• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

19 Damage with needles?

Flamingo

Smash Lord
Okay, I just got back from the library, where my friend and I were testing stale move decay etc... And I did 19 damage with needles, we did the math... He had 25% damage when I threw them, and ended up with 44%. I had 0% and we both had 2 lives left, I'm posting this info, because I've heard that the character's moves gain power when they are down lives.

I just don't know why they did 19, and would like to find out.

More information (that probably doesn't matter) but:
1. Ground throw.
2. Fully charged needles
3. Close proximity to Zelda (The character I threw them at)

demodemo

Smash Ace
except you weren't down on lives?

i do know that needles do less damage when thrown from far away, because of attack decay or some ****. maybe throwing crazy close does more damage. IDK though, never thrown fully charged needles in close range at 0%. (if not 0% i would not know how much damage i did since mental math is queer)

Flamingo

Smash Lord
except you weren't down on lives?

i do know that needles do less damage when thrown from far away, because of attack decay or some ****. maybe throwing crazy close does more damage. IDK though, never thrown fully charged needles in close range at 0%. (if not 0% i would not know how much damage i did since mental math is queer)
Haha indeed I was NOT down on lives. In fact, I had killed Zelda earlier, used some attacks to calculate the decay on her, then suicided myself as Sheik to reset the decay... (now we both have 2 lives) and then I threw the Needles.

I had heard of distance decay (or some name like that) before, like you mentioned. But did not know that it included needles. This is interesting, and disappointing because throwing needles at a close range can be punishable.

Villi

Smash Lord
I didn't know about the damage difference between close range and long range needles.

Some attacks do a little bit more damage than what the damage indicator shows, but the game keeps track. Marth might have had 25.7%, and needle storm might have done 18.4%; that would give Marth 44.1% damage, but you'll only see 44%.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Attacks do 105% damage (and knockback) at full power in Vs. mode. This results in a lot of attacks compounding 1-2% more damage than you'd expect. In 1P modes they're 100% at full power, but they don't decay either so that's a moot point.

An easily observable case of this in action is how Zelda's kicks do 20% in 1P modes and 21% in Vs. modes, which I'd hope is idiot-proof evidence for the rest of you.

Flamingo

Smash Lord
This is only Lucario I believe, because of his aura ability.
No, I think every character gets the lives down bonus, but like you are referring to, Lucario is the only character who gets a bonus for having high %'s. That's what the people I play with tell me anyway when we discuss Lucario.

Could it have been in training mode because moves don't stale in training mode.
Nah, this was a 1v1 VS match.

Attacks do 105% damage (and knockback) at full power in Vs. mode. This results in a lot of attacks compounding 1-2% more damage than you'd expect. In 1P modes they're 100% at full power, but they don't decay either so that's a moot point.

An easily observable case of this in action is how Zelda's kicks do 20% in 1P modes and 21% in Vs. modes, which I'd hope is idiot-proof evidence for the rest of you.
And I know this, but like I've seen Sheiks needles do 18 damage at max IN VS MODE everytime I've used them, I am accustomed to the 105% of VS mode being the standard, because I dont touch the 1-player modes. Ever.

I didn't know about the damage difference between close range and long range needles.

Some attacks do a little bit more damage than what the damage indicator shows, but the game keeps track. Marth might have had 25.7%, and needle storm might have done 18.4%; that would give Marth 44.1% damage, but you'll only see 44%.
^^ This is what I think may have done it, for I had damaged Zelda before launching the needles. Good thinkin' Villi! ^^

By the way, if anyone has anymore ideas to why this could have happened, post away!

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
And I know this, but like I've seen Sheiks needles do 18 damage at max IN VS MODE everytime I've used them, I am accustomed to the 105% of VS mode being the standard, because I dont touch the 1-player modes. Ever.
A lot of attacks =/= all attacks. Seeing extra damage on your target also depends on whether or not your opponent has accumulated fractional damage. Sigh.

silver0p

Smash Journeyman
i have a ratical idea thats probably not worth puting out there but it might be useful to someone else

well her needles like kinda bounce back some tiems and land on the ground but what if it hitt something before it did would it damage? or is it already renderd useless? and yeah dumb idea haha

Flamingo

Smash Lord
i have a ratical idea thats probably not worth puting out there but it might be useful to someone else

well her needles like kinda bounce back some tiems and land on the ground but what if it hitt something before it did would it damage? or is it already renderd useless? and yeah dumb idea haha
Haha, I wish it would hit the enemy, but I'm very sure it doesn't... And like in a 1v1 it DEFINATELY wouldn't. Haha, I've noticed that too... and like you know when you have just used your needle storm and you get hit simultaneously? and your needles go everywhere and they like *poof*? It would be pretty cool if those would hit also.

Top Bottom