• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2.5 Link Vs 2.1 Link

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
So I only noticed that Link can now have 3 bombs in play and the melee bomb teching has returned. I also noticed he can't down smash while holding a bomb like he could in demo 2.1. Is there any other changes from 2.1 to 2.5 Link you have noticed? What are all of the changes that occurred to this character from his 2.1 self?

monkeyx4

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3936 9382 6790
We discussed this on my thread on smash mods too bad none of the forums was transfer over

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
Yeah no kidding. I think we need to spark up a lot of conversation here since there barely is any since we have to start all over lol

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
- Leaving Boomerang knocks opponents up and away
- Returning Boomerang knocks opponents up and towards you
- The clawshot part of the grab no longer grabs people from the air
- Link can now have 3 bombs out at a time
- Aerial Glide Toss appears to travel further

There is probably stuff changed about his normal A moves, in particular, I've noticed no one getting out of jab, jab, d-smash for some reason, but I'm not convinced that that is guaranteed. His kills moves possibly kill even earlier as well. I was told that he has a faster u-tilt, but I haven't really noticed.

Aenglaan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aenglaan
3DS FC
0559-8074-9911
Other than Link's U-tilt being somewhat faster, I haven't noticed many changes from 2.1.

Sanity's_Theif

Smash Ace
So I only noticed that Link can now have 3 bombs in play and the melee bomb teching has returned. I also noticed he can't down smash while holding a bomb like he could in demo 2.1. Is there any other changes from 2.1 to 2.5 Link you have noticed? What are all of the changes that occurred to this character from his 2.1 self?
What's the bomb tech?

- Leaving Boomerang knocks opponents up and away
- Returning Boomerang knocks opponents up and towards you
- The clawshot part of the grab no longer grabs people from the air
- Link can now have 3 bombs out at a time
- Aerial Glide Toss appears to travel further

There is probably stuff changed about his normal A moves, in particular, I've noticed no one getting out of jab, jab, d-smash for some reason, but I'm not convinced that that is guaranteed. His kills moves possibly kill even earlier as well. I was told that he has a faster u-tilt, but I haven't really noticed.
So you're saying we can't grab people out of the air anymore? That's dumb, why take it away?

And I'll never get why they sped up the u-tilt when it's the side-tilt that needed more speed

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Link's Utilt was not sped up. The animation changed to more resemble Melee.

Link can still grab aerial opponents with this hand, but the hookshot itself cannot. This is to prevent braindead chaingrabs. (Even with this change he can still basically Zero-to-Death Lucas.)

Kati

Smash Lord
Was Link's midair jump always so... depressing..?

Kati

Smash Lord
hmm. Doesn't that kind of cripple him? I understand that his other physical traits as well as special attacks are better than his melee counterpart, but at the very least, wouldn't this hurt his recovery quite a bit?

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
It's something that will hopefully be fixed at a later date, things like his Ledge Drop -> WL are weird because of it. Just have to cope with it for now. On the flipside, you can instantly land on BF's platforms with a DJ which is sorta cool.

-referring to SCD

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Link's second jump has always been very sad but I think any long time Link mains are well-adjusted to this.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
So I have a question, but it will probably be ignored again since I'm over a month later than anyone who cared.

Why was Link's WD and DAC distance shortened to such a high degree? I understand tightening of physics and stuff, but be it intentionally intended or otherwise, a nerf is a nerf. Unless his wavedash being good was breaking him or making him lean in that direction, why was it made that much shorter? I understand "I liked it that way" isn't a legitimate balance argument, and that me complaining won't compel anyone to change it, but I'm just wondering because, well, it was ****ing awesome that way.

And his Bair still doesn't seem to work properly. Those two kicks don't link into each other for **** it seems and the first kick's hitbox seems to be kinda high still so it goes over people's heads. I've even had multiple situations where the first kick landed but the second kick was blocked. I don't think it was attributed to a crouch cancel either.

Increase in bombs got me excited when I first tried it though.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Project M is not SD Remix.

And his wavedash length has not changed since 2.0.

Kati

Smash Lord
While it might be a nice suggestion brlnk, this mod simply isn't taking suggestions. I think there are idea threads for unreleased characters, but the status quo for currently available characters is that we will observe how the meta game develops rather than try whatever idea comes to mind. The large amount of play testers ensures that whatever we, the public, receive, has been be given extensive though and consideration.

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
What's the bomb tech?

So you're saying we can't grab people out of the air anymore? That's dumb, why take it away?

And I'll never get why they sped up the u-tilt when it's the side-tilt that needed more speed
They took it out because link could unlimited chain grab from the air, so ground only.

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
Idk why people still want Link's 2.0 chaingrab back in. That thing was obnoxiously unfair and it made it incredibly easy to chaingrab most, if not all, of the characters in the roster.

It's like saying "Hey we should give Sheik's regular Dthrow back since it was so awesome back in Melee."

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
It especially doesn't make sense because he can still chaingrab pretty stupidly in 2.5b.

Sarix

Smash Ace
Yeah I agree that Link doesn't need his 2.0 chaingrab since he already has a lot of tick throw set ups. It would make matchups feel like a toned down version of the Ice Climbers, and I would drop Link immediately if that happened.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Project M is not SD Remix.

And his wavedash length has not changed since 2.0.
I think I meant pre-2.0 (I wasn't really thinking which version I was merely drawing off of a memory of playing). It was great before then and now it just seems so short comparatively. I really was more upset because it seemed like his DAC was neutered. It's still all manageable however and I doubt it will get increased due to my complaining.
But regardless, the whole reason I even made this account is to impotently ask if you guys would please consider making his bair link into the two hits better or have a better hitbox? My requests obviously hold no weight, but I just think moves should work properly and not be subject to randomly/frequently ****ing up for no good reason. That is all.

Top Bottom