• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

10/25 Houston, TX SSBM Tourney "How Many Neanderthals Can Fit on a Sinking Ship?" 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Why not just add Kongo Jungle and keep battlefield? It'll just get struck by people who don't like it (IE pretty much everyone, lawl), so it won't hurt anyone at all.

forkgirl

Smash Lord
The main thing is that I don't think random is random.
California strikeout is best cause it goes to the most neutral stage out of the neutral stages. So I guess adding a stage with battlefield would make it work. But which one? I don't know if my ego could stomach putting Rainbow Cruise back on random stage list but it'd might just work.
I disagree...yoshi's story definitely does not count as "the most neutral stage out of the neutral stages." unless you're marth or fox.

neither does dreamland, unless you're peach, and neither does FD unless you're falco, sheik, etc...

EVERY stage gives some characters an advantage over others, but the neutrals (including battlefield!) are the most neutral.

And I don't see what putting battlefield back in the random stages has anything to do with adding another stage (rainbow cruise or whatever)

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Well that would be the point of California strikeout. You supposedly get to the "most netural" stage because you're both allowed to remove the 2 (or 3) stages you like least, and play on the one remaining. To put battlefield back on random you'd have to put another stage on so it's an odd number.

But I don't like it because 1) it's too complicated, 2) I like battlefield and don't like rainbow cruise/DK64, 3) you would probably end up playing the same stage for every set depending on your character, like Jigglypuff players would always have to play on FoD. A small bit of randomness is healthy and fun.

oh and to Sethlon: I would probably just depend on the other person to strike the ****** stage because I wouldn't want to waste a strike. But if he thought the same thing we'd have to play there. And screw that.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Well thats silly Bluezaft. With you taking turns striking, you would rather play on Kongo Jungle than whatever random stage is left, with you having struck two of them? If you don't like it strike it.

It certainly is more complicated then just random though.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
Eh, I prefer one random reset and one stage ban.
So do I, but I thought of a better idea:

Keep the random resets, but you can ban counterpick AND neutral stages However, if you strike a neutral, it doesn't apply to the first round.

This way I can finally be rid of that blasted Yoshi's story ;)

My main concern is that there really isn't a whole lot to pick from in the counterpick stages anymore, and there are plenty of people that will counterpick only yoshi's story or Dreamland. It's almost like striking something else doesn't really affect them.

While DSR helps out in longer sets, it doesn't really help in best 2 of 3.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Well thats silly Bluezaft. With you taking turns striking, you would rather play on Kongo Jungle than whatever random stage is left, with you having struck two of them? If you don't like it strike it.

It certainly is more complicated then just random though.
The thing is DK64 probably wouldn't be disadvantageous for me, necessarily. It would just irritate me.

Kyle: a lot of tournaments do have it so you can ban neutrals. I wouldn't even say it's less common.

I wonder what Bebobli thinks...

Guts-Rage

Smash Cadet
Wait...... They are taking away Battlefield? Wow I've never heard of BS THAT bad, why take away a perfectly normal stage? the old rules were much better! So, taking away Battlefield is like taking away FD and without FD there aren't any more perfectly balanced stages, right?!?! C'mon people have some backbone, taking away good stages will do you no good. Lemme ask all the people who are banning all the good stages a good question.

Why so Stupid?

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
The thing is DK64 probably wouldn't be disadvantageous for me, necessarily. It would just irritate me.

Kyle: a lot of tournaments do have it so you can ban neutrals. I wouldn't even say it's less common.

I wonder what Bebobli thinks...
Honestly, I can't really think too much beyond the Final Smash 2 rules...... kinda behind the times on any new developments in Melee, other than any major Melee tournaments that go on, like FAST or Event 52.

EDIT: I think I actually have SOS to blame because you know how San Antonio can't live without Final Destination.

valgar2900

Smash Journeyman
Syba pwns! what do you mean who am I? Who are you?

@Valgar: Hey, if you really live in Galveston then I'll play you.
lol u rapin me i dont think so but i am from galveston but i dont live there right now. im in houston. it ppl that play dowb threr but i dont know if they went back to there homes. ill make some calls to see if anyone down there. ill call if i come down.

ps someone GOOD team with me PLZZZZZZZZZZ.lol

Guts-Rage

Smash Cadet
lol hey k nub lol jk i want to see your ganon compared to clueless'
Ahahahaha Me, N00b? not even reasonable. I may not be as good as clueless, but trust me I can **** you harder than a kid ****** a towel. (Don't know how that is possible) I can beat your Marth with mine. hehehe trust me son, you just wait till the tournament. My name won't be Guts, if I don't kick your arse.

Don't take anything I wrote personally, just messing with ya. The **** part is true though, hahahaha:laugh:

BeBoBli

Smash Cadet
A lot of posting happened, ****. Did no one even read the OP after I updated? As far as that stagelist is concerned I added Battlefield back in within the hour that pootTheBox posted his list.

Sethl0n: Sorry, didn't mean to unload the nerdrage. I can't assume you know, so I just explained. It isn't a sin to be ignorant either. Also Gabe is definitely being a real downer. I already got someone to pick up in the opposite direction and a lot of organizing to do the night before so even if you had gas money I wouldn't be able to come get you this time. Sorry.

forkgirl & co.: Battlefield is random legal!

bluezaft: California Strikeout. Are you saying we need an odd number to make it fair? I kind of like Sethl0n's idea, but I'll do it a little further. How about just adding the most broken *** stage possible to the list so most everyone will choose it first. Then again people will probably fight over who picks strikes when... I guess in that case just coin-flip it. And if any of you end up with Pokefloats or whatever you have no one to blame but yourself.

Don't try playing mind games on stage selection, guys. Strike it if you don't like it. This isn't a rule (I can't read minds), but more of a recommendation.

pootTheBox

Smash Ace
Blue and I talked about it and I agree with him that you'd end up at about the same stage every time depending on the matchup. But that stage would still be more neutral than either opponent getting a stage more in their favor. I'd add DK64 so I'd have two ginormous stages , two small stages, then pokestad, battlefield, and FD which are pretty diverse mid sized stages.

the arguments for keeping battlefield were funny and also non existent.

guts-rage: FD is not a perfectly neutral stage. nowhere to land safely and chaingrabs make it so.

Bebobli: yah I was wondering why everyone was freaking out about my suggestion when it was already decided.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
bluezaft: California Strikeout. Are you saying we need an odd number to make it fair? I kind of like Sethl0n's idea, but I'll do it a little further. How about just adding the most broken *** stage possible to the list so most everyone will choose it first. Then again people will probably fight over who picks strikes when... I guess in that case just coin-flip it. And if any of you end up with Pokefloats or whatever you have no one to blame but yourself.
California strikeout only works if there's an odd number of stages. I saw on the first post you just have it as random select for the first match, and that's much better than California strikeout, so let's just keep it.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
California strikeout only works if there's an odd number of stages. I saw on the first post you just have it as random select for the first match, and that's much better than California strikeout, so let's just keep it.
Have any of you actually used California Strikeout?

I've yet to find someone I played in person who likes random more. With California strikeout you are pretty much always playing on a stage you want the first game, unless you hate over half the neutrals :/. Most people only dislike one or two though so it works out great.

Also, you need an odd number.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
I use to hate them, but I find them to be rudimentary, like most dittos. It's all about staying above the opponent to avoid dash attack and dsmash. And turnip smash like crazy, but be careful about dash happy peaches.
No it's all about forward smash.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
lol Actually I think Clueless just won a bet and so did TGM

Anyone want to play with me tomorrow? I live in the Friendswood area...you must be southside'ish in order for me to want to play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom