• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

----------

nub?

Smash Rookie
shiri you're my hero :) you totally should've won BOTH matches vs pikachu. The pikachu just kept spamming his downb :(

and your vids showed me how effective yoshi's double a jab is for setting up small combos and for spacing. oh and i liked how you would run away then go to a pivot grab or a bair/dair it works nice :)

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Thanks for the comments.

And nub?, Yoshi's jabs are even better in Brawl, I think. Yoshi's grabs are awesome, and the punishment is so toned down that I was pretty much spamming them without care at that point; however, that's not a very smart way to play, so I'm toning down my grabs. And yeah, while I would have liked to win against PikaPika!, they were both very close matches and he's pretty solid, so I'm not upset with how I did.

Hopefully I'll have more after this weekend's tournament.

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
honestly i dont unnecessarily like the way u play. you play too safe a bit defensive. i missed alot of kills playing it safe. your very good don't get me wrong but you could have won all of them if you played a bit more offensive. yoshi can put good pressure so use it.

Mr Nobody

Smash Cadet
Wario is so good! He is among the most annoying characters to play against, though, for sure. He has amazing priority and uair absolutely destroys people. Unlucky. You would have won if you grab camped me every match instead of just the first, but that was real long ago and hardly matters anymore now.

Just as a note to those who question Shiri's aggression: the way he played those matches was very smart, especially vs me. I'm not trying to be Mr. Ego here, but I am a fairly competent powershielder, and Wario does not have much trouble comboing Yoshi; if he had just charged in, I would have powershield-grabbed him and brought the pain. From what I've noticed playing with Shiri, he knows his matchups very well and knows when to challenge priority and be aggressive and when to play a little more defensively. Wario is a real bad match for Yoshi and Pikachu seems to be as well, but I'm no Yoshi expert.

Perhaps some videos of my DK vs Yoshi will be uploaded at some point to showcase what kind of combos Yoshi is truly capable of. Hahaha.

Spyckie

Smash Apprentice
Go Shiri! Abuse that pivot grab!

I'm kind of sad, because I don't have anything to say but yoshi seems kinda... underpowered. The match against Pikachu... I don't think pikachu was playing well, because he approached in ways that left him wide open.

A couple of good points -
Loved the pivot grab. I think pivot to egg spam is the best combo in the game (hahahah yeah...), and maybe the best tactic a yoshi player can do.
Loved the down+b kills.
Jabs are very useful.

A couple of bad points -
Yoshi is only average in the air, as seen by the wario, MK, and pikachu and all other vids - dunno what you can do about that.
Why the charged smashes??? I would say get rid of those and I would love your yoshi to death. Then again, I wouldn't know what to do in that situation either... use your reaction speed to powershield approaches? run away?

A couple of whatifs -
I would like to see more egg laying... not sure if its good or not, but it seems to be yoshi's best front attack in the air, especially against guys with strong priority. (it can also be djc'ed)
I would like to see better egg throwing, or tactical egg positioning... dunno if that's possible either.

Any thoughts about yoshi's abilities against other characters? Where is yoshi strongest and where is he weakest?

I think all of yoshi's attacks make him too vulnerable except for his pivot and projectile.. and maybe the jab. It was the same in melee actually, except the djc made a lot of his subpar attacks unpredictable, thus, easier to hit with.

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
:yoshi: -PM-, I main Meta Kn--wait a minute.

Doom dragon, I see where you're coming from. The one thing I think is that in all three of those singles matchups I had, those characters have hand-over-fist priority over Yoshi, especially in the air (Wario's overall priority is just barely short of terribly annoying and Pikachu is just ********). It's kinda hard to be successfully aggressive against priority like that, especially when almost any aerial leads into a KO move from them. Admittedly, though, that was my first time fighting Snake as Yoshi, so that was just me being overly cautious. If I ever play a King Dedede, an Ike, or a Captain Falcon, you'll probably see me be much more aggressive. Thanks for the advice, though. I'll try to keep that in mind, especially against PikaPika!.
yea it would be nice if yoshi had a bit more priority lol

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
i love how u used the grabs. I wish yoshid had more killing moves. Are i wish his moves were more potent

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
yea i noticed you love to smash and not tilt, also eggroll more! its actually a really good approach this time around! pika is a hard match for yoshi so its good that you played smart try approaching with bair because of disjointed hitboxes!

also went to a tournament yesterday, did pretty good, im going to try and get vids up of my yoshi, but its on my SD card as a replay and its a teams match, any help?

Gindler

Smash Champion
Ha, yeah the most recent tourney I went to (128 people is more than I thought). And I was the only Yoshi there, I was like geez not even 1% of people use yoshi around here?

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
Sweetest team match-up ever:

Pit and Yoshi, man. Bouncing arrows off Yoshi's shield at different angles FTW.

Seriously, it's hilarious. A friend and I have been messing around with it.

Depster

Smash Champion
You have a nice, quick, Yoshi, and that's what I like to see. You've obviously nailed all the great techniques right on and have moved to mindgames. Still haven't dittoed you...

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
You seem to be fairly KO challenged. You get greedy when its time to get the kill. Try camping when opponents are at high percents, put them in uncomfortable situations.

D

Deleted member

Id like to see what u do against D3, i have trouble.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
Great fight with Mamba but one thing you should do is down-B above him if he uses the up-smash (Mortar) because it will cut right though it and hit him i have gotten a few KO's with that.

Top Bottom