• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

☆ ~ The Wing Cap ~ ☆ (Somewhat outdated)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Speaking of Mario's DACUS, how did Monk slide so far with it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDn2uFzS6KM at 2:01

Was it just the terrain of the stage? Or is there a super strict timing to always slide that far?
I don't think Monk even knows you can DACUS with Mario.

There is a certain frame window on Mario's Dash where if you charge a Hyphen Smash on it, you will slide that far.

The more reliable way to get respectable sliding is by charging DACUSes, but I think the really narrow frame window hyphen smash slides farther. But seriously, here's me doing DACUSes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RByu1zFUWjI

Flameleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valthiel_Malus
-DACUS is almost useless for Mario, if what you want is distance, the only thing than you have to do is a Hyphen Smash, but just like A2Z said, the exact frame window is so small to do, but it's possible to practice, i usually use it when i need to go behind a shielding char while having my Usmash ready to use almost full charged...-

KaioKenx10

Smash Rookie
This guide is incredibly helpful, especially seeing as i'm a new mario to the community.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Just wanted to mention I'm embedding the most current Mario guide vids in the second post.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Hero, you mean off of any ledge right?
That makes sense. The only reason it's easier off of platforms is because you fall under the platform then the cape's momentum boost pushes you back above, whereas onstage, you need to do it before you have time to fall below the edge (Hope that made sense. I know what I'm trying to say, but I'm not sure if it's coming out right.).

Famous

Smash Champion
Just to note, you can Cape Dash on any stage regardless of platforms or not, just that the timing is rather... very strict. Maybe inhuman. I've done it a few times but only at 1/4th speed on training mode.

Also, good MU vids. I suggest doing Chaingrab next.
I wouldn't recommend Cape Dashing on certain stages though...Also, it looks somewhat freaky when you do it on Brinstar...Cape stays out forever if you hit the ground on the right side of the stage

HyperGumba

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Taro_Kuroyoko
3DS FC
4227-1462-6701
First I want to say that I really approve. Mario never got the respect he deserves and if we constantly learn more with this guide Mario could get a chance to climb on the tier list. I am a Mario player, too,so I am really interested in learning some advanced techniques . :chuckle:

Just want to say something about something mentioned in the playstyle section,it was said,that Mario's ground game sucks in general.
I do not fully support that statement,I think the DSmash is something,from witch I really profit in close combat,especially when playing against Kirby or MK,combined with dodging their close combat attacks like Kirby's F-/D-Smash and MK's DSmash by sidestepping ,Mario's DSmash turns out to be a really good breakout attack,which even works on both directions (just bad that it hits later behind).

On a side note, the cape teleport is something I tried way before and I never managed to do it right. Hope I'll learn it someday. Oh,and I eager to see what actually the cape **** is ... :chuckle:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Just want to say something about something mentioned in the playstyle section,it was said,that Mario's ground game sucks in general.
I do not fully support that statement,I think the DSmash is something,from witch I really profit in close combat,especially when playing against Kirby or MK,combined with dodging their close combat attacks like Kirby's F-/D-Smash and MK's DSmash by sidestepping ,Mario's DSmash turns out to be a really good breakout attack,which even works on both directions (just bad that it hits later behind).
When I said "bad in general" (didn't say suck), I mean relative to other characters who all have better ground work, which would translate into Mario having a bad ground game. I didn't mean it as a way that it shouldn't be used, but there are times when you gotta stress out one part of Mario's attributes instead of all of it.

MK and Kirby are actually perfect examples of when to go Mario(Pressure) style, because your aerials are contested better/equally by those two characters.

SUPER MARIOWNED

Smash Rookie
Hey guys! Kinda new around here. I was referred to give this a check. I've gotta credit you, FireMario! This is brilliant!
I've only read over most of what'cha got down and -- if I may, I've gotta thing or two that I'd like to add!

(Apologies to anyone who may of mentioned these someplace in here or if it's known of or anything, just thought I'd try and help out.)

1.) Reverse Upsmash: It's sorta like a sliding upsmash, only this might actually come in handy. Basically, as you dash forward, you've got the option to jump-cancel straight into an upsmash, only backwards! This is actually very beneficial for many reasons.
a. Mario's upsmash begins from behind. You'd be quicker in striking the opponent!
b. You're facing backwards. Waste no time and do a quick bair/uair and throw the opponent into a combo if you choose to do so!
How to perform: Dash (you don't need to keep running) + jump & A.

2.) Reverse Cape: Pretty sure that this might of been referenced someplace, though I've found it upon my own discovery. It's almost as though you're going to cape straight off a platform, except the momentum is reversed! If done successfully, you'll wind up caping across platforms to an extent depending on where you are.
i.e. Halbred's platform allows you to cape all the way to the other side of the platform. Might come in handy.
i.e. Stage platform's only have the ledge to work with. If done successfully, you'll only shoot some distance forward, almost as though you're doing a dash + analog tap & fireball/cape. Sometimes, it will even glide you a little off the edge, and then you'll just automatically grab the ledge.
How to perform: Exactly like caping off a stage, only you'll want to tap the opposite direction just as soon as you leave the edge, as well as cape.

Here's a tip for those of you who are determined to cape glide off a stage successfully if you're having trouble: Grab the ledge, roll back onto the stage and from that exact point, try to cape glide from there. You're not traveling to your full potential, but you're definitely traveling far from the ledge! I found it to of been a much easier way to cape glide.

Once again, I am just sharing these with you. I've discovered these on my own, though I am not attempting to gain credit from this. I apologize if it's been referenced before and I hope it helps!

**EDITED** Ok, now that I've spent a while looking around, it's become apparent that this has already been discovered to an extent. My bad, fellas. Spare the forum noob!

The Master of Mario

Smash Journeyman
When I said "bad in general" (didn't say suck), I mean relative to other characters who all have better ground work, which would translate into Mario having a bad ground game. I didn't mean it as a way that it shouldn't be used, but there are times when you gotta stress out one part of Mario's attributes instead of all of it.

MK and Kirby are actually perfect examples of when to go Mario(Pressure) style, because your aerials are contested better/equally by those two characters.

Mario's Ground game doesn't suck. He is faster on the ground than in the air and that's why FoxTrotting is helpful(He foxtrots about as fast as Marth but runs slower). Mario needs the speed to attack opponent's while they are lagging or during approaches. D-smash comes out very fast and has good priority. Mario has better damage and range on his F-smash. And his U-smash Attacks Fast enough to hit OOS. For range on the ground Mario has Dash attack and Dash Cape which can lead into other attacks. He ducks much lower than most of the cast so he can dodge attacks by Ducking and then attack. His F-tilt slide can be used to. His ground game is more evasive than his air game; It's not worse.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
If FireMario is planning to make any more videos, I'd suggest some general strategy stuff, like abusing Mario incredibly low lag by jabbing out of almost everything. It would help some people out to see things like fireball approaching and jabbing when you land or fastfalling an aerial and buffering the landing directly into jabs.

Pookiablo

Smash Rookie
Wow, all I want to say is that I've only just come across this (I want to make Mario my second) and my God - what an incredible interactive guide.

I just wanna say a big thank you to everyone who contributed - what a ridiculous amount of effort you've all put in - you've earned the respect of El Pookiablo.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Thanks! Still working on it though, anyone tell me if they see mistakes.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
How long has this in production? This is really organized and really informative. Good job.

Top Bottom