• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2007 MLG Smash Series: MELEE-FC Diamond: Pools and CANDY in first post!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
How many Samus players would we need? Considering Hugs and Wes aren't going to be there, and Watty and Cra$hman both backed out (boooooo) - I'm not sure we'd have enough Samus's that want to do this to have others "not make the cut."
Watty and crashman didnt want to do regular crews..this is different and a side event. They might want to be on this.

KishSquared

Smash Master
Is it too late to lobby against a round robin for the top 8?

Seriously various forms of that have been attempted and I can't ever remember an instance when it was preferred over brackets.

I also think a case can be made that it is unfair to the 4 people still in the winner's bracket. The 4 in loser's get equal footing with them while they haven't lost any sets.

I've already talked to several other people, including a few who will very likely be in the top 8, and they agree that finishing off the bracket would be a better idea.
- It's never too late to lobby! Unfortunately, it might be too late to change anything. It's 6 days till the tournament o_0

- It went over really well at the Midwest Circuit Championship.

- It's not unfair - just think of the brackets as another "round". At FC, there are several rounds of pools, and you're allowed to lose sets within each round and still move on. If anything, the people in the winner's bracket are in better shape because they've played less matches to get there. Anyone who loses a match faces a ton more pressure and needs to win more matches to still make the final 8.

- And finally, several "good" players lobbied against the FC RR Pool system when Prime first implemented it, but it's now a staple of FC that everyone loves. I think people will really enjoy this as well.

So those are my responses, but let me also give you our perspective. We believe that ending with a RR solves a lot of problems with brackets, and provides some good competition as well:

Lucky Matchups: Almost every bracket sees certain people move on because they got a good match-up. If you're good enough to be in the top 8, you deserve a fair shot at the prize. Whoever wins the most against the other top 8 placers wins - seems sensible.

Splitsies: At FC6, it is quite well-known that certain top placers decided in advance to split the prize money. This made for some less entertaining finals matches to watch. In a RR, there is no final match, per se, and as such the contestants can't plan in advance to split the money without risking a severe drop in placement.

More high-quality matches: One of the best parts of a large tournament like this is that there are a high number of high-level players all in one place. Having the top 8 all play each other provides 27 "finals-quality" matches. It's a fantastic opportunity for both the high-level players (to play good matches) and the spectators (lots to watch!)

Unfortunately, we're not changing our minds at this point. This is our reasoning, and we're going to stick with it for FCD. But hey, if it flops, you won't see it next year.

Kel

Smash Master
I'm sure a couple huge matches will be set on the big screen. And if you know the records, you know what the finals are.

pockyD

Smash Legend
the "finals" could be a 6-0 player playing an 0-6 player while a 5-1 player plays another 0-6 player -_-

point being in that scenario, the "finals" already happened, possibly in each player's first game

Sliq

Smash Master
Ok, I'm forming the Jigglypuff team.

1.)Sliq
2.)KishPrime
3.)Hyuga
4.)Darc
5.)4%APR
6.)ChozenOne
7.)?
8.)?
9.)?
10.)?

Volunteer for the Jiggliest crew now!

pockyD

Smash Legend
i still don't understand why there are 10 people per character crew (and even considering 15?)

no one has that kind of attention span (watching the exact same thing for an hour, then watching another thing for another hour, etc.); IMO it should just be 5

KishSquared

Smash Master
Yes, but we'll do our best to keep the players that are winning the most matches from playing each other until toward the end. And like you say, the first and second placers may play early on, but that doesn't mean their matches are any less intense.

Still, I won't pretend that we have a perfect solution here. The major concern with a RR is that there is no finals match. But look at how many finals-quality matches you get to watch along the way, and hopefully that off-sets any disappointment.

We believe that the vast amount of "pros" outweigh the problem of not having a finals match. But it's a matter of opinion, and I don't expect 100% approval. Just give it a chance and see how it goes :)

Remember, the Japanese only ever played one GIANT RR pool. Talk about a lack of a finals match - but you can bet that there were a ton of great matches along the way!

Randizzle

Smash Ace
if the japanese do it, it must be good! desu.
in all seriousness, as someone that's definitely not goign to make it that far i'm actually kind of looking forward to watching the top 8 RR since it yields a lot of matches that otherwise wouldn't happen.

TTemp

Smash Journeyman
Ok, so heres my promotional thing for a Doc crew........ok, feel free to discuss who would be on this crew.......maybe we could actually form and play at FC, but I dunno.....whatever.

Afro_Ninja

Smash Apprentice
Ok, I'm forming the Jigglypuff team.

1.)Sliq
2.)KishPrime
3.)Hyuga
4.)Darc
5.)4%APR
6.)ChozenOne
7.)?
8.)?
9.)?
10.)?

Volunteer for the Jiggliest crew now!
Jigglypuff is my tourney character and I would love to be part of the crew, however I know you guys don't really know me. You can put me in an open spot and if it fills up I can play some friendlies at the tourney to see who deserves the spot? Just an idea.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
10 is just ********....
break the character-teams down to 5....please.

noone honest-to-god wants to see a character fight 10x in a row.

anywho...doc team?
me, 18spikes...?

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
I'd be good with being on the Peach or Roy crew.

We should definitely do Roy vs Fox because it's such an almost close match as far as low tier high tier matchups go. Plus there's so many good roys in attendance:
Sethlon
Exarch
vZakat

Neo
MoW
Masashi
FLT
SideEffect

That's 10 there isn't it? (We'll ignore the bottom 5 not coming.)
Sounds good to me!

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
whos up for a Body-Massage match?
loser has to give winner a full body massage?

or "your moms a man" match.
Trust me...you've played for money...but u haven't been nervous, until your mom's gender is on the line...i know. We do this in LA every tournament.
Loser's mom becomes a man, and submits all rights for the smash community for therein out to infinitely mention his mom is a man in any future comments or posts.
The only way to un-man your mom is to beat someone else in a "your moms a man" match...(but why would they accept?) because if they win they get money (and loser's mom remains a man!), ...but if they lose...their mom becomes the man instead!!!

We should get 2 pros to have a "your moms a man match" and get a whole crowd going ready to bash the loser for all of eternity (or until they can unman their mom at the next tourney)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom