• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta 2015 Community Tier List Voting

Pretzl

Smash Rookie
Its important to view these lists as indicators of how powerful characters are if played with supreme efficiency - possibly even better than any of the current gods can play them right now. If played to their fullest potential, I think at least my S and A ranks are perfect. I'm not sure where to put Pika, but I know that Ices don't deserve a spot past B tier. It is my opinion that IC players have been winning because they are simply out playing and out thinking most of the field. Falcon as always comes in as the lowest of the higher tiers.

S
Falco
Fox
Marth
Jigglypuff

A
Sheik
Peach
Cpt Falcon

B
Ice Climbers
Samus
Pikachu
Luigi
Doc
Yoshi
Ganon

C
Mario
YL
DK
Roy
Link
GW

D
Pichu
Mewtwo
Kirby
Ness
Bowser
Zelda

Last edited:

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
F Tier explanation - :pichumelee: Pichu is actually the best of the 3 here. Her damaging attacks aren't even that useful for her, and the do at max 5% to her. No big deal, right? It wouldn't be if she wasn't so light and floaty! She dies to almost everything. Her edgeguarding game is almost kinda good, but really isnt. Pichu has a lack of kill moves, and her good throw game is hindered by her terrible grab range. terrible OoS options, and just being a terrible character puts her here.
:bowsermelee: Bowser at least has some kill potential. God damn but do all of his moves have to be laggy? Honestly! You better hope your opponent a) doesn't know how to DI, b) doesnt know how to recover, and c) is a complete and total dumb*ss that walks into every single move that you do. Bowser is the most predictable character in the game. Its almost like your opponent is watching your controller, not your character. Bowser also has huge hurtboxes, allowing for every character in the game to anally destroy him. He doesn't have one MU in his favor, either. How about you do yourself a favor and not ever pick this character in competitive play.
:kirbymelee: Kirby. Oh, Kirby. How much could you get nerfed from one smash game to the next? Cause i think you set a world record, there buddy! you went from second on the tier list, a viable character, to the worst. THE WORST. Everyone can break out of your throws, your range sucks, you have no kill moves, why are you even in the game? You die at 46% to every move. Even Fox's jab. The only thing you have going for you is your 5-hop + up b. thats it. youre trash.
pichu has a good nair OoS and a decent roll. if you want horrible OoS options, look at falcon and ganondorf. no, pichu's edgeguarding game is actually good. pichu has kill moves, too... nair and up smash are great. f smash is good for the niche times that he can time the final hit. his grab range itself isn't the best, but his reach is about the same as Fox's.

kirby's bair and up air kill. he doesn't die that early to moves that other characters wouldn't. for example, most characters aren't going to have a good time when they take a tippered f smash from marth at that percent. if anything, the good thing about him is his ground game, not his jumps, since his aerial mobility blows. the jumps do help him go pretty low for gimps though.

it's a good thing the actual tier list will only take the MIOM's top 100 votes into account...

Azotal

Smash Cadet
Falco
Fox
One of the problems that Falco has (and why I, and many others, don't put him above fox) is that a lot of his brain-dead combos are smash-DI-able (or general side DI on the shine makes them a LOT harder). On the other hand, at "supreme efficiency" as you put it, fox doesn't really have these flaws. Perfect waveshines, high mobility, and almost as good of tech options make fox scarier than falco (in an efficient match).

Link24a

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Link24b
3DS FC
1418-6839-5991
F Tier explanation - :pichumelee: Pichu is actually the best of the 3 here. Her damaging attacks aren't even that useful for her, and the do at max 5% to her. No big deal, right? It wouldn't be if she wasn't so light and floaty! She dies to almost everything. Her edgeguarding game is almost kinda good, but really isnt. Pichu has a lack of kill moves, and her good throw game is hindered by her terrible grab range. terrible OoS options, and just being a terrible character puts her here.
Well I've definitely never seen Pichu be addressed with female pronouns...
Not too well versed with Melee but I think I got a decent list.

S:
1.:falcomelee:
2.:foxmelee:
3.:marthmelee:
4.:falconmelee:
5.:jigglypuffmelee:
6.:sheikmelee:
A:
7.:icsmelee:
8.:peachmelee:
9.:pikachumelee:
10.:luigimelee:
11.:mariomelee:
B:
12.:samusmelee:
13.:drmario:
14.:ganondorfmelee:
15.:yoshimelee:
16.:younglinkmelee:
17.:roymelee:
18.:linkmelee:
C:
19.:mewtwomelee:
20.:nessmelee:
21.:gawmelee:
22.:zeldamelee:
F:
23.:dkmelee:
24.:pichumelee:
25.:bowsermelee:
26.:kirbymelee:
Pls no

Last edited:

Grass

Smash Lord
LOL gender differences hadn't been invented yet. It could have been intended to be a female Pichu, for all we knew!
Bruh, this is Gen 2 we're talking about. Puff is clearly female, Pika is male (afaik), and I'm pretty sure Pichu is male judging by his alt costumes.

Shadow Light Master

Smash Journeyman
Gen 2 didn't have gender differences in designs, dude. It had genders, yes, but things like the shape of Pichu's ear depending on sex didn't happen until gen 4 IIRC.

Wreckarooni

Smash Apprentice
Gen 2 didn't have gender differences in designs, dude. It had genders, yes, but things like the shape of Pichu's ear depending on sex didn't happen until gen 4 IIRC.
But look at how manly Pichu's costumes are in SSBM....so manly

Anyways, this isn't a Pokemon sex thread. Back to the tier list.

Liam_Butler

Smash Apprentice
I have a firm belief that Falcon is under developed and ICs are overrated. Both of these characters' current meta seem to be based on gimmicks, but the difference is that Falcon has potential to alter his placing by having less style and more substance. I feel like ICs will stagnate when they have enough representation that require everyone to learn their gimmicks and force everyone to learn the counters (I don't mean just wobbling. I don't even consider that a gimmick, but I know others do). I feel as though the only top tier IC tactics that I don't consider gimmicks are handoffs and wobbling. Most desyncs aren't particularly useful outside of certain circumstances (I.E. Desync A works for situation A, Desync B works for situation A, B, C, Desync C works for situation C, etc.). I do recognize why they are considered top tier and I recognize that they've had success, but I don't think they will ever win a major and I think that's why they need to drop down a spot or two, at least outside of the S tier list. Falcon, Peach, Puff, Sheik, Marth, Falco, Fox all have potential to win a major, but I think ICs had their glory (Wobbles EVO 2013).

Spoice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
snoopertrooper
The only reason ICs are in S tier is because of Wobbles' performance at evo 2013, but his great performance was great play by him, but at the same time, nobody really knew the match up amazingly and knew how to act when fighting ICs. PPMD vs Wobbles was a good example of that, some of it may have been down to PP choking, but he's not that kind of guy, even hbox and mango lost to the ICs, but ever since EVO 2013, everybody has learnt their lesson, they know not to underestimate the ICs, and as a result, the ICs aren't exactly a big threat. I don't think their position should go down, but just be put in a separate tier between S and A like before.

Pwii

Smash Apprentice
Falcon is probably #5. In the year 20xx every tech chase on fox/falco is covered via grabbing tech in place, and stomping/kneeing tech directions. You can SDI falco combos, or fox shines, but you can't sdi frame-tight pure reaction tech chases. He technically can tech chase sheik just as effectively as she can him, it's just harder for Cap so we haven't seen it yet. Not to mention different underused options like pivots, shield stops, and weird combinations of analog jump/drift let Falcon have the most creativity in aerial mixups. He is the fastest character in the game on the ground and in the air (when he dash jumps, otherwise puff) giving him the biggest effective range.

And this assumes that no one is allowed to read in 20xx. If you do take that into factor, Falcon's punishes off of reads are the hardest in the game.

Now this doesn't mean that he's the best. His neutral game lacks and he loses matchups against spacies (but in 20xx he doesn't lose nearly as bad as he does today). He's definitely #5.

Spaghetti Sammy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FreshBagels
3DS FC
0104-0256-0397
I largely agree with M2K's tier list
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/516492-super-smash-bros-melee/45227470
But my (new) tier list has some modifications.
S+ (YOURETHEBEST...AROOOOUND!NOTHINSGUNNAGETYADOWN)
:foxmelee::marthmelee::falcomelee::sheikmelee:
S (ur p-gud @ being p-gud)
:falconmelee::peachmelee::jigglypuffmelee::icsmelee::drmario: (#DocForSTier)
A (The characters that are good, but not good, ya feel me?)
:pikachumelee::dkmelee::mariomelee::luigimelee::samusmelee::ganondorfmelee:
B (You gotsta be Amsa to win the big money, the dough, the caaaaaaaash)
:yoshimelee::younglinkmelee::linkmelee::gawmelee:

D (p-bad @ being p-gud)
:zeldamelee::roymelee::mewtwomelee:
F (I thought garbage day was Tuesday)
:pichumelee::nessmelee::bowsermelee:
K (Kirby)
:kirbymelee:

Please don't murder me for putting Doc above C tier

Sir Tundra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Righteous
3DS FC
2938-7133-5824
I largely agree with M2K's tier list
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/516492-super-smash-bros-melee/45227470
But my (new) tier list has some modifications.
S+ (YOURETHEBEST...AROOOOUND!NOTHINSGUNNAGETYADOWN)
:foxmelee::marthmelee::falcomelee::sheikmelee:
S (ur p-gud @ being p-gud)
:falconmelee::peachmelee::jigglypuffmelee::icsmelee::drmario: (#DocForSTier)
A (The characters that are good, but not good, ya feel me?)
:pikachumelee::dkmelee::mariomelee::luigimelee::samusmelee::ganondorfmelee:
B (You gotsta be Amsa to win the big money, the dough, the caaaaaaaash)
:yoshimelee::younglinkmelee::linkmelee::gawmelee:

D (p-bad @ being p-gud)
:zeldamelee::roymelee::mewtwomelee:
F (I thought garbage day was Tuesday)
:pichumelee::nessmelee::bowsermelee:
K (Kirby)
:kirbymelee:

Please don't murder me for putting Doc above C tier
Dude you do realize that this tier list from mew2king that your linking was like made 7 years ago. I'm pretty sure mew2kings opinion's about characters placements would've changed alot since then. especially with Dk's placement I mean DK a character with a huge ass hurtbox being with the likes of Pikachu, samus, and luigi? Lmao! No. not in a million years would that ever happen.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
^ BTW If you are wondering, Mew2King's most recent tier list looks like this:

1. :falcomelee:
2. :foxmelee:
3. :jigglypuffmelee:
4. :sheikmelee:
5. :marthmelee:

6. :peachmelee:
7. :icsmelee:
8. :falconmelee:
9. :drmario:
10. :pikachumelee:
11. :luigimelee:
12. :samusmelee:
13. :mariomelee:
14. :ganondorfmelee:

15. :dkmelee:
16. :yoshimelee:
17. :younglinkmelee:
18. :linkmelee:
19. :pichumelee:
20. :mewtwomelee:
21. :roymelee:
22. :gawmelee:
23. :bowsermelee:
24. :nessmelee:

25. :zeldamelee:
26. :kirbymelee:

Here are the links if you want to see explanation as to why M2K placed characters where they are:
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/...iscusses-his-super-smash-bros-tier-list-pt-1/

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/...w2kings-super-smash-bros-melee-tier-list-pt2/

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/...w2kings-top-5-super-smash-bros-tier-list-pt3/

His list was released in May of 2014

Last edited:

Link24a

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Link24b
3DS FC
1418-6839-5991
^ BTW If you are wondering, Mew2King's most recent tier list looks like this:

1. :falcomelee:
2. :foxmelee:
3. :jigglypuffmelee:
4. :sheikmelee:
5. :marthmelee:

6. :peachmelee:
7. :icsmelee:
8. :falconmelee:
9. :drmario:
10. :pikachumelee:
11. :luigimelee:
12. :samusmelee:
13. :mariomelee:
14. :ganondorfmelee:

15. :dkmelee:
16. :yoshimelee:
17. :younglinkmelee:
18. :linkmelee:
19. :pichumelee:
20. :mewtwomelee:
21. :roymelee:
22. :gawmelee:
23. :bowsermelee:
24. :nessmelee:

25. :zeldamelee:
26. :kirbymelee:

Here are the links if you want to see explanation as to why M2K placed characters where they are:
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/...iscusses-his-super-smash-bros-tier-list-pt-1/

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/...w2kings-super-smash-bros-melee-tier-list-pt2/

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/...w2kings-top-5-super-smash-bros-tier-list-pt3/

His list was released in May of 2014
That's still old

His most recent list which he said on stream earlier this year:
Fox/Falco (god)
Marth/puff
Sheik
Peach
IC
Pika
Irrelevant

Edit: huh that's almost just like mine...

Last edited:

MarthZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NESman1995
S tier
1. Fox
2. Falco
3. Shiek
4. Jigglypuff
5. Marth
6. Peach
7. Ice Climbers
8. Captain Falcon
A Tier
9. Pikachu
10. Samus
11. Dr. Mario
12. Ganondorf
13. Luigi
14. Young Link
B Tier
15. Mario
16. Link
17. Yoshi
18. Donkey Kong
19. Roy
20. Mewtwo
21. Mr. Game & Watch
22. Pichu
F tier
23. Ness
24. Zelda
25. Bowser
26. Kirby

That's my votes, if you have any questions about which character where, PM me!
jigs above marth and shiek above marth yeah...no and why is young link so high

MarthZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NESman1995
Please note that my tier list is based on what I have perceived in the past 2 years in terms of results and consistency. I do take character ability into consideration but my tier list is primarily based on what has been done and the capabilities of the characters already being shown in the past two years.

S-Tier: Characters with the absolute ability to win a national

1: Fox :foxmelee: - Definitive best character due to his excessively good moves and his overwhelming representation in the current meta. His shine is his definitive best most because of its many uses including using to combo (i.e: waveshining) and gimp. Really flexible recovery methods as well as deadly combo ability. Only character in the game that can hit an opponent while recovering and kill off of it. When the character is pushed to its limits he becomes a menace to deal with.
2: Marth :marthmelee: - We've seen numerous examples of Marth succeeding well in this meta moreso than the characters below him. With stellar performances by PPMD, PPU, and other top Marths, being able to handle Fox and Falco extremely well, and deadly punish games and amazingly flexible movement. He could use more representation but from what I've seen from really good Marths is a lot of consistency, and that's ultimately what matters.
3: Falco :falcomelee: - With PPMD playing his Marth more recently than his Falco, and players like Westballz and Zhu struggling to be consistent in the current meta, it's hard for me to place Falco any higher. Mango is definitely the saving grace of this character as he shows he can consistently do very well vs Fox, putting him at #3.
4: Sheik :sheikmelee:- Until recently, Sheik wasn't represented too well and it seemed she was dying off, but now we have some recent and new changes from the Sheik meta, but they are not enough. I believe that Sheik could very well rise above Falco if there are more Sheiks that continue to push the character's meta into the future, but as for right now this is where I feel she belongs.

A Tier: Extremely solid characters that are on the cusp of winning a national

5: Peach :peachmelee: - I'm putting Peach above Puff on my tier list simply because the players who have represented her have a much better time beating Foxes than Puff does. Because Peach has a better time vs Fox (as Evidenced by Armada still being able to keep toe-to-toe with Mango) and Puff has a harder time vs Fox (Hungrybox is often losing to Foxes that are ranked below him on MIOM top 100, as well as losing many games to other significantly lower-level Foxes). Peach and Puff do have one thing in common though and that is they deal with all of the other top tier characters very well. I am starting to see more Marths do well vs Peach but it is a very uphil battle for the Marth usually.
6: Jigglypuff :jigglypuffmelee: - Extremely solid character with amazing recovery ability and punish game. If it weren't for Fox having such a solid matchup on this character, she would probably be higher.
7: Captain Falcon :falconmelee: - This character hasn't changed too much in the past 2 years. The arguable best Falcon in the world left the character for Fox back in late 2013, though there are numerous efforts to make this character to be more developed in the current meta (i.e: 20GX). Falcon is staying where he is because there hasn't been a breakthrough performance from a Falcon or numerous Falcons yet. He still does very solidly but there hasn't been anything outstanding from what I've seen. He is likely to be more developed and possibly higher in the future, hell even as high as above Peach if there can be consistent results to back it up.

B Tier: Solid mid-tier characters that tend to do very well at nationals, but not necessarily win them

8: Ice Climbers :icsmelee: - This character has really solid representation in the meta and with wobbling being a huge threat to many of the higher tiered characters, I thoroughly believe that ICs should be here on the tier list. Wobbles' performance at EVO 2013 was extremely stellar for the character, even if Wobbles himself has dropped off a bit from that performance. There are still many other ICs like Fly Amanita, Nintendude, DizzKidBoogie, etc. that do very well at almost any tournament they go to. ICs are not higher on the list because even though they do really well vs certain top tiers, they also do pretty badly vs Peach, Puff, Falcon (to a degree), and even Ganondorf. Because of the strength and weaknesses of the character colliding like this, I see the number 8 spot as a right place for this character.
9: Samus :samusmelee: - This was a tough one. I had to think about choosing between Samus and Pikachu for this spot and I think Samus just barely comes out on top for a few good reasons: For starters, the players that represent her in the current meta are still loyal to her (the only exception being Plup). Both Hugs and Duck and other Samus mains have had really consistent results and have shown what the character has got. Samus' remarkably and arguable even matchup vs Fox surely shows with results against Leffen and other top Foxes. She's an extremely solid and unique character that with her heavy weight and amazing recovery make her awfully difficult to kill, yet she lacks a lot in the neutral, and the player playing as her has to be really smart about the decisions that they make.
10: Pikachu :pikachumelee:- Axe has absolutely shown that Pikachu is rather viable in this current meta. With rather consistent and outstanding performances like EVO 2014 and MLG 2014, he has done a lot to show the true potential of the character. However, the reasons I put Pikachu below Samus is because that there really isn't much representation besides Axe at the top level. And even Axe doesn't just purely main Pikachu anymore, often picking out his secondaries for his other matchups that he struggles with. This is one of those decisions that was made between this character and Samus purely on how well represented the character is in the current meta, because both have shown to do really well, honestly. If there was at least one more Pikachu that was Axe's level, then there would be a good chance that Pikachu could be above Samus next time.
11: Yoshi :yoshimelee: - This one should be the most obvious and the biggest leap in the tier list. We've seen in the past two years just what this character can really do thanks to aMSa. With a 9th place finish at APEX 2014, and a stellar 5th place finish at APEX 2015, as well as numerous other incredibly high placings, there is no doubt in my mind that this is where Yoshi should be on the tier list. He has had some rough results in Japan though, and many people speculate that Yoshi simply hasn't been figured out yet in the US, but in Japan they know better. But that is only speculation and it hasn't really shown through yet in the past two years. Yoshi has an amazing punish game, his double-jump armor is extremely useful and well utilized, and he has numerous tricks up his sleeve that he could pull out at any minute. I'd really like to see this character get better representation in the future, as it is clear that this character can go to great lengths and tango with the best. Yoshi isn't higher up mostly because of his representation and the fact that people truly don't know the matchup that well. Will he go down the tier list in the future? Or will he continue to go up? That will be something interesting to see for sure.

C+ Tier: Slightly better than C Tier. Capable of performing very well at nationals and winning regional tournaments

12: Luigi :luigimelee: - This is where things start to get hairy and become a bit more subjective, so apologies if this opinion of mine is not one you agree with. Luigi has a relatively good representation at a high level, with players like Eddy Mexico, Abate, Vudujin, Blea Gelo etc. showing that this character can still perform rather well, even at nationals. Eddy Mexico's performance at the SSS that he won should definitely not be overlooked, but it is also not the complete basis for placing this character here. Luigi at times seems like he just falls short of really breaking into top 8 at a lot of major tournaments. I feel like with more development and better representation he can get to B tier easily.
13: Dr. Mario :drmario:- This isn't a good day for the Doc. He's dropped a bunch mostly because of Shroomed switching his main to Sheik. Without Shroomed, Doc is so under-represented in the current meta that it's not even funny. There isn't another Doc out there that has come even close to what Shroomed has done, and now that that's gone, it's looking grim for the Doctor. He's a good character for sure, it's just his representation has dramatically increased, putting him below Luigi. I know that there are some aspiring Doc mains out there but none of them are high level as of yet. This character can still do it pretty well, we just need more people to play as him (Personally I find him to be really fun, almost considering maining him in the future in hopes of representing him better.)

C Tier: Characters that just barely aren't going to make it very far at a national level. Though they can perform fairly well, there are just some matchups that are nigh impossible for them to overcome

14: Ganondorf :ganondorfmelee: - This character is bad, let that not be any misconception. Although in my opinion a very good character to learn fundamentals with, Ganondorf is just not going to succeed in this meta all on his own. Ganondorf has some amazing representation and dedication to him, but even the top Ganondorfs have shown to be rather inconsistent at times. Bizzarro Flame has certainly gotten better and more noted, and Kage continues to be a solid player, but neither of these players have had any spectacular results in the last two years. They have certainly taken sets off of some really notable players, but eventually the Triforce of Power's energy comes to a halt later on in a bracket, with even Kage bringing out his secondary Falcon for certain stages. A common phrase I hear when people talk about Ganon is that everything that is to discover about him has already been discovered. While that might be true in theory, there is still a lot more that the current top Ganons could be doing to advance this character. Linguini was definitely on par with this kind of development, but he retired before it really be seen as the character's ability. Ganon's got some nice tools to use and he hits really hard, but his god-awful recovery, falling speed, slow moves, and slow running speed really hold him back, and it's really hard to see him get any better.
15: Link :linkmelee: - Link has a lot of tools that he has at his disposal that make him a really unique and often difficult character to deal with if you don't know how to fight him. He's definitely the much better represented of the two Links in this current meta, and even has the ability to perform well in certain high tier matchups like Marth, Peach, Puff, and possibly others. He's got a really good recovery, being flexible and more often that not very hard to deal with or overcome or outspace. He's slow, but his projectiles are often his saving grace. H'es a very unique character that has to put in a lot of hard work in order to succeed, and we've seen certain cases of Link beating some notable players, but definitely not really any high placing at nationals. He often really falls short there.
16: Mario :mariomelee: - Although much better represented than his PhD counterpart, he still falls short of his ability as a character, rather than his representation. He does have a better recovery than Doc though, but his killing ability is a huge setback for him. I honestly don't know whether to put Mario above Link or not, but because I'm basing this off of what has happened, I think Mario goes below. As far as I'm concerned, there are solid Mario players out there, but they haven't taken too many sets off of really notable players. Again, this is really subjective and I'm still not super sure, so if you want to debate this placement with me I can understand fully.
17: Donkey Kong :dkmelee: - I've seen a few of the top DK mains have some notable success vs high level players. He's got long hitboxes, a great combo game on spacies and even other characters, a tricky recovery, and some other gimmicks that he has at his disposal. You're definitely going to have to keep on your toes vs a really solid DK player, but sadly many of DK's defensive options are poor, as well as having numerous moves that are very slow to come out. He's a rather fun character that can catch you off guard if you underestimate him.
18: Young Link :younglinkmelee: - This character's placement has been controversial in the past because of what people believe is his ability as a character. Armada definitely made him look rather viable with his runs vs Hungrybox, but as of last year that is no longer the case, as Young Link has out-stayed his welcome. Sadly, this character also suffers from being very under-represented much like Dr. Mario, and his tier list placement suffers as a result. Yes, he is faster and has better projectiles than his older counterpart, but what he really lacks in is killing power, and the days of bomb to dair combos being deadly are likely to be no more, or at least until someone really gives this character a go again. Yes, I do believe the character itself has a lot of potential, it's just no one is maining him right now (Axe uses him from time to time but I'm not sure about YL development in general. Feel free to enlighten me if you know more).

D Tier: These characters are relatively bad but have some redeeming qualities or gimmicks about them that can make them hard to deal with. Very hard to win a regional, if not impossible.

19: Mr. Game & Watch :gawmelee: - This character is at the top of this tier simply because of his representation and his rather decent offensive ability. Notorious for having the worst shield in the game, G&W has some redemption when it comes to his combo ability and disjointed hitboxes. He's also got a heck of a recovery, allowing him to go far off stage and still make it back. His biggest weaknesses are his light weight and falling speed, as well as his horrendous shield, not to mention that certain aerials of his cannot be l-canceled. It's cool that there are players like Qerb who try to keep this character alive and find some success with him. And because of that, I'm putting him at #19.
20: Zelda :zeldamelee:- She has some decent representation, but not enough activity in my opinion to warrant her above G&W. If Cosmo would still enter Melee tournaments regularly with this character then I would have reconsidered, but that isn't really the case at the moment. There have been some tricky things that Zelda has done over the past but nothing too extraordinary. She's a real defensive character with a deadly fair and bair, which is sadly her only real redeeming quality. Her terrible recovery makes it really easy to edgeguard her, not to mention that she is light and dies easily. She has really poor defensive options aside from spacing her moves right. She's got a lot of gimmicks that can definitely catch you off guard, and a smart Zelda player can make you afraid of her bair/fair, but unfortunately she just isn't really going to do very well, and I don't see her getting much better either.
21: Pichu :pichumelee: - It's almost a meme when you think of how many times you hear people say that Pichu should be higher on the tier list, it's about time that I put that into consideration. Pichu admittedly is pretty bad but I don't believe he is god awful. His biggest weaknesses are that he hurts himself when he uses certain moves and that he's one of the lightest characters in the game, often dying at ungodly low percents. But people often forget that Pichu is basically the worse-off little brother of of Pikachu, and has some tools to do at least somewhat decently. Pichu is fast and actually has some decent aerials. He has a terrible tech roll, but his small size at times makes him hard to hit. Pichu can definitely get away with causing damage to himself if you use the right moves. I'm not a huge advocate for this character but I do feel like people give this character very little credit. Less credit than what is due.
22: Mewtwo :mewtwomelee: - This character isn't really too bad. At first I was going to put him in F Tier, but then I thought for a minute about some of his redeeming qualities. He actually has some decent range on his attacks. He has an excellent recovery. He has a few powerful moves, albeit slow, and his movement is pretty decent as well. Sure he dies relatively early cause of his light weight, but I don't really see too much wrong with him. If there could be another Mewtwo like Taj then that would probably move him up by a significant margin, but that is not the case right now. I don't know too much about this character but it seems like to me that he isn't too bad. Oh wait. His tech animations are horrendous. He has hurtboxes on his freaking tail. Hmmmm. A hard one to call. Would like to see more exploration or representation of this character.
23: Bowser :bowsermelee: - This character has some neat tools and gimmicks that can keep him afloat, but he won't be lasting long. Bowser's Up-B out of shield is honestly one of his saving graces that make people think twice about attacking his shield. Sure, he is very slow and a huge target to hit, but a good Bowser player can have some pretty interesting tricks up their sleeve, and not to mention that Bowser is really heavy and can take a long time to die. He's got some combos here and there and his recovery isn't too bad, but again he's very gimmicky and isn't really going to get very far.

F Tier: These characters are completely trash. There is almost no hope for these characters in this meta and it is probably best that you play someone else

24: Ness :nessmelee: - Poor guy. Terrible range. Arguably worst recovery in the game. Has only so few redeeming qualities. Ness is a weird character in which people claim that he really isn't as bad as he is, yet I'm having a hard time seeing it to be honest. He does have some cool Yo-Yo Glitch tricks that can potentially advance him as a character, but I haven't really seen these developments but put into application just yet. Ness should definitely go up if someone can really apply all the technology that has been found by him over the years.
25: Roy :roymelee: - God awful character. Truly one of the worst. He is pretty much the polar opposite of his Fire Emblem comrade, having his strong hits be at the center of his sword. He might as well be using a dagger for crying out loud. Wet Noodle is damn right, Roy hardly has hitstun on a lot of his aerials and he only manages to get a few hits at times. His weight is okay but his falling speed makes his aerial mobility off-stage pretty much non-existent. Sure, his recovery can be angled a bit better but it's still pretty damn bad. He's got some strong hits and whatnot but he's so susceptible to CC it's not even funny. Roy can definitely mess up some low level players but you're generally not gonna find many people even of mid-level losing to a Roy, that is unless it's Sethlon. Hell, even Sethlon doesn't want to give this character one final go for EVO this year anymore because he just doesn't enjoy him in any capacity. I don't know where people get off saying that Roy has untapped potential because I'm pretty sure Sethlon, Neo, and maybe some other Roys really gave it their best shot. I don't know. Maybe Roy has some small things that help him, like his counter maybe? Please enlighten me if there's something I'm forgetting here.
26: Kirby :kirbymelee: - This should be obvious. All around terrible character with virtually no redeemable qualities. He has some dumb suicide gimmicks that will only work on complete numbskulls. He has some other gimmicks but they just aren't enough to get him even remotely going anywhere. Bair is really his only good move. What more do I need to say?
roy should be higher i mean bowser is worse then roy atleast roy has kill moves that are fast enough and has good combos I think he should be above game and watch

Link24a

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Link24b
3DS FC
1418-6839-5991
jigs above marth and shiek above marth yeah...no and why is young link so high
Young link only seems about a placement or two over where he should be...
roy should be higher i mean bowser is worse then roy atleast roy has kill moves that are fast enough and has good combos I think he should be above game and watch
G&W at least has some form of approach and can kill better. I say they're just about as good but g&w is just slightly better

Last edited:

Woohoo982

Smash Apprentice
A Tier list
S Tier(These dudes can win you a national)
1: Sheik :sheikmelee:
2: Falco :falcomelee:
3: Fox :foxmelee:
4: Jigglypuff :jigglypuffmelee:
5: Marth :marthmelee:

A Tier(They could win a national, just need skill.)
6: Peach :peachmelee:
7: Captain Falcon :falconmelee:
8: Ice Climbers :icsmelee:
9: Pikachu :pikachumelee:

B Tier(Can perform at nationals, slim chances of winning one though)
10: Yoshi :yoshimelee:
11: Samus :samusmelee:
12: Dr. Mario :drmario:
13: Luigi :luigimelee:

C Tier(Can perform at nationals, can win regionals easy)
14: Ganondorf :ganondorfmelee:
15: Mario :mariomelee:
16: Young Link :younglinkmelee:

D Tier(Can win regionals with a bit of skill)
17: Link :linkmelee:
18: Mr. Game and Watch:gawmelee:
19: DK :dkmelee:
20: Roy :roymelee:
21: Kirby :kirbymelee:

F Tier(plz stop existing..)
22: Mewtwo:mewtwomelee:
23: Bowser :bowsermelee:
24: Ness :nessmelee:
25: Pichu :pichumelee:
26: Zelda:zeldamelee:

Wreckarooni

Smash Apprentice
WooHoo that is literally like the 4th time you have spammed your tier list.

We saw i the first 3 times. plz....stahp.

Grass

Smash Lord
I actually can't think of any reason in the world why Falcon would be top 5.
You know, ironically, I spent most of the mid 2000s watching melee and ppl like M2K and Jeff. I never did understand why people thought so highly of falcon to begin with.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Ok, good news and bad news.

Good news: there were over 1000 votes in one month and in the first 24 hours alone there were over 500 votes! This completely exceeded my expectations, I am blown away by how popular this was!

Bad news: almost no top players voted. I haven't compiled statistics yet, but it seems only 1-2 MIOM top 100 players voted. Out of the Smashboards top 200, I estimate less than 10. This seriously threatens the validity of the resulting list.

There are a few options. One, pester top players to submit a tier list vote to me (despite deadline being past). Two, use the data already provided but alter the acceptance criteria for the high level list. Three, abandon having a high level list and output a single community list. Four, abandon the project entirely.

I am leaning towards option two, as I don't feel like pestering players who had plenty of notice (I assume they weren't interested, harassing them wont change their mind). The main problem with changing the criteria is acceptance becomes highly arbitrary and dependent on my own biases. Option four is preferable to option three in my opinion, or at least equally bad. I would be willing to accept votes from players for the next month or so, but eventually it must end and the votes tallied.

Wreckarooni

Smash Apprentice
Ok, good news and bad news.

Good news: there were over 1000 votes in one month and in the first 24 hours alone there were over 500 votes! This completely exceeded my expectations, I am blown away by how popular this was!

Bad news: almost no top players voted. I haven't compiled statistics yet, but it seems only 1-2 MIOM top 100 players voted. Out of the Smashboards top 200, I estimate less than 10. This seriously threatens the validity of the resulting list.

There are a few options. One, pester top players to submit a tier list vote to me (despite deadline being past). Two, use the data already provided but alter the acceptance criteria for the high level list. Three, abandon having a high level list and output a single community list. Four, abandon the project entirely.

I am leaning towards option two, as I don't feel like pestering players who had plenty of notice (I assume they weren't interested, harassing them wont change their mind). The main problem with changing the criteria is acceptance becomes highly arbitrary and dependent on my own biases. Option four is preferable to option three in my opinion, or at least equally bad. I would be willing to accept votes from players for the next month or so, but eventually it must end and the votes tallied.
Yea honestly I don't think there is much interest in a new tier list because it doesn't feel like there is even a need for one. Aside from Yoshi and Luigi I don't know what significant changes there would actually be.

I'll save you the effort Sveet just take my tier list as the official 2015 Tier List ;) muhauhaha

1. Fox
2. Marth
3. Falco
4. Peach
5. Jigglypuff
6. Sheik
7. Captain Falcon
8. Ice Climbers

9. Pikachu
10. Samus
11. Luigi
12. Dr. Mario
13. Yoshi
14. Ganondorf

15. Young Link
16. Link
17. Mario
18. Donkey Kong
19. Mr. Game & Watch
20. Roy
21. Kirby
22. Zelda

23. Ness
24. Mewtwo
25. Bowser
26. Pichu

SPoitter

Interior Crocodile Aligator
Here's my tier list?

S tier:
Fox
Falco
Jigglypuff
Marth
Sheik

A tier:
Peach
ICE CLIMBURS.
Captain Falcon
Dr.Mario
----------------------
MOSTLY VIABLE -
Pikachu

B tier:
Ganondorf
Samus
Luigi

B- tier: ( Not exactly B tier but not C tier either.)
Mario

C tier:
Link
Young Link
----------------------
SEMI VIABLE -
Donkey Kong
Yoshi
Mr Game & Watch
Ness

D tier:
Zelda
Pichu
----------------------
NOT VIABLE -
Bowser
Kirby
Roy ( Is not our boy, he is the worst character in the game.)

the non viables actually are viable, i just have a poor vocabulary, what i'm trying to say is that these characters don't have a certain possibility of winning anything outside of a low tier tourney or weekly, simply because they're so hard to use. Just like my penis. So I use this mostly as a skill chart.

Last edited:

Link24a

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Link24b
3DS FC
1418-6839-5991
Here's my tier list?

S tier:
Fox
Falco
Jigglypuff
Marth
Sheik

A tier:
Peach
ICE CLIMBURS.
Captain Falcon
Dr.Mario
----------------------
MOSTLY VIABLE -
Pikachu

B tier:
Ganondorf
Samus
Luigi

B- tier: ( Not exactly B tier but not C tier either.)
Mario

C tier:
Link
Young Link
----------------------
SEMI VIABLE -
Donkey Kong
Yoshi
Mr Game & Watch

D tier:
Ness
Zelda
Pichu
Bowser
Kirby
Roy ( Is not our boy, he is the worst character in the game.)
Lol roy has the spacies chaingrab, great grabs and throws all around, goat(?) Dtilt, below average recovery, pretty great dash dance, and passable wavedash. The things copy/pasted (or just tweaked) from Marth are too much to make him the worst

SPoitter

Interior Crocodile Aligator
Lol roy has the spacies chaingrab, great grabs and throws all around, goat(?) Dtilt, below average recovery, pretty great dash dance, and passable wavedash. The things copy/pasted (or just tweaked) from Marth are too much to make him the worst
I honesty don't think that's enough to make him not bottom tier, but I guess my bottom tier can be read in any order. I'm not really sure, I don't really watch Roy, he has no neutral outside of waiting until people get hit by his d tilt. Or he can go for a grab!, his grab game is like this

it hurts to get thrown by Roy as Fox I tell ya.

Top Bottom