• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~§~ Puerto Rico: Land of overlooked accomplishments ~§~

joe%

Smash Apprentice
Im glad that things a strait now and im sorry if i disturd any of u guys by saying what i said earlier but hey i just didnt whant to have a bad reputation when i really didnt do nothing but changing the subject somebody around here in bayamon is planning a tourney i dont know when but i would like to know if u guys would like to come down here and be in it .... it would be a blast but hey i had alot of fun and i didnt get to fight maximus, HDL and doji but still i had fun... about the place i really didnt care i just whanted to play against u people it really dont matter i just whanted to have fun thats all u know we should get together one day and go to a tourney in some other country so that we can represent P.R u know it would be fun but i dont know lets see what happends so peace out .

Kmahhl

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, congratulations to everyone who went to the tournament, I heard it was a great event.
Unfortunately I couldn't because of the location same as ATH, Blaze and Marx, we wanted to go but
we'll meet you guys at the next tourney, you can count on that.

Oh and About the Tournament being planned in the west, I would like to hear more
Note: There was like 40(80 smashers) teams at the San Paticio tournament
Just think about it. Tourneys at the west coast will probably atract a lot more of people.

Uriel Vinellus

Smash Ace
Kmahhl said:
Hey guys, congratulations to everyone who went to the tournament, I heard it was a great event.
Unfortunately I couldn't because of the location same as ATH, Blaze and Marx, we wanted to go but

Oh and About the Tournament being planned in the west, I would like to hear more
Just think about it. Tourneys at the west coast will probably atract a lot more of people.
You mean East. And yes a tournament here on the East could attract over 100 players and if you add West ( RUM) you would have the biggest tournament ever.

WIPE$$$

Smash Journeyman
Kmahhl said:
from what i have heard, the san patricio tourney didn't go well because the hd moniter lagged on the gc's graphics. you would need a progressive scan cable which can only be found in the Nintendo store in New York, the Nintendo Online Store, and EBAY. it costs like $30 though.

edit: Nintendo discontinued it, they said you can buy one in pawn shops, EB Games and Gamestop (if you are lucky), garage sales, in other words, the most obvious places where you buy old products. if you plan on going to amazon or ebay, make sure that:

you shop only within your country. It's harder to investigate and/or settle a claim if the product was purchased from far away. To help determine this, you can do a whois search (www.allwhois.com) to find out the administrative/billing address.

You should check the auction site's reputation at www.consumer.gov, www.bbb.com, or www.naag.org/ag/full_ag_table.php to see what complaints have been registered.

As a general rule of thumb, online stores, those that sell new products, are often more trustworthy than pure auction sites. In other words, if the retailer operates both a standard retail and an auction site, they are often more trustworthy products.

Retailers who operate auction sites also often have links back to their main site. This can also be used as an indicator of reliability. If there is no connection, it is a good idea to qquestion the integrity of the site.

Boricua316

Smash Apprentice
Kmahhl said:

Yea that was exacly my point... i know there a lot of smashers in this part of puerto rico thats why me , falo, eotg and joe% planned on doing this ...ill be cheking where can we host the tourny this week. stay tuned for updates

Boricua316

Smash Apprentice
WIPE$$$ said:
from what i have heard, the san patricio tourney didn't go well because the hd moniter lagged on the gc's graphics. you would need a progressive scan cable which can only be found in the Nintendo store in New York, the Nintendo Online Store, and EBAY. it costs like $30 though.

edit: Nintendo discontinued it, they said you can buy one in pawn shops, EB Games and Gamestop (if you are lucky), garage sales, in other words, the most obvious places where you buy old products. if you plan on going to amazon or ebay, make sure that:

you shop only within your country. It's harder to investigate and/or settle a claim if the product was purchased from far away. To help determine this, you can do a whois search (www.allwhois.com) to find out the administrative/billing address.

You should check the auction site's reputation at www.consumer.gov, www.bbb.com, or www.naag.org/ag/full_ag_table.php to see what complaints have been registered.

As a general rule of thumb, online stores, those that sell new products, are often more trustworthy than pure auction sites. In other words, if the retailer operates both a standard retail and an auction site, they are often more trustworthy products.

Retailers who operate auction sites also often have links back to their main site. This can also be used as an indicator of reliability. If there is no connection, it is a good idea to qquestion the integrity of the site.

Lol that tourny wasnt a mayor disaster... but yea it sucked cuz there where over 80 smashers in such a small place... and u had to wait a long time for your matches

joe%

Smash Apprentice
Hey People Im Trying To Find A Place Where We Can Do The Tourney Its Gottta Be Big So I Think I Have Something In Mind And U People May Like It... The Place Its Like 3 Time Bigger Than The Place From Rum&smash2 No Offence Maximus Im Just Putiing An Example But If I Get That Place It S Gonna Be Good And We Will Have Alot Of Space For More Matches So Let Me Se If I Can That Place.. Sooo Wish Me Luck Guys.

Dojima

Smash Ace
Uriel Vinellus said:
You mean East. And yes a tournament here on the East could attract over 100 players and if you add West ( RUM) you would have the biggest tournament ever.
I'm all for the east tournament and I will attend if I am able to. Iwant to add one thing about the quantity of people. I'm not just referring to the San patricio Tournament I will also say the same for the Ponce one (I'm from Ponce). More people is better, but sometimes is better to think more of quantity vs quality, i'm not really sure about the San Patricio one but I'm sure know from both of the Ponce tournaments I have been. I rather have a small tournament with good people than a huge tournament(composed only of Fox and marth on Hyrule Temple) with a lot of bad people and emo **** complaining that edgehog is cheap.

Wolf E. Urameshi

Smash Journeyman
Sorry to hear about your game, HDL. I just heard about it *figures. Stupid figure of speech known as lack of time.* and it's bad.

Anyways... *sigh* If only there was a Smash Bros. tourney in Lares or Arecibo... I see that pic and I want to cry.

Uriel Vinellus

Smash Ace
Dojima said:
I'm all for the east tournament and I will attend if I am able to. Iwant to add one thing about the quantity of people. I'm not just referring to the San patricio Tournament I will also say the same for the Ponce one (I'm from Ponce). More people is better, but sometimes is better to think more of quantity vs quality, i'm not really sure about the San Patricio one but I'm sure know from both of the Ponce tournaments I have been. I rather have a small tournament with good people than a huge tournament(composed only of Fox and marth on Hyrule Temple) with a lot of bad people and emo **** complaining that edgehog is cheap.
Complaints can be ignored just play your best. They must abide to our rules MLG format. The more the people the bigger our community isn't that better?

Bubbleman_Nsider

Smash Ace
NNID
Bubbleman
3DS FC
1075-0749-7452
Wolf E. Urameshi said:
Sorry to hear about your game, HDL. I just heard about it *figures. Stupid figure of speech known as lack of time.* and it's bad.

Anyways... *sigh* If only there was a Smash Bros. tourney in Lares or Arecibo... I see that pic and I want to cry.
You're not the only one who would want a tournament this near.
I can't drive to places like Mayaguez, and going to Bayamon is a common thing I have to do on certain saturdays now.

joe%

Smash Apprentice
Dojima said:

Its true what u say but remember that theres gonna be always somebody who whants to talk s*** but hey the best thing u can do about that its just to ignore them cause if u expect to go to a melee tournament people will do anything to win and people just cant complain about it cause if ur not there to give it ur best and have fun then dont be there and start complaining about crap but hey ill give u guys some more info if i get the place ...............peace out.

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
THANX FOR THE COMPLIMENTS MIZU AND HDL!

Doji and Joe% what happened to the money match?
It doesn't has to be $100 (just to think of it gives me a pain in my pocket)

I agree with a smash tourney in the east side, So we can meet new people and teach some noobs how to play.(like it happened to me when I went to a smashfest at B4K4's for the 1st time.)

The MLG rules are pretty fair and if they complaint they'll lose before they know it.
SanPatricio's tourney sucked, sometimes the TV's turned off during matches.
I was there for like 5hrs and fought like 6 fights.

I was really nervous this last tourney but I think I'll do better in the next smashing activities.

...................later

WIPE$$$

Smash Journeyman
krazyzyko said:
SanPatricio's tourney sucked, sometimes the TV's turned off during matches.
I was there for like 5hrs and fought like 6 fights.

...................later
x-box fanboys turn off tvs to get major revenge on gamecube playing *****es. :nerd:
no offense xyhthnx.

joe%

Smash Apprentice
Hey People I Got The Place But I Got It For May 20 So For Now Thats The Date For The Tourney But Im Gonna Try To See If I Can Get iT Sonner But Till Now Thats The Date Ummm Ill Fill In In Some Other Stuff Tomorrow Cause I Gtg To Work So Peace Out And Feel Free To Coment About Anything I Need To Know What U People Think.

HDL

I like pork chops.
BRoomer
There is already another tournament being planned so you may want to leave that as May 20th.

Essence_of_the_Gods

Smash Journeyman
Already another one?!?!?!?

I need 3 months to recover from the 3 hours of the trip to the last one... :p
Did you say that on the 25th? Since we left early to go home i don't know if that was discussed.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the vids which are still missing in action :(

Vain

Smash Journeyman
The East is Burning Red!!

It'll be nice to visit the East for the next tourney, count me in for it :)
Dunno how many will be willing to hitch are ride and help with the gas though =O

WIPE$$$

Smash Journeyman
:urg:
Vain said:
It'll be nice to visit the East for the next tourney, count me in for it :)
Dunno how many will be willing to hitch are ride and help with the gas though =O
how high is it in the eastern region?

joe%

Smash Apprentice
Well Then The Tourney In The EastSIDE
Will Be On May 20 So People Start Making Apointments So U Can Come To This Tourney Cause The Place Its Kinda Big And I Would Like To Have Lots Of People In There Since Its Our First Tourney Here To Us Eastsiders..... I Dont Have A Name For The Tourney Yet But Soon About The Rules Im Not Gonna Change Anything So Its Gonna Be The Same Rules From Sum&smash2 Cause We Have Been Playing With Those Rules For Alot Of Time And Im Just Gonna Leave It How It Is And Its Gonna Be ....

Singles - $10
Teams - $10 Per Person

And If It Doesnt Bother U People For The First Time I Would Like To Have A Eastsides & Westside Battle But What Do U Guys Think?

I Will Give Some More Info Later On So If U Have Any Question Feel Free To Ask.

Boricua316

Smash Apprentice
East side tourny updates

EASTSIDE PRESENTS THE ALLSTAR SMASH TOURNAMENT HOSTED BY JOE% AND YUCA

Date: May 20 2006

Hey guyz just stopping by to say thats the name we chose for the tournament, im currenty in the process of making the flyers and map for the location of the place... if anyone has any question or doubts plz contact me or joe .
my msn is picuca78@hotmail.com and my phone number is 787-464-8043

Joes is puertoman824@hotmail.com and his phone number is 787-408-9069

oh and another thing i need to start getting feed backs on who can help us bringing tvs and gamecubes..

thank u guyz pce

Bubbleman_Nsider

Smash Ace
NNID
Bubbleman
3DS FC
1075-0749-7452
@JOE%
So, it's currently on may 20th, in Bayamon right? But where in bayamon?
I can also bring my asistance by making sig add-ons, even though the ones I made last time sucked a lot, but anyways, I look forward to this one.

joe%

Smash Apprentice
Bubbleman_Nsider said:
@JOE%
I can also bring my asistance by making sig add-ons, even though the ones I made last time sucked a lot, but anyways, I look forward to this one.

OK ill contact u then

Boricua316

Smash Apprentice
Bubbleman_Nsider said:
@JOE%

Yea i need help with that man ... u know where to find me

pce

Kmahhl

Smash Journeyman
I'm really glad about this and I hope u guyz can pull this off.

You can count on my assistance as well as my GC, and memory to play

I can't bring TV but if anyone can post it so they can make a list of the things available for the tourny, TV's are very important

HDL

I like pork chops.
BRoomer
Vain said:
No offense man, not to sound rude, but that’s completely inconsiderate. How can you even think of charging people for gas money for them to get a ride with you? Unless you go well out of your way to pick someone up (example: spending 20 minutes coming to my house just to go the opposite direction), then I don’t think it’s fair to ask people for money for YOUR car. If they are just a few minutes detour or if they are on the way (no detour), then it’s not right to ask people to give you money “for your services.” I wish people these days would not offer to do favors only if they get something in return.

Dojima

Smash Ace
Lord HDL said:
No offense man, not to sound rude, but that’s completely inconsiderate. How can you even think of charging people for gas money for them to get a ride with you? Unless you go well out of your way to pick someone up (example: spending 20 minutes coming to my house just to go the opposite direction), then I don’t think it’s fair to ask people for money for YOUR car. If they are just a few minutes detour or if they are on the way (no detour), then it’s not right to ask people to give you money “for your services.” I wish people these days would not offer to do favors only if they get something in return.

HI I AM DOJI, FOUNDER AND CEO OF THE SMASH BROTHERS DRINKING GAME. I AM VERY APALLED BY VAIN’S DEBAUCHED DEPRAVED EXERTION OF HAVING NO CONTRITION TO DEMAND FOR LUCRE FOR THE EMPLOYMENT OF HIS PETROLEUM CONSUMEING MEDIUM OF TRANSPORTATION. ON THE OTHER HAND I WOULD HOPE FOR YOUR HELP ON THE ANALOGOUS INTENT OF SUSTAINING MY FORAY TO OC2. I ASK FOR THIS IN A DIFFIDENT WAY, FOR I AM VERY HUMBLE. I GUARANTEE IT.

Vain

Smash Journeyman
Gas Money For OC2 Pliz

Lord HDL said:
See, it works like this, If I take my car I'll be spending around 20 bucks on gas for the trip + the 20 for the tournament, that's 40 bucks right off the bat + food expenses, there seems to be a bit of trouble right there.
I'm not rich, I have this really sucky 2 day in a month Army reserves drill which gives me a measle allowance.
If I were to drive it alone, I'd be spending a whole bunch of money which is not something I can take the luxury on doing, hence why I asked that. I could simply just not bring my car and get on one of my friends car and HELP them with gas, which I would since I'm not a F-R-E-E-L-O-A-D-E-R. Also, taking my car means I don't drive home for the weekend and stay at college friday and saturday morning, which DOES mean I'm going out of my way. All in all, if you're getting a ride it means you had no ride and you weren't going in the first place, so the least you can do is help with the gas.
So I apologize to those I offended by asking for a little help with the gas money, I'm sure you'd do much better by helping Doji get to OC2 with the gas money.

HHH

Smash Cadet
Lord HDL said:
Wow. The point of "getting a ride" is not to get a free ride somewhere. The point is that this person is giving you transportation to somewhere you want to go, and they are spending their own gas to get you there, regardless if they are going there too, it is considered good manners to at least provide half of the gas money. Getting a completely free ride is as Vain said, freeloading. No offense (hehe) but I don't see why you can't provide a person who is doing you a favor with some compensation (and still they're not even getting profit, you are helping with expenses) especially since you (HDL) will most likely win some cash at the tournament. So you go home with your cash prizes and your ride goes back broke from spending gas to get there. Awesome.

HDL

I like pork chops.
BRoomer
The extra bits of details made sense. But the spite was not necessary. This is exactly why there is tension between our community. No one talks about it, but it’s there, and it surfaces whenever someone tries to spite someone else or otherwise say something with some aggression/offense. If this keeps up it could spell bad things for the community, and I’m sure no one wants that. So I’m going to keep this spite-free.

On the topic of paying for gas. Let me present an analogy. Let’s say you plan to go to the movies. You choose to invite (we’ll get back to that word in a moment) a friend to join you. So you’re both at the booth, and it’s time to pay. Who pays? An easy way to solve this is for each to pay their own ticket. If you are a good person, you will pay for your friend. Why is this? Because you invited him. Both are acceptable options, but there’s one other option. You could ask your friend to pay for your ticket too. Why not, he wouldn’t have been there if you hadn’t invited him right? That’s the last thing anyone should do. You don’t invite anyone and then ask them to cover you simply because it was your idea. In this case you should pay for your friend’s ticket out of courtesy, because you did the inviting.

Now I understand your case is different, because you wouldn’t go in your car unless other people need to go with you. But let’s just say you would have went in your car regardless. If you came to pick me up, then go somewhere like Bayamon, you still shouldn’t have to ask for gas simply because you’re offering the ride. However since you are going out of your way (about a 15 minute detour from the #2), it would be good if I pitched in a little for that trouble. But let’s say you are on your way to Bayamon and you arranged to meet a friend at a certain place right off the #2 (say, 3 minutes). That’s not really a lot of trouble, and you offered the ride to your friend, so in this case it would be unacceptable if you asked for any type of money. However I could see it being fine if your friend wants to pay you a little something if he ASKED for the ride and you didn’t offer. It’s not a big deal so it’s not necessary, but you know how it goes. If your friend is a considerate and generous person he will most likely offer something for you since you agreed to help him out.

I understand some of you don’t like reading long and detailed posts but I wanted to point this out, because tournaments are becoming more frequent and this is an issue some people may have to deal with.

HHH

Smash Cadet
Your analogy is flawed because the movie is an invitation to go have fun. The offer for a ride is them helping to get somewhere you otherwise you would not be able to get to. It's a -favor- not a happy fun time invitation. The fact is that they are spending money. You are getting there free -because- of them. It makes -sense- to share the cost. It's called being courteous. And yes, it's a somewhat spiteful reply, but it's because your point was absurd. There are no tensions in the smash community, just that some people post without thinking logically first.

HDL

I like pork chops.
BRoomer
HHH said:
Your analogy is flawed because the movie is an invitation to go have fun. The offer for a ride is them helping to get somewhere you otherwise you would not be able to get to. It's a -favor- not a happy fun time invitation. The fact is that they are spending money. You are getting there free -because- of them. It makes -sense- to share the cost. It's called being courteous. And yes, it's a somewhat spiteful reply, but it's because your point was absurd. There are no tensions in the smash community, just that some people post without thinking logically first.
If you see it flawed you are not looking at it correctly. Sure the movie case is a little different, but the main point is still there. Don’t invite a friend expecting him to pay his ticket. I I explained some detailed examples, and the answers may change depending on specifics. However there is one basic backbone that is always in effect regardless.

You do not offer and EXPECT.

Never should you offer a ride or otherwise invite anyone and expect something in return. You say that the one getting the ride could at least pay for gas. The one getting the ride could at least thank the other person, not pay. Paying the driver money is totally out of generosity and at that person’s discretion. Like I said, things change depending on the case. If the driver needs to go well out of his way, the one getting the ride should offer something. But the one offering should never ask unless it’s something agreed on beforehand, because regardless of how far he has to go out of his way he still offered. Never offer/invite and expect. And of course in Ivan’s case, he wouldn’t use the car if no one was going with him, so it would make sense if he asked for money if people needed a ride. Likewise, it would be bad if he asked for money if he was using the car regardless and didn’t have to go out of his way to pick someone up. The person paying the driver is at their discretion, not at the driver’s, but in this case you shouldn’t have to pay anything if no hassle was had. Of course there are always those greedy people that always ask for money even if they don’t have to go out of their way.

Also on the subject of how much to pay, it shouldn’t be much. I can do a round trip to Mayaguez, get home, (1 hour and a half) and not even waste $10 worth of gas money. So if you happen to be someone getting a ride for like half an hour or so and the other person is asking you for 10 bucks, you’re getting taken advantage of. Sometimes it amazes me how much trouble revolves around money, but unfortunately that’s the world we live in.

HHH

Smash Cadet
See now you're adding variables and situations so it seems like you were right all along and justify your not wanting to share the cost of gas money. My point still stands that if someone is giving you a free ride somewhere the least you can do is provide some gas money.

Using your explanation that the guy who offers should not expect a payment well yeah sure that's fine. But think about it the other way around, the one getting a free ride should be a little considerate and think "hey this guy is giving me transportation, something he doesn't have to do, out of his own free will, maybe I should be a nice guy and help him with the cost of gas, especially since gas is so expensive these days :) gee this is a swell group effort"

Another option is to help with other costs. I recently went to the Dream Theater concert in San Juan with my friends and I was providing the transportation, they realized the costliness of gas for a trip to San Juan (about 15 dollars in my fuel-efficient car) and they volunteered ('cause they're decent people) to pay for the toll booths along the way. Aren't they swell, nice guys. They realized it was a big expense for me, and they were not spending anything. So they chipped in. Why you can't process that I do not know. *waits for posts where he somewhat agrees with me so he doesn't come off bad but then trhows another comment in at the end so he's right after all*

HDL

I like pork chops.
BRoomer
Adding variables? If you read my second post in this page I was saying the same thing I did in my last post. I did not change much. I added the underlined statement, but most of the other stuff is just the same thing I was saying before but in a (hopefully) clearer sense. You are saying that I’m trying to justify a way to not pay someone for gas. So you’re kind of putting words in my mouth because I never said that. What I was saying (this is a reiteration) was that if the person offered you the ride you are not “supposed” to give them anything, but if you want to give them something for doing you the favor it would be a nice gesture. That goes along the toll thing you mentioned. So really what you said is going along the same lines of my last post. And no I’m not trying to make it seem like I was agreeing with you all along, rather it’s the other way around as my post was first. Look at my second post again and you’ll see I explained the same thing that you claim I am not “processing.”

Lord HDL said:
If you came to pick me up, then go somewhere like Bayamon, you still shouldn’t have to ask for gas simply because you’re offering the ride. However since you are going out of your way (about a 15 minute detour from the #2), it would be good if I pitched in a little for that trouble.
Once again even if it’s a short detour you could still pay a little something out of thanks, but it’s more of a case if you make the person go out of their way. The original point I make still applies to anything. You don’t offer and expect.

joe%

Smash Apprentice
Hey U Guys Stop That The Only One Who Starts Fights Here Its Me So Dont Think U Can Take My Place Jejeje Just Kidding Cant We All Just Get Along.

Top Bottom