• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ZGD: Livin by a thread.

SBphiloz4

Gatekeeper of the Shadows
NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
Dat profile picture so true, it's too good. No wonder the butthurt casuals are... butthurt.

I'll always be a Zelda main to the bitter end. But she's definitely a bottom 10 character in this game. Still has waaaaay too many problems to be even considered a threat. It's unfortunate that players out there overestimate their character, thinking he/she is amazing where they just really aren't. How will they ever learn to improve when all they do is think she's the best and ride on Zelda's.... umm...., you get the idea.

They should accept that Zelda is flawed. Very flawed. The strengths she has is coupled with so many obvious weaknesses. I can probably list so many, but this particular thread is the wrong one to do so, haha. In the end, wake up. Overestimating your character is honestly the stupidest thing you can do. It's up to the player themself to make the character work, not make the character work for them.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
So has everyone here droppedT Zelda for the good sis Palutena yet???

Also the Zelda smash 4 boards are awful
For those that were here in the early brawl days, has Zelda always attracted this many casuals who think she's good?
You gorls need to answer the question I posed here.
Do any of us really think she's not terrible in smash 4??

Smashboards isn't really even fun at this point in the games lifespan.
It's like there are so many ignorant casuals here that I'M the one being trolled.
Except they're serious.
Tbh, I still don'T believe Palu, in the long run, will be that much better than our good queen Zelda.

She way fun for trolly 1v1s though.

As for your question, the answer is still up in the air for me, but I get the impression we can't FW it from here.

I want her to be slightly more overall viable though. Too many MUs, cannot tell fo sure... JUST SPAM LOVE JU- OWAIT WE CAN'T IN SSB4. *Bangs head on wall*

Nice avi btw.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Some of the changes were for the worse. Utilt not killing, Usmash feels a bit like DH smashes and they can easily fall out of the attack. I've caught a few people off guard with FW because they thought it wouldn't hit them. Other times i get shield punished. she feels like she went in both good and bad Directions going into ssb4. Not advancing as far as we'd hope she would have..

SBphiloz4

NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
Also, a balance patch is going to be up for Sm4sg 3DS coming this month, probably in order to be in line with the Wii U version. Betting that Zelda will get nerfed, but FW will be buffed, and all the casuals will go crazy. :p

Make sure to record your replays on your phone or camera, as those won't be usable after the patch. I'll be compiling some of my own Zelda highlights hopefully sometime soon.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Also, a balance patch is going to be up for Sm4sg 3DS coming this month, probably in order to be in line with the Wii U version. Betting that Zelda will get nerfed, but FW will be buffed, and all the casuals will go crazy. :p

Make sure to record your replays on your phone or camera, as those won't be usable after the patch. I'll be compiling some of my own Zelda highlights hopefully sometime soon.
Wait, an actual balance / character change patch, THIS MONTH? Source plz?

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Yeah I've been hearing about this patching thing too. Most people are expressing concerns over patches for nerfing, rather than buffing. If Zelda got buffed (or buffs), I'd personally like to see the following...

Strongly want:

- Auto-canceling on all her aerials (yes I know nair and dair are 'do-able' but that for me will be my attempt on the Wii U version, not the cramped button layout of the 3DS). And since her up air has been nerfed in knockback, it could do with an auto-canceling as well. If not, then get rid of that atrocious lag on her back air and forward air, at the very least. It's bad enough that the moves require precision to hit with in the first place.

- Din's Fire: No free-fall after using Din's in the air please. I also found this move to be pretty meh in every Smash game, for different reasons. For goddess's sake, if you're gonna give Zelda a projectile, don't make it near useless.

Neural/would like:

- Nayru's Love: I don't really have an opinion on this move so far. Can't really pull off fancy ATs with it yet, but that's not the problem. Something about this move just feels very underwhelming. The cooldown still feels laggy, even if you are actually using it to 'reflect' projectiles, it's laggy enough to be hit by most projectiles if your opponent simply baits you to use it. Not saying I want Brawl's Nayru's Love, but something... different.

- Phantom: Another move that I'm neutral about. Would be nice if you could store the Phantom and use it at any time, kinda like Lucario's Aura Sphere. I haven't tested her custom Phantoms yet (let alone unlocked them), so I'm not sure how they compare to her default one. I know this is often regarded as a mediocre move, and often forgotten about by many Zelda users, but it would be nice to see some more practical use of it.

- Down-tilt: I miss the 'locking properties' it had in Brawl, and the variety of choices to follow-up from it. I'm not sure how I feel about down-tilt pushing opponents away from us. It's not horrible, but I feel like it's not as good as it used to be, though it could very well be because I'm just not seeing something. But I'm somewhat neutral about this move... whether or not they change it - it's not as big as some of the stuff I mentioned above.

Last edited:

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Throwing in one more result lol.

Got 4th out of 22 at Shuffle VI. Lost to V115 & Meek. Went more Zelda than Sheik and was sad from the turnout. On the other end,

Got 4th out of 40+ I think in 3DS splitting the same characters. Zelda needs something in the worst imaginable way. Like, super duper needs something. Wah!

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Oh even Ed says she's bad... that's a really bad sign.

Nice placements though! At least Sheik is great.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Throwing in one more result lol.

Got 4th out of 22 at Shuffle VI. Lost to V115 & Meek. Went more Zelda than Sheik and was sad from the turnout. On the other end,

Got 4th out of 40+ I think in 3DS splitting the same characters. Zelda needs something in the worst imaginable way. Like, super duper needs something. Wah!
Good job, Ed, keep it up (:

And could you elaborate on what you mean about Zelda?

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Hm that one comment really resonates with me. We paid Nintendo $40 to pretty much playtest their game for the Wii U release.

Apparently https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcnlWTxPP_4 is in the Wii U version. Love this song!

And yeah... Zelda against fast characters is the scariest thing ever. It's always a guessing game in neutral where I feel Zelda is less likely to make it out safely!

I think I have established my secondaries: Peach, Donkey Kong, and Robin. Just need to find a main!

Last edited:

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Good job, Ed, keep it up (:

And could you elaborate on what you mean about Zelda?
Thanks!!

All her tools just have no synergy. It's kinda strange to say. Understand that in brawl, nothing really linked too well there but even then we still had some strings and even some combos since Dtilt exists, Nair had fun landing tools, and even early percentage stuff.

Going into Sm4sh, her tools essentially worsened aside from a few and now we cannot do ANYTHING from the air without making full commitments. We have no way to put real pressure without putting our neck on the chopping block. We can really only hit people one time at a time except the rare follow up on low percentage throws and even that goes away with rage mechanics. Our best kill move is now our riskiest kill move in FW, even if it's OoS, there's no guarantee the 2nd hit connects. If Zelda was able to NOT lag after each aerial, we'd have a top 12 character for the lifetime of this game perhaps. All we currently have is a flawed character who is pretty much a bunch of neat ideas with no continuity or execution in the creation.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Congrats on your placing Ed, and always interesting to hear what you have to say about our belovedly godawful princess (you too, Mocha!).

I've been avoiding the 3ds version like the plague, but once the Wii U one drops, I'm hoping to lab something out of this mess. My research goggles.... are ready!

SBphiloz4

NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
Title of the thread should say bottom tier warriors honestly, haha.

I still have this strange and terrible feeling that Zelda will get nerfed by Sakurai, just because. I mean, he's made her complete crap for 10+ years now, what's stopping him now?

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Congrats on your placing Ed, and always interesting to hear what you have to say about our belovedly godawful princess (you too, Mocha!).

I've been avoiding the 3ds version like the plague, but once the Wii U one drops, I'm hoping to lab something out of this mess. My research goggles.... are ready!
KayLo!! We drinking at apex right?! Imma get all my research questions ready for your lab goggles.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
So the 3ds version really is the demo :laugh: have the world test how "broken" characters potentially are and fix it in the Wii U version so the characters will be balanced. Brilliant :troll:

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Hm I agree with Ed for the most part but Zelda is probably NOT bottom tier. So happy Ed acknowledges Farore's Wind :)

SBphiloz4

NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
@ Alacion Alacion
I'm trying to use it more OoS but it's just been bad experiences over and over. CIRCLE PAD PLZ
Wii U version. Soon.

Wasn't the first time you met Zelda in Twilight Princess was in some underground prison or something? Guess that could explain why she's always a basement dweller then in Smash. Forever fated to stay there since 2006. :p

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Actually no she's in the castle tower above ground but you need to go underground to get to her..

Last edited:

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Yeah circle pad has screwed me over a lot... though part of it is probably nerves and stuff.

This Sheik was playing hella campy but was at KO percent. I KNOW he's going to charge needles at the edge. I try to Farore's Wind to the left knowing he can't dodge it, but apparently I angled it slightly up and I fell to my doom :(

Seriously Sheik's needles are so annoying. It's so hard to land on stage against them too...

SBphiloz4

NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
Actually no she in the castle tower above ground but you need to go underground to get to her..
Lol, it was a viable attempt from me to be funny without actually having played the game. :p

I've only (and luckily) faced one Sheik in For Glory, and he was pretty bad. 2-stock'd easily by yours truly. But the ZSS and Yoshi that run rampant always get me. =ccc

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Usually the Sheiks I play are those that lose pretty badly in a prior game. The ones that play Sheik right off the bat are usually not too bad, but it gets bad when they are needle campy.

And why's it so hard to find a main? :(

SBphiloz4

NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
I guess it's really just finding a character you feel most comfortable with using, and you will actually take the time to grind the character over and over again, haha. Then again, there are 51 characters to choose from.

Found that click with Zelda ever since Brawl, even though she's bad. But any other character doesn't feel the same anymore.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592

How've you been, girl? It's been forever o:

Gawd I can't wait till the Wii U version of Smash.

I say we all do an 8-man Smash of Zelda dittos day 1.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Or use the character you like the most.

I won't be able to do Wii U matches unfortunately. I'm restricted to 3ds version (there is lag in 3ds version at home)

Also Mocha do you have room for adding people on 3ds so we can have a few matches on Tuesday or Thursday? (there's normally little to no lag at my college)

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Or use the character you like the most.

I won't be able to do Wii U matches unfortunately. I'm restricted to 3ds version (there is lag in 3ds version at home)

Also Mocha do you have room for adding people on 3ds so we can have a few matches on Tuesday or Thursday? (there's normally little to no lag at my college)
That's a shame you won't be able to get a Wii U anytime soon :/ yeah I've been working my rear off here to save up extra money for all these games I wanna buy this month/this year.

I don't have room (100 friend roster limit is just too small), but I can make room for you. About 80% of my friend roster are people that I had registered for Pokémon XY Friend Safaris lol, so I doubt I'll ever be hearing from most of them. You can go ahead and post your 3DS code, or message me, and I'll give you mine when I get home from work (still have a few hours to go here).

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Lol too many games and not enough money to buy them.. I don't even have a Wii U yet :p
my FC is 5172-1450-4569. Let me know when you get home so i can add your fc. :upsidedown:

SBphiloz4

NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
Dawson in general is real scary in this game, haha.

Of course, FW to victory though. :)

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Dawson in general is real scary in this game, haha.

Of course, FW to victory though. :)
More like Dawson is real scary in every game. He's why wobbling is banned in BC. (Because the Melee players don't adapt to him plus "Brawl Smarts") Also, you probably don't know this but never utter the words "brawl smart" around ANY Melee player in BC.

Last edited:

SBphiloz4

NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
It's because this place is sooooo much better. c:

Maybe I should just troll dat FB page and say that Melee and PM are garbage compared to Brawl and Sm4sh and see their reactions, Aleate. :333

Top Bottom