• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

10/25 Houston, TX SSBM Tourney "How Many Neanderthals Can Fit on a Sinking Ship?" 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
He said that you didn't get past his 3rd stock and mainly because Ganon's tools against Peach are really good e.g. Ganon's AUA (ZOMG old fashion terminology) edge-guard

And if Mouf goes and doesn't have a team I might go with him on that one though. I'm not sure and he isn't responding to my "want to play" messages <_< he lives like 20 mins away XD but yeah, friendlies will hopefully determine my teammate

BeBoBli

Smash Cadet
Sybawave, people say things all the time. But fact is both Dawn and Baka are very good. I wouldn't underestimate either person's ability.

Dawn, it's good to hear you're officially participating!

If anyone wants to come on by to record some matches and test everything out on either Tuesday or Thursday give me a call.

forkgirl

Smash Lord
i REALLY think its a bad idea to take 50% off the singles fee for bringing a setup...thats $5 out of the pot per setup, maybe more since you're allowing two people to get a discount per setup. Since so many out of city players are showing interest, you want the pot to be high enough to make it worth while =/

Gigi

Smash Cadet
Mota? Never leave home without it.
~pootTheBox (Herbivores)

Xzalla down for that MM?
King Mosquito?
Syba?
Guts?

OhMyGodItzMouf

Smash Journeyman
okay a few things:

PLEASE keep the entry fee at 10$ singles 5$ doubles, otherwise it's gonna be a very small pot

sybawave, baka is good. and i have had a horrible case of poison ivy for the past 2 weeks so i haven't been able to play, i didn't even know you were sendin me messages lol

crews sounds really fun

so does green medicine

Sybawave

Smash Ace
I know Dawn is good lol I already played with him, TGM and Clueless are the ones who said that.

He uses Peach though lol Marth ***** her.

MOUF! When can we play this week?

EDIT: Like I said before, I'm just going off of what the others have said.

baka4moé

Smash Champion
eh, no worries, thanks though bebo and mouf. i look forward to playing a good marth, i haven't played one in a while. now i just need a ride getting there...:dizzy:

BeBoBli

Smash Cadet
i REALLY think its a bad idea to take 50% off the singles fee for bringing a setup...thats $5 out of the pot per setup, maybe more since you're allowing two people to get a discount per setup. Since so many out of city players are showing interest, you want the pot to be high enough to make it worth while =/
There was a big shortage last time even when I offered a discount. Only 2 setups. What else could be incentive?

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Just keep track of who has promised to bring a setup, and keep bugging people until there's enough.

edit: oh yeah, and use this:

BeBoBli

Smash Cadet
Allright the discount has been eliminated in favour of an older yet more successful system: begging

Anyone bringing setups it would be greatly appreciated if you tell me now. I've only got one spare television that needs a cube hooked up to it. So whoever calls it first (by posting) doesn't have to bring a television. I imagine we need at least 4 more setups brought.

You say this like I ever use anyone else <.<

/brings up dead argument

Hey, are you showing up for this? Also quoting the unproper usage of '/me'.

Edit: So annoying! The rules got cut off when I edited them somewhere down the road so I have to fill in a number of things again. I need to put the legal stages back up, but I got work in the morning so I'll need to hold that off until tomorrow.

pootTheBox

Smash Ace
megaimpost

Or just use this :)

SBR Recommended Rule List The Box edition
Super Smash Brothers: Melee (singles and doubles)
The following list was created by members of the Smash Back Room (SBR), then fixed by pTB
General Rules
  • Items are set to off
  • The stock is set to 4 *
  • The time limit is set to a minimum of 90 seconds per stock **
  • All sets are best of 3 matches except semi/finals 3/5
  • In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
  • No player may choose the stage they last won on
  • Ties will be broken by lives, then percentage. In the event of a percentage tie, one stock sudden death will be played
  • Wobbling is NOT allowed
  • The Ice Climber Freeze Glitch is banned
  • Jigglypuff's rising pound stall is banned
  • Peach's bomber stall beneath levels where she is unreachable is banned (example: FoD)
Set Format (in order of procedure)
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Each player alternately strikes a random stage till there is one left, PLAY! (california strikeout)*
3. Each player may ban a stage for the rest of the set
4. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Random Stage List or the Counter Stage List
5. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
6. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
7. Repeat steps 4-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for this match
**Opponents may instead agree upon a random stage

Random Stage List
Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
Past Stages: Dream Land
Special Stages: Final Destination
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List
Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise*
Dream Land: Green Greens *
DK Island: Jungle Japes
F-Zero Grand Prix: Mute City
Kanto Skies: Poke Floats
Lylat System: Corneria
Planet Zebes: Brinstar
Past Stages: Kongo Jungle*
Special Stages: Battlefield*

Banned Stage List
Mushroom Kingdom: Princess Peach's Castle *
DK Island: Kongo Jungle
Eagleland: Onett
Eagleland: Fourside
F-Zero Grand Prix: Big Blue
Hyrule Temple
Infinite Glacier: Icicle Mountain
Lylat System: Venom
Mushroom Kingdom I
Mushroom Kingdom II*
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Island
Past Stages: Yoshi's Island
Superflat World: Flat Zone
Termina: Great Bay

Additional Rules for Double's Play
  • Life Stealing is allowed
  • Set team attack to ON
  • Add Special Stages: Battlefield to Random Stage List
  • Add Termina: Great Bay to the Counter Stage List
  • Add F-Zero Grand Prix: Mute City to the Banned Stage List
  • Add Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams to the Banned Stage List
I was looking forward to a discount. Why not just make it one person per setup?

BeBoBli

Smash Cadet
Or just use this :)

SBR Recommended Rule List The Box edition
Super Smash Brothers: Melee (singles and doubles)
The following list was created by members of the Smash Back Room (SBR), then fixed by pTB
General Rules
  • Items are set to off
  • The stock is set to 4 *
  • The time limit is set to a minimum of 90 seconds per stock **
  • All sets are best of 3 matches except semi/finals 3/5
  • In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
  • No player may choose the stage they last won on
  • Ties will be broken by lives, then percentage. In the event of a percentage tie, one stock sudden death will be played
  • Wobbling is NOT allowed
  • The Ice Climber Freeze Glitch is banned
  • Jigglypuff's rising pound stall is banned
  • Peach's bomber stall beneath levels where she is unreachable is banned (example: FoD)
Set Format (in order of procedure)
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Each player alternately strikes a random stage till there is one left, PLAY! (california strikeout)*
3. Each player may ban a stage for the rest of the set
4. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Random Stage List or the Counter Stage List
5. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
6. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
7. Repeat steps 4-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for this match
**Opponents may instead agree upon a random stage

Random Stage List
Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
Past Stages: Dream Land
Special Stages: Final Destination
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List
Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise*
Dream Land: Green Greens *
DK Island: Jungle Japes
F-Zero Grand Prix: Mute City
Kanto Skies: Poke Floats
Lylat System: Corneria
Planet Zebes: Brinstar
Past Stages: Kongo Jungle*
Special Stages: Battlefield*

Banned Stage List
Mushroom Kingdom: Princess Peach's Castle *
DK Island: Kongo Jungle
Eagleland: Onett
Eagleland: Fourside
F-Zero Grand Prix: Big Blue
Hyrule Temple
Infinite Glacier: Icicle Mountain
Lylat System: Venom
Mushroom Kingdom I
Mushroom Kingdom II*
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Island
Past Stages: Yoshi's Island
Superflat World: Flat Zone
Termina: Great Bay

Additional Rules for Double's Play
  • Life Stealing is allowed
  • Set team attack to ON
  • Add Special Stages: Battlefield to Random Stage List
  • Add Termina: Great Bay to the Counter Stage List
  • Add F-Zero Grand Prix: Mute City to the Banned Stage List
  • Add Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams to the Banned Stage List
I was looking forward to a discount. Why not just make it one person per setup?
Stealing some of this.

As far as a discount instead you'll get a free soda and homemade marshmellow treat (or sandwich maybe) if you bring a setup. I'm about to go shopping to determine how much I plan to charge the rest of ya.

I get the impression people are not liking the idea of a discount altogether so I'm trying to find some incentive. Luckily these treats are some good stuff and anyone bringing a setup won't be disappointed.

If you don't like this idea, I'd entertain hearing a better one (and quick!). I'm gonna be a bit firm on this idea though.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
Ok I am probably going to get tagged for Double posting but I don't want anyone taking that offer while I'm editing my post <_<

@Sethlon: The other night when I was with TGM and Clueless, they had said that you started playing a lot of the characters since you got bored with just playing with Roy. Since they saw you semi-recently I just went with what they said. I'm sorry

@Dawn: You didn't call or text XD you phail! Jk

I might be going to play Mouf tomorrow though and my mid terms are Wednesday and Thursday so I can't play those days. Anyone thinking of throwing an SSBM Smashfest on Friday?

Keep Termina Bay banned for doubles XD

Can you make: MKII, Yoshi's Island, Onett, and Peach's castle coutner-pickable? O and have Battlefield on the Neutral stages? When did these rules come out?

BeBoBli

Smash Cadet
Sybawave is the winner. Everyone else be sure to bring televisions.

Sorry I won't be going to Mouf's though. That is, if he still lives way south of Houston. I'll check out a map if you have an address.

Anyone wanting to play and test out the recording equipment I'm willing to do so tonight or all day tomorrow. Hit me up on my cell. I need to get this stuff ready.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
YES! i r winnar! And omg wow lol Drew caught me fast XD

Yeah Mouf still lives pretty far down in Houston lol which happens to be the reason I'm able to play him =P

Sorry I can't help test things out lol you're too far North for me

I'm used to playing old school rules XD or at the very least the rules that I was raised with lolz

bluezaft

The True Zaft
The word is 'disproper' people.

I'm going to bring a Wii so we can also play hacked Brawl (Brawl with WDing and l-canceling), and probably a TV too.

Be sure to be there so we can **** Houston in crews, Sethlon.

BeBoBli

Smash Cadet
I'll come if I can find a ride. Gabes got work. If I do I'll bring a setup, as always.

Also, I don't see how that was an IMproper use of the /.
It was ILLproper because it originated as a command to show an action. Could have originated in IRC, but also widely used in MUDs, MMORPGs and other online games and applications as the same command. Just doing '/' would result in an unknown (in this case empty) command.

ya

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Do you seriously think I didn't already know all of that? I played on Battlenet when diablo/starcraft came out, I've played WoW/RO/other MMOs, I know what /me does. I am well aware of the fact that a simple "/" does nothing, I suppose you wanted me to type the full "/brings up dead argument"?

****in **** do I hate it when people assume I'm ignorant.

pootTheBox

Smash Ace
Syba those stages are mostly banned because of fox.

SBR came up with some whack ruleset with rainbow cruise on random so I edited that **** cause I didn't want to make my own format. i think it's pretty current

Sybawave

Smash Ace
lol current = GAY, Old School > New School

That's stupid lol they were perfect for infinites, now what the hell are you supposed to do? That's so unfair.

How come there was never a rule that you can pick a banned stage if your opponent agrees to it?

O and keep Wobbling in please.

And the tie breaker rule is ********. Can't we just play another match instead?

pootTheBox

Smash Ace
I don't know what you consider old school but I came around just before MOAST 3. If I started any earlier I'd have played with items.

**** the internet. I can't tell if you're joking. Current means we have learned from the past. Back int he day no one really could do anything terribly broken except spam and run. Now any crappy fox or ICs can wobble or infinite with ease. I personally have not enjoyed being spammed/infinited on peachs castle and wobbled in friendlies and tournament by clowns who are proud of it. It's never unfair to ban things that make the game uncompetitive. Broken maneuvers and stages are brawl. Fair and true competition IS melee.

forkgirl

Smash Lord
Battlefield has always been a random stage!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can't just take it out now!! THATS MY BEST STAGE!

keep the rules normal...how we've always had them for many years lol.

Jeremy Feifer

Jeremy Feifer
Yo AIR-IN (<_<) I dont think I'm comming, Im broke. I got no money to spend on Smash. Sorry.

Dawn, I guess I cant team cause ^^^

pootTheBox

Smash Ace
The main thing is that I don't think random is random.
California strikeout is best cause it goes to the most neutral stage out of the neutral stages. So I guess adding a stage with battlefield would make it work. But which one? I don't know if my ego could stomach putting Rainbow Cruise back on random stage list but it'd might just work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom