• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(」・ω・)」 MARS la Marf in Smash 4 (/・ω・)/

VietGeek

Smash Hero
ya

and really p3 there are certain characters you can play as w/o practicing and others you have to regularly (brawl)

also in melee its almost a necessity to practice to keep tech skill consistent

in brawl its entirely by ur choice, u can still technically **** so as long as ur still familiar w/ the game

also on both games most of the thinking is really just eliminating options, match-up dependent, and exposing the easiest **** to get stuff done

the only really difference is what game mechanic in question is most imbalanced, most common strats, and game speed. thought process speed is dependent really on character

if you play as falcon in melee you can actually do pretty well just by timing and reaction due to his nature

marth ***** most at mid percents, before high and after low-low when his moves begin to tumble but don't send too far away. u have the most predictable approach out of the S class characters, and ur goal is to score a kill before 100 since you lack kill options shortly after that mark, and ur combo options low-low percent are limited to grabs and subsequent follow-ups.

just some really over-simplified examples

i might just be spouting **** but w/e

i don't really care about rep anymore, 2008 was a year ago

Player-3

Smash Hero
lul

well when i play agaisnt falco as falcon
lazers errwur n stufz
i cant think fast enough ]:
viet gimme dem asian brains plz

and @ brawl char stuff yeah i guess IC and falco are the only two i can think of that require consistent playing to hold onto your tech skill n stuff

and yoshi if your scatz cuz he got those crazy brawl wavedashing mindgamez

edit: well maybe marth would apply for spacing but i dont play the game more than once every 2 weeks, and my spacings pretty good if im thinking when i play

∫unk

Smash Master
Waitwait

Did someone say wc spanks ec in teams? Lol
Lol

Lol

LOOOL
see people would take your opinions on wc and ec seriously if...

1) you ever went to the wc
2) you didn't lose to a norcal random
3) the topic wasn't so dumb and biased to begin with (notice who brought it up)

do you realize he went 0-2 in norcal the weekend after getting 13th/70 something in ny? i can only imagine the **** that would happen if you played a socal random.

this post shows you never even reached high level brawl play, or high level melee play for that matter. i'm not saying there's anything wrong with that just don't spew information you don't have a clue about.

i'll break down your post

tech chasing in brawl is very limited
this is simply not true... in terms of reading your opponent's options when you're at frame advantage it's even harder in brawl because your opponent has more escape options. you have to read their DI and their option after (jump/airdodge/attack/nothing).

Good players don't string hits randomly.

you do have to think alot faster in melee, maybe not 3x but very much faster
i'm not even quite sure what thinking fast means... you might need fast reactions on a more consistent basis because the game is faster, but watch high level brawl play they are reacting extremely fast to things, you can tell just looking at their controllers it's like a twitch.

as for who has to react faster... in theory it should be the same players try to react as fast as possible so they get the biggest punishment opportunity regardless of the fighter.

i guess you do have to practice brawl but its like to the extent of it takes maybe a day, if that, to master what you need to know,
inb4iceclimbers
if you block a spaced retreating mk f-air with marth, do you know the correct punishment?

if the opponent moved toward you and air dodged after a f-throw, what should you do when you grab the opponent near the edge but facing towards the inside of the stage? what if it's metaknight? is it different if they're at 50%? 100%? 150%? what about staling?

diddy just threw a banana on your shield and has the second one on a platform above you... what's his most likely option?

every time you grab a grenade the opposing snake pulls out another one and forces you to drop it, what's the best counter to this situation?

in brawl there's solutions to everything (if you play high tier lol) but if you don't know them you get *****... then people find solutions to the solutions. some players come back after not playing a while and do exceptionally well. most players come back and are not very good (ex. fiction). i'm talking high level play fiction would still destroy most people.

so back to your original point, yes you do have to practice. there's not much tech skill practice just situational practice. knowing what your good options are and being able to execute it consistently.

if i didn't play all the time as DDD (extremely simple character) i wouldn't know when i only have f-tilt as a punishment option, and when i can grab, and when i should do nothing. if the opponent is bad and constantly misspacing and leaving openings then it doesn't matter but vs good players that's not the case.

shieldstun is cool too
this is just personal preference, i don't care either way because i recognize all characters have to deal with the fact that their moves have very little shield stun.

in brawl its entirely by ur choice, u can still technically **** so as long as ur still familiar w/ the game
if you mean ****** as in beating randoms sure. but people do that in melee too.

-

all you can say in the end is brawl is different from melee, and they're both still evolving. just play what you like but don't say stupid stuff about the other game.

Player-3

Smash Hero
i have in no way reached high level play myself, but ive played very good players in brawl (kismet/biglou) and really good people in melee (fmtl sleepyk)

and i was talking practice as in precision, ic chaingrabs, waveshine combos, falcos weird boosting stuff, punishment/reacting to situations is more of a memorization of options, and choosing one to react with thing to me, doesn't necessarily take practicing the game over and over and over to get that one thing down, you just have to have played enough people to know what to do as long as your familiar enough with it that you can do
i think of things weird
which is why i dont do as good as i should

i guess im speaking too much from personal experience, in melee ive always had to think faster than brawl in melee because the game speed is faster, you have less time to react and i cant think fast enough anyways so i react with whats the best thing that comes to mind (ex: shield gets hit, db or ds or fair, thinking of move decays, etc)
i dont memorize these situations but i just react with options that ive memorized that are good punishing moves, and depending on placement on the stage, distance, metaknight, etc ill choose one i think is best, and if it doesnt work, adapt

yeah, i really like shieldstun
64 shield break combos are hillarious
except kirby,
utilt utilt utilt fsmash is stupid

we cant talk about something actually pertaining to the game here tho its agaisnt the rules

when i said techchasing i meant chasing techs, not DIchasing or w/e you want to call it....which would be tech chasing
my bad
lol

Angel.M <3 C:

Smash Champion
LMAO ok junk, I lost to a random ICie player(a match up I have ZERO experience in and did stupid **** instead of playing gay)

But you know what? Are you going to pound? If so MM for $20 since I'm so bad. I'll gladly raise it to 50 if you want and I get the money.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
you can't win an argument w/ junk because his definitions of things do not match the "standard"

for example in the snippet he quoted from me, he was allowed to define **** however he liked

even though all of us know high level players usually go neck-to-neck anyway regardless of game; consequentially being a high level player usually equals "****"

unfortunately it seems all fighting game forums are getting boring lately, not a lot of activity, ppl finding other ["better"] sh*t to do, etc.

otherwise i would not care to write this up

maybe steel2nd can explain to me why i care about trollboards

Player-3

Smash Hero
you can't win an argument w/ junk because his definitions of things do not match the "standard"

for example in the snippet he quoted from me, he was allowed to define **** however he liked

even though all of us know high level players usually go neck-to-neck anyway regardless of game; consequentially being a high level player usually equals "****"

unfortunately it seems all fighting game forums are getting boring lately, not a lot of activity, ppl finding other ["better"] sh*t to do, etc.

otherwise i would not care to write this up

maybe steel2nd can explain to me why i care about trollboards
because you have not reached lvl 32 and evolved into a full blown moe-chan

obv :012:

ChaosKnight

Smash Master
really all that situational bull**** is so limited once you know all options its a guessing game >_>

diddy throws a banana at your shield his other banana is on the platform what options are there ?

simple ... hes gonna either go for the banana grab it or once he threw it you go for a grab or act like hes gonna grab the banana and do a mid fair >_> or roll back like an idiot or smash attack your shield

i covered every single option he has avaliable to him >_>

Player-3

Smash Hero
that song is so crazy

it sounds like they took the song and then... bent it or something

thats pretty awesome

∫unk

Smash Master
LMAO ok junk, I lost to a random ICie player(a match up I have ZERO experience in and did stupid **** instead of playing gay)

But you know what? Are you going to pound? If so MM for $20 since I'm so bad. I'll gladly raise it to 50 if you want and I get the money.
lol I don't care why you lost coming prepared in matchups is part of tournaments.

I'm not going to pound because I'm not good enough someday I'll travel to the ec

But don't rage mm me you won't play your best and even if I won I wouldn't accept the money. And don't be so arrogant it stunts your growth as a player, at least it did for me.

that said I have no idea if you're better than me or vice versa nor do I care, and I have never stated than I'm better because I don't believe I'm better than anyone (in the long term) and it doesn't matter.

how do ppl expect to slam brawl in brawl forums or slam an entire coast and not expect to get ***** back don't be dumb

and viet you're probably right because I pick arguments that I believe I'm correct in. But my definition of things are different, just like to m2k all but like 10 players that play brawl are "really bad". It's because I hang around with ppl who use that definition irl.

that said I'm open minded I'll listen to everyones suggestions and comments.
No egos only analysis.

∫unk

Smash Master
because outside of tournament I play to learn. mm means money is on the line for no reason. it already cost enough money for food travel and entry. most ppl already put ego on the line even in friendlies lol why do I want to take money too if I win I feel bad. I'm just playing to learn and I don't really care if I lose and they're like rage quitting.

Hard to explain my view of things I used to think different then I got launched out of a car at 75mph blew out my knee and had a 2% chance of surviving (fractured neck) let alone being able to do normal stuff. When that happen it changes some **** lol I can't get mad anymore that's how I got better I just analyze better now.

Player-3

Smash Hero
I'm the Scoot player ya silly bugger. I was just trolling Shaya. Played so awful in those team matches. lol
if you want to troll shaya you should tell him

"we lost the teams match because we were trying to understand your really long jokes"

swordsaint

Smash Master
if you want to troll shaya you should tell him

"we lost the teams match because we were trying to understand your really long jokes"
Nah. If I wanted to really troll Shaya I'd just tell him I was limiting his options. :)

Dunno whether you guys have heard that story yet?

Basically, in one of our loser's finals sets. I took the first game on SV, and he was like "well it limits his options so he can't counterpick it later". Or something to that effect in his usually whiny voice. :laugh:

Vinnie

Smash Master
see people would take your opinions on wc and ec seriously if...

1) you ever went to the wc
2) you didn't lose to a norcal random
3) the topic wasn't so dumb and biased to begin with (notice who brought it up)

do you realize he went 0-2 in norcal the weekend after getting 13th/70 something in ny? i can only imagine the **** that would happen if you played a socal random.
I don't see him losing to a norcal 'random' proves any point of wc top players vs ec top players. CM is not a top player. He's a good player, but not a top player.

Also you shouldn't hold losses against someone, everyone messes up once in a while. He had a bad day that day, no matchup experience, etc. Also beating a bunch of randoms (+CM) with ICs infinites and losing to 2 people (Will, dk player, and me), who both aren't considered top 5 in NY, isn't exactly '******' a tourney.

He just knows how to beat randoms well. Randoms get grabbed easily.

Player-3

Smash Hero
Nah. If I wanted to really troll Shaya I'd just tell him I was limiting his options. :)

Dunno whether you guys have heard that story yet?

Basically, in one of our loser's finals sets. I took the first game on SV, and he was like "well it limits his options so he can't counterpick it later". Or something to that effect in his usually whiny voice. :laugh:
Marth mains like to sandbag

∫unk

Smash Master
i got last in singles (well in bracket, pools was whatever) 0-2 played my own region 2 metaknights blah blah blah those 2 mk's went on to do really well

beat sk and fow on teams

im bad at the mk matchup if they know how to fight ddd i have to learn frames now there's no other way i'll have a shot

most of the time im having to really outplay the mk lol example to punish a good mk's tornado with ddd you need to do a QUADRUPLE read (length of tornado, grounded/airborn, stalling/driveby/comeback, the actual read of the tornado coming)

most mk's just hit tornado at certain places every time and only do airborn driveby extremely long tornados but the ones that know all the mixups of nado.... its hard lol

Roxas M

Smash Master
i got last in singles (well in bracket, pools was whatever) 0-2 played my own region 2 metaknights blah blah blah those 2 mk's went on to do really well

beat sk and fow on teams

im bad at the mk matchup if they know how to fight ddd i have to learn frames now there's no other way i'll have a shot

most of the time im having to really outplay the mk lol example to punish a good mk's tornado with ddd you need to do a QUADRUPLE read (length of tornado, grounded/airborn, stalling/driveby/comeback, the actual read of the tornado coming)

most mk's just hit tornado at certain places every time and only do airborn driveby extremely long tornados but the ones that know all the mixups of nado.... its hard lol
wait......you have a problem with the mk MU but your teaching me mk? lolwut?

i wish i went to R3. (transportation johns)

VietGeek

Smash Hero
there's a reason why mk is the best char in the game u know

knowing how to use the tools doesn't quite always translate to knowing how to counter them in this situation

also d3 is phat

Top Bottom