• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zombie Thread - It lives!

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
THE ALL-AUSTRALIAN POWER RANKINGS
New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland, Western Australia, South Australia, Tasmania.

Click the states above for individual State Rankings.

Confirmed Panelists

• [*]CAOTIC (Victoria)
    [*]CATS (Victoria)
    [*]Syke (Queensland)
    [*]Accelerate (Queensland)
    [*]Jaz (New South Wales)
    [*]Kulla (New South Wales)
    [*]Bringer (Western Australia)
    [*]Sloth (Tasmania)

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
Me me me, and I guess either josh or.... nah just josh lol seeing as we've played people the most and been playing the longest. I'd say antho but he's probably busy with writing and school etc, and the rest of ward are... unqualified.

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
I'd say possum dave seeing as hes traveled interstate and has more exp.

People witgh less than 300 posts are not allowed to post in this thread... LOL

srsly, no newbs kthnx, serious discussion only.

Get that Rat

Smash Lord
Shaddap, you don't make the rules, Ryu does.

I say let the state nominate their own representatives.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
LOL i'll be a bit more serious now - what we need a bunch of well informed national panelists who have good knowledge of their state and those from other states. Whilst the finished list might seem odd, it's better than nothing and will be a nice reference to refine as people start playing each other more from other states.

Also we'd need to agree on a set criteria in which to base the rankings. I am in favour of ranking players on the educated knowledge of a players' skill - not the characters they use to win as much, or tourney results, although they can be secondary measures of measuring skill.

Dave from Adelaide is a good pick to provide the link between gauging Adel vs. interstate, whilst Jamage could possibly fill in on the SA playing field. Cats (Cats has brains) and I will represent Melbourne, Syke can rep Queensland and we need someone to cover NSW.

Sirias

Smash Champion
Zac and Jaz seem like extras.
Hahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah. =]

I think Zac's the only real choice for QLD, though, I think.
Why 2 Victorians but only 1 from everywhere else? Pff.
What about SHAZ.
Or Quetz.
=]=]

Nominations seem to be a fail idea because it seems like there's only really 1 or 2 'well known/informed' people in each state. :D

Jamage

Smash Ace
NNID
Jamage007
3DS FC
5412-9923-5145
Switch FC
1787 8077 0889
I'd much rather dave seeing as he's been to Melbourne and is able to gauge the skill of other states more accurately.
Yeah but Dave is nowhere near as involved in what goes on as me and Oli (he doesnt even have an account here or even on the LPC website), if he were to get involved more i agree he would be prefect for the job.

Oli would be my pick coz he knows most other players better than anyone and is probly our best player.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Kas, that's because Victoria's the easiest to organise on my behalf. I intend to have 2 panelists from VIC NSW and QLD. Josh is so on board

Well I guess if any Adelaide smasher were involved here more they'd be perfect for the job, but since they aren't it'll make things difficult, yeah? I wouldn't mind asking Dave first - its easy to get a hold of him on MSN but if he feels he's not up to it, i'll ask Oliver afterwards

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
lets get started soon - i'll call an MSN meet within the next week or so

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
Basically we came up with these criteria -

1. General Skill - Tournaments are not everything!!!! Being able to play numerous characters at a high level rather than 2-3.

2. Tourneys - How well you do + who you played.

I really cbf writing anything now lolz. We'll get more stuff done later in the week and get some solid criteria.

Sirias

Smash Champion
Ahhhh, I see I see... Well that's true. VIC ftw. =]

Not that I'd want to rep QLD, but I guess I wouldn't really have anything to back me up, tournament-wise.

Sssaaa... it seems a little more presentable now. :D 2 from VIC + QLD, 3 from NSW (lol, Kulla... Grrr), Bringer and Sloth.

You're still working on them, yeah? Who else have you got in mind (other than Dave/Oliver)? Or is that it.

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
This is basically who we've thought up of so far who might end up on the list (in no particular order either):
CAO
SHAZ
BRINGER
SYKE
QUETZ
SIRIAS
SLOTH
FREDDO
BERIMBAU
CATS
JAZ
TRISTAN
MARK
RADIANCE
OLIVER
MIKUL
KING KONG
POSSUM DAVE
SUHAYB
SCRUBS

It most likely going to be a top 20 because as you get to 20, the skill level just constantly dips dramatically and its hard enough getting 20. It might only end up being a top 15.

Sloth

Smash Ace
Can we really put Quetz in? I mean, no one has played him since @M?

And nearly everyone who will end up being in the top 20 hasn't versed him.
I mean, if the list is based off more then just tournament results, you have the consider how certain people go against others, which means a bigger exposer, and imo he hasn't got that. afaik, he doesn't even play anymore?

I am sure he is a decent player, but if I was to do my top 20 list right now, I'd have nfi where to place him.

Sirias

Smash Champion
But Cao pooned me. So I'm not that good. :'C

Cao = 1st on that for sure.
Then a tie between everyone else. :D

Quetz hasn't played 'at all' since... when?

King Kong

Smash Lord
I didnt think about having a ward member on. I dont mind giving up my spot for Accelerate or Triss since they both have experience.

Would it be better to group the top 20 people in tiers?

Only because its so hard to measure how good one player is compared to another, and it basically comes down to opinions.

For example, me and Radience, similar tournament placings, similar teams placings, similar skill level. How do you decide that he's number 15 and im number 16 (just for arguments sake) without resorting to opinion? And how would you measure someone like If you just broke up the top 20 into say, 3 tiers.

Top, high and mid you would cut out a LOT of bias and aviod a lot of arguments. Just putting it out there for arguments sake.

peace out

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Giving people grades or classifications is far better than giving them individual placements. Nice point Josh. I think we should grade people based on certain qualities in their gameplay

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
We already are doing break ups, in groups of 5. Keep in mind we've so far discussed this for about 10 minutes in total.

p.s quetz has been taken off.

Josh - Between you and radiance it would be you - reason:
More skilled in a wider variety of characters
Higher tourneys placings in general

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Decent Panel there.

Anyway, I'm going to give my opinion on the list of considered players Syke mentioned.
I'm not going to rank them as I don't think that's particularly correct of me to go and assume I know who beats who whatever. I'm instead going to rate them */***** on the way I see them and where I think they are stronger and weaker.

CATEGORIES

Competitive Nerve: The ability to focus in tournament condition under pressure.

Character: One star for Top, two for high, three for mid / low. An additional star for 3 or more competitive characters. A further star for the ability to play most characters at a high level.

Character Mastery: The ability to utilise the character/s you play both technically and practically. This also includes the communal techniques and practises applicable to a certain character ie. Waveshine up to three stars. An additional star is rewarded for competency in three or more characters. A further star for many characters.
Adaptivity: How well a player can turn the tables when in a situation that isn't favourable.

Prediction: One or two stars for both how well a player can read, and how well they avoid being read. An additional star is given if the I feel player excels in one or both area.

Mind Games: Generally those who do well here do well in the above category. One or two stars to both the ability to trick and the ability to be tricked. An additional star is rewarded if there is an exceptional case in one or both of the two.

Blazing: Leading the way in a particular region up to two stars. An additional star is given for state and a further star for nation. The fifth star is awarded from international trail-blazing.

Consistency: Whether a player performs at their peak consistently or not whether for unknown reasons to the player or due to their own reasoning.

Creativity: The ability to create new unique ways to play the game that aren't the normal.

Competitive Nerve:
CAO ****
SHAZ ****
BRINGER ****
SYKE ****
SIRIAS ?
SLOTH *****
FREDDO ***
BERIMBAU ****
CATS ***
JAZ ***
TRISTAN *****
MARK **
RADIANCE *****
OLIVER ?
MIKUL ***
KING KONG ****
POSSUM DAVE ****
SUHAYB ?
SCRUBS ?
Character:
CAO **
SHAZ *****
BRINGER *****
SYKE ****
SIRIAS ****
SLOTH ****
FREDDO *
BERIMBAU ****
CATS *****
JAZ ****
TRISTAN **
MARK ****
RADIANCE *
OLIVER **
MIKUL ***
KING KONG **
POSSUM DAVE *
SUHAYB
SCRUBS *
Character Mastery:
CAO ****
SHAZ *****
BRINGER ****
SYKE ****
SIRIAS ***
SLOTH ****
FREDDO ***(*)
BERIMBAU ***
CATS ****
JAZ ***
TRISTAN ***
MARK *****
RADIANCE ***
OLIVER ****
MIKUL ****
KING KONG****
POSSUM DAVE ***
SUHAYB **
SCRUBS ***
Adaptivity:
CAO ****
SHAZ *****
BRINGER *****
SYKE ****
SIRIAS ****
SLOTH ****
FREDDO ***
BERIMBAU ****
CATS ****
JAZ ***
TRISTAN ***
MARK ***
RADIANCE ***
OLIVER ***
MIKUL **
KING KONG ****
POSSUM DAVE ***
SUHAYB ?
SCRUBS ***
Prediction:
CAO ****
SHAZ *****
BRINGER ****
SYKE ***
SIRIAS ?
SLOTH ***
FREDDO ***
BERIMBAU ***
CATS ****
JAZ ***
TRISTAN **
MARK **
RADIANCE **
OLIVER ?
MIKUL **
KING KONG ***
POSSUM DAVE ***
SUHAYB ?
SCRUBS ?
Mind Games:
CAO ***
SHAZ *****
BRINGER ****
SYKE ?
SIRIAS ?
SLOTH ***
FREDDO ***(**)
BERIMBAU ****
CATS *****
JAZ ***
TRISTAN ***
MARK *****
RADIANCE **
OLIVER ?
MIKUL **
KING KONG ****
POSSUM DAVE ***
SUHAYB ?
SCRUBS ?
Blazing:
CAO ****
SHAZ *****
BRINGER *****
SYKE ***
SIRIAS ***
SLOTH ****
FREDDO **
BERIMBAU ***
CATS ***
JAZ ***
TRISTAN **
MARK **
RADIANCE *
OLIVER ***
MIKUL **
KING KONG ****
POSSUM DAVE ***
SUHAYB ?
SCRUBS ***
Consistency:
CAO ****
SHAZ **
BRINGER *****
SYKE ?
SIRIAS ?
SLOTH *****
FREDDO *****
BERIMBAU ?
CATS ****
JAZ ****
TRISTAN ?
MARK *
RADIANCE ?
OLIVER ?
MIKUL ***
KING KONG *****
POSSUM DAVE ?
SUHAYB ?
SCRUBS ?
Creativity:
CAO **
SHAZ *****
BRINGER ***
SYKE ?
SIRIAS ?
SLOTH **
FREDDO *
BERIMBAU **
CATS ****
JAZ *
TRISTAN *
MARK ***
RADIANCE *
OLIVER ?
MIKUL **
KING KONG **
POSSUM DAVE ?
SUHAYB ?
SCRUBS ?

NOTE
I've given Freddo additional points in Character Mastery and Mind Games due to the fact that he is rather unique in a way. Credit to him is due though he doesn't necessarily qualify for high rating in many categories I rate players by, he is exceedingly good at playing the game in a different manner than only Fox Falco and Sheik could really manage. These points shouldn't be compared to those not found inside of brackets.

Some players are unknown quantities to me, and I have given a ? where I feel speculating is not a good idea.

MOST STARS DOESNT NECESSARILY MEAN BETTER PLAYER!

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
Creativity - Need to have played against everyone alot to work this out for each person.
Mind Games - Same as above.
Blazing - Don't really understand?
Adaptivity - Again need to have considerable playing exp against other players to be able to tell.

All the others are great though and thats really what I've been looking at when doing rankings, and there in order too -
Competitive Nerve
Main
Character Mastery
Consistency

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Some of the ratings Ive mentioned are based on information I can gather. Generally I've gone by where I can speak first hand ie. matches against me. In some cases I've gone by matches I've witnessed, or by KO's assistance. It's certainly not a bible of smash skills XD

Sirias

Smash Champion
Lol, I don't really see how you can rate me when you've only really see me play like... <.<;; At one tournament. XD

Seems a little in your favour with like 5 stars only. (except consistency, lmao)
I'd think that the more stars would mean a better player, considering it means you 'excel' at the game, according to you at least.
I'd understand where if there was a 3 star gap. I.E Shaz = 20 stars, Syke = 17 stars, that with that you wouldn't really be able to say Shaz is better than Syke (example).
But more than that I'd think anymore than that would pretty much mean that they were a better player.

Then again that was probably rushed, yeah? D:
Zomg gotta take the time to make it pro.
I'ma be so low that's why I don't wanna be in it. Lawl.

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Like the last post I made said KO gave input for the players I haven't had the privilege of playing yet :)
More stars doesn't mean a better player because the layout isn't totally fair on people like Freddo who doesn't look nearly as impressive on paper as he is in game. More importantly though it doesn't mean better player because it's mainly based on my opinion and my limited experience against the players mentioned in Sykes earlier post.
And lastly, yes Sirias I do excel at the game :)

Sirias

Smash Champion
I know.
That's why I love you.
And idolize you.

You should really 'try' in tournaments... LOL!
Same with me. <.<;;

Zomg don't call me Sirias call me Kas. <3

Sirias

Smash Champion
Just getting my spoon ready to start killing you with. :D
I'm great, thanks, feeling really excited when I next see you. <3
I can't wait.

Anymore progress on this?
Oh, wait, you're gonna do this after CoK, yeah.

Shaz you're going up to CoK, yeah?
Zomg play professionally so I can watch everyone, including myself, get pwned.
Stop being n00b.

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Wont be coming now sadly. My brother is heading down here for Christmas rather than me going up there.

Top Bottom