• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

‍♀️‍♀️‍♀️Official Zelda Video Archive - WIP get in here and post some ZELDA VODS GORLS ‍♀️‍♀️‍♀️

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
I guess I'll join in and contribute with this random Phantom compilation I slapped together. It's not very well put together and isn't meant to be a guide. Just a bit of fun, that will hopefully spark some ideas with those who were having difficulty figuring it out.

D

Deleted member 189823

We should definitely post some cool stuff we pull off here too. A lot easier to show off/explain certain setups/matchups/ledgeguards etc. through video rather than a wall of text. And with the ability to easily convert stuff directly to videos, we should take advantage of that and get some clips up in here!
As much as a good idea that is, chances are I'd end up spamming these and get kick off.

I have a lot of matches from Quickplay Elite uploaded to YouTube if anyone is interested
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeTy6CFR_KIr_DKOmZmKF8w
my guy

I guess I'll join in and contribute with this random Phantom compilation I slapped together. It's not very well put together and isn't meant to be a guide. Just a bit of fun, that will hopefully spark some ideas with those who were having difficulty figuring it out.

I can't compete.

I just remembered that I have my set against Catching Zzs I encountered on Elite the other day, as well as a Simon player. They were better than I remembered, but might not be as sightly for others.

They uploaded in like 5 minutes...

Last edited by a moderator:

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
As much as a good idea that is, chances are I'd end up spamming these and get kick off.
I think if you keep it to videos that will be educational or with/against famous players it should be fine. And people can follow the link to your channel for any other videos.

Regarding your video, the first two don't seem to be working so I only watched the third one. I really like your movement it is very fluid and makes Zelda look really good in addition to confusing your opponent. I think you try to beat your opponent a little too much with your approach though and it makes your play a little inconsistent. You would try to Dair into Wario's Up-Tilt sometimes and his is faster with more range. You have a really good base with your movement, so I would really like to see you use some of her other tools in conjunction.

D

Deleted member 189823

I think if you keep it to videos that will be educational or with/against famous players it should be fine. And people can follow the link to your channel for any other videos.

Regarding your video, the first two don't seem to be working so I only watched the third one. I really like your movement it is very fluid and makes Zelda look really good in addition to confusing your opponent. I think you try to beat your opponent a little too much with your approach though and it makes your play a little inconsistent. You would try to Dair into Wario's Up-Tilt sometimes and his is faster with more range. You have a really good base with your movement, so I would really like to see you use some of her other tools in conjunction.
It's good that you pointed out they're not working, because I fixed that.

As to my play, even though it's been a very short timeframe, I was playing a little different and better at the weekly. I tried fixing a few things, including the addition of incorporating a lot more D-air into my (reasonably applied, not spammed). You'll see me doing a lot of strange U-airs, but that's because I was "practicing" them to get the full hang of the input for forward momentum. I also found myself doing random kicks when they were likely U-airs instead. Part is to blame on wifi, but the lag was fairly minimal so they're worth uploading.

Thanks. I'll try to show people more of how Zelda can move, and that she isn't just a tree log that shoots out slow zoning tools.

Nintendan

Smash Rookie

Some of the stuff here was sick! One thing that stood out to me is how you use Din's with Phantom when they're on the ledge. I've never tried using Din's to cover a certain get up option and normally occupy the ledge with a Phantom behind me. What scenarios do you find Din's to be better in/more useful than sitting at the ledge?

my guy

I can't compete.

I just remembered that I have my set against Catching Zzs I encountered on Elite the other day, as well as a Simon player. They were better than I remembered, but might not be as sightly for others.

They uploaded in like 5 minutes...

These were really fun to watch! I play a lot more defensive, for better and for worse. I'm not very active on the ground, often trying to bait things or just space for a Phantom and try to play off that, which in some matches just ends up not being enough because I get overwhelmed by speed. It's no surprise I struggle super hard vs Palutena and Greninja. Gren is just too fast for me, and Palu is still pretty fast while having side B/neutral B to stop any Phantom setup attempts. This make me have to play closer to her and rely on footsies/approaching which I'm simply just not great at with Zelda. Watching these has made me realise she's a lot faster than I thought.
Also damn I need to seriously practice my dairs when my opponent goes low. I rarely ever hit them, you made it look easy.

By the way, did you know there are down special moves in this game too!? Yep, that's right! Zelda has a down B!
Jokes aside, where dem Phantoms at? I watched all those games and there were situations where I'd charge a Phantom (ofc some of them might not be the right call, still working on that) but as bad as I am, I am pretty confident in saying there were some scenarios where Phantom would've been much a much safer and stronger option.
A couple that come to mind are right at the start of the Simon match. He's sitting there throwing out ftilts with no real movement going on. Get some small distance away from the the whip range and charge a Phantom. He can't punish at that range because his aerial speed sucks, and he could throw Cross but you can react just send in a weaker Phantom to cancel it out. If he doesn't Cross, he basically has to shield or dodge through it. That's free info for you. He was at the ledge here too, so he doesn't have much space to retreat back to. Phantom is strong when they have no retreating option.

At 2:02 in the first match vs Zzs (these 2 were so sick to watch btw) he backs off to the ledge. He did this a lot the two games, dash dancing and waiting for your approach. While he's trying to space safely for a whiff punish, you can likely move in and set up a Phantom. By the time he reacts to it and tries to punish the charge up, you can should likely have enough charge time for an overhead swipe Phantom. If he goes defensive, you can remember that option and threaten to do more Phantom charges when he's just dance dashing and baiting on stage. That mixes him up and doesn't let him move around as he'd like to.

I'll have to throw up some cool matches I have myself (if I ever find/save any).

D

Deleted member 189823

Nintendan Nintendan my Down B button broke

On a serious note, I always mention that I just seem to have some dumb amnesia/plot armour thing where I just never remember to use Phantom, in-game. I legitimately remind myself before, after- sometimes even at the very start of the match, and I never remember during the actual match. Part of it has to do that, ideally, I wouldn't just throw it out in neutral. I would use it a lot more at the ledge. However, I did see some of Ven's latest plays (his last GFs set vs. FOW) and I really liked how he did it. I feel most Zelda's are too static and passive with, and just in general. Ven was more mobile than usual with this time, as well as somewhat aggressive. I especially like how he does things like D-Tilt at the ledge for a possible 2-Frame to Phantom hit, as well as dropdown Nayru's into said hit.

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
Linking this video here for Aussie1024 Aussie1024 and to break up some of this text and keep things relevant to the topic.

Some of the stuff here was sick! One thing that stood out to me is how you use Din's with Phantom when they're on the ledge. I've never tried using Din's to cover a certain get up option and normally occupy the ledge with a Phantom behind me. What scenarios do you find Din's to be better in/more useful than sitting at the ledge?
Anytime a character has good getup options or Zelda is too far away to get there in time. Most of what you saw in that video was using it to force an air-dodge or when the opponent had no more jumps and must Up-B recover. The lag on air-dodges and the buff to the endlag on Din's means you can force and punish air-dodges. For the rest it was simply because I was too far away or needed to cover every option against a character with good getup, like Samus. The Samus part, Phantom was protecting me from projectiles and I was too far away to safely approach. So I just used Din's Fire through the Phantom and then used Phantom to cover any ground getups and used Up-air to punish jump.

The Richter one was simply taking advantage of his poor aerial mobility, while staying clear of his aerials. The next to last one, of that Richter segment, was to discourage jumping and force him to time his neutral getup invincibility to avoid Phantom's slash. I can then take advantage of his poor close up game and use Zelda's good dash attack to knock him off stage and then edgeguard with Din's Fire, taking advantage of his poor recovery. That is how you can use those tools to limit your opponents options and take advantage of any weaknesses.

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
So random question here: does anyone else feel like Zelda's foxtrot is faster than her regular run?

Her initial dash speed is 1.958 and her full run speed is 1.43. That's a pretty big difference; much bigger than past games iirc. I did ask a few people elsewhere already but the only answer I got was a no. However they did say they weren't 100% positive so I'm still curious what others think

If it is truly faster (it feels faster to me at least) then it could be a huge boon for Zelda's general mobility. Just keep in mind that you can't shield or attack as quickly when foxtrot spamming

D

Deleted member 189823

So random question here: does anyone else feel like Zelda's foxtrot is faster than her regular run?

Her initial dash speed is 1.958 and her full run speed is 1.43. That's a pretty big difference; much bigger than past games iirc. I did ask a few people elsewhere already but the only answer I got was a no. However they did say they weren't 100% positive so I'm still curious what others think

If it is truly faster (it feels faster to me at least) then it could be a huge boon for Zelda's general mobility. Just keep in mind that you can't shield or attack as quickly when foxtrot spamming
As someone who never does the "normal" run, someone here said she is 10% faster. Maybe it's a reason why she doesn't feel as slow, for me... but yeah, I'm pretty sure she's actually faster. I just run constantly flicking the stick forward.

I'll watch Stoic's video, later. : D I wanted to see a full video play of his style.

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
It definitely feels faster to me. I use it as an explosive burst, when I want to get somewhere quickly or escape something. I'm not sure why others are saying no, it seems pretty obvious to me, comparing her normal run to her dash. I suppose it could be placebo with the more jerky and quick animation. I suppose I can try to see if I can test it with a stopwatch or something, but it feels much faster to me.

I'll watch Stoic's video, later. : D I wanted to see a full video play of his style.
The ZSS one on my channel, might be more your speed(heh) since you don't like slow Zelda's. It's not as fast as yours, though.

Arwon

Smash Apprentice
Nintendan Nintendan my Down B button broke

On a serious note, I always mention that I just seem to have some dumb amnesia/plot armour thing where I just never remember to use Phantom, in-game. I legitimately remind myself before, after- sometimes even at the very start of the match, and I never remember during the actual match. Part of it has to do that, ideally, I wouldn't just throw it out in neutral. I would use it a lot more at the ledge.
Tonight while ****ing around online with Yoshi I played two decent GSP Zeldas, neither of whom used Phantom at all. I wanted to test Yoshi's air mobility in moving around the Phantom (rather than just chucking eggs at it) but given they didn't use it once, I ended up just baiting Nayru with approaches and Farore with retreats. Bad Zeldas are... very bad, when you know the character well.

Last edited:

Aussie1024

"Stow your fear. It's now or never!"
Switch FC
SW-8059-8133-1521
Linking this video here for Aussie1024 Aussie1024 Aussie1024 Aussie1024 and to break up some of this text and keep things relevant to the topic.
I got around to watching this just now. Thank you very much for linking it to me. I appreciate it. I was able to see what you did with space and also took advantage of whenever he was above you. That helped a lot. I'll try incorporating them into my game and see how I can use it to improve my Zelda. Thank you. Like I said in the social, I'm gonna get some matches uploaded so you and others can see for yourselves what I struggle with.

D

Deleted member 189823

And this next one, ladies and gentlemen, is probably why I never use Phantom. This one's my favourite, and probably the title for my autobiography:

**** this I'm out

Tonight while ****ing around online with Yoshi I played two decent GSP Zeldas, neither of whom used Phantom at all. I wanted to test Yoshi's air mobility in moving around the Phantom (rather than just chucking eggs at it) but given they didn't use it once, I ended up just baiting Nayru with approaches and Farore with retreats. Bad Zeldas are... very bad, when you know the character well.
yeah I'm terrible

Arwon

Smash Apprentice
Nah that video is infinitely better than the predictable Zeldas moving sluggish, relying on like 3 moves, and being super easy to bait. Your post earlier just struck me with how spamming Phantom would have made them a bit trickier to fight.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 189823

Nah that video is infinitely better than the predictable Zeldas moving sluggish, relying on like 3 moves, and being super easy to bait. Your post earlier just struck me with how spamming Phantom would have made them a bit trickier to fight.
I don't like just randomly charging it between matches, unless it's at the ledge or coming back. It just feels I'm giving up a lot of space while doing so...

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
Well, in their defense, Phantom isn't used too often in the Yoshi MU, due to that very mobility. It is still useful and can be used, but kind of really need to know what you are doing. There are a lot of Zeldas online, who don't seem to know what to do, though.

D

Deleted member 189823

I've been meaning to upload a video of my own. The idea is a sort of montage, but there are also a couple of combos and frametraps people can actually apply for themselves. Starting to get hard punishes and even kills off of parries. I am being fairly consistent with stuff like Stomp > Heel and platform Parries.

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
I've been meaning to upload a video of my own. The idea is a sort of montage, but there are also a couple of combos and frametraps people can actually apply for themselves. Starting to get hard punishes and even kills off of parries. I am being fairly consistent with stuff like Stomp > Heel and platform Parries.
Go for it, if you want. I've been thinking about making a sister video to the Phantom one, with Farore's Wind. I feel like it could potentially be overlooked, by Zeldas used to it being slow in the previous games. I'm not quite sure how I'll go about it yet, it's a little more difficult to show it in the proper context than the Phantom one, but I'll see what I can do.

ScottTape

Smash Rookie
How have you all been saving replays and uploading them anywhere? Is there any vanilla way to do it just by saving in-game and accessing somewhere else?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 189823

How have you all been saving replays and uploading them anywhere? Is there any vanilla way to do it just by saving in-game and accessing somewhere else?
Get an SD card MicroSD adapter thing + USB adapter. The game can save actual videos, now.

D

Deleted member 189823

Had a lot of fun with this match. That guy was pretty good, and everything was good bar the clear choke at the end. Never play with a friend annoying you from the back.

warning not a single phantom happened that day. It's probably a trend, at this point. May as well go with it.

ScottTape

Smash Rookie
Had a lot of fun with this match. That guy was pretty good, and everything was good bar the clear choke at the end. Never play with a friend annoying you from the back.

warning not a single phantom happened that day. It's probably a trend, at this point. May as well go with it.
By chance, when you shield, do you do hit it multiple times hoping for parry? Also what’s your main reason for not using Din’s or Phantom? Too slow? Is it MU specific? I tend to use them a little more against Ikes when I run into them.

D

Deleted member 189823

By chance, when you shield, do you do hit it multiple times hoping for parry?
Yeah. Works a lot, for me.

Also what’s your main reason for not using Din’s or Phantom? Too slow? Is it MU specific? I tend to use them a little more against Ikes when I run into them.
Mostly because they're slow, yeah...Din's Fire, anyway. I'd only do Phantom at the ledge, since I dislike giving free space. Ike's can be punishable if you the whiff punish game.

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
Pretty decent match. I guess Ike can slow, even the great and speedy Oz.:secretkpop:

All jokes aside though, you handled being up close pretty well. There are a couple things I want to mention.

That Up-Tilt combo towards the beginning, would have worked better with Up-air, instead of Nair. I find it difficult to combo anything else at +30%. Up-air isn't guaranteed, but works quite often I find.

If you hit him from the back, Ike's/Chrom's Up-B recovery can be edgeguarded with Nayru's Love. It's not a very strong stage spike, but can surprise them and repeated edgeguards will make it impossible to return entirely. Hitting them or anyone at an angle, will spike them diagonally, making it really hard to make it back to the ledge. I'm not sure what causes it yet, but you can also make them face the other way with Nayru's spin, forcing them to B-reverse in order to grab the ledge. I think you have to hit them at a specific point, but I don't know what it is yet.

Aussie1024

Switch FC
SW-8059-8133-1521
Hey guys. I got around to uploading some of my Zelda play onto YouTube today. I'm providing a link of my playlist here. If you have the time to watch them and critique my play, that would be greatly appreciated. I'm still relatively new to the character and her play style so any feedback would help me a lot. There are five videos and in total last about 20 minutes long.

I will admit that I was pretty nervous while playing these. I wanted to make a good impression for you all but I let nerves get the better of me here. It affected a lot of my decisions. If I'm being honest, there were times in these battles when I forgot how to use Zelda. So if you're wondering why the play here is less than subpar (at least IMO), then that's why. Maybe next time I upload replays so the nerves aren't as detrimental to my play.

Thanks everyone.

Link - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXMaQ_Bq-xcBN9GM2h7Y2xTDRYB_KNupA

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 189823

Hey guys. I got around to uploading some of my Zelda play onto YouTube today. I'm providing a link of my playlist here. If you have the time to watch them and critique my play, that would be greatly appreciated. I'm still relatively new to the character and her play style so any feedback would help me a lot. There are five videos and in total last about 20 minutes long.

I will admit that I was pretty nervous while playing these. I wanted to make a good impression for you all but I let nerves get the better of me here. It affected a lot of my decisions. If I'm being honest, there were times in these battles when I forgot how to use Zelda. So if you're wondering why the play here is less than subpar (at least IMO), then that's why. Maybe next time I upload replays so the nerves aren't as detrimental to my play.

Thanks everyone.

I'll take a look at them and let you know. And while this is fairly obvious, I know what it's like to feel the preassure that you need to give off a certain impression. It's some of the worst you can do, and it's still something I'm struggling with. A lot of the time, I would lose to certain top players because they're "supposed" to be better, and especially on stream. This is one of the reasons I'm trying to learn stuff like meditation, which is there to help clear your mind. Ideally, it's just you, your opponent and the game at hand.

Bad timing on my part. I wanted to upload some of the offline matches I had, the other day:

Cheers, to missing every single one of my grab follow-ups, U-airs and Kicks. I sucked at those, that day.

Downshift

Smash Journeyman

Thanks everyone.

About that Ness match...
I have quite a bit of experience against Ness, and one thing that helps me out a ton in that match up is Nayru.

Not only can it be used to deflect that pesky PK Thunder when they're trying to snipe you off stage or juggle with it, it works well against PK Fire spam as well. Even if you get hit and caught in the flames, just keep mashing B. Almost all of the time Zelda will get off one Nayru which will nullify the rest of the Fire, but also hit Ness as he rushes in for the grab or bat. It completely negates the entire point of using PK Fire in most cases since they can't get more than a little damage before you Nayru, and they're the ones that end up taking damage instead of them getting the follow up off of it. That is of course, if you don't just reflect it back directly and get your own follow up. It really seems to turn the tables on the risk/reward of their most spammed tool. I love it.

I also like to mix up Din's, Phantom and Farore when he keeps trying to absorb Din's with PSI Magnet. Makes him guess whether I'm going to throw a Din's at him that he can absorb, or if I'm going to Farore into him in which case he needs to shield/jump instead. I can often bait out the PSI Magnet and then teleport right into his face. Phantom throws him off also since Ness's always think they can bat the Phantom back at Zelda without getting punished by a Farore into the bat's ending lag, or Nayru double-reflecting the Phantom back at them.

Maybe I'm just playing bad Ness mains, but it really seems like Zelda wins the Special Moves contest here, and can still go toe to toe with Ness's normals.

Aussie1024

Switch FC
SW-8059-8133-1521
Ideally, it's just you, your opponent and the game at hand.
I appreciate the advice. It'll take me a few recording sessions to get comfortable with playing in front of an audience. All my life, I always wanted to give off a solid impression to people in things like video games. I love showing people my skill in video games, hence the people-pleasing aspect I said earlier. When I don't do good (which happens most of the time with this mindset), I get upset because I don't perform to my expectations. It's a bad habit I need to drop because it's not worth worrying about. Just enjoy the game in front of you and don't worry about how people see you, regardless of your performance.

Maybe I'm just playing bad Ness mains, but it really seems like Zelda wins the Special Moves contest here, and can still go toe to toe with Ness's normals.
Thanks for the feedback. I didn't really use my specials too much in that match. It probably also has to deal with how my anxiety made me forget most of her moves and their uses. That was a match I really panicked in because of the nerves, and I was also very intimidated by his PK Fire and other specials. I'm hoping using Nayru whenever a Ness throws a PK Fire or Thunder doesn't get too predictable. I feel like Ness would adapt in some way. I don't know your experience with it, but at least for me, they would probably find a way to adapt to what I'm doing.

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
Yeah that Ness wasn't really spamming PK Fire like a lot of the bad ones do, and was more focusing on the disjointed aerials, so that's always going to be tough. The main takeaway is to just start mashing B if you do get hit by PK Fire. It cuts down the damage you take and stuff's Ness's follow up approach for grabs, etc. Once you do that a few times you'll see that PK Fire isn't as much of a threat to Zelda, even if you're hit by it, and that should help the nerves hopefully.
The Ness probably will try other things instead, but Zelda has tricks too. I had a Ness instead try to follow PK Fire with a PK Flash to hit me as Nayru ended, but I instead just Farore'd into him. Once the fear of PK Fire is gone, it'll be easier to focus on taking on Ness's disjointed normals and safe aerials. Not saying it'll be easy, but I hope it helps.

Aussie1024

Switch FC
SW-8059-8133-1521
Yeah the damage from repeated PK Fire's adds up as the match goes along, regardless of the stock you're on. Plus it's quite the combo starter from a grab like the match documented. Hopefully some smart Nayru use can limit that threat. His aerials were pretty hard to read as well. The nerves will probably subside once I get used to recording and not worry about what others will think about my play. We all start somewhere, and I need to understand that.

Using Farore while he's using PK Flash is an interesting nuance. I'll give that a try next time I face one. He definitely isn't an easy character to face, but learning little things like this could go a long way. I appreciate the help you gave, and I hope I can learn to apply it to the MU.

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
I will admit that I was pretty nervous while playing these. I wanted to make a good impression for you all but I let nerves get the better of me here.
If it bothers you that much, try recording matches you like over a period of time and then upload your best ones. Even with cherry picking, any fundamental flaws you have will still show up. That way you might feel a little less nervous.

I don't have a whole lot to add here, to be honest. Your mostly on the right track, just need more refinement. However there are still some things that will still help.

Use your out of shield options more. There were some moments you got a parry or shielded an unsafe attack, but didn't do much. Up-B OoS has a large hitbox, so take advantage of that. Fair/Bair works really well, when they are in the right position. OoS works well on characters who spam aerials a lot. Just be sure to time it appropriately for each type of attack and identify which moves are too safe, for which OoS option. Oz's videos have a lot of good highlights on how devastating Zelda's OoS options can be.

Use Phantom more on camping opponents. The opponents you were playing were a little impatient, so dash dancing in place works for now, but higher level opponents will be more patient, especially if they have the lead. If they are more than half a stage away like in some of those videos, don't be afraid to start charging one and see what they do. If they take to the air release the overhead slash, if they charge across the ground go for the horizontal slash or lower charges. It won't work as well on Mewtwo, due to his ridiculous dash attack, but should work fine on Bowser. You can charge Phantom while in the air. so hopping back while charging can give you some time and space.

You were a little too aggressive on the Ness video at times. Ness will outspeed Zelda up close, so hang back a little and space her disjoints. He has to land sometime, so time any approaches with his landing. His Fair is a little hard to beat otherwise.

Your recovery is still pretty rough. It is one of the best, so mastering it is essential. If you are having difficulty hitting the side and diagonal, don't be afraid to DI more under the ledge and recover low. Zelda can go pretty low, before being too far away. Few characters can successfully spike Farore's Wind and fewer players now how to properly do so. If need be, you can hold Up-B to have the hitbox come out instead of immediately snapping to the ledge. That can be helpful on players trying to 2 frame at the ledge.

You can sometimes let your opponent recover high a little too freely. This was especially apparent in the Peach video. The timing is tricky and will take some practice to get it right, but Up-air is pretty safe, so even if you miss, you can at least fluster them a little. If they start immediately recovering high like that, charge Phantom so that it is covering center stage, rather than uselessly going off stage and having your opponent sail over it. If Phantom covers the stage, then you're free to harass with Up-air. If they try to DI back off stage you can chase with Fair, Nayru's Love or even Dair. Even if you miss Up-air and they successfully DI off stage or to the ledge, you still have them in a bad position.

You mostly just need to refine what you already have and gain more MU experience.

Cheers, to missing every single one of my grab follow-ups, U-airs and Kicks. I sucked at those, that day.
You still did really well in those videos. That poor Little Mac had no idea what to do.

Aussie1024

Switch FC
SW-8059-8133-1521
First off S StoicPhantom , I apologize for not getting back to you earlier today. I had my internship from 10-3 so I wasn't able to completely analyze your comments before I left. Now that I'm home, I can break it down in full. I appreciate you taking the time to watch my videos and give me an honest critique of what I can do better.

If it bothers you that much, try recording matches you like over a period of time and then upload your best ones. Even with cherry picking, any fundamental flaws you have will still show up. That way you might feel a little less nervous.
That would probably be a better idea. I hope to record 5-7 matches in a session as one video (with edits that cut out the in-between stuff). Since it was the first time recording anything for YouTube, I didn't really know how to go about doing it. Like playing with recording, I know it'll get better with experience.

Use your out of shield options more.
Yeah that was a struggle in these videos. I had a hard time landing Farore's with the elevator kill because I simply mistimed the range. I think my anxiety had something to do with not landing the LK's well. I feel like I forgot I had that times tbh. I'll check out Oz's vids and see what he did.

Use Phantom more on camping opponents.
I got really flustered in these videos and didn't use Phantom as often and effectively as I would have liked. I feel like I'm still trying to figure out how to use it to the best of its potential. Sometimes I just use it for the heck of it and not have a distinct plan for it. It has its uses for offensive viability, pressure, and keeping Zelda safe from projectiles. I think with time and some pointers I'll get the hang of it.

You were a little too aggressive on the Ness video at times.
Out of the five I uploaded, this was the one I got most annoyed with. The PK Fire spams got me panicking. His PK Thunder uses kept me guessing. That was the match I felt most braindead in and completely forgot how to use her. That was a frustrating one.

Your recovery is still pretty rough.
There were plenty of times were nerves got the better of me and I used recovery wrong. It got me frustrated. I'm trying to figure out how I can Farore diagonally when I'm on the ledge. I didn't even know you could hold B to have the hitbox come out. I'll need to work on that.

You can sometimes let your opponent recover high a little too freely.
I've struggled to edge-guard solidly in my whole time with Smash. This is the first game I'm trying to improve and work on it. I feel like I've made progress in some areas but it's still a process for me.

You mostly just need to refine what you already have and gain more MU experience.
Thanks I appreciate that. I was anxious posting these on here and thinking I was gonna get quite the lectures concerning my play. I felt like I played pretty terribly. I thought I wasn't gonna get much feedback on any good things I may have done.

All in all, thanks very much for the feedback. I hope I can take these tips and apply them to my play going forward. It's not gonna be done overnight, but hopefully over a period of time I'll see improvement.

Nintendan

Smash Rookie
HOLD MY ALMOND MILK I SAID

YOOOO WHAT THE ACTUAL **** okay this is epic

This was actually so hype to watch, trying so hard to not look stupid at work right now!! Literally as I was watching this I was making mental notes of clips that were sick but there's wayyy to many to actually list them.
That said, I still HAVE to mention the Pichu one at 0:49, K Rool at 1:30 and basically that entire (cutely edited) section of parry > dair > kick.

That Pichu one was just a nice string, but the K Rool one (another clip with ZSS too) was quite impressive because Up B has a much different amount of knockback than grounded Up B. I can barely get this damn move to work. Have started using it on stage vs projectiles though. It's going well, but literally 0 punishes OR followups like you're showing here. There is actually so much more to this move for me to mess and learn with. I think I am really sleeping on how many insane possibilities this move brings to the table. It's so fast and so strong. I think this is probably Zelda's #1 move that will be the hardest to master.

As for dair, I've not used it much OoS/parry much at all, I just kinda autopilot to fmash or kick. It's a insanely good kill confirm I should get into doing more. Regarding your dair usage, do you use it much outside of parry/OoS and edgeguarding? I've kinda noticed I fish for it in neutral sometimes rather than just saving it in the back pocket for a punish which I think is the better way to use it (and bruh parry > plat drop >dair is disgusting, I'm so stealing that)

And just for the memes, I play "Spot Oz's Phantom" while watching.
Grand Total: 0 ;)
I would say use Phantom more but I feel honestly you'd just miss out on a lot of these insane plays. I never knew Zelda could be so aggressive like this rather than being a bit slower and more wall/space-y oriented with Phantom and Din's. For you, I feel like the best thing you'll get from Phantom is just conditioning people.

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
First off S StoicPhantom , I apologize for not getting back to you earlier today.
No rush, take your time. It's not like it didn't take me a while to comment.
I got really flustered in these videos and didn't use Phantom as often and effectively as I would have liked. I feel like I'm still trying to figure out how to use it to the best of its potential. Sometimes I just use it for the heck of it and not have a distinct plan for it.
It's broad, very MU dependent, and situational, so it will take a while to fully understand, even it's basics. Try thinking of it as an extension of Zelda, so anytime you can't conveniently or safely engage, use the Phantom. Use it to hit opponents offstage above the ledge, where it might normally be difficult or unsafe to chase. Overhead slash is good for both that scenario and for catching jumps to the platform in neutral or aerial approaches.

Basically mix and match the various charge states, with the position your opponent is currently at or going to be. If they are camping waiting for you to approach, it will force them in the air and make them come to you or in shield, which can lead to easier approaches. Using the fully charged version when they are getting up from the ledge, will help cover lots of getup options and you are then free to cover the rest.

Of course it will depend on the attributes of your opponent and what tools they have to counter it. Characters with high jumps will be able to hop over it with ease and still be relatively safe and characters with counters will make it so you can't spam it in neutral. Learning what will work with what character and at what distance, is part of learning Phantom, so get as many varied experiences as possible.

If need be, practice on the cpu to get the feel for it and experiment with the range and timing. It is of course not at all like fighting a human, but sometimes it can be good to just experiment in a match that you won't feel any shame or pressure losing.
Out of the five I uploaded, this was the one I got most annoyed with. The PK Fire spams got me panicking. His PK Thunder uses kept me guessing. That was the match I felt most braindead in and completely forgot how to use her. That was a frustrating one.
Keeping a cool head is especially important against projectiles, since they're designed to force you to do something and annoy you. Reflecting it is an option, but you can use an aerial Phantom as a mix-up. Simply hop over the projectile(in place) and start charging Phantom in the air. Before the next projectile reaches you, release the Phantom and it should hopefully block the projectile, while hitting the user. It won't work on all of them, but is an option and I think should work on Ness. A couple times of doing that, should make them go easy on the spam.
There were plenty of times were nerves got the better of me and I used recovery wrong. It got me frustrated. I'm trying to figure out how I can Farore diagonally when I'm on the ledge. I didn't even know you could hold B to have the hitbox come out. I'll need to work on that.
Just make sure you do it at a distance, that will have you just snapping to the ledge. If you do it too close, you'll over shoot it and be wide open. Ideally you will instantly grab the ledge after the move ends. Don't worry too much offstage and just focus on the making the right input. Unless you are above the ledge, very few players will ever try to challenge you offstage, so take your time. I like to just DI under the ledge and recover low most of the time. I generally only recover diagonally if I'm pressured.
I've struggled to edge-guard solidly in my whole time with Smash. This is the first game I'm trying to improve and work on it. I feel like I've made progress in some areas but it's still a process for me.
Just try to separate it into sections. Above the ledge, Phantom, Din's Fire, Up-air. Below the ledge, Dair, Nayru's Love, Fair/Bair. A lot of it is going to be character specific, so learn MUs and their various recovery options. If they are recovering high, you can harass with Din's, then switch to Up-air if they make it through.

The key to timing Up-air is reading their DI. Most people are going to keep DIing towards the stage, hoping you'll miss, so plant the Up-air where they are going to be, not where they are currently at. Even if you miss, you'll still be close enough to punish any air-dodges, instead of missing and have them sail out of your reach.

Low recoveries can be spiked with Dair and if they can't, can be stage spiked with Fair/Bair or Nayru's Love. If you are not confident in your timing or if their recovery isn't Dair spikeable, Nayru's Love is an ok spike. In most cases you won't get much, but it can be powerful against recoveries with bad horizontal movement. Hitting the points of the diamond will hit them in that direction and hitting the sides will hit them diagonally. If you hit them with the upper sides, it will stage spike them diagonally and make even decent recoveries sweat a little.
Thanks I appreciate that. I was anxious posting these on here and thinking I was gonna get quite the lectures concerning my play. I felt like I played pretty terribly. I thought I wasn't gonna get much feedback on any good things I may have done.

All in all, thanks very much for the feedback. I hope I can take these tips and apply them to my play going forward. It's not gonna be done overnight, but hopefully over a period of time I'll see improvement.
No problem. The criticism here should be constructive and if it's not, then just ignore it or take it in stride. This place is primarily for learning and has all sorts of skill levels, so don't worry too much about people judging you.

I would say use Phantom more but I feel honestly you'd just miss out on a lot of these insane plays. I never knew Zelda could be so aggressive like this rather than being a bit slower and more wall/space-y oriented with Phantom and Din's. For you, I feel like the best thing you'll get from Phantom is just conditioning people.
It will help in some MUs he struggles with, like the Belmonts or Little Mac, but I think he'll be just fine without it in most MUs.

Aussie1024

Switch FC
SW-8059-8133-1521
HOLD MY ALMOND MILK I SAID

Wow, just wow. Teach me your ways.

It's broad, very MU dependent, and situational, so it will take a while to fully understand, even it's basics.
Yeah that's what I've gathered from using it. Especially because Zelda plays a style I'm not totally used to, so there's an extra learning curve to that along with learning Phantom's advanced mechanics. I'll try working on it against CPU's and figure out how to use it in smarter methods.

Keeping a cool head is especially important against projectiles, since they're designed to force you to do something and annoy you
It is important to stay cool under pressure. If you get frustrated by them easily you're gonna be vulnerable to what the opponent has planned for them. I was recommended on here to use Nayru, but an aerial Phantom would work too for good pressure and countering.

Just make sure you do it at a distance, that will have you just snapping to the ledge.
Ideally I like to recover low as well and just grab the ledge. I've only really done that when I'm parallel to the ledge or just below it. Doing it above and diagonally it is a different story. It'll just take practice though.

Just try to separate it into sections.
Thanks that's a much easier way of looking at it. I have a hard time exactly reading how my opponent works off-stage, so I just throw them whatever I think could work for that situation (Phantom, Din's), without thinking what could work best for that situation. I also have a bit of an issue with timing spikes in general. Like anything, it requires practice. But timing the input is really hard for me.

The criticism here should be constructive and if it's not, then just ignore it or take it in stride.
Sorry I didn't mean to come off that way. I do see the criticism here as constructive and I appreciate it all. I wanna take it all in and see how I can improve as a result of it. I guess I'm feeling down because it seems like I'm many steps behind a lot of people on here and have a lot of catching up to do. I know I'm still relatively new to Zelda. I should realize that I'm still learning the character and her intricacies. It's the perfectionist in me being harder on myself then necessary.

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
Thanks that's a much easier way of looking at it. I have a hard time exactly reading how my opponent works off-stage, so I just throw them whatever I think could work for that situation (Phantom, Din's), without thinking what could work best for that situation. I also have a bit of an issue with timing spikes in general. Like anything, it requires practice. But timing the input is really hard for me.
Spiking with Dair, is nigh impossible in this game, so don't worry too much about not hitting it. I just mentioned it as an option, but unless you are really good with it, you likely won't be hitting it outside of Link or Ganon. Use it on slower recoveries without a huge disjoint above them, like the aforementioned. It can be done on quicker ones like Inkling, but is incredibly difficult to do so or at least hit the sweet-spot.
Sorry I didn't mean to come off that way. I do see the criticism here as constructive and I appreciate it all. I wanna take it all in and see how I can improve as a result of it.
Oh sorry, I didn't mean to imply you weren't. I was meaning any future criticism by posters not me or anyone that has given you constructive feedback.
I guess I'm feeling down because it seems like I'm many steps behind a lot of people on here and have a lot of catching up to do. I know I'm still relatively new to Zelda. I should realize that I'm still learning the character and her intricacies. It's the perfectionist in me being harder on myself then necessary.
Some of us have been playing way too much since day one or have played Zelda in previous games or both(me lol). I wouldn't really use the better players here, as a measuring stick of where you are supposed to be. And compared to someone like Ven, who can go toe-to-toe with Void's Pichu, us more experienced players here, are still far behind. As I mentioned before, you have a framework going, just need more practice to refine it. I myself don't feel like I have fully grasped everything she has to offer and am now finding new things with Nayru's Love I didn't know before and am working on more advanced forms of Phantom.

And while perfectionism is harmful and self-destructive, at the same time it can't really be denied it produces some good results sometimes lol. Try to find a balance between being hard working and being too hard on yourself.

Top Bottom