• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2020 US Presidential Election Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Trump is not a statesman or diplomat. Two things the potus should be. He wanted to win and he knew the best way was to tap into the seething animosity many Americans still feel towards minorities. After 8 years with Obama at the helm it comes as no surprise that much of America got behind the idea that America wasn't what it used to be and that it should be.

At least that's the "reality" of it.

But if these protests and demonstrations clearly illustrate its not the truth. The truth is that there isn't an easy way to "fix" America without addressing the diversity issue. This is to say all Americans deserve to live in peace, without fear of being met with hostility simply because of their skin color.
i’m curious if you really think of this is the case when his polling seems to suggest he is doing far better among minority voters than past R presidents.

If trump really is this evil man who hates minorities then why is he making all of these gains in these areas?

I think it is because he speaks to the working class on specific areas. Even when I see among lgbt like myself I favor him more than Biden.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
i’m curious if you really think of this is the case when his polling seems to suggest he is doing far better among minority voters than past R presidents.

If trump really is this evil man who hates minorities then why is he making all of these gains in these areas?

I think it is because he speaks to the working class on specific areas. Even when I see among lgbt like myself I favor him more than Biden.
Just going off those 2 articles I can see two points of interest. White voters with no college education (working class) are more supportive of Trump in 2016 and are now tending to lean toward Biden (his failure to help poorer families through unemployment has been a strong push).

Latino -Republicans- support Trump over Biden.

There used to be a thing where if you were black or another minority and you voted Republican you were a race traitor. Think back to Huey P. Newton's Era. I think that the case can be made that Republicans share many important values that Latinos share. And this in turn yields a group of voters willing to look past his seemingly caustic remarks he's made disparaging Latinos.

I don't necessarily agree he's making substantial gains though. He's still only garnered 30 percent of the Latino vote according to the first article and again those that do support him are already Republicans and would probably not change parties for Biden. The same can be said of the black vote. If you dig into the numbers Trump is going to control the battlegrounds where he won last time because of how skewed the power of the smaller middle America populations are. If he does manage to win I expect it'll bring forth the challenge to the electoral college we've been mulling since 2000.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Just going off those 2 articles I can see two points of interest. White voters with no college education (working class) are more supportive of Trump in 2016 and are now tending to lean toward Biden (his failure to help poorer families through unemployment has been a strong push).

Latino -Republicans- support Trump over Biden.

There used to be a thing where if you were black or another minority and you voted Republican you were a race traitor. Think back to Huey P. Newton's Era. I think that the case can be made that Republicans share many important values that Latinos share. And this in turn yields a group of voters willing to look past his seemingly caustic remarks he's made disparaging Latinos.

I don't necessarily agree he's making substantial gains though. He's still only garnered 30 percent of the Latino vote according to the first article and again those that do support him are already Republicans and would probably not change parties for Biden. The same can be said of the black vote. If you dig into the numbers Trump is going to control the battlegrounds where he won last time because of how skewed the power of the smaller middle America populations are. If he does manage to win I expect it'll bring forth the challenge to the electoral college we've been mulling since 2000.
Then why does he have a higher percentage vote among other groups like African Americans? I do think overall he has been getting a higher gain because he is representing these people in a way people miss when they pull the racism card.

If he is this super racist I don’t think he would be getting these kinds of support from minority communities.

It’s been played to death among the other stuff media and social media has thrown at him. People just see results she think he is more authentic representing them. Just being a working class representative and not strict establishment. As crass as he is, people see that as authentic and not someone in a filter like Biden. That’s what I see at least from my perspective.

For the electoral college, I would hope not because this is the same problem with the supreme courts right now when it got changed to a majority over a super majority. Suddenly when the R side gets to make 3 choices then people call foul because they do not have the majority anymore. I don’t think people are being honest when people want to see reform there over making a power play so it benefits them, Democrats because it makes California and New York basically only matter if we went to strict popular vote. California wasn’t always blue like it is now but might shift with everyone moving to Texas.

You gotta let the other states have a voice otherwise the needs of the rest of the country get ignored over super saturated population centers. Reform perhaps but I feel like most arguments I see with it are made in bad faith tbh. It seems more about they want a candidate to win over thinking the system needs change. Not saying you are l, just what I generally think on that topic.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Then why does he have a higher percentage vote among other groups like African Americans? I do think overall he has been getting a higher gain because he is representing these people in a way people miss when they pull the racism card.

If he is this super racist I don’t think he would be getting these kinds of support from minority communities.

It’s been played to death among the other stuff media and social media has thrown at him. People just see results she think he is more authentic representing them. Just being a working class representative and not strict establishment. As crass as he is, people see that as authentic and not someone in a filter like Biden. That’s what I see at least from my perspective.

For the electoral college, I would hope not because this is the same problem with the supreme courts right now when it got changed to a majority over a super majority. Suddenly when the R side gets to make 3 choices then people call foul because they do not have the majority anymore. I don’t think people are being honest when people want to see reform there over making a power play so it benefits them, Democrats because it makes California and New York basically only matter if we went to strict popular vote. California wasn’t always blue like it is now but might shift with everyone moving to Texas.

You gotta let the other states have a voice otherwise the needs of the rest of the country get ignored over super saturated population centers. Reform perhaps but I feel like most arguments I see with it are made in bad faith tbh. It seems more about they want a candidate to win over thinking the system needs change. Not saying you are l, just what I generally think on that topic.
I'm all about giving credit where it's due. So yes I do agree especially among black male voters the Realness of Trump is getting more and more people to think about voting for him. This goes back to the posts a few weeks ago showing just how poor a candidate Hilary was and Biden not being much better. Unfortunately they (establishment democrats) tend to come off as crusaders with no real pulp to their stance. But I digress...

If anything the Republicans need to demonstrate that BLM (do you support this cause?) and police brutality are important issues not to be squashed with heavy handed rhetoric and threats of increased security measures and instead taking the idea of systemic racism as a real issue and addressing it. I don't see this being the case tbh I see Trump using his influence to target "Democrat Cities" as hotbeda of civil unrest they somehow deserve to be cut off from his help and forced to bear his own militaristic approach instead of opening a true dialog. Maybe there can't be a dialog? I don't know... I just know that in too many parts of the country racism is still a problem and he isn't helping to make it better.

Here's an interesting take on the Electoral College issue..

As is explained States with large populations like California end up underrepresented while states like Wyoming are overrepresented. This is how we end up with these crazy results where now 2 times in the past 20 years the candidate lost the popular vote but still got elected! It's because the battleground states held enough Electors to tip the scales.

I understand the necessity for smaller states to have a fair voice but as the article relates to us there should really only be one way to choose the president. Everyone votes and whoever has the most votes wins, thus eliminating the possibility that the majority of Americans regardless of their home state get their choice.

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
I think it should be noted that anti-immigration/Mexico rhetoric isn't necessarily synonymous with anti-Latino sentiment. It's more of a nationality than a race thing at that point and contrary to the Dems popular belief class and nationality usually trumps race outside of the coasts. I don't have time to research but I'm betting that it has less to do with Republican and more to do with rural Latinos. Which would not bode well for Dems attempting to retake those areas.

The Dems have been bleeding minority and working class support with the previously Republican voting wealthy defecting to the Democrats. It's part of the party realignment I mentioned earlier in the topic and I think it is going to have an interesting effect on the Electoral College. Previously you could say that things were a bit balanced with the wealthy suburbs voting Republican in heavily dense populations that swing Democrat and union workers voting Democrat in what is usually Republican controlled rural areas. But it seems like we might see a coalition between rural conservatives and working class voters and between wealthy suburbs and what is considered the left nowadays. That may very well polarize things strictly between rural and urban districts. Which also doesn't bode well given that the Electoral College is weighted more towards rural.

It should also be noted that these demographics in question went heavily for Bernie (Latino and young black voters). My guess is Biden being so explicit in his opposition to any sort of systemic changes and Trump's usual vague nature on these things is probably at work and it might end up being a similar dynamic to 2016. Not to mention for all the accusations for Trump being racist; Biden and the Democrats are the actual architects of modern systemic racism and their crime bill is the focus of the current protests. Older black voters may be clinging to the clout they managed to gain within the Democratic Party, but it is young blacks that are targeted by the system. Trump may or may not talk the talk on racist dog whistling or whatever, but he is probably the cleanest when it comes to actual actions on this matter. All of the Dem front runners have a lot of iffy ties to this racist system in some form.

If he does manage to win I expect it'll bring forth the challenge to the electoral college we've been mulling since 2000.
There's not a chance in hell that the Democrats get rid of the Electoral College. It's the only thing stopping an actual left-wing party from mounting a serious challenge. Their entire strategy is based around the lesser of two evils and having better challengers would completely wreck their strategy and their power along with it. There would be no two party system without it and neither of the two parties would willingly give up that power.

It should also be mentioned that both parties have gotten an equal amount of time in the White House for the last 50 or so years, so the idea that the Democrats are disadvantaged by the Electoral College is not congruent with history. 2000, 2004, and 2016 are entirely on the Democrats for putting forth **** candidates.

I certainly sympathize with your desire to not let the coasts dominate politics, but I think the Electoral College actually helps not hinders that domination. By limiting choices to two parties that are dominated by coastal elites in some fashion you are effecting a sham system whereby Faction A with a conservative aesthetic and Faction B with a liberal aesthetic do exactly the same things for slightly different surface level reasons. There's not much point in worrying about regional differences when the wealthy donors that control both parties are from Silicon Valley and Wall Street.

Alicorn

Cyber Bunny

You will always have people who aren't put off by Trump's racist dogma. That doesn't change the fact that Trump has around a 6 percent approval rating with Black men and 3 percent with Black woman. That is really really bad. Which isn't surprising given how Trump's racist behavior is well known in the community.

D

Deleted member

So Election Day is arriving in two days.

I feel like the winner will be decided a few days after Election Day, because of the mail ballots.

However, I am confident that Joe Biden will win.

What scares me is that the MAGA chuds are SO into Trump, it is basically a cult. You already had Trump supporters ram into a Biden campaign bus as of recently. If Biden wins, they are going to freak out and cause havoc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
What scares me is that the MAGA chuds are SO into Trump, it is basically a cult. You already had Trump supporters ram into a Biden campaign bus as of recently. If Biden wins, they are going to freak out and cause havoc.
Two things.

One, I think it's far more likely that the opposite happens — people cause havoc if Trump wins. From what I've seen, most of the people involved in riots and mobs are usually older teens and young adults. That's an age range that typically leans to the left, so I think places that are mostly democratic and have a high number of people from that age demographic are most at risk. That makes sense considering how big cities like New York City, Philadelphia, Chicago, and even Washington DC are already taking precautions by boarding up businesses and ramping up security. With that in mind, I'm not expecting the most conservative areas in the most conservative states to suffer from violent riots due to a Biden win.

Two, the incident you're referring to with the Biden campaign bus? The bus wasn't touched. There was a SUV and a truck with pro-Trump flags that collided, but if you look at one of the videos provided, the driver of the SUV drove out of their lane. Not sure if it was intentional or not, but regardless, the only thing the Trump supporters did in this case was aggressive driving (intentionally surrounding, slowing down, and following the bus). Maybe not the most mature thing to do, but I've seen far worse on both sides.

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
Either outcome is going to lead to riots. We've already had plenty of cases of Trump supporters doing everything from burning ballot boxes to attempted kidnapping or assassination of Democratic politicians and there were riots when Trump got elected in 2016. That's just where we are now.

D

Deleted member

Either outcome is going to lead to riots. We've already had plenty of cases of Trump supporters doing everything from burning ballot boxes to attempted kidnapping or assassination of Democratic politicians and there were riots when Trump got elected in 2016. That's just where we are now.
The problem is that the MAGA chuds love Trump so much. They are so use to him having power. Trump being gone is going to make their brains melt, and they will definitely hurt many innocent people.

Do not compare these riots to the riots right after George Floyd was murdered, because those riots were extremely justified.

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
The problem is that the MAGA chuds love Trump so much. They are so use to him having power. Trump being gone is going to make their brains melt, and they will definitely hurt many innocent people.

Do not compare these riots to the riots right after George Floyd was murdered, because those riots were extremely justified.
I'm talking election night 2016. There were riots right after Trump was confirmed to have won. I'm expecting a more severe version this time around for both outcomes. Democrats are currently convinced Trump is the source of all bad things in the world and Trump has his supporters convinced that the election is rigged if he loses (but not if he wins of course).

D

Deleted member

I'm talking election night 2016. There were riots right after Trump was confirmed to have won. I'm expecting a more severe version this time around for both outcomes. Democrats are currently convinced Trump is the source of all bad things in the world and Trump has his supporters convinced that the election is rigged if he loses (but not if he wins of course).
I mean yes, you are correct. However, MAGA chuds will probably target innocent people, unlike riots from the left.

What I am trying to say is leftist riots are against the elite and the cops, but right-wing riots will hurt ordinary and innocent people, including us.

Speaking of the Democrats, they are a weak "resistance" party. Even if Trump wins, I guarantee you Biden is going to put many Republicans close to him. The Democrats opened arms to the Lincoln Project, which is a very bad sign.

Liberals need to learn that the issue is systematic, not just from one person. Trump losing does not mean that you will return back to brunch. I mean people are even saying he is the worst person in human history, and like, what?

Trump is a fascist, and I despise him, but there have been much worse people out there.

Anyways, these times are rough.

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
What I am trying to say is leftist riots are against the elite and the cops, but right-wing riots will hurt ordinary and innocent people, including us.
Riots are amoral and aren't really something you can control or only target at one group. Or at least the police will never allow them to set foot in rich areas and have strategies such as "kettleing" to keep them locked in poor areas. But I do agree with the rest of your post.

And Chomsky has pretty much lost the plot when it comes to anything regarding elections and seems to be a little too influenced by Neoliberalism in that aspect. While you can a make a case for voting either one of them Chomsky is too narrow in some of his views and produces subpar arguments. I can get how you can make a case for Republicans being worse than Hitler by tying the extinction of all life on earth (climate change) to them, but implying Democrats are going to be any better is taking "lesser of two evils" too literally. Yes, Trump will accelerate climate change and Democrats may stagnate it, but neither will meet the minimum requirements to stop it.

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace

Huh?
Youre saying some wild ****, beyond wild. Rioting is justified, but only when you personally agree with it?
No, its not. You dont get to just **** up peoples' private property and attack people who dont agree with you.
Protests, yes. But saying that rioting is ok for the left but not for the right is ****ing insane. Rioting is not ok and i would assume that you would be singing a different tune if it was your property that was getting ****ed up.
This kind of **** is what pushed me and many others away from the left.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Huh?
Youre saying some wild ****, beyond wild. Rioting is justified, but only when you personally agree with it?
No, its not. You dont get to just **** up peoples' private property and attack people who dont agree with you.
Protests, yes. But saying that rioting is ok for the left but not for the right is ****ing insane. Rioting is not ok and i would assume that you would be singing a different tune if it was your property that was getting ****ed up.
Real talk. More people care about this election since anyone can remember and it's going to be an Interesting time.

Thank God for auto censored cusses. (I feel this but we can save the bandwidth on it)

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I mean yes, you are correct. However, MAGA chuds will probably target innocent people, unlike riots from the left.

Huh?
These riots don't discriminate. There have been plenty of riots in 2020 led by the left that are ultimately responsible for the deaths of innocent people who are neither cops or part of the elite. Some of these victims were young children and even fellow protestors who were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Not that it really matters who the victim was. People shouldn't act like any of the injuries and/or deaths caused by these riots are justified. Just because your target is a cop or part of the elite doesn't mean it's any less of a crime to hurt them.

D

Deleted member

Huh?
Listen, let me explain.

The rioters are targeting cops, elites, and anyone who supports them, not innocent people.

Also, a human life is much more important than any property.
And Chomsky has pretty much lost the plot when it comes to anything regarding elections and seems to be a little too influenced by Neoliberalism in that aspect. While you can a make a case for voting either one of them Chomsky is too narrow in some of his views and produces subpar arguments. I can get how you can make a case for Republicans being worse than Hitler by tying the extinction of all life on earth (climate change) to them, but implying Democrats are going to be any better is taking "lesser of two evils" too literally. Yes, Trump will accelerate climate change and Democrats may stagnate it, but neither will meet the minimum requirements to stop it.
Just watched a bit of Manufacturing Consent as in the documentary, and man, he was very solid back in the day. Guess age takes a toll.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Listen, let me explain.

The rioters are targeting cops, elites, and anyone who supports them, not innocent people.

You're insinuating that cops, elites, and those who support them deserve to be targeted by rioters because they're all guilty of some type of crime. It's hardly fair to make a judgment like that without knowing more about the specific person. Is knowing that your neighbors support the police enough to justify breaking all their windows and spray painting the outside of their house?

Like I said before, I don't think anyone has a justifiable excuse to inflict harm on a person or their property. None of that is required in order to have your voice heard.

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace
Listen, let me explain.

Just watched a bit of Manufacturing Consent as in the documentary, and man, he was very solid back in the day. Guess age takes a toll.
Anyone who supports the wide and broad group of "cops" is not innocent. Someone who disagrees with what you happen to believe at the time deserves to get attacked, and their property destroyed?
Do you realize what you're saying?
Human life and property are not mutually exclusive. Peoples' businesses that they worked hard to build and are working hard to maintain do not deserve to be destroyed by rioters, regardless of what they may or may not believe.
Your ideas seem to whitewash what happens during riots. These people are not entitled to peoples' lives, nor are they entitled to their property.

D

Deleted member

So, if Biden or Trump reach 270 electoral votes tonight with the current ballots received, we'll know the winner?
Yep. If one of the reaches or surpasses 270 electoral votes, they are the victor.
Anyone who supports the wide and broad group of "cops" is not innocent. Someone who disagrees with what you happen to believe at the time deserves to get attacked, and their property destroyed?
Do you realize what you're saying?
Human life and property are not mutually exclusive. Peoples' businesses that they worked hard to build and are working hard to maintain do not deserve to be destroyed by rioters, regardless of what they may or may not believe.
Your ideas seem to whitewash what happens during riots. These people are not entitled to peoples' lives, nor are they entitled to their property.
There is a reason why these riots happen though. What are people supposed to do? Just peacefully protest over and over? People have tried peacefully protesting for years, but it hardly does anything, sadly. Direct action scares the government more than peacefully protesting. People want change. People want the cops to stop murdering black people. The government isn't listening, so it does not leave them much choice. They aren't hurting or killing innocent people as I said. They are just going after elites and the cops.

GenoDoge

Smash Journeyman
Yep. If one of the reaches or surpasses 270 electoral votes, they are the victor.

There is a reason why these riots happen though. What are people supposed to do? Just peacefully protest over and over? People have tried peacefully protesting for years, but it hardly does anything, sadly. Direct action scares the government more than peacefully protesting. People want change. People want the cops to stop murdering black people. The government isn't listening, so it does not leave them much choice. They aren't hurting or killing innocent people as I said. They are just going after elites and the cops.
Hoping we actually hear the winner tonight, but I have doubts.

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace

Where is the logic here? If this was the case then businesses wouldn't have been smashed up, and people unrelated to the incidents wouldn't have been hurt.
Also, what is this nonsense about "the elites"? Your sense of who's innocent and who's not seems almost psychotic.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If there's one thing I'm sure of, it's that we're in for a close and tight race. Based off of the generic numbers we've gotten so far, I can already tell that the pollsters didn't learn a thing from 2016. This won't be a quick victory for either candidate.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870

Not bring innocent citizens into it. Zane already shared sentiments that I agree on. People work hard to keep their businesses going to support their families and customers, and windows and junk being destroyed is bringing them into a fight they don't deserve to be in, and it causes chaos that doesn't need to happen. The chaos spreads very easily.

And to be as honest as possible without going overboard, such a mindset that you have pisses me right the heck off. How dare you, seriously.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm not excited for the next 4 years gonna be honest. No matter what happens we'll still be stuck with one of two pretty bad candidates.

D

Deleted member

Some things.

An issue with Florida for Biden is that most Cubans and Venezuelans will likely vote for Trump. However, it is quite close. Anyone could take it. Personally, I think Biden will come out on top, but I am not as confident.

Biden is doing quite well in Ohio, Kansas, and New Hampshire. Illinois, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts called for Biden.

Also, a water pipe bursted in Fulton County. It seems very fishy, as that county is for Biden.
I hate how close this is. Bernie would’ve landslided this
Personally, I believe Biden will be the victor, because Trump has a LOT of states to win.

But still...
1604452362518.png

D

Deleted member

Some things.

An issue with Florida for Biden is that most Cubans and Venezuelans will likely vote for Trump. However, it is quite close. Anyone could take it. Personally, I think Biden will come out on top, but I am not as confident.

Biden is doing quite well in Ohio, Kansas, and New Hampshire. Illinois, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts called for Biden.

Also, a water pipe bursted in Fulton County. It seems very fishy, as that county is for Biden.

Personally, I believe Biden will be the victor, because Trump has a LOT of states to win.

But still...
View attachment 291106
I'm in Massachusetts so I got to vote Green but god do I hate the electoral college. Otherwise I would've voted Biden since my vote would've actually mattered.

I don't think Biden is taking Florida. He's doing much worse than Clinton did in Miami-Dade. It's going to be close but I think the election hinges on Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin. Pennsylvania is the one I'm watching out for since I think whoever wins there has it in the bag.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
At this point, I'd be surprised if Biden won Florida. Trump has a 4% advantage and 90% of the vote is in. The panhandle of Florida usually gets their votes in last, and that's an area that reliably leans Republican.

D

Deleted member

I will say it again. I still believe Biden will win, but the Democrats really ****ed up in choosing Biden.

A majority of the people voting for Trump love him, while the majority of people voting for Biden just want Trump out of the office.

Many of them probably dislike Biden, but they are voting just to remove Trump.

If Bernie was going against Trump, I guarantee you Bernie would do much better than Biden is doing.

It should not be this close. It should not be.

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace

Biden got slaughtered in comparison. Bernie definitely could have won.

D

Deleted member

Sarah McBride and John Hickenlooper won, which I guess is something.

The Democrats have the House I think, and they could flip the Senate.

D

Deleted member

Only 13% in but somehow Ranked Choice Voting is currently looking like its gonna fail as a ballot provision in my state of Massachusetts. Even in the bluest of states are we really gonna fail to pass the most basic of democratic reforms? Smh

D

Deleted member

Biden is winning the electoral college so far, but man, this is too close for my comfort.
1604457232881.png

D

Deleted member

Florida and Texas are currently leaning red now instead of blue earlier.
Here is another map.
1604457731582.png

The election is far from over, but man, how is Trump winning the popular vote? The hell?

I still think Biden will take a victory, but it will be close. Also mail in votes are a thing to consider, and Democratic voters tended to stay indoors a lot more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom