• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3-22-09 Poltergust Presents... "Brawl: Rise to the Top" (Miami, FL)

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
(OK... my first tournament... here goes nothing!)

Brawl:
Rise to the Top

OK, I believe that there is enough time to plan for this event since it's over three weeks away. Hopefully, it won't conflict with any other tournaments. Anybody is welcome to attend, just don't make me freak out because it's the first one that I'm hosting. :laugh:

OK, now for the information about the tournament!

Date:

March 22, 2009 (tentative)

It's going to be at my house. (I'm not sure if it shows up on Mapquest, tell me if there is a problem.)

Address: 7900 SW 120 Pl.
City: Miami, FL
Zip Code: 33183

Preferred Schedule:

10:00 AM - 11:20 AM: Sign-ups and Registration

11:30 AM - 2:00 PM: Brawl Doubles

2:00 PM - 3:00 PM: Break and PIZZA!

3:00 PM - 6:00 PM: Brawl Singles

Of course, this is just the preferred schedule. Times may very. Also, sorry for not including Melee in the schedule. Since this is the first tournament I'm hosting I want to keep it simple. Melee friendlies are allowed, though.

Fees:

Entry Fee: $5 (If you bring a Wii AND Brawl, you don't have to pay the fee. Neat, huh? :laugh:)
Brawl Doubles: $20 per team ($10 per person)
Brawl Singles: $10 per person
Pizza and Soda: $3 per person (we'll order pizza midway through the tourney; water is free)
Total: $28 per person with the entry fee and concessions fee included.

Pot Splits:

Brawl Doubles: 65/25/10
Brawl Singles: 70/20/10

(subject to change)

HOUSE RULES (IMPORTANT!):
  • OK, with this being the first tournament that I'm hosted, I need everyone to help this become a success. If something goes wrong, I won't be able to host another one.... So, please follow these guidelines.
  • NO alcohol or drugs anywhere. I'm sure you guys already know this... right? :dizzy:
  • Don't take anything. The entry fee alone is worth more than anything visible in the house anyways. XD
  • Entry fee is to be paid in the front of the house. A sign-in sheet will be present near the front door.
  • The left side of the house is OFF LIMITS (a sign will be on the door to that side).
  • I have a few pets, who may or may not be on our side of the house. Watch where you step.
  • No reckless behavior, especially when near fragile objects (which are... well... everywhere).
  • Please respect (or ignore, whichever one you prefer =P) my parents. They'll be constantly watching. :psycho:
  • So yeah, just follow these guidelines and everything will be just dandy. :chuckle:

Phone Numbers for Help:
House: (305) 279-4005
Mom: (305) 798-3144
Dad: (786) 261-5659
Mine: (305) 283-5675

OK, now to the actual rules of the tournament! :bee:

General Rules:

• 3-stock
  • 8-minute timer
  • No items
  • 2/3 for every match except for loser's finals, winner's finals, and grand finals. The loser's finals and winner's finals are 3/5, and the grand finals are 4/7.
  • BYOC
  • Double-elimination tournament.
  • If there is a dispute over controller ports, a game of Janken (a.k.a. Rock-Paper-Scissors) will be played to determine who gets to choose their port.
  • Dave's Stupid Rule is on.
  • If the timer runs out, then the winner is the person who was currently in the lead. If both players are exactly tied in both stock and percentage, a 3-minute, 1-stock match will be played on Final Destination. If that also results in a tie, go along with Sudden Death.
  • Advanced Slob Picks is on.
  • Mages DQ Rule is on. MAKE SURE that you respond immediately when you are called out. I will make no exceptions for anyone.
  • If a player successfully performs a suicide move when both players are on their last stock (Ganoncide, Bowsercide), then the suicider is the winner of that match.
  • The Gentleman's Rule is in effect. This means that, if one player wants to put it to effect, infinites will be banned for that particular set. If no mention of the Gentleman's Rule occurs, then infinites are allowed.
  • If infinites are allowed, any infinite is allowed to 250% before it is considered stalling.
  • Remember to check on your name in the character selection screen as well as your controller. I claim no responsibility to either one if something goes wrong.
  • You are allowed to ban one stage at the beginning of each set. (stage list below)
  • A stage-striking system will be in place. Both players take turns striking a neutral stage at the beginning of a set until there is only one stage left, which would then be played on. Those stages are then banned for the FIRST MATCH of the set, but can be played on afterwards as a counterpick.
  • If a player performs an action that disrupts the game or prevents the game from continuing (such as freezing, resetting, physically distracting other players), then that player automatcally loses the match.
  • Any form of stalling is banned. (I need some referees to keep this in check)
  • Meta Knight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.
  • You guys can request to play on a different TV if you are assigned to a Plasma TV or LCD TV if you feel that the lag may affect you too much.

Additional Doubles Rules:

• Team Attack is on.
  • Life stealing is allowed.

Stage List:

Neutral:
Final Destination
Battlefield
Smashville
Yoshi's Island (Brawl version)
Lylat Cruise

Counterpick:
Delfino Plaza
Luigi's Mansion*
Pirate Ship
Norfair
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Castle Siege
Jungle Japes
Rainbow Cruise*
Brinstar
Pokemon Stadium 1

Banned:
Mushroomy Kingdom 1-1
Mushroomy Kingdom 1-2
Mario Circuit
Rumble Falls
Bridge of Eldin
Pokemon Stadium 2*
Spear Pillar
Port Town Aero Dive
Warioware Inc.
Distant Planet*
New Pork City
Summit
Skyworld
75m
Mario Bros.
Flat Zone 2
Pictochat*
Hanenbow
Shadow Moses Island
Green Hill Zone
Temple
Yoshi's Island (Melee version)*
Onett
Green Greens*
Corneria
Big Blue

Stage List Notes:
*Stages marked by this may switch from counterpick to banned or vice versa depending on what you guys want.

Attendee List:

1. Poltergust
2. MixCoatl
3. Nick Riddle
4. 8-Bit
5. Ruuku
6. Chaz
7. _WindeX_
8. verycoolguy
9. Creaty
10. Emo^Wolf
11. Seibrik
12. Galleon
13. MetaEvil
14. Fuego Fox

Wii and/or Brawl List

1. Poltergust =P
2. Nick Riddle
3. Ruuku
4. MixCoatl
5. Chaz
6. verycoolguy

I think that six setups are all we need.

If I missed anything in my rules, please feel free to tell me. I most likely forgot something. :laugh:

-!-

Smash Lord
ummm you shold deff. take pokemon stadium 1 from the starters list.... and this next stages shouldn't be as conter:

Pictochat
Jungle Japes
Rainbow Cruise
Green Greens
Hanenbow (no one chooses this in teams anyways lol)

this are just suggestions, and you are the TO so u have the power to do what u want ^.^

other then that... everything else looks good.... I may be able to go since it's not that far ^.^

EDIT: also is 20 the limit???

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
No, there's no limit to the number of people who can go. I just put 20 because that's around the number of people I expect to go. =P

So, I'll just put you up there...

Also, Jungle Japes isn't even up for consideration, so don't bother saying that it's not a counterpick. I'll consider everything else, though (even though I'm heavily biased towards Rainbow Cruise).

EDIT: Oh, we may be able to do that Yoshi vs. Kriby MM here if we don't get to do it at the tourney on the 14th, M!x. ;)

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
hey poltergust!
You may want to switch dates, because Play n Trade already has this date planned out.

they seem to have quite a good amount of people planning to attend to.
Mind moving it to a day before or after?

It'd be nice, but hey. If you can't hold it another day, that's all gravy.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I could put it on the 22nd, but since that would be a Sunday I don't think that many people will go.

...Then again, if more people are going to a PnT tourney that day I guess it is a bad idea about keeping it on the 21st...

Well, if I did change it to the 22nd, who would still go? I need many people to confirm that they will still go.

-!-

Smash Lord
Jungle Japes isn't even up for consideration, so don't bother saying that it's not a counterpick. I'll consider everything else, though (even though I'm heavily biased towards Rainbow Cruise).

EDIT: Oh, we may be able to do that Yoshi vs. Kirby MM here if we don't get to do it at the tourney on the 14th, M!X. ;)
I know it's consider a counter pick but i personally think its a gay stage so i suggest it to be remove but like i said your the TO so u have the word in the end... same goes for Rainbow Cruise...

and yea if we dont get the MM then we can do it in yours :)

and f its changed to a Sunday then its less chance for me to go since I usually work on Sundays :(

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Distaste for a stage is not enough to get it banned (personally, I hate Jungle Japes, but it is definitely counterpick material), but since many people don't realize this, Rainbow Cruise is usually banned. 'Tis a shame. ;__;

I would LOVE to change it to an April date, but I'm going to be busy all months on Saturdays. The 4th is my ACT test, the 11th is Easter, the 18th is a vacation to the Keys, and the 25th is too close to my niece's birth date (I'm going to be an uncle soon =D). So I don't know what to do. =/

-!-

Smash Lord
Distaste for a stage is not enough to get it banned (personally, I hate Jungle Japes, but it is definitely counterpick material), but since many people don't realize this, Rainbow Cruise is usually banned. 'Tis a shame. ;__;

I would LOVE to change it to an April date, but I'm going to be busy all months on Saturdays. The 4th is my ACT test, the 11th is Easter, the 18th is a vacation to the Keys, and the 25th is too close to my niece's birth date (I'm going to be an uncle soon =D). So I don't know what to do. =/
Yea there are a few stages that are Counter material... SBR certified... but I've never seen Jungle Japes, Pictochat , Green Greens, and Hanenbow in any Tournament that I've been to, and Deff. not seen Pokemon Stadium 1 as a started stage... and I've been to alot... Hanenbow has been allowed in one or two but NO ONE really picks it... Rainbow Cruise is gay imo but some Tourneys still have it as a counter... I'm pretty much voting for at least those I mention to be Banne but like I said before.. you are the TO so it's up to you...

my last tournaments I listen to what was requested... I added and took out stages... and I tried putting in Green Greens and Picto chat but everyone turn those downs... I don't really mind actually... it would just prove some people can only win in a gay stage lol I've been in that road long enough (will loose sometimes in gay stages but win the set) but anyways

I can try to make it to your tourney since its not too far and as thanks since you'll be attending mine... but it is a little early just three weeks away we'll see about that... if I do come I'll prob bring a few more guys with but I'll let you know

and Congrats on soon becoming an Uncle!!!
it feels cool being one hehehe

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Green Greens should be moved to a neutral! :bee:

Also Yoshi should be banned because hes too good. :bee:

*Is not going to this tourney* :laugh:

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
._.;

Well, I guess I can change the date, then. Thing is, if the tournament doesn't take place on the 22nd, then I'll be forced to postpone this to May.

Anyways, the date is changed now. And can anyone else other than M!x give some input on the stage list?

EDIT: Gah! I can't change the title! How can I change it!? ;__;

-!-

Smash Lord
._.;

Well, I guess I can change the date, then. Thing is, if the tournament doesn't take place on the 22nd, then I'll be forced to postpone this to May.

Anyways, the date is changed now. And can anyone else other than M!x give some input on the stage list?

EDIT: Gah! I can't change the title! How can I change it!? ;__;
Yea I was gonna suggest to move it to May... give a lot of time to plan ahead and get as much people as possible...

and yea just like the other guy said, Edit your first Post and go t advance... you can then Change whatever you want :)

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
I like that there are a lot of stages. I'll come to this whenever it is. Just not on 3/21. XD

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
OK, thanks Masky. =P

And I really don't want that many people to go. It is my first time hosting a tournament; I don't want to make it "Gigabits in Miami," you know. :laugh:

OK, now that that date dispute is settled (for now), who else is going and what is your input on the stages?

EDIT: Oh, and I added a new house rule about my pets. >.>

EDIT: Added a Wii and/or Brawl List. Post if you are going to bring a set-up. Also, we may need extra TVs, but I'm not keeping track of that.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Okay, I should be able to go, and I'll bring a Wii. Probably not a television though. Oh, and I'll also bring Seibrik's Lyra, so we can record.

-!-

Smash Lord
Hey I don't know if I'll be able to make it to this now... I had to choose between Gigs or This... and Gigs has more priority... but If you moved it for later on I might still go... right now it's a 50/50 for me

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Guess what? I finally downloaded tio and learned the ins and outs of it. =P

I'll update the page when I get the chance to.

EDIT: Oh, and I need a partner for my own tournament. I'll gladly team with anyone... >.>

_WindeX_

Smash Apprentice
I might make it. My parents like it better when the tourneys I go to are either in stores, important places, or gamer stores. I know I'm not gonna get ***** (lmao), but parents will be parents. I'll make it if my parents are in a good mood ;)

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
WindeX, you have no need to worry (lol Pokemon). My own parents are going to be there the whole time. You should tell your parents that so that they'll definitely let you go.

*still needs partner and input on stage list* :dizzy:

_WindeX_

Smash Apprentice
Might work on a regular parent, but I know minez WAY TOO WELL XD They'd be all like "So what does that mean? This persons parents could be criminals too!"

nevershootme

Smash Master
Stadium 1 is usually a counterpick stage as it has some random moments where people get screwed over, such as falling under the stage.

some tournaments allow pictochat, green green, and hanenbow for counterpicks. such as texas. but hanenbow for a double counterpick is a no no.

norfair is highly debatable as a counterpick since some like to pick that

jungle japes... i know that will summon tommy g any day... but too bad he ain't coming :( but it's highly debatable since falco can pwn face

most players outside florida use stage striking. which is both players pick neutral stages to strike out and that's your starting stage instead of the random button.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Stadium 1 is usually a counterpick stage as it has some random moments where people get screwed over, such as falling under the stage.

some tournaments allow pictochat, green green, and hanenbow for counterpicks. such as texas. but hanenbow for a double counterpick is a no no.

norfair is highly debatable as a counterpick since some like to pick that

jungle japes... i know that will summon tommy g any day... but too bad he ain't coming :( but it's highly debatable since falco can pwn face

most players outside florida use stage striking. which is both players pick neutral stages to strike out and that's your starting stage instead of the random button.
Actually, the more I think about it, the more I believe that Pokemon Stadium 1 is a counterpick. So, I moved it down there.

As for what you said about Hanenbow, I think that it is good only as a doubles stage because if it is played in singles then it greatly promotes camping. In doubles, it is much harder to camp, which is why it is a doubles only stage.

Norfair and Jungle Japes are not up for debate, you guys. To me, they are perfectly counterpick material: giving advantages to some characters while giving disadvantages to others without being totally unfair. Their hazards are predictable and can be easily avoided. Like I said, a dislike for a stage is not a valid reason for it to be banned, which is why I included stages that people don't normally play on.

And can you go into more detail on the stage striking system? I never really learned about that, and up till now I've been doing a random neutral for the first match of a set in every tournament I went to so far.

EDIT: Oh, don't forget to look at the banned list too, you guys. There are a few stages that could possibly be counterpick material.

nevershootme

Smash Master
"The SBR Recommended rule list uses the stage striking system. In this system, players take turns striking stages from the starter list until only one remains; these stages are not banned and can be counterpicked later in the set. There must be an odd number of starter stages."

that's the stage striking from overswarm's post

"
Hanenbow

The ability to circle camp showed itself here as well as the irritating effect of moving the ledges away from characters with damaging up+bs.

After a doubles vote, we decided that these problems were not as apparent in a teams match and, should a TO desire, they could place this on the counterpick list for doubles only."

the back room thoughts on this stage. not to mention there's barely any surface or swimming at the bottom of the stage....

-!-

Smash Lord
Glad to hear you moved PS1 out of the starters... it would be too funny to actually have it as a starter.... it's deff. better as counter.. Norfair and Jungle Japes are gay yea lol but it's rare when someone actually picks it... so not to worryy about it.... Picto chat can be a good counter pick yea but I really think Rainbow Cruise should be bann... yea it gives alot of advantages to a few characters... idk however I don't like Corneria but its a good counter and most tourneys have it i think, and it beats those stages that i think should be remove lol.... btw im not sur eif ill have enough space but i may be able to bring a tv/w!!

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
No items, MK only, Final Destination!

Just try the Gigs stage list. Most people don't complain. (Except maybe about PS2 and Norfair)

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I complained about the lack of Rainbow Cruise on Gigabits' stage list. >_>

Anyways, thanks for giving me the details on the stage-striking system, 8-Bit. I guess that is a better system than picking a random neutral stage. I'll add that to the rules.

Let me go further into why I allowed Hanenbow to be a doubles counterpick. Yes, the stage design is awkward, but there are no true hazards to speak of in that stage and I'm sure that every good player knows that you can't swim in the "water" at the bottom. In singles, it promotes camping too greatly. I can just be Yoshi, camp at one of the leaves, then jump away to another leaf if someone gets too close. In doubles, it is usually so chaotic that one cannot reliably camp there, making it pretty fair. Also, I don't want my tournament to be too bland, so having a few abnormal counterpicks can spice things up a little. =P

Yes, I also believe that Pictochat is a good counterpick too, M!X. Other than a couple of hazards, there really isn't anything all that bad about it. The stage, when it doesn't have any drawings, is kind of like FD. Most of the drawings are not even dangerous.

Rainbow Cruise is a great counterpick. Why can't I get people to believe that? It has no hazards, prevents camping and planking, and makes it difficult to chain-grab. The stage layout is not bad at all if you play on it often enough (which I do =P). It favors people with good aerials, and creates a disadvantage to people with bad recoveries. Making advantages and disadvantages is what a counterpick SHOULD do.

I would have made Corneria a counterpick if it didn't have that wall that people can be infinited on. I mean, just choose King Dedede or a character that has a jab-lock, camp down there, and when you find an opportunity to infinite someone you do just that. =/

EDIT: Wait, why are we discussing Corneria? It's not even up for consideration for becoming a counterpick.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
The only reason people do not like RC is this: It's a VERY GOOD MK level... Not that it makes a difference to me. Good ZSS level too.

Top Bottom