. Is he worth the time, in your opinion?
That guy is the biggest Marth whiner there is. He insists that Marth in Smash 4 is inherently bad, and even with the buffs keeps harping on Marth's supposedly dire flaws. Honestly, it looks like the only thing that would satisfy him are sh double fairs, melee grab range, and chain grabs.

BunbUn129

Smash Ace
That guy is the biggest Marth whiner there is. He insists that Marth in Smash 4 is inherently bad, and even with the buffs keeps harping on Marth's supposedly dire flaws. Honestly, it looks like the only thing that would satisfy him are sh double fairs, melee grab range, and chain grabs.
I find it funny that commenters tell him he's wrong and pessimistic, but to this day, I have not seen one person actually provide proper counter-arguments to his points. Is he overly negative? Maybe, but I have to agree with his points considering no one has managed to refute them convincingly. Look past his tone and you can see some pretty valid arguments.

Edit: many of Meta Knight's winning MU's are still winning overall, but they're simply less advantageous since he no longer always has that trump card with which to easily turn things around. The only new losing MU's he's gotten are, IMO, Fox, Ryu, Bayo (may be roughly even), along with the Diddy and Sheik MU's which he still loses overall (though obviously a much better Sheik MU). He still wins against Pikachu by virtue of his immunity to edge-guards and superior finishing ability.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
It's something that i have to take off my mind...

But do certain character are stigmatised because of their placement in older-game?
Like people unconscioucly thinking a character is bad because of previous placement? Like :4zelda: or :4feroy:?

I find it funny that commenters tell him he's wrong and pessimistic, but to this day, I have not seen one person actually provide proper counter-arguments to his points. Is he overly negative? Maybe, but I have to agree with his points considering no one has managed to refute them convincingly. Look past his tone and you can see some pretty valid arguments.
Why would you care to talk to a wall?

Here. I'll talk to a wall for you.

First he don't unserstand the character concept of Marth himself. Marth isn't mean to have reward about his grab. His jab/tilt/grab/d-tilt/Up-b are the ''Get the **** out of here'' option so he can place a Tip.

Especialy the Jab>F-smash combo who i think explain perfectly this mentality.

When you can't understand what is the concept of a character. There isn't anything else to say. Just don't talk about it.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
I have a hard time taking the first link seriously.

That guy just said that Marth has bad ground speed and terrible start-up.

Marth is the 18th/19th fastest character in the game and his slowest aerial is 9 frames. A sword character having that much range with that kind of attack speed is an anomaly. Also, the overall start-up on his ground attacks is nothing to scoff at either.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Yes. Because everyone who play smash can pay a journey to the USA. Especially the youngest player.
Or just travel in their own country.
Or own region.
I never said they did.

You know. Sometime people have another life than smash but are extremely good at smash
Okay, but they have no proof they're extremely good at Smash until we can establish evidence, and dominating weeklies in a state not at all known for its incredible skill at Smash isn't exactly compelling evidence. Using your logic, you could say pretty much any player from an unknown region is "an extremely good player", but why should I take that claim on faith?

BunbUn129

Smash Ace
It's something that i have to take off my mind...

But do certain character are stigmatised because of their placement in older-game?
Like people unconscioucly thinking a character is bad because of previous placement? Like :4zelda: or :4feroy:?

Why would you care to talk to a wall?

Here. I'll talk to a wall for you.

First he don't unserstand the character concept of Marth himself. Marth isn't mean to have reward about his grab. His jab/tilt/grab/d-tilt/Up-b are the ''Get the **** out of here'' option so he can place a Tip.

Especialy the Jab>F-smash combo who i think explain perfectly this mentality.

When you can't understand what is the concept of a character. There isn't anything else to say. Just don't talk about it.
I know Brian's tone is bad, but I'm being reasonable by judging his arguments by themselves. And even then, if he's wrong, then who's right? The people on reddit have until now failed to give substantial counter-arguments to his claims, so I have more reason to believe him.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I never said they did.

Okay, but they have no proof they're extremely good at Smash until we can establish evidence, and dominating weeklies in a state not at all known for its incredible skill at Smash isn't exactly compelling evidence. Using your logic, you could say pretty much any player from an unknown region is "an extremely good player", but why should I take that claim on faith?
Why do we have a poweranking by region then?
Why do we have regional?
Why do we have Local?

We can just do National if we follow your logic since the other result aren't important since winning Whatever tournament isn't enough for you.

Ignoring a region because it '' don't have enough skill'' is a subjective point of view.

Last edited:

BunbUn129

Smash Ace
I have a hard time taking the first link seriously.

That guy just said that Marth has bad ground speed and terrible start-up.

Marth is the 18th/19th fastest character in the game and his slowest aerial is 9 frames. A sword character having that much range with that kind attack speed is an anomaly. Also, the overall start-up on his ground attacks is nothing to scoff at either.
Marth's dashing acceleration is one of the worst in the game, and it takes about 3 full steps for him to reach his full walking speed. So his ground speed isn't as good as it is on paper.

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
Nobie Nobie

Everyone has to fear Ganondorf and respect his options because all he needs are a few good reads and you're dead. The problem with Ganondorf is, like every other low and bottom tier, he has no reliable way of landing anything without those reads. MK still recks Ganondorf (70-30 easily) and even then I still feel the ever-present threat of him getting that one read and landing that hit.
I know it wasn't the main point of the post, but could you elaborate on your understanding of the Ganon vs Metaknight matchup? It's certainly in Meta Knights favor, but most Ganons myself included don't consider it a very bad matchup at all.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Radical Larry said:
She does belong into B Tier I or II, positioned around 23 and 27, and it may just be a matter of time until she can be fully realized as a tournament viable character.
I really like seeing that the mood around Samus has changed. The buffs were very significant, and while still a highly technical and difficult to use character, she CAN fight!

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
How are Mewtwo's ground moves not a big deal for Pikachu when Down tilt outranges his whole entire kit.

He also underestimates the threat of shadowball and overrates the footstool combo. Why do people act like that's a serious kill confirm that he can't live without? That "kill setup" is super situational and mainly for style.

ESAM is still ESAM it seems.

:150:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
I'd like to illuminate this point to many people in this thread.

You can tell how good a player is by actually analyzing their play. If I were to tell you, "Cacogen is stupid good." Before he had national results, I don't expect you to believe me based on results. I show you the many videos of his disgusting reflexes and inhuman spacing. I expect you to be able to think critically about his play and decide for yourself, "yeah, he just doesn't make mistakes."

Obvious hyperbole, but results can be a shortcut for analysis. If you want to see how skilled a player is, why don't you... Watch them?

Edit: basically just saying, don't trash on regions based on your ignorance. Do your homework before you make claims. Think.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Why do we have a poweranking by region then?
Why do we have regional?
Why do we have Local?

We can just do National if we follow your logic since the other result aren't important since winning Whatever tournament isn't enough for you.
Tier lists and our understanding of where characters are placed tend to be based on the highest possible skill pool/level we can take from. Hence, our determination of who's on top tends to stem from certain players consistently doing well at the top level. We can make comparative results by looking at Top 8s and Top 16s to see who might be high/mid tier.

Point being, power rankings and low-level tournaments don't exist to determine tier lists, and I'm discussing why I believe a character like Ganondorf is bottom 5 based on his poor track-record at a higher level of play. Hence, "Why do power ranking exist" has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. They exist to determine the perceived level of player skill in their respective state/region.

I mean, if you accept that certain players are better than others in a certain region, why do you fly to emotional and illogical arguments the moment I point out the obvious fact that certain regions are better than others at Smash?

Ignoring a region because it '' don't have enough skill'' is a subjective point of view.
Why should I believe that a region is secretly great or on the level of other regions we accept as good when no evidence exists that it is? If Minnesota is secretly as good as MD/VA or Texas, throw me some results that suggests it is.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Here is Ganonthebeast. He's power ranked really high in Minnesota, number two. He is super young (14 -16 range), so don't expect him to travel much.

Analyze all you want:

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Tier lists and our understanding of where characters are placed tend to be based on the highest possible skill pool/level we can take from. Hence, our determination of who's on top tends to stem from certain players consistently doing well at the top level. We can make comparative results by looking at Top 8s and Top 16s to see who might be high/mid tier.

Point being, power rankings and low-level tournaments don't exist to determine tier lists, and I'm discussing why I believe a character like Ganondorf is bottom 5 based on his poor track-record at a higher level of play. Hence, "Why do power ranking exist" has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. They exist to determine the perceived level of player skill in their respective state/region.

I mean, if you accept that certain players are better than others in a certain region, why do you fly to emotional and illogical arguments the moment I point out the obvious fact that certain regions are better than others at Smash?

Why should I believe that a region is secretly great or on the level of other regions we accept as good when no evidence exists that it is? If Minnesota is secretly as good as MD/VA or Texas, throw me some results that suggests it is.
A tournament is for me a place where people use their skill to be the best.

I'm pretty sure a top-player can make a middle/low-tier look like a top-high tier. Do that mean the character is suddently top tiers?

Personnal Skill. Especially in this Smash game is the more important factor instead of the character

I'll use another way to explain how stupid your argument is with analogy with another sport : Soccer ( Or real football. Because why the **** americain decided to call a sport that play 70% of the time with a hand football is still a mystery for me.)

Why do we have Club for city?
Why do we have a National tournament ?
Why not just doing the Fifa World cup?

Do a club who win in their region mean they are low level and no skilled?

Do having the same team who win the national league mean the other are no skilled and we shoudn't care about the other and just giving to them the trophy each year because the other team lack of result?

Do that mean that the country who lose at the Fifa World cup are irrelevant because Spain won?

Did you know that a lot of Team on the Fifa Top 20 ranking NEVER WON A SINGLE WORLD CUP?!

Do that mean that the country who never won the World Cup are irrelevant because they never won a single world cup?

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Point being, power rankings and low-level tournaments don't exist to determine tier lists, and I'm discussing why I believe a character like Ganondorf is bottom 5 based on his poor track-record at a higher level of play.
I'm not going to argue that Ganondorf is a good character because he isn't, but if you want to compare him to King Dedede for example and cite Big D as evidence for why D3 is better, it is important to note the absence of Ganondorf's best performers at such events. Ganondorf has better theory than D3 imo, and putting D3 ahead because his best rep went to X tournament and Ganondorf's didn't without considering all other sides to the argument seems shortsighted to me.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Edit: basically just saying, don't trash on regions based on your ignorance. Do your homework before you make claims. Think.
To be clear, I'm not "trashing" a region. I'm just accepting that, based on evidence of none of its power ranked players doing anything at national level, that it's not an especially great region in comparison to others. This all stems from my point on Ganondorf being bottom 5 based on results, because even when you give credit to Minnesota, being 1st in Minnesota is not as important as making 13th at a regional/major. This shouldn't be a controversial statement.

BunbUn129

Smash Ace
I know it wasn't the main point of the post, but could you elaborate on your understanding of the Ganon vs Metaknight matchup? It's certainly in Meta Knights favor, but most Ganons myself included don't consider it a very bad matchup at all.
Okay, well. It is a pretty bad match-up from my perspective, the only factor that really prevents it from being completely hellish for Ganon is MK's weight (aerial down b kills at 70-80% if I'm not mistaken, and f tilt is scary at the ledge). MK can't afford to make many mistakes, but he does have the tools to avoid putting himself in that position in the first place.

If we're going off theory, it's horrible. MK can abuse his neutral options (frame 3 d tilt, dair camping, etc) and Ganon can't safely or quickly respond. From my experience, Ganon has to rely on jab and d tilt (it outranges possibly all of MK's moves, and kills ~100%), along with usmash baiting, to try and keep MK out. From neutral, Ganon has a bad time in disadvantage. He doesn't really get laddered anymore, and even in the instances he does, he'll rarely die from it due to his weight. Regardless, Ganon has such a difficult time landing, and MK can easily exploit this (but wizkick is pretty scary even though it's unsafe).

On the other hand, Meta Knight can get out of disadvantage for free (though he does not want to take a stray hit from something like a uair) with his jumps, 3 landing aerials, and Cape mix-ups. Recovering is simple, though, again, MK has to respect Ganon's aerials because they all kill damn early. For Ganon, offstage is almost a one-sided affair when he's trying to get back. He's dead if he uses his double jump and take a hit. If he's recovering from far, MK can just go deep and bait an airdodge and then punish with a nair or bair, or any aerial for the matter. It's important for MK to go far offstage because then he won't have to contend with the absurdly large hitbox on the end of Ganon's up b, and while kill-suiciding with Flame Choke is a thing, it's far too risky for it to make a major difference.

Killing is hard to decide. Ganondorf has high power across a lot of his kit, but MK has kill set-ups and his safe f smash. He'll die really early if he commits to something unsafe or Ganon makes a read, but Ganon really can't do much to avoid dash attack -> upb (which is easy given Ganon's physics), d tilt set-ups, and usmash to finish juggles.

Now, that is all in theory. In theory, I assume that the MK player will abuse his safe moves, and not commit to unsafe options. In theory, this MU could be 80-20. However, in practice, players make dumb mistakes, and Ganon thrives off of these. He only needs a couple of solid hits and he's good, so going by this, it's 70-30 IMO. Meta Knight wins by a considerable amount, but that doesn't mean it's a free win, because the MK player has to play very carefully against Ganon. There have been a few times where I've been juggling Ganondorf, only to let my guard down, disregard him, and die to an aerial wizkick.

This is unlike pre-patch where I would reason this MU was as bad as 90-10 lol. It was :popo: vs :ganondorf: all over again.

Last edited:

Ninety

Smash Journeyman
Exactly. I brought him up here because I wanted to see if anyone actually has any counterarguments -- which, so far, extend to "Marth isn't that slow". If I wanted to see people tell him he's wrong and overly negative, I can go to Reddit for that. And he is kind of a douche, but that doesn't mean he's necessarily wrong.

Like I said, I don't know enough about Marth to properly dispute or conclusively agree with him. And that's why I was curious if anyone could disprove or corroborate his claims. All I can say is that he appears to take an overly reductive approach to viewing frame data in a vacuum, but aside from that, I don't have any great rebuttals, and I don't know if there are any.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
A tournament is for me a place where people use their skill to be the best.

I'm pretty sure a top-player can make a middle/low-tier look like a top-high tier. Do that mean the character is suddently top tiers?

Personnal Skill. Especially in this Smash game is the more important factor instead of the character
But personal skill is not how we determine tier lists. I'm talking about character placements. Results have a very heavy impact, because it's theory put to the test. If a top-level player can take a mid-tier and win a tournament, it proves equally that the character is fully capable of that in the right hands, and that it should be placed higher if it isn't. If Dabuz solo'd Olimar into a victory at a major, we'd then reconsider the common perception that Olimar exists in the blob of undefined mid-tiers, and he'd start looking more like Toon Link did when Hyuga broke out and beat Nairo and placed really well in tournies with high skill pools.

The "player can make character look like X" thing is heavily flawed because, really, that character may in fact be far better than we once thought if that good player takes a character to a high-skill pool tourney and does really well.

I'll use another way to explain how stupid your argument is with analogy with another sport : Soccer ( Or real football. Because why the **** americain decided to call a sport that play 70% of the time with a hand football is still a mystery for me.)

Why do we have Club for city?
Why do we have a National tournament ?
Why not just doing the Fifa World cup?

Do a club who win in their region mean they are low level and no skilled?

Do having the same team who win the national league mean the other are no skilled and we shoudn't care about the other and just giving to them the trophy each year because the other team lack of result?

Do that mean that the country who lose at the Fifa World cup are irrelevant because Spain won?

Did you know that a lot of Team on the Fifa Top 20 ranking NEVER WON A SINGLE WORLD CUP?!

Do that mean that the country who never won the World Cup are irrelevant because they never won a single world cup?
Again, you completely misunderstand my argument and ask a question that has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. The existence of multi-tiered tournies and multi-tiered results is not something in favor of your point. You might have a point if I was only arguing that results at the very top level of play mattered, but I'm not arguing that.

G. Stache

Smash Journeyman
I will agree on one thing Esam said during the video; "obviously I'm making it sound a lot easier than it actually is". Yes you are, Esam, yes you are. Regardless, I still do respect Esam skilll-wise with Pikachu and I hope he does well in the future with his Corrin. But if Pika actually had a spread like this, Esam would be a top 5 player. And if Pika's edgeguarding was as good as Esam states it to be, then Pika wouldn't have any trouble killing. No hate towards Esam himself, it's just that his opinions are incredibly biased and I prefer to stay away from them.

Moving on, I have a question towards MK mains (or anyone else knowledgable about MK). How do the Mario Bros. fare against him in general? I've heard that they were both around +1 for MK, but that was pre patch. Plus, a lot of the MK top players posted the two characters as around even against MK. So I'm just curious on how those two MUs go down for MK. (Also, someone said that MK's UAir ladder was still a thing on floaties like Rosalina. Does this mean Luigi still gets caught in it as well?)

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Okay, well. It is a pretty bad match-up from my perspective, the only factor that really prevents it from being completely hellish for Ganon is MK's weight (aerial down b kills at 70-80% if I'm not mistaken, and f tilt is scary at the ledge). MK can't afford to make many mistakes, but he does have the tools to avoid putting himself in that position in the first place.

If we're going off theory, it's horrible. MK can abuse his neutral options (frame 3 d tilt, dair camping, etc) and Ganon can't safely or quickly respond. From my experience, Ganon has to rely on jab and d tilt (it outranges possibly all of MK's moves, and kills ~100%), along with usmash baiting, to try and keep MK out. From neutral, Ganon has a bad time in disadvantage. He doesn't really get laddered anymore, and even in the instances he does, he'll rarely die from it due to his weight. Regardless, Ganon has such a difficult time landing, and MK can easily exploit this (but wizkick is pretty scary even though it's unsafe).

On the other hand, Meta Knight can get out of disadvantage for free (though he does not want to take a stray hit from something like a uair) with his jumps, 3 landing aerials, and Cape mix-ups. Recovering is simple, though, again, MK has to respect Ganon's aerials because they all kill damn early. For Ganon, offstage is almost a one-sided affair when he's trying to get back. He's dead if he uses his double jump and take a hit. If he's recovering from far, MK can just go deep and bait an airdodge and then punish with a nair or bair, or any aerial for the matter. It's important for MK to go far offstage because then he won't have to contend with the absurdly large hitbox on the end of Ganon's up b, and while kill-suiciding with Flame Choke is a thing, it's far too risky for it to make a major difference.

Killing is hard to decide. Ganondorf has high power across a lot of his kit, but MK has kill set-ups and his safe f smash. He'll die really early if he commits to something unsafe or Ganon makes a read, but Ganon really can't do much to avoid dash attack -> upb (which is easy given Ganon's physics), d tilt set-ups, and usmash to finish juggles.

Now, that is all in theory. In theory, I assume that the MK player will abuse his safe moves, and not commit to unsafe options. In theory, this MU could be 80-20. However, in practice, players make dumb mistakes, and Ganon thrives off of these. He only needs a couple of solid hits and he's good, so going by this, it's 70-30 IMO. Meta Knight wins by a considerable amount, but that doesn't mean it's a free win, because the MK player has to play very carefully against Ganon. There have been a few times where I've been juggling Ganondorf, only to let my guard down, disregard him, and die to an aerial wizkick.

This is unlike pre-patch where I would reason this MU was as bad as 90-10 lol. It was :popo: vs :ganondorf: all over again.
Pre-patch Pon was able to beat a high-level Japanese MK in a tourney set even though he got bodied by ladder in game 2. I seriously doubt it was ever 90-10, and it never even felt 70-30 even with the ladder. Mk doesn't have any truly safe buttons against Ganondorf. Dorf Dtilt (not to mention the new and improved Jab) outranges all of MK's grounded moves, and Ganon's aerials generally beat MK's tiny hitboxes should he take to the air. Ultimately this MU comes down to who can bait and punish better, and while MK's edge in mobility, combos, and edgeguarding give him an easier time, he dies very quickly should the Dorf outwit him. Imo it's 55-45 MK now, and I think even back when the ladder was a thing it wasn't worse than 65-35 or 60-40.

BunbUn129

Smash Ace
I will agree on one thing Esam said during the video; "obviously I'm making it sound a lot easier than it actually is". Yes you are, Esam, yes you are. Regardless, I still do respect Esam skilll-wise with Pikachu and I hope he does well in the future with his Corrin. But if Pika actually had a spread like this, Esam would be a top 5 player. And if Pika's edgeguarding was as good as Esam states it to be, then Pika wouldn't have any trouble killing. No hate towards Esam himself, it's just that his opinions are incredibly biased and I prefer to stay away from them.

Moving on, I have a question towards MK mains (or anyone else knowledgable about MK). How do the Mario Bros. fare against him in general? I've heard that they were both around +1 for MK, but that was pre patch. Plus, a lot of the MK top players posted the two characters as around even against MK. So I'm just curious on how those two MUs go down for MK. (Also, someone said that MK's UAir ladder was still a thing on floaties like Rosalina. Does this mean Luigi still gets caught in it as well?)
The Luigi MU is practically unchanged, and may be slightly better with the fair buff. Tyrant beat Con Con once or twice (I think in two sets but correct me), and the GF set was pretty convincing for Tyrant. Con Con died to ladders a few times so that's evidence it hasn't really gotten better for Luigi. It was and is still pretty close at 55-45, though. Luigi's recovery doesn't do him any good. MK can just go above his side b and dair, or space a bair properly and kill him, and Tyrant heavily abused this in his set vs Con Con. Note: prior to the Luigi nerf, it was probably just in his favor due to MK's falling speed and light weight leaving him as combo and KO food.

The Mario MU was slightly in MK's favor pre-patch. But it's now either even or winning for Mario. Pre-patch, MK won this for the same reason he beat Pikachu: too much discrepancy in KOing. Mario had to fish for usmashes which were hard to land against MK's landing options. He could rack up all that damage, but then die to a rage ladder below 20%. That doesn't happen anymore, but MK still notably wins in the KOing department. Mario overall wins neutral due to fireballs and short-hop aerials, though not by a considerable amount. If Mario wins, it's mainly thanks to better frame data and neutral. Tyrant had to go Diddy against a Mario player at one of his recent post-patch tourneys, I think it was vs Zenyou, so that's proof it's definitely worse.

Last edited:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
@region strength discussion

A region that has many players that are able to beat other high-profile players is a "strong" region. If a region's best players aren't beating other players whom we know are good, then we lack "sufficient" "evidence" to judge how good those players are. Comparisons are important because they're easier to make judgements with.

"Dismissing" (I think that might be too strong a word but I can't think of a better one) a region because we haven't seen them do well against players whom we already know are good is completely natural. Ideally should we base our opinions of players/regions on that? I guess not, but it's a mental shortcut, and we all take mental shortcuts whether we're aware of it or not.

You most likely didn't think Mexico was a very strong scene before their players started beating known players. You think they're a good region because you've seen their players do well against other players whom we already know are good.
MK Leo winning a regional in Mexico doesn't mean that much to you.
Place Mr R in that regional and then MK Leo winning is a big deal. And now you know MK Leo is good because he was able to beat someone you already know is good.

Nationals are important because it's where the "best" come together. It's the place where *insert player* has the best chance to play against and beat *insert well-known player*
I said "has the best chance" because *insert player* can still beat *insert well-known player* at any tournament level. It doesn't matter as much if it happens at a local or regional or national. It mostly matters who's there. And the fact is that more good players go to nationals than any other tournament level. But depending on the region, a player may be given the chance to do that on both a local and regional level.

Yes, for all we know, China's best players (or insert any other relatively unknown scene here) could all be godlike. But we don't know that, and we won't know if they never beat players whom we already know are good. It's a shortcut to avoid having to find matches of players you've never heard of and then analyzing in detail what those players you know nothing about are doing. With that shortcut comes risk, but it's a risk we are willing to take in our judgement since we simply aren't able to watch all matches from all regions.
But, hey, if you're in a relatively "unknown" scene and have some good matches/players to tell us about/show us videos of, then go for it! Knowing more about the world is fun~ Don't let people's default trains of thought change that. If there's good players out there, then we'd like to know who they are and why they're good players.

Last edited:

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
The theory is that MK vs Mario is even. The results are that it's Mario's favor. This has been consistent like this for a very long time. Luigi has lost to MK since he lost his ability to kill off a throw.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Here is Ganonthebeast. He's power ranked really high in Minnesota, number one I believe? He is super young (14 -16 range), so don't expect him to travel much.

Used to be #1. A Megaman player, Swag, currently occupies that spot. Minnesota also has killers like Triple R and Skorpio.

HeavyLobster HeavyLobster

Ganon may be better than D3 in theory, but according to practice, well...

And there's my "mental shortcut" about that.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I can't believe people are asking for buffs for Luigi.

The character has top 5 frame data, the best damage output relative to frame data in the game, a frame 3 combo breaker, a simple projectile, good kill moves and 0% downb spike gimps.

I can't believe people are complaining about his approach options and lack of kill set ups. God forbid a character has weaknesses to offset their strengths.

Approaching and setting up kills are where the skill to playing the character is, because he's otherwise a very basic character whose strengths are easy to apply.

I'm noticing a trend that people who play simple characters like Luigi or heavies complain about their weaknesses because they don't want to have to do anything difficult to win. I think simple characters tend to draw lazy players.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I can't believe people are asking for buffs for Luigi.

The character has top 5 frame data, the best damage output relative to frame data in the game, a frame 3 combo breaker, a simple projectile, good kill moves and 0% downb spike gimps.

I can't believe people are complaining about his approach options and lack of kill set ups. God forbid a character has weaknesses to offset their strengths.

Approaching and setting up kills are where the skill to playing the character is, because he's otherwise a very basic character whose strengths are easy to apply.

I'm noticing a trend that people who play simple characters like Luigi or heavies complain about their weaknesses because they don't want to have to do anything difficult to win. I think simple characters tend to draw lazy players.
That what baffle me.

In every MU discussion people act like their main have no weakness.

But when we talk about tiers-placing people ask for a buff.

People need to learn that we can't only give strength.

Unless they want to play Pre-patch diddy/ BrawlMK For Wii U :^ )

Last edited:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
I remember once a luigi main said that he should get a hoo hah - esque combo akin to Donkey Kong and Bowser. I thought that idea was really . . . . bad to say the least, because that would just undo the nerfs the balance team gave him.

In my opinion, mid tier mains complaining about their mains not being amazing and crying for buffs is really spoiled. There are a lot worst positions to be in this game than a low mid percent combo monster with great frame data. I know what playing a bad character feels like. This type of whining earns the least sympathy from me, especially when you consider how some players with low tier mains work the butt off to try to optimize their characters.

You're telling me that, say, Samus mains are trying to optimize their character that has serious flaws*, but you feel the need to complain? You have to be joking.

Heh, whatever. This mind set is only holding them back anyway. It still annoys me though.

* I'm not making that one up. I've been spying on the Samus Boards, for a while, and they do get some serious labbing done. Props to them.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Sometimes, but in the case of heavies all of them at one point were in fact undertuned to the point where they needed buffs to be able to reasonably compete, and some of them are still in that position. Though the laziest players tend to gravitate towards good simple characters like Ness and Mario, or towards extremely forgiving characters like Cloud. Heavies might usually be simple in terms of a technical sense, but they generally aren't easy to play since their every move tends to be a commitment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom