• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

☁ Wichita Kansas Area Discussion ☁ Let's Play Every Mario Party Board

Should we start doing the Kansas PRs again?

• Total voters

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Yeah, I hear you. Iowa's stage list is so messed up.
Mr. Doom wants to see this list. If Mr. Doom likes, Mr. Doom will put his stamp of approval.

*checks Iowa's stage list*

What in tarnation are you spewing out? Iowa's stage list used to be Kansas' stage list, save for Distant Planet.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=176740

(Posted for those who don't want to google "joker's iowa montly")

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
They used to have all counterpick/banned stages legal. Glad to see they made some sort of improvement to it; it still has room for more, though.

fragbait

Smash Master
MJG actually put Razor and Joker in Loser's to get to Grand Finals but Joker came back in Grands after beating Razor in Loser's Finals.

Step 1: Get Tio.
Step 2: Get a place to hold the tournament.
Step 3: Generate hype (Lie if necessary, usually works)
Step 4: Run away with the pot to Mexico.
Step 5: Buy hookers and blow
Well, see, no wonder you thought NK2 sucked, you skipped steps 4 and 5.

For those who aren't premium members, I've been working with a few users on starting a brand new Smash Podcast.
Premium Members can click
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=254904
To check out the thread.

Expect more information soon.

fource

Smash Lord
NNID
LeThienWasMyHero
What in tarnation are you spewing out? Iowa's stage list used to be Kansas' stage list, save for Distant Planet.
Please acknowledge that you said "used to be". It "used to be" for good reason. Out of the country, midwest has, by far, the worst stage list.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
For those who don't know, WSU is hosting another all-night LAN PARTY this Friday:

http://webs.wichita.edu/dt/calendar/show/itemview.asp?VIEW=ACTIVITIES&ITEM=30920&DATE=11/20/2009

One of the tournaments is a Brawl tournament w/ legit rules, except that it will probably single elimination. I might be able to convince them to do double, considering how much time we'll have.

Also, in case you're wondering, I was assured earlier today that Brawl will not be played on a laggy TV.

We should easily dominate this thing.

Get a hold of me if you're interested.

Holms

Smash Ace
More stage johns, woo

You people do realize that stages where "gay" crap can be done can be done by BOTH parties, right? And if you're going to say "well some stages work unfairly better for some chars" well then what's the point of counterpicking

I can understand things like onette, for example, where people like ike and ddd can just wall infinite you from four different locales, but saying stages like distant planet are stupid-unfair with reasons like "there's a walkoff" or "there's that water hazard" is dumb because castle siege is legal with two walk offs and delfino has water in it/mario can use water

I personally hope that some day the stage list grows again, not with custom stages but more brawl stages. so far the biggest complaint I hear about most of these stages is that the one who lost couldn't adapt to the stage and therefore deemed it nonviable in tournament

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
For those who don't know, WSU is hosting another all-night LAN PARTY this Friday:

http://webs.wichita.edu/dt/calendar/show/itemview.asp?VIEW=ACTIVITIES&ITEM=30920&DATE=11/20/2009

One of the tournaments is a Brawl tournament w/ legit rules, except that it will probably single elimination. I might be able to convince them to do double, considering how much time we'll have.

Also, in case you're wondering, I was assured earlier today that Brawl will not be played on a laggy TV.

We should easily dominate this thing.

Get a hold of me if you're interested.
Can I contact you?

BTW, guys, from now on, we cannot call hit-stun hit-stun anymore. I was checking the Super Smash Bros. Melee Bonus Records, and listed as a bonus is Skid Master. Worth 1000 points, the player "Had long [sic]stun-slide distance. (9 feet or more in 1 minute)" So yeah, we should start calling hit-stun "stun-slide."

fource

Smash Lord
NNID
LeThienWasMyHero
I honestly couldn't care less what stage my opponent takes me too. I feel comfortable playing on any neutral or counterpick with an exception to maybe Brinstar. I've even counterpicked stages outside of neutrals and stages that are supposed to be out of Diddy's comfort zone. I've both won and loss on neutrals and counterpick stages and I do not feel as though I perform better on one than the other. The only reason I'll pick a stage outside of a neutral is to possible throw my opponent off.

I do believe however, that in a competitive scene, balance is necessary. Brawl is really one of the only games where stages have a decently heavy influence on who wins or loses. Granted Melee had some problems like Yoshi's was incredibly broken for Marth it's no comparison to Wario on Brinstar or Falco on Jungle Japes. Do you know how silly it is or how dumb you feel going into round two against one of these match ups on those levels knowing that you have absolutely no choice but to lose? Sometimes Adapting just doesn't have anything to do with it. Your argument about without stages there's no point to counterpicking doesn't really mean anything to me because I think counterpicking is silly. That's the point to where the game is more about winning than having fun when I don't see why you just can't do both.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
stage ban discussions are always a touchy and often a fruitless discussion because the criteria for a ban varies from person to person. it's a fairly subjective thing.

also distant planet's reason for banning is because that stage is very conducive to camping from mk, gw, and the like (ledge under the stage). with a very solid ledgegrab/camping rule in place, i think it'd be an alright stage. the water is nothing, it shouldn't even kill anyone (except maybe ivysaur lol) since you get pushed right under the main platform. permanent walkoff camping can be pretty gay though (which is the difference between this stage/onett/eldin/etc and delfino/siege)

also i've been pranked again

Holms

Smash Ace
lol stuff :p
Lol, funny you should use Wario and Brinstar as an example seeing as that's considered a legal/legitimate situation. And levels don't win matches, else metaknight would never lose.

I don't care much for counterpicks either, seeing as I don't let stages be the best of me, and I can switch between multiple characters to ensure that I don't have to worry too much about the stage. My issue with limiting counterpicks is that it defeats the purpose of having them. You have some characters who can barely win character matchups simply because their opponent's char outclasses and counters them, so counterpickable stages help to balance that. Counterpicking is almost necessary to help balance what little balance this game has. But all the stages are catered to high tier, leaving everyone else to having to catch up. And what better way to catch up than to play...gay? Campy, ledgy, uber defensively, etc...So making it to where everyone does "evenly" on the stage forces you to rely on matchups, many of which are nearly impossilbe to win or are insanely if not a tad bit too difficult.

Domo123

Smash Journeyman
melee minded = know your bans/ pick your poison know your options and alternatives. Zeton for example learned in ok that sheik is his poison and has thus been working on ways to beat her be that level or character selection or both. Watch a high level melee set how many characters can they use? How fast does m2k go marth on a fox if he loses? How fast does he take them to fd? Or yoshis? Then how fast does the fox switch cause he is gettin grabbed to 80 then tippered out of it? I think we all here need to lead by example and cause our own revolution. Maybe we can all become good like the melee days and play several characters and dare I say it "adapt"........ Gasp. I know that word is new to those who never really got into melee but you should learn it. Anyway I had an 11hr day at work. I had a lot more to say but I'm sleep night. And holms I agree but I would really like to discuss this with you. I like intelligent convos about the game. Till then bye

p.s to all those who are gonna say but you only use mk in tourney yes I do. But do know there are times when I regret not using marth and some of my others that's why I'm playin them more to break the cycle and get more comfortable with them at higher levels for tourney use.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Full List of Tournaments that will be at the Lan Party this Friday:

PC Tournaments:
- Call of Duty 4
- Left 4 Dead Survival Mode
- Warhammer 40k

Console Tournaments:
- Super Smash Brothers Brawl
- Street Fighter 4
- Mario Kart 64
- Halo 1
- Guitar Hero Smash Hits (Xbox 360)
- Wii Sports Tennis (Singles)
- GoldenEye (N64)

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
Hey Steve have you checked to make sure the LAN Party isn't WSU students only? I'd hate for guys like Zeton to drive all the way over here and have it turn out to be WSU only

Domo123

Smash Journeyman
does tgis wsu tourney have a pot or prizes or wat? I mean they making us pay so wat do we get?

Bakuhatsu

Smash Apprentice
Ok hosting at 6:30
*Dashes upstairs to finish homework A.S.A.P.*

I'll have to beg my mom to see if she can take me. Gah.. My dad better bring me back something cool from Florida/Rome. -_-

~Nevermind. XD~

Jeez, at this rate, she better give me her car once I turn 16, lmao.

Top Bottom