• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2008-2009 School Year Discussion

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Oh yeah, the film is phenomenal.

Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch is no doubt one of the greatest performances in American Cinema.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
Do you all get paid for going to school, or is it only over here where this happens?

Like for example, the school pays me £30 a week (which is about 50-60 dollars) for going to it, once I turned 16.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
At 16 you say you get paid? around Junior I assume, then by the time I would have graduated I would have been one rich man, I imagine no one over in Scotland likes to miss school then am I right..?

D

Deleted member

It's a sad thing that two of the most famous literary examples of racial tolerance in the U.S., even at the time, are banned because of using n*gger.
Click here!

I've had a copy of Huckleberry Fin in my bedroom since fifth grade. I had no idea until now it's banned.

Then again, we read The Slave Dancer that same year.:ohwell:

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
I'm not sure what year is Junior. Over here our High School goes from 1st-6th year. Some people turn 16 in 4th year, but seeing as though my birthday's in November, I didn't turn 16 until the first half of 5th year.

But depending on your household income, you'll get paid for going to school.

£0-£22,000 and you get £30

£22,000-£27,000 and you get £20

£27,000-£32,000 and you get £10

You also get a £150 bonus just before summer and around about christmas. The only catch is you have to be in school every day that week, if you miss a day, then you don't get paid for that week. Also, even though everyone's automatically put on the list for the bonus, your guidance teacher can take you off it if they think you don't deserve it.

It's called EMA (Education Maintenance Allowance).

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
lol.. w-h-a-t?, are you meaning to tell me that "To Kill a Mockingbird" is on a so called "banned list"? that must be the most absurd thing thing I ever heard, seriously, what is this society coming to that even using a slightest term that's refers to racism will get a book banned, that's just wack, sure that book may not be the best out there, but it sure isn't worth banning it just for using a afro racist word.
Actually it was banned due to the subplot of the proclaimed ******

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
Oh.. Guess what I get to do... I get to read To kill a mocking bird. It really boring actually but I heard it was on the banned book list so its like I'm reading rated x book
Nice. I get to read A Child Called "It". But I'm sure other people have read it here.

nakedsnake

Smash Journeyman
Now a days the banned list has less importance. Because schools and libraries don't have to use the list. I know for a fact my school does not use the list and the teachers seem to dislike censorship from the fact that when they're reading no words are omitted Actually I have no idea why you would want to ban a book its not like a movie or game where your actually see whats happening. And words only bad if you make then bad like for example hsit ( unscramble the letters) it just another word for crap but society makes it a bad word. Any ways it could be worse at least their is not a ratings board for books.

Omis

my friends were skinny
I'm not sure what year is Junior. Over here our High School goes from 1st-6th year. Some people turn 16 in 4th year, but seeing as though my birthday's in November, I didn't turn 16 until the first half of 5th year.

But depending on your household income, you'll get paid for going to school.

£0-£22,000 and you get £30

£22,000-£27,000 and you get £20

£27,000-£32,000 and you get £10

You also get a £150 bonus just before summer and around about christmas. The only catch is you have to be in school every day that week, if you miss a day, then you don't get paid for that week. Also, even though everyone's automatically put on the list for the bonus, your guidance teacher can take you off it if they think you don't deserve it.

It's called EMA (Education Maintenance Allowance).
Thats horrible. If people only come to school for money than something is wrong.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Now a days the banned list has less importance. Because schools and libraries don't have to use the list. I know for a fact my school does not use the list and the teachers seem to dislike censorship from the fact that when they're reading no words are omitted Actually I have no idea why you would want to ban a book its not like a movie or game where your actually see whats happening. And words only bad if you make then bad like for example hsit ( unscramble the letters) it just another word for crap but society makes it a bad word. Any ways it could be worse at least their is not a ratings board for books.
I read TKaMB. Another banned book I read was called 'Call of the Wild.' It was banned in like sometime after Darwin made his theory of evolution and the book had Buck, the main characters who's a dog, had dream about an ape man totally unrelated to the story.

When I read it, I was thinking it shouldn't be banned. But the dream was not necessary to the plot whatsoever. The author was basically saying 'LOL, I think I'm slick.' when in reality he just wasted pages. >_>

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I've learned that many times something seems out of place/unimportant to the plot, the more significance it has to the theme.

Never read that London, gotta pick it up.

Just finished my first book quiz. No Country For Old Men ***** me. Hard >_>

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
It's to help out the poorer kids and is also used to help give people motivation to stay on at school.
well, I hope so, it would be such a shame if the kids over there are just going to school just to go shopping at the mall without getting and learning some proper education.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
It's to help out the poorer kids and is also used to help give people motivation to stay on at school.
Yeah, we get that here in Student Loans and Work Grant, where working for the school (just Service Hours at School Events, not a full-blown job) relieves the cost of school for so much money an hour of service.

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.
I've learned that many times something seems out of place/unimportant to the plot, the more significance it has to the theme.

Never read that London, gotta pick it up.

Just finished my first book quiz. No Country For Old Men ***** me. Hard >_>
Watch the AWESOME movie and go to Wikipedia to find the scenes that were altered, then skip to that point in Spark Notes.

Then watch the AWESOME movie again.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Watch the AWESOME movie and go to Wikipedia to find the scenes that were altered, then skip to that point in Spark Notes.

Then watch the AWESOME movie again.
It was in Film-Literature Composition class, we are required to read the book and watch the film. There are no Spark Notes for ANY of the books in our class, with the exception of Shakespeare's King Lear.

The movie is really awesome, but almost changes the point of the novel. Both are great. Anton Chigurh is one of modern cinema's best villains.

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
i had a funny moment in school a few days ago

we were in the english common room doing an asssiment on the ira. My english teahcer came to me and said "why are you using wikipedia? its unrelible, use books and the sites i gave you" you then gave a 20 min speach on wikipedia and how it is very very bad for information.

he then told me to the read the book James Durney, The Volunteer: Uniforms, weapons and history of the Irish Republican Army .

then i noticed, that book was listed in the wikipedia refernces. so i told him that and he just said to me after a 10 sec silence, just don't use it. Then i asked him why "his" sites were better then wikipeida, he was speachless and told me to be quiet or i would get an arvo.

i seriously lol'd.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Speaking of Film-Comp and wikipedia, that teacher (one of my favorites) teaches American Literature, Digital Video Production, and Creative Writing and purposely edits Wikipedia just enough with wrong information. He says two years ago he added a changed important dates and other things on a paragraph to the entry on the overall page for the American Civil War, and it's still there (said this in 2005).

As long as there is a cite, cite the cite it's taken from, not Wiki.

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.
It was in Film-Literature Composition class, we are required to read the book and watch the film. There are no Spark Notes for ANY of the books in our class, with the exception of Shakespeare's King Lear.

The movie is really awesome, but almost changes the point of the novel. Both are great. Anton Chigurh is one of modern cinema's best villains.
Oh, that sucks, to an extent, yes, and most definitely, in that order.

Lavos

Smash Journeyman
To drag the conversation back a few posts, if a book is banned, there's a good chance it's awesome. For our Term papers in high school, our teacher presented us with a list of "banned books" to choose from. Usually the books are banned because they're not only controversial, but good, and thus popular.

I read The Catcher in the Rye. It's AMAZING. Honestly, one of the best books I've ever read. I don't think it's even on High School reading lists anymore.

So yeah... Banned books are awesome and everyone should read Catcher in the Rye.

nakedsnake

Smash Journeyman
To drag the conversation back a few posts, if a book is banned, there's a good chance it's awesome. For our Term papers in high school, our teacher presented us with a list of "banned books" to choose from. Usually the books are banned because they're not only controversial, but good, and thus popular.

I read The Catcher in the Rye. It's AMAZING. Honestly, one of the best books I've ever read. I don't think it's even on High School reading lists anymore.

So yeah... Banned books are awesome and everyone should read Catcher in the Rye.
Naughy words always make books more interesting

K64

Smash Apprentice
i had a funny moment in school a few days ago

we were in the english common room doing an asssiment on the ira. My english teahcer came to me and said "why are you using wikipedia? its unrelible, use books and the sites i gave you" you then gave a 20 min speach on wikipedia and how it is very very bad for information.

he then told me to the read the book James Durney, The Volunteer: Uniforms, weapons and history of the Irish Republican Army .

then i noticed, that book was listed in the wikipedia refernces. so i told him that and he just said to me after a 10 sec silence, just don't use it. Then i asked him why "his" sites were better then wikipeida, he was speachless and told me to be quiet or i would get an arvo.

i seriously lol'd.
Wikipedia is unreliable? Yea sure. What was your teacher thinking?

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
Strangely enough, my Physics class contains a lot of people that struggle with some aspects of basic algebra. Very odd, IL typically has an outstanding GPA per average student in our district. I'm just unlucky...

Oh, and there are few punk-like kids in my Soccer/Lacross (quarter class) period that know the fad "Do a barrel roll" and "Falcon Punch/Kick". Interesting...

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
Wikipedia is unreliable? Yea sure. What was your teacher thinking?
he was on crack

Speaking of Film-Comp and wikipedia, that teacher (one of my favorites) teaches American Literature, Digital Video Production, and Creative Writing and purposely edits Wikipedia just enough with wrong information. He says two years ago he added a changed important dates and other things on a paragraph to the entry on the overall page for the American Civil War, and it's still there (said this in 2005).

As long as there is a cite, cite the cite it's taken from, not Wiki.
no offence, but your teacher sounds like an idiot.

as a teacher isn't it his job to inform people about information not mis lead people? why would a teacher mis lead people on the subject that he should be teaching you about?

nakedsnake

Smash Journeyman
who else hates the school bus testing in Minnesota the laws all so ********
expecially when you have to get off the bus wait and then go back on the bus I personally think the bus driver going over everything would be good enough

Adi

Smash Lord
Eh I was kinda excited about going back to school for the week but at the end of the week I realized how much I hate it =(.

Mr.Bazerkus

Smash Journeyman
:(God this is so annoying I have so much homework to do this weekend

1. I have a review sheet to do for ap bio for a test tomorrow
2. I have a review sheet for my final ap bio
3. I have to review for my test tomorrow ap bio
4. I have to review for my final ap bio
5. I have a essay to write ap bio
6 A paper for English due Tues.
7. A small research project for English due Monday
8. I have to read for Apush
9. I have a worksheet due tomorrow for Apush
10. I have a essay to redo for Monday
11. I have a authors thesis paper due Monday
12. And on Tuesday I have 3 test confirmed one for bio, Apush, and Spanish

:) on the plus side if I manage to get this done I'll have a chance to bring my grade up.

streetracr77

Smash Journeyman

1. I have a review sheet to do for bio for a test tomorrow
2. I have a review sheet for my final
3. I have to review for my test tomorrow
4. I have to review for my final
5. I have a essay to write

:) on the plus side if I manage to get this done I'll have a chance to bring my grade up.
Wow Mr Bazerkus that is a lot of work, good luck on it.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878

1. I have a review sheet to do for ap bio for a test tomorrow
2. I have a review sheet for my final ap bio
3. I have to review for my test tomorrow ap bio
4. I have to review for my final ap bio
5. I have a essay to write ap bio

You're not in college are you? Because that just sounds like dull work coming straight out of either 8th grade or high school.

Top Bottom