• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2020 US Presidential Election Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Realistically, Biden has to win Wisconsin & Michigan to eke out a win at 270-268 in the electoral college. Trump is gonna take this to court like what happened in 2000 isn’t he?

Last edited by a moderator:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
More then likely. It will go to sc. They will choose trump

Well. Looks like wi votes will be called into question. This is not good.

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Realistically, Biden has to win Wisconsin & Michigan to eke out a win at 270-268 in the electoral college. Trump is gonna take this to court like what happened in 2000 isn’t he?
More then likely. It will go to sc. They will choose trump
If PA also ends up Biden with the mail in ballots from predominantly liberal counties, I don't see a court contest working out for the Trump campaign. In any case, the 2000 Bush v Gore SCOTUS decision was to prevent a recount in Florida from finishing, not to enable a recount. They cannot on their own initiate something that would have an impact here, however I'm sure the offices of the conservative justices (of which there are 6 of 9) are in contact with Trump campaign officials. There still would need to be something done (like a recount) by either the Biden or Trump campaign for SCOTUS to rule on it.
Well. Looks like wi votes will be called into question. This is not good.
The Wisconsin margin is 20k votes, recounts in that state in 2011 and 2016 only changed 312 and 131 votes respectively. Can't see a recount actually mattering here. Demanding a recount there seems futile (is also expensive, to my knowledge Wisconsin charges for recounts) but may be done just to build a narrative in the case where the Trump campaign demands recounts in other states as well.

D

Deleted member

If PA also ends up Biden with the mail in ballots from predominantly liberal counties, I don't see a court contest working out for the Trump campaign. In any case, the 2000 Bush v Gore SCOTUS decision was to prevent a recount in Florida from finishing, not to enable a recount. They cannot on their own initiate something that would have an impact here, however I'm sure the offices of the conservative justices (of which there are 6 of 9) are in contact with Trump campaign officials. There still would need to be something done (like a recount) by either the Biden or Trump campaign for SCOTUS to rule on it.

The Wisconsin margin is 20k votes, recounts in that state in 2011 and 2016 only changed 312 and 131 votes respectively. Can't see a recount actually mattering here. Demanding a recount there seems futile (is also expensive, to my knowledge Wisconsin charges for recounts) but may be done just to build a narrative in the case where the Trump campaign demands recounts in other states as well.
I think he’s going to dispute the legality and/or validity of a lot of mail in ballots. He’s been laying the groundwork for such a challenge for months now and this is my fear going into the coming weeks. A Republican Supreme Court could very easily rule in favor of Trump regardless of whether or not his argument holds any water (it won’t) just because that’s how the right wing of this country operates: seize power no matter what.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Trump's team is doubling down, stating that they're fully confident that the remaining votes in Arizona will give him roughly a 30,000 lead over Biden, meaning the state was prematurely called.

If that comes into fruition, that would subtract 11 electoral votes from Biden's score, putting us at 225 Trump/227 Biden. Not sure if this would happen, but it does explain why CNN hasn't called the state yet.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Okay, so this might be late, but Biden won Wisconsin. And he is in the lead in Michigan.

Yeah, I think Biden is our president.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Don't count your chickens before they hatch ;p

But seems like it'll take a while to count everything

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
I'm a little leery of these being called when they're so close. Not only does it not take much to swing things, but it fuels suspicions of rigging.

I am surprised that Biden managed to make a comeback in those states though. I figured Nevada would be close but I didn't think Biden would potentially take Wisconsin. Guess it may come down to NV, AZ, and GA after all.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Never count chickens. Trump is going to contest, ask for recounts in all three states and then goto the Supreme court to win. They will hand him the election siting 2000 and we will have Trump.

Stay on your toes.

D

Deleted member

I'm a little leery of these being called when they're so close. Not only does it not take much to swing things, but it fuels suspicions of rigging.

I am surprised that Biden managed to make a comeback in those states though. I figured Nevada would be close but I didn't think Biden would potentially take Wisconsin. Guess it may come down to NV, AZ, and GA after all.
I'm a bit confused about Arizona. Most maps claim Biden won, but I see some sources that claim Biden didn't win Arizona.

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
I'm a bit confused about Arizona. Most maps claim Biden won, but I see some sources that claim Biden didn't win Arizona.
I think Fox initially called it for Biden and then retracted it. I don't know how much of the remaining vote was actually from registered Republicans like previously thought, so that could be throwing things off potentially. I honestly would just wait for the full vote count as these margins are too close for these outlets to be realistically calling them.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think Fox initially called it for Biden and then retracted it. I don't know how much of the remaining vote was actually from registered Republicans like previously thought, so that could be throwing things off potentially. I honestly would just wait for the full vote count as these margins are too close for these outlets to be realistically calling them.
Yeah, but with Biden most likely winning Nevada and Arizona, it's over, in my opinion. Biden is president.

And I do not think Trump is powerful enough to coup.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's very close, and there's grounds for voter fraud which the replublicans will pursue. I think this will be drawn out in whatever case.

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
As someone who is paying close attention to this for a few reasons, despite people in other places saying I shouldn't since I'm not American (but I am from one of your closest allies) I'm hoping for a Biden win but I can still see Trump trying to screw it up.

Having an Irish American in the White House means Boris can't screw over the Northern Irish peace process (thus giving more support for Scottish Independence and Irish Reunification) unless he doesn't want a trade deal with the US. Still with Trump that could happen but to a lesser extent.

Not to also mention I've friends on here and family in the US so it means alot to me.

Edit: To add on to this, in every major ally and adversary this election is very important as it could shift geopolitics for the next decade or more.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yup, I am saying it.

Biden is going to win.

I am extremely confident in Biden winning.

However, I overestimated Biden. I thought he would have at least a 300 point lead.

D

Deleted member

If COVID didn't happen Trump would've won in a landslide. Democrats need to run on the left wing issues that poll well across the country or be content with being decimated in the Senate and Electoral College.

D

Deleted member

Here is the map.
1604531448488.png

Everyone, it's over. Biden is winning in Nevada. Biden is beginning to increase his lead in the light red states.

Biden is our president. I hate Biden, but it is really fun to dunk on the MAGA chuds.
1604531638581.png

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
Ain't gonna lie but that is what scares me. How extreme would he go if he loses? Start a war? End the world?

He frightens me honestly in how unpredictable he can be.
In all honesty Trump is less a fascist and more a tinpot dictator. Meaning he has no real power or authority among the various institutions. Everything from the courts to the media and at least the high ranking members of the military are against him. His only real defense against these forces is the legal immunity he is granted by the Presidency. Once that's gone he will have no recourse whatsoever.

The real danger comes from his various supporters. But even then that will probably be less severe than is currently fearmongered about.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Here is the map.
View attachment 291188
Everyone, it's over. Biden is winning in Nevada. Biden is beginning to increase his lead in the light red states.

Biden is our president. I hate Biden, but it is really fun to dunk on the MAGA chuds.
Well, it's going to be taken to court because of the voter fraud, so it doesn't mean he'll be sworn in.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
In all honesty Trump is less a fascist and more a tinpot dictator. Meaning he has no real power or authority among the various institutions. Everything from the courts to the media and at least the high ranking members of the military are against him. His only real defense against these forces is the legal immunity he is granted by the Presidency. Once that's gone he will have no recourse whatsoever.

The real danger comes from his various supporters. But even then that will probably be less severe than is currently fearmongered about.
He does have that nuclear briefcase though. I doubt he would snap on that road (especially him a man with kids) but it still frightens me.

Regardless for me, a Biden win means Boris can't screw over my part of the country without proper repercussions. Screw over the Northern Irish Agreement? No US trade deal.
Trump would give him a free pass over of course but Irish Americans do have a powerful voice (despite some people not knowing the history).

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
He does have that nuclear briefcase though. I doubt he would snap on that road (especially him a man with kids) but it still frightens me.
I would not be surprised if the Biden admin cut Trump a deal where they don't prosecute him in exchange for Trump leaving (relatively) quietly. Those shenanigans are fairly common in US politics and that legal immunity from prosecution is the only real reason why Trump wants to hold onto the Presidency so badly.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I would not be surprised if the Biden admin cut Trump a deal where they don't prosecute him in exchange for Trump leaving (relatively) quietly. Those shenanigans are fairly common in US politics and that legal immunity from prosecution is the only real reason why Trump wants to hold onto the Presidency so badly.
Dems pull that, and the party will be over.

D

Deleted member

Hey ShinyLegendary, this isn't a casual lighthearted discussion thread; it exists in the Serious Discussion, so we expect users to treat it as such. Please try to keep contributions on-topic and of substance, and avoid trolling-style content.
My apologies, I will not post trolling-style content.

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
Dems pull that, and the party will be over.
There will be major backlash to be sure but nothing the good old lesser of two evils rationale can't fix. I expect "Do you want Trump in for another four years!!?!" to become "Do you want another Trump !!?!" real quickly. If nothing else than their new base of wealthy whites will swallow it even if they don't like it.

This is the same base that let Obama get away with letting Wall Street get away with almost collapsing the economy.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Looks like Nevada is calling it quits for today, unless something happens with Georgia or Pennsylvania, we won't know anything until tomorrow.

Not sure what will need to happen in 2022, but I'm guessing the next big battle aside from a 2nd stimulus will be making sure COVID vaccines are covered by health plans.

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
but I'm guessing the next big battle aside from a 2nd stimulus will be making sure COVID vaccines are covered by health plans.
You would need to ensure that people actually have health plans before that. Prospects aren't great on that front as a Biden presidency and Republican Senate is almost guaranteed austerity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom