• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2008-2009 School Year Discussion

Overload

Smash Lord
My first day as a senior today. Not too bad. I have a headache though. I only get headaches during the school year for some reason. During the summer I may have had one. But during school I get them more often it seems.

Eaode

Smash Champion
Starting Junior year of High school tomorrow. I really gotta start researching colleges. I wanna find one tat really suits my interests (and being near a great smash scene wouldn't hurt >:D)

~rh

Smash Lord
I get homework every single day as well. D:

Plus we have an A/B day schedule, so basically we have different 4 classes a day for 90 min. each. My freshman year they changed it up but for the past 3 after that we've been running on this ****.

D:

127crazie

Smash Journeyman
Adding on to what I said above...

I'm a Sophomore this ear, and unfortunately it feels exactly like freshman year. On the bus it felt like I'd only been gone for a short time, and the same in school. The only real difference is that I know less people in my classes and the teachers will give us harder work.

Personally, these days I'm just looking forward to getting the job I always wanted.. :/ Oh well, only 7+ more years, I guess.

.:~*Momo*~:.

Smash Ace
I also have the A/B schedule... tomorrow I'll get to see what my B day classes will be like.

Nyaa... it probably won't be much better than A days for me... if better at all. ._.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Pffft.. you guys think YOU'VE got it bad, dont EVER come down to Georgia, we started school AUGUST 11th.... W.T.FLYING.F

Oh well, now that I've been in school almost 4 weeks, things are starting to settle in. My school has the worst staff of ANY school though, we even downgraded from plastic sub-sandwhich containers to styrofoam...

STYROFOAM IS NOT BIO-DEGRADABLE! Thats so.... bad.. for... the...environment....ugh...

And, our school brought in 800 extra freshman last week... wtf... god dammit, I'm so glad this is my last year.....

Yinlong

Smash Journeyman
i'm going up to 10th, and school starts in two days -_-
i think i got crappy teachers. :(

school sucks.

.Marik

is a social misfit
I loathe school. What a fantastic way to waste 12 years of your life, eh?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Well, 13 if you started in Kindergarten. And yeah, I think I've learned alot more just reading dictionarys, encyclopedias, books, and stuff.

Sigh.

~rh

Smash Lord
^ If you're gonna be a ****in scientist. Which most of us aren't.

D:

Roihu

Smash Ace
When the hell are we ever gonna use Algebra or Geometry irl situations aside from being a scientist of sort or a carpenter (I don't think so, but maybe...).

Smash Ace
You know... one class I have was said to actually teach us skills we need. When a big deal was made about that, I thought "Why is this such a big deal? Shouldn't we already be learning stuff we actually NEED? -.-;"... nyaa, I think I spend more time on useless crap I definitely won't need than anything else. Working for the sake of working, that's just a waste of time. >_>;

D

Deleted member

For the most part, I dislike school as much as anyone else. This year, however, seems to be my best year at this school so far. Some of the highlights include being able to eat at lunch with friends, a girl I'm getting to know (Not a love interest, mind you), Foster not being a b*stard, and the girl I love knowing what Woodstock is. :)

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
who thinks summer reading is bull$hit i mean come on who would want to read in the summer

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
The class is Film/Literature Composition. We read books (No Country For Old Men, King Lear, Heart of Darkness, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, V for Vendetta, and Silence of the Lambs) and watch their films (NCFOM, Ran [Akira Kurosowa's adaptation of King Lear in a fuedal Japanese setting], Apocalypse Now [Francis Ford Coppola's adaptation of Heart of Darkness], Blade Runner [Ridley Scott's adaptation of Do Androids Dream on Electric Sheep], V for Vendetta [Hurrah! Now I can prove it sucks to my classmates and get course credit at the same time! :D], and the epic Silence of the Lambs). We just watched Citizen Kane to get an introduction into cinema, although I have seen it many times before.

Or if you were asking about what Citizen Kane is, it's a movie, and a good one at that.

who thinks summer reading is bull$hit i mean come on who would want to read in the summer
lol, what are you, still in middle school? Put down Brawl and pick up Twain or Lovecraft instead, you should grow out of "reading sux!!!" by at least the end of Freshman year.

Smash Ace
*raises hand* Nyaa! Summer reading is a bunch of BS! D:<

I still haven't read any of the books I was supposed to... I would have if I had known though. >.>

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
lol, what are you, still in middle school? Put down Brawl and pick up Twain or Lovecraft instead, you should grow out of "reading sux!!!" by at least the end of Freshman year.
I can see where he's coming from.

High school completely killed my desire to read for pleasure. It wasn't until college that I started to enjoy reading once again and began reading for fun again.

Roihu

Smash Ace
I can see where he's coming from.

High school completely killed my desire to read for pleasure. It wasn't until college that I started to enjoy reading once again and began reading for fun again.
High School will probably kill my desire too with all the projects and homework I'm getting....

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
High School taught me that reading is fun, AP Lit.

That's if your AP lit teacher isn't crazy.

I enjoy reading, but she seems to love exploiting MY desire to read something for myself rather than take alot of pointless notes over something I already realized during class discussions.

And she asked us to write mock college essays, and base our essays off of a prompt from one of our colleges of choice.

None of my colleges I've applied to (Even Eastern Michigan University) gave me an essay or a prompt during ALL of the application, and search results gave me NOTHING.

And thankfully, she isn't grading the essays (I just wrote mine on a distinguishing quality I have, which was something she said might come up, but of course, because I didn't have a prompt, she gave me a zero (and the guy next to me, and probably a couple others who couldn't find prompts) and said "I couldn't grade this, when are you going to start following directions?..."

I was like "Oh my god... what the ****, I wrote an amazing essay, and you're not going to LOOK at it?"

And if I go to her and say "Well, I couldn't actually FIND a pprompt, on the sites of colleges I WANTED to go to, she'll just say I'm making up excuses or something ridiculous.

Well, I suppose I can apply to some snobby college I don't actually want to go to to get the prompt, but how would that be AT ALL fulfilling, if the essay I write will be used for NOTHING?

I just don't understand.

On the plus side, we are reading Oedipus the King, and that's interesting, so eh.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Yeah, it depends on what books you have to read. Would Brit Lit II AP be any awesome we read something like Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities instead of Great Expectations? Also, we read A Clockwork Orange, and I must say, the novel surpasses the movie in everything but fame, although the movie is one of the best ever made.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
We never took notes in our class, aside from learning most literary devices. This was our normal routine. He assigns a book, we read it. While we read it at home(only one we read in class was Hamlet, and it's because it's his favorite book), we analyze some poems in class, he may give us a short write(250 words), medium write(500), or a long write topic(3-7 pages). Always completing them at home.

When the due date for the book came along, we'd take a test on it and spend a week discussing the book. To me, that was perfect. I sure miss that class. I learned a lot, he taught me how to appreciate literature very well.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
That's how my Film/Literature Comp class works, except we also have to watch the films on our own time too. Trying to fit in Apocalypse Now with studying Human Geography AP is going to be a pain, I can tell right now. Next semester is Screen Writing!

I took an easy math class called Discrete Math, focused more on logic and theory than actual formulas. It's so easy, it's boring as hell.

FangzV

Smash Journeyman
Aaaaah I only have a few more minutes left before I go to my first day of school. @_@ I don't wanna go baaack. This year will be even worse than last year D':

Oh well. At least now, I'll have something to do while none of my friends are online.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
Well, 13 if you started in Kindergarten. And yeah, I think I've learned alot more just reading dictionarys, encyclopedias, books, and stuff.

Sigh.
Agreed.

When the f*** am I going to use the pythagorean therium or e=mc^2?
Ah, it's good to see I'm not the only one.

I read 3 books this summer. I'm just half way through my 4th.

Once I'm finished it'll mean I've read like 12 books this year, or something like that.

cheap_josh

Smash Ace
I found it funny that one of my teachers hates freshmen more than the students. She'll go out of her way in sending freshmen in the wrong direction to get to class and will unzip their backpacks when they aren't looking.

looolololol

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Agreed.

You might want to work harder in those English classes.

English is probably the most important high school class in that everybody should know how to read and write.

XACE-K

Smash Master
You might want to work harder in those English classes.

English is probably the most important high school class in that everybody should know how to read and write.
Oh, I mispelled theorem (is it right this time?).

The last time I had spelling in English was in the 5th grade and yes, it is important. The only I do in English is read and write. It's boring but every once in a while there's a story that catches my attention and I like it but everything else, meh.

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
Week and a half through high school. It sucks.

I can talk to a few people that I've been mingling with, but other than that, nothing worthwhile.

Thank God it's Friday tomorrow.

~rh

Smash Lord
Agh... so much hw.

I hate to outline a whole chapter, e-mail my teacher some homework, finish a worksheet and study.

yet I'm here on SWF ... D:

Lavos

Smash Journeyman
Oh god, I'm fighting the urge to type up an essay about why math is more important and relevant to your lives than pretty much anything else no matter what you're going to do in life. Second in line was an essay explaining why you NEED those 12+ years of education in order to do anything worthwhile in the world.

Agreed.

When you stop working at McDonalds.

Seriously kids, this isn't the 40s. You can't just be a self made man anymore without an education. It doesn't work that way. And what's with people still thinking that "Scientists" are a real profession? What, do you still believe that engineers drive trains too?

Don't you have any curiosity as to how the world works? Don't you want to try and better it or change it in any way? If you plan on doing it with words, good luck. Unless your personal profile is beyond brilliant, no one's going to give you a passing glance without a degree, and no one GOOD will even give you the time of day without something from a respected university.

Oh no, it's happening. The essay it writing itself without my consent. I'm stopping now before I sound like I'm 60, but just know that some of you guys sound like you're still 10 from my prospective. I send a warning, you better learn to like school, because it's necessary to get anywhere in life.

Top Bottom