• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important 4BR Official Tier List v2.0 - Voting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
As members of the Smash 4 Back Room, we have a role to fulfill that is highly recognized among the Smash community. Yes, it's time to make our first revision to our tier list for Smash 4.

With the Summer of Smash being well underway, and patches seeming to be outright over, the metagame is starting to stabilize. While there are many aspects of the game that are still debated in terms of rulesets (Miis, Stagelists, Stocks and the Suicide Clause being the 4 aspects that are still under frequent debate), the metagame has reached one of it's highest levels of stability, with many characters in this game being reasonable threats and a variety of characters winning regional, national and global tournaments, or at least placing very high.

Important things to note:
  • Customs are generally relegated to side events or outright not allowed at tournaments altogether. Assume they are are banned with your vote.
  • Consider the most recent patch, Version 1.1.6. Do note that outside of Bayonetta changes, this version is basically identical to 1.1.5.
  • Your tier list must include, at the least, all characters in the game, with the exception of Mii Fighters (more on that below) for a total of 55 characters. Otherwise, incomplete votes will not be accepted. For reference, here are the required characters:
Bayonetta
Bowser Jr.
Captain Falcon
Olimar
Charizard
Cloud
Dark Pit
Diddy Kong
Donkey Kong
Dr. Mario
Duck Hunt
Falco
Fox
Ganondorf
Greninja
Ike
Jigglypuff
King Dedede
Kirby
Link
Little Mac
Lucario
Lucas
Lucina
Luigi
Mario
Marth
Mega Man
Meta Knight
Mewtwo
Mr. Game & Watch
Ness
Pac-Man
Palutena
Peach
Pikachu
Pit
R.O.B.
Robin
Rosalina
Roy
Ryu
Samus
Sheik
Shulk
Sonic
Toon Link
Villager
Wario
Wii Fit Trainer
Yoshi
Zelda
Zero Suit Samus
  • Miis: We understand that there are a variety of different rulings when it comes to Mii Fighters. The three most common rulings are 1111 Miis, Guest XXXX Miis, or no Miis entirely. After your vote, if you are so inclined then please list where you would rank 1111 Miis and/or Guest XXXX Miis (assuming that special moves could not be changed mid-set). This is optional and will be an addendum on the actual Tier List; you are not required to put Miis on your vote. General notation for Miis should look something like this:
Text Form:
1111 Swordfighter/Gunner/Brawler = 1Sword, 1Gunner, 1Brawler
XXXX Swordfighter/Gunner/Brawler = XSword, XGunner, XBrawler

Icon Form:
1111 Swordfighter/Gunner/Brawler = 1:4miisword:, 1:4miigun:, 1:4miibrawl:
XXXX Swordfighter/Gunner/Brawler = X:4miisword:, X:4miigun:, X:4miibrawl:

We are aware of the difficulties that come with ordering this many characters, with some characters having vastly different results in certain regions and some not being relevant whatsoever. For this revision of the tier list, we have tweaked how votes are counted. We will still be using a ballot system; however, you are not limited with the amount of tiers you would like to use. Want to have 5 tiers? Go ahead. How about numbering everyone from 1-58? No problem. We strongly recommend using Quetzle's Tier List Maker to assist with your tier list creation, as it allows you to customize the amount of tiers and has a rather easy to use interface. In addition, Smashboards has a Tier List Maker as well.

Please note, if you are putting each of your characters in individual votes (1-55), please prompt that you are doing so; otherwise, we will assume you are making your vote in a standard tier list form.

Here's an example vote:
1 - Kirby, Pikachu
2 - Fox, Captain Falcon, Yoshi
3 - Jigglypuff, Mario
4 - Donkey Kong, Link, Samus, Ness (1Brawler)
6 - Luigi (1Sword, 1Gunner)

You can vote by responding in this thread. If you'd like to discuss votes, you can do so in the discussion thread. Please do be civil and discuss in a reasonable manner. You can keep editing your vote until the deadline, which is currently placed on August 8th, 2016. Don't hesitate to put forth any questions or remarks you might have at this point.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
As a quick meta-game recap to start the thread, here is the current combined results and usage data for major tournaments, controlling for a few factors: (strictly ordered within tiers)

:4cloud::4diddy::4sheik::4mario::4fox:
:rosalina::4sonic::4zss::4falcon::4metaknight::4pikachu::4ryu::4marth::4bayonetta:
:4tlink::4peach::4dk::4ness::4littlemac::4yoshi::4rob::4luigi::4greninja:
:4lucas::4myfriends::4robinm::4mewtwo::4corrin::4pit::4darkpit::4bowser::4villager::4megaman::4lucario::4duckhunt::4wario::4link:
:4dedede::4palutena::4olimar::4bowserjr::4shulk::4gaw::4falco::4kirby::4zelda::4pacman:
:4ganondorf::4samus::4lucina::4wiifit::4feroy::4charizard::4drmario::4jigglypuff:

That is the reality we live in - who is actually attending and winning events. Now, a tier list isn't strictly a results list, but in my opinion your vote must include an explanation of any case where you think your perspective is more accurate than reality.

Think Marth and Mac are much lower, and that all those players winning with them are going to stop? Awesome, I look forward to hearing why. Predictions about the future are the reason we're all here, but let's hold ourselves to a high bar of input quality.

In which event, here's my vote. Tiers are strictly ordered (and can be considered votes 1-55), because I'm dumb and not afraid to be wrong. (I can format it differently as needed)

:4sheik::4diddy::4cloud::4mario::rosalina::4fox::4sonic::4ryu:
:4zss::4metaknight::4bayonetta::4pikachu::4tlink::4marth::4ness::4mewtwo::4dk::4peach:
:4villager::4falcon::4yoshi::4lucas::4megaman::4rob::4littlemac::4luigi::4greninja::4corrin::4myfriends::4pit::4darkpit::4robinm::4lucario:
:4duckhunt::4bowser::4wario::4lucina::4wiifit::4olimar::4link::4gaw::4drmario::4palutena:
:4kirby::4shulk::4bowserjr::4pacman::4dedede::4falco::4samus:
:4ganondorf::4feroy::4charizard::4jigglypuff::4zelda:

Miis are impossible to responsibly tier because no one plays them.

I'll defend my deviations in yonder discussion thread. See you there!

Edit: Thought I adjusted Ryu's position originally; now corrected.
Edit2: Variety of changes I've been sitting on until EVO was done.
Edit3: Fixed a few wrong misclicks on previous edit, doh.

Last edited:

M@v

Subarashii!
UPDATED ON JULY 25 (may tinker with it until the end): This list is subject to change until the deadline. As you'll be able to tell by my tier names, I think a lot of characters in this game are viable, and that this is easily the most balanced smash game. Also I chose to not include miis. Their movesets are too sporadic and they could be all over the place on a tier list pending on what they have or don't have:

Text version:
SS-:rosalina::4ryu::4sheik::4diddy::4mario::4fox:
S-:4zss::4cloud::4sonic::4ness::4bayonetta::4pikachu:
A-:4mewtwo::4villager::4metaknight::4falcon::4greninja::4yoshi::4corrin:
B-:4rob::4tlink::4lucario::4robinm::4megaman::4dk::4peach:
C-:4luigi::4myfriends::4marth::4samus::4kirby::4pit::4darkpit::4olimar::4feroy::4wario::4lucina:
D-:4bowser::4falco::4gaw::4littlemac::4link::4shulk::4lucas::4drmario:
E-:4bowserjr::4palutena::4pacman::4charizard::4wiifit:
F-:4zelda::4duckhunt::4dedede::4ganondorf::4jigglypuff:

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
(Ordered within tiers.)

Sheik; Diddy; Fox; Cloud; Mario; Sonic

Rosalina; ZSS; Mewtwo; Ryu; Bayonetta; MK; Marth

MM; Pika; Villager; Toon; Ness; DK; Peach; Pit; Dark Pit; CF; Corrin

Lucario; Mac; Luigi; R.O.B.; Ike; Yoshi; Greninja; Lucas; Robin; Lucina; Link

Bowser; DHD; Wario; Wii-Fit; Kirby; G&W; Pac-Man; DDD; Palutena; Olimar; Shulk

Falco; Doc; Roy; Bowser Jr; Charizard

Samus; Zelda; Ganon; Jiggs

Last edited:

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Well, for now here's my vote. And yes, there is ordering within these tiers.

ssb4==1|8|10|53|6|19|52|15==2|7|28|49|1|29|37|48|35|38|55==3|6|22|2|5|39|33|31|54|17==4|5|36|3|44|20==5|4|40|4|9|47|46|26|25|7|45==6|3|23|12|24|30|50|41|27|8|43==7|2|11|13|57|42|51==8|1|18|16|21|32==9|0|14|34|56|58

1. :4diddy::4cloud::rosalina::4zss::4sheik::4ryu:
2. :4metaknight::4mewtwo::4mario::4fox::4ness::4sonic::4greninja::4falcon::4bayonetta:
3. :4marth::4luigi::4yoshi::4villager::4lucario::4pikachu::4corrin::4tlink:
4. :4rob::4peach::4darkpit::4pit:
5. :4olimar::4bowser::4dk::4megaman::4pacman::4kirby::4duckhunt::4bowserjr::4lucina:
6. :4myfriends::4littlemac::4robinm::4falco::4lucas::4wiifit::4dedede::4wario::4drmario:
7. :4gaw::4link:1:4miigun::4shulk::4feroy:
8. :4samus::4ganondorf::4palutena::4charizard:
9. :4zelda::4jigglypuff:1:4miibrawl:1:4miisword:

I'm probably going to update this once or twice more down the line, but someone should totally challenge the crud out of this in the discussion thread.

Edit: Uuuuupdate complete.
Edit: And one more. That's my final update.

Last edited:

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Made some major changes (July 24th); ordered within tiers

Last edited by a moderator:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Updated July 24th. Ordered within Tiers

1:4miibrawl: (shares spot with Jigglypuff)
X:4miibrawl: (shares spot with Lucina)
1:4miigun: (shares spot with Samus)
X:4miigun: (shares spot with Bowser)
1:4miisword: (shares spot with Jigglypuff)
X:4miisword: (shares spot with Charizard)

Last edited:

Alphicans

Smash Hero

S+: Sheik Diddy Mario
S: Sonic Fox Cloud ZSS Rosalina

HIGH

A+: Mewtwo Bayonetta Toonlink Metaknight Ryu
A: Villager Ness Pikachu Marth Megaman
A-: Corrin ROB Pit/DP Greninja DK Lucario Ike

MID

B+: Yoshi Luigi Falcon Wario Olimar
B: LittleMac Bowser Lucina Peach Pacman Robin

C: Dr. Mario Game and Watch Palutena Kirby Lucas

LOW

D: Bowser Jr. Shulk Duckhunt Wiifit Falco Roy

E: Samus DDD Link Ganon
E-: Zelda Jigglypuff Charizard

Tier list has been edited and completed
Ordered within tiers

Last edited:

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
Sorry I'm late!

Text Version:

S: Diddy Cloud Rosalina Mario ZSS Ryu
A: Sheik Fox MetaKnight Pikachu Sonic Bayonetta Greninja Ness ToonLink Mewtwo
B: DonkeyKong CaptainFalcon R.O.B. Luigi Villager Corrin Olimar Pit DarkPit Bowser Yoshi Marth Samus
C: Wario Lucario Lucas Megaman Link Peach Kirby DDD Pac-Man Mr.Game&Watch Lucina
D: DoctorMario Ike Robin Falco WiiFitTrainer Palutena Roy DuckHuntDuo Charizard
E: LittleMac Shulk BowserJr.
F: Zelda Ganondorf Jigglypuff

Last edited:

vyQ

Smash Cadet
It's soo hard :'D

I'm already working on it but taking my time to make a reasonable list! I'm gonna edit this post here if I'm done. Just wanted to let you know that I'm active on this topic! :)

e: My first version here! I will probably change it a bit in the next 2 weeks after evo, ktar saga etc..
They are ordered inside the tiers! Miis are ignored! :)

e2: Alright I deleted my first list since I got my final updated one:
ORDERED INSIDE THE TIERS!

Looking forward to the list! Thank you to the people working everything out :)

Last edited:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Ordered within tiers:

S: :4sheik::rosalina::4diddy::4zss::4cloud:
A: :4ryu::4sonic::4mario::4fox::4mewtwo::4bayonetta::4ness::4greninja::4pikachu:
B: :4metaknight::4falcon::4corrin::4yoshi::4megaman::4tlink::4villager::4rob::4marth:
C: :4dk::4darkpit::4pit::4robinm::4peach::4bowser::4lucario::4myfriends::4luigi:
D: :4kirby::4olimar::4lucas::4wario::4pacman::4shulk::4lucina::4drmario::4wiifit::4gaw:
E: :4palutena::4dedede::4bowserjr::4littlemac::4duckhunt::4charizard::4feroy::4link::4falco::4samus:
F: :4jigglypuff::4ganondorf::4zelda:
Not Included: :4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword:

:applejack:

Last edited:

Marcbri

Smash Lord
NNID
Marcbri
Updated 24 july

all characters are orderered within tiers. I don't really have a clue about Mii fighters.

Last edited:

Catana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Catanaa
ordered within tiers

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon

I made an attempt to order this but I'm not fully satisfied with it, so I might makes some changes later

Oh and Miis are 1111 default size but I don't really have much of a clue about them to be honest

Last edited:

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546

Everyone in S are very close in viability.

Didn't include the Miis. Ordered within tiers.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I keep thinking and doubting my ability to order everyone and everything. It's a terrifying job, but I'm not alone, and I can always revisit this later if I so choose. My vote, for now:

Text version:
S: :4sheik: :4diddy: :4mario:
A: :4fox: :rosalina: :4ryu: :4mewtwo: :4cloud: :4sonic: :4zss:
B: :4metaknight: :4lucario: :4villager: :4ness: :4pikachu: :4megaman: :4falcon: :4marth: :4tlink: :4greninja:
C: :4rob: :4bayonetta: :4myfriends: :4pit: :4darkpit: X:4miibrawl: :4lucina: :4dk: :4robinm: :4yoshi: :4corrin:
D: :4bowser: :4lucas: :4peach: :4luigi: :4palutena: :4duckhunt: :4wario: :4littlemac: X:4miigun: :4olimar: X:4miisword: :4kirby: :4drmario:
E: :4wiifit: :4gaw: :4bowserjr: :4samus: :4pacman: :4shulk: :4link: :4charizard:
F: :4feroy: :4ganondorf: :4dedede: :4falco: :4jigglypuff: :4zelda:

Attachments

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Updated, Ordered with Tiers
S::4sheik::4diddy::4cloud::4fox::4mario::rosalina:
A::4sonic::4zss::4bayonetta::4mewtwo::4ryu::4metaknight::4marth::4pikachu::4ness:
B::4villager::4tlink::4megaman::4falcon::4peach::4dk::4yoshi::4greninja::4pit::4darkpit::4corrinf:
C::4rob::4lucario::4littlemac::4luigi::4lucas::4robinf::4myfriends::4wiifit::4olimar::4lucina:
D::4duckhunt::4bowser::4wario2::4palutena::4gaw::4bowserjr::4kirby::4pacman::4drmario:
E::4shulk::4dedede::4samus::4link::4falco::4feroy::4charizard:
F::4zelda::4ganondorf::4jigglypuff:

If I updated too late:
S::4sheik::4diddy::4cloud::4fox::4mario::rosalina:
A::4sonic::4zss::4ryu::4mewtwo::4metaknight::4marth::4pikachu::4bayonetta::4ness:
B::4falcon::4villager::4tlink::4yoshi::4peach::4megaman::4dk::4greninja::4pit::4darkpit::4rob::4corrinf:
C::4lucario::4lucas::4littlemac::4luigi::4myfriends::4robinf::4wiifit::4olimar::4lucina:
D::4duckhunt::4bowser::4wario2::4drmario::4palutena::4gaw::4bowserjr::4kirby:
E::4pacman::4shulk::4dedede::4link::4falco::4samus::4feroy:
F::4ganondorf::4zelda::4charizard::4jigglypuff:

Last edited:

Ghostbone

Smash Master
upload_2016-7-26_15-10-28.png

I'll do a text version near the end of the voting period when I decide not to edit the list any further.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247

Comments:

This list IS ORDERED within tiers. This is also not my final draft, but if I haven't updated by deadline, consider it so.

I left out the Miis because of lack of standardized rules.

I also left off Lucina because I cannot for the life of me figure out where to place her. I don't think there's a reason to play her over Marth, she doesn't have any real results to speak of, but at the same time when you compare her with Marth it feels wrong to separate them by an entire tier. I'd label her 'competitively obsolete' and I can't decide where I want her.

Diddy, Sheik, Mario - I think Diddy is the clear best character based on results. The sheer number of Diddy Kong players that frequently place top 16 is the primary reason I think this. My other contenders for this spot were Sheik and Mario. I think Mario is more a matter of two extremely strong stand-out players (Ally and Anti), as you don't see other Mario mains replicating that success to near the same degree. Sheik I think is held back some by her lack of super reliable kill confirms, and her results are a bit more lacking than Diddy's.

Cloud - I think Cloud's results justify him having a lower position than I placed him, but from a standpoint of character quality I just can't see myself placing him lower than 3rd.

I may come back to this later with some further refinements, but I wanted to at least post my first draft.

-6WX-

Smash Rookie
NNID
Wes6WX
3DS FC
5198-2711-1346
Ordered and based on results of the 3 biggest tourneys of the recent patches: Pound, CEO, Evo
And also using other nationals to help break ties like GOML, WTFox

posted by proxy

RichBrown

Smash Master
Disclaimer: I'm not totally sure about the placement of a lot of these characters and I'm definitely open to debate on most of this list. The game is so balanced and I could see any of these characters beating any of the others. Idk why my S tier is labeled undefined lol
It's somewhat ordered but like it's interchangeable for sure

posted by proxy

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team

Ned proxy, Miis are excluded (Ned does not have a SB account)

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Ordered within tiers.

Screen Shot 2016-08-07 at 11.52.02 PM.png

:093: