• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2008-2009 School Year Discussion

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
It seems like I'm the only person who's in college but still hates school. It's my third year this year, and it has gotten no better than it was in my first. I definitely picked the wrong place. I like that it's highly ranked with academics, but I don't fit the social scene whatsoever.
Well, see that might be a serious problem! What are you studying? And if you dislike it so much... can you really see yourself pursuing a career in it without hating life every day? Or is it just the "social scene" that makes you dislike the school, and not your area of study?

NeBz

Smash Journeyman
This thread Depresses me. Another year of everyone laughing and making fun of me. Yahoo. >_>
Another year of reminding myself how much an unsocial loser I am.

And to top that off. My Parents told me I'm not allowed to use the computer and play VideoGames except for the weekends. It's studying studying studying.

Atleast I have these 2 friends to hang out with, it's not completely bad.

JLynn943

Smash Ace
Well, see that might be a serious problem! What are you studying? And if you dislike it so much... can you really see yourself pursuing a career in it without hating life every day? Or is it just the "social scene" that makes you dislike the school, and not your area of study?
I entered as a Mechanical Engineering major, but I hated that, so I switched to Industrial Engineering with a minor in Economics. I don't know about the whole career thing. I mean, of all the engineering majors (which I'm pretty much committed to at this point), it's the one I find most interesting. It's hard to know for sure because I've really only had one class so far that really got into what IEs do. I've been stuck taking misc. sciences, HSS credits, and other classes not really in my major.

My main problem is that I'm not really incredibly interested in anything in particular. I've switched what I've wanted too many times, just to decide I didn't really want it after all. I could easily end up hating my job after college, but to be honest, I wouldn't know what to switch to that would make me happy.

As for the student body though, it's very homogenous. Lots of spoiled rich kids, driving around in Audis and BMWs, more concerned with Greek life and drinking than anything else. I'm not really used to that, plus I don't drink, so I find it hard to connect with many people. I've met a few really cool people, but I find myself more in my room on my computer than hanging out with anyone.

XACE-K

Smash Master
I'll be starting my first year of high school when September and I already have a feeling I want like it.

To enter this school, you have to take a test. If you pass, you get accepted. I didn't want to go so I thought about failing on purpose. A day before the test, my dad says that if I fail the test, I would be grounded (I'm not kidding, he actually said this).

Also, the only language the school has is Russian. I heard that they might get a Japanese language class but for my freshman year, it's not happening.

A positive from going to this school is that I know some of my friends are going to it.

Peeze

Smash Master
I'll be starting my first year of high school when September and I already have a feeling I want like it.

To enter this school, you have to take a test. If you pass, you get accepted. I didn't want to go so I thought about failing on purpose. A day before the test, my dad says that if I fail the test, I would be grounded (I'm not kidding, he actually said this).

Also, the only language the school has is Russian. I heard that they might get a Japanese language class but for my freshman year, it's not happening.

A positive from going to this school is that I know some of my friends are going to it.
Hey look on the bright side.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
It seems like I'm the only person who's in college but still hates school. It's my third year this year, and it has gotten no better than it was in my first. I definitely picked the wrong place. I like that it's highly ranked with academics, but I don't fit the social scene whatsoever.
may I ask which college your going to?

anyway, I am not so nervous when it comes to social interaction, especially with hot girls, whom in the past, well... more specifically when I was a freshman in High School I couldn't even look at one straight in the face without getting the jitters, but eventually arounds my Junior year, I stood up to this and actually had my first date which gave me a whole new perspective of confidence on how I talk to girls.

Goldberg

Smash Apprentice
Well, school started last week for me and this second year of college seems like it's going to be a lot of fun, this "tetramester" I'm taking Algorithms and Data Structures, Systems Programming, Discrete Mathematics and Integral Calculus.

I think I can get my Algorithms professor to play SSB.

JLynn943

Smash Ace
may I ask which college your going to?

anyway, I am not so nervous when it comes to social interaction, especially with hot girls, whom in the past, well... more specifically when I was a freshman in High School I couldn't even look at one straight in the face without getting the jitters, but eventually arounds my Junior year, I stood up to this and actually had my first date which gave me a whole new perspective of confidence on how I talk to girls.
haha, yeah, I go to Lehigh University. Most people love it there, I'm just an exception I guess

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
I'd probably like school better if they didn't try to do everything in their power to make me not like it. For example:

Our marking system here is from 1-7. 1 is the top mark, almost 100%, there's no better grade than that, and 7 is if you failed completely.

My English teacher constantly said I was going to fail and not complete my folio, and said that she was going to move me down a class when I didn't. My motivation was to get my folio completed so I could get moved up a class, so I spent 6 hours (from 9pm to 3am) writing a 5 and a half page essay. I completed my folio with 5 different essays in it. I handed it in 2 weeks early, and I wasn't even the last one finished. And I got 3 for it! (You needed a 4 to be moved up a class).

I got moved down a class. I was the only person in our whole class who got moved down. There were even people with 4's being moved up.

So basically, if I had done absolutely nothing for that entire year, I would've gotten into the same class. They shouldn't be allowed to do that, that shouldn't even be legal.

So that, and loads of other reasons, is why I absolutely hate school. I have no idea how anyone could like that horrible, horrible place.

~rh

Smash Lord
My first day was yesterday.

I actually like all my teachers with the exception of one. It'll make my goal of achieving a 4.25 all year much more easier, that's for sure.

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
Two days of school, done.

It wasn't as bad as I thought, but school still sucks.

I only really like one teacher, though.

The Fail Tracer

The Universal Cosmic Tracer
3DS FC
2337-5641-4371
I had my first day of school yesterday. It didn't seem as bad as I thought it was going to be, though it still sucks.

The first day was extremely boring, as we were going over all the rules over and over again. Today was much better because we actually did stuff.

I'm hoping for a much better school year this year. :)

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
I've enjoyed doing nothing during the whole holidays (other than meeting up with school friends), but that time has come to an end for another year. I'm starting my 3rd year of uni in a week. The first 4 weeks are just communications lectures/basic revision so I'm just looking forward to meeting friends again. I've made such a diverse set of friends at uni that it still surprises me sometimes lol. I am so glad I chose to study here.

So far I've loved the course and found it really interesting but. The workload is pretty forgiving too :) Attendance counts for very little, which has helped me through many 9am lectures so far. One day I'll change.

JLynn943: I can imagine it sucks if you don't enjoy the course :ohwell:. But making good friends would probably change your view of college a lot. There are always like-minded people at uni, you just need to find them! I'm saying this as someone who's pretty introverted and hates new social situations. It took me a couple of months before I truly settled into uni. You just have to put yourself out there. Try to get to know people you work with in group projects. Join a few clubs that you like the sound of. You can still be good friends with people who do drink, even if that's not your thing. One of my best friends at uni is teetotal and never comes out on nights out with me but I probably still talk to him the most out of everyone I know.

okiyama

Smash Ace
I go back tuesday, It's not that bad if it weren't for the fact that now I have to try since it's sophomore year and colleges care about my grades now.

Grandeza

Smash Master
I've actually wanted school to come back. Starts tuesday for me >.> It's going to be a tough year though. A couple months into the year I have to take the specialized high school test. I wanna try to get into Stuyvesaint but like 24,000 people apply and i think there's like 400 seats. I took a kaplan course, got a tutor and work 5 hours a day on this so if I don't pass it'll look like I'm a dumass. The results'll come around january so it comes with a long wait.[/rant]

XACE-K

Smash Master
I've actually wanted school to come back. Starts tuesday for me >.> It's going to be a tough year though. A couple months into the year I have to take the specialized high school test. I wanna try to get into Stuyvesaint but like 24,000 people apply and i think there's like 400 seats. I took a kaplan course, got a tutor and work 5 hours a day on this so if I don't pass it'll look like I'm a dumass. The results'll come around january so it comes with a long wait.[/rant]
I took that test too. I just went to an after school program my school had because my parents forced me to take the test. I wanted to go to Stuyvesant but you have to get over a 590 or something to get in. I got like a 520 and I'm going to S.I.Tech which my parents forced me to go to but whatever. / my rant.

Overload

Smash Lord
I wouldn't mind going back this year but I still have 50 hours of community service to do and my senior project to graduate. . . If it weren't for those things I would actually be kinda glad to go back.

Autydragoon

Smash Journeyman
In a circle with Fez, Hyde, Eric and Kelso
I know this sounds wierd but I want school to start. The reason is because I live so far away from my friends that during school is the only time I get to see them. Also it's getting pretty boring around here. School hasn't started here yet. It starts A week from today.

~rh

Smash Lord
My ****ing last two teachers are SO boring. I was getting cross eyed trying to stay awake, and the quiz I took was great.

It woke me up. Was the first time in a while where I was excited for a quiz. :)

The Fail Tracer

3DS FC
2337-5641-4371
School is actually much better for me this year mostly because my two least favorite peers got held back a year. I'm waiting for my friend to get here so we can party because those two losers finally got theirs.

And yeah, I hate it when I almost fall asleep in class.

K64

Smash Apprentice
School is a struggle. They make u do/perform/show the most pointless stuff.
Ex: The school newspaper did a review on GTA IV (irony) and they got key things mixed up.

Grandeza

Smash Master
I took that test too. I just went to an after school program my school had because my parents forced me to take the test. I wanted to go to Stuyvesant but you have to get over a 590 or something to get in. I got like a 520 and I'm going to S.I.Tech which my parents forced me to go to but whatever. / my rant.
oo then by my most recent test results I'll get into stuy. If I choke test day I'm positive *as arrogant as it sounds* that i'll make brooklyn tech

~rh

Smash Lord
I wouldn't mind going back this year but I still have 50 hours of community service to do and my senior project to graduate. . . If it weren't for those things I would actually be kinda glad to go back.
Aghhh~

reading this post made me remember that I have to get my hours done too. Thankfull they aren't as much as yours. I only have to do 38? i think.

But still.

Maybe I can get them done with this girl I like

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Man, just one more year (I'm in my senior year of high school) of dealing with this crap, then it's off to Eastern Michigan U for me.

Yay out of state colleges, gonna see places!

(And, it just occured to me, not only will I see great places, but Ann Arbor has alot of smash activity! Yay!

TWILTHERO

Smash Lord
School's kinda crappy for me. I'm not aloud to play Brawl or go online Smashboards as much cause my mom thinks it would "distract me." I've also been studying for High school and it sounds way too difficult for me. My head is going to explode. And its just Math i'm studying too. My year begins tuesday and i hope i somehow manage to pass.
My future depends on it.

The Fail Tracer

3DS FC
2337-5641-4371
I don't exactly see how you could like school. I mean, if you were extremely popular and always got all A's without a single problem, I guess I could see why, but the way I am, I would actually rather go to jail.

.:~*Momo*~:.

Smash Ace
My first day of school was today... it didn't suck as much as I thought it would, but to be fair I expected the absolute worst. In English apparently we were supposed to do summer reading, but the teacher never told us last year or sent anything home stating that we had to... I'm not the only one who didn't read either, so it's not like the teacher said so and I didn't hear. ._.; ...nyaa...

127crazie

Smash Journeyman
Towards the end of last year I started to climb the social ladder, but this year I'll have to start again :[. I'm kind of shy and I get mediocre, gradually worsening grades, so school isn't that great. The first day certainly wasn't.

Especially after last summer, which was my favorite ever, I really don't want to sit through the rest of the year.

Roihu

Smash Ace
I hate being a freshman.
Not only can I not buy the supplies, but we get homework every single day. And they actually expect us to do it. (Middle school, they just ignored you if you didn't)
I wanted school to start, but when it did, I was disapointed so much. My teachers are meh. Don't have a single guy teacher, though. =\

BlackFoxPariah

Smash Apprentice
Schedule is kinda fun maybe.

Cooking 1
Hon Algebra 2
Psychology
Studyhall/Physics Lab/Gym
CIHS Physics
American Literature Adv
Lunch
World History Adv
Adv topics in computing

It's fun so far. Not as many friends in my classes this year but I'm getting closer to people I wouldn't normally be able to.

It's all good.

XACE-K

Smash Master
I hate school. I didn't have a crappy first day but I want another week of vacation. I don't want to wake up at 6 in the morning to go to school.

~rh

Smash Lord
I hate being a freshman.
Not only can I not buy the supplies, but we get homework every single day. And they actually expect us to do it. (Middle school, they just ignored you if you didn't)
I wanted school to start, but when it did, I was disapointed so much. My teachers are meh. Don't have a single guy teacher, though. =\
Freshman year indeed did suck. The admins at my school treated the freshman like trash. They gave them the smallest lockers after everyone else got theirs this year, which I thought was pretty humorous. Luckily I'm an upperclassmen now. :laugh:

But still, it's messed up.

Good luck sir.

Top Bottom