• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Zero's Advice: General Matchup Q&A

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Megas options are not unilaterally weaker than pacs. Normal to normal, mega wins each aerial. He also kills easier than pac by a significant margin.
Huh?
What kill confirms does mega even have? While we have Fair -> key/bell at 100%, DA -> key, and DA -> bell -> side B mega has the unreliable MB to utilt.

And our aerials have the better frame data overall. Your aerials are useless in disadvantage while we have Nair to combo break. Not to mention that ours can actually auto cancel in a short hop. It's hard for mega man to get us out of his face.

Normal to normal doesn't matter overall.

Last edited:

Appledees

Smash Apprentice
Huh?
Fair -> key/bell at 100%, DA -> key
I'm really doubting this to be honest unless Pacman is like at max rage and is near the ledge cause I kinda doubt Megaman will die around that %. Most of the time I fight a good pacman I usually die around 125+

I'm not doubting that Pacman doesn't beat Megaman (I think he slightly beats Megaman but it feels really close honestly) but I don't see Megaman dying around that % really

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I'm really doubting this to be honest unless Pacman is like at max rage and is near the ledge cause I kinda doubt Megaman will die around that %. Most of the time I fight a good pacman I usually die around 125+

I'm not doubting that Pacman doesn't beat Megaman (I think he slightly beats Megaman but it feels really close honestly) but I don't see Megaman dying around that % really
Oh, I meant in general. If it's against mega, this will probably kill around the same percentage you stated, 120-130 for key.

As for bell, this can kill at 110 if we connect the charged fsmash afterwards.

Last edited:

Greward

Smash Lord
I don't think pacman beats Mega Man. Imo even or Mega's advantage.

Mega man has a really strong game against opponents in the air. And pac man lives in the air.
We don't need kill setups against floaties when we have a frame 4 bair and tornado covers a huge amount of space. We still have them though. Going up in the air is gonna be risky. Mega Man is also heavyweight + has a very strong defensive game, so he's very hard to kill.

Side B **** is irrelevant, we can jump while shooting pellets and ignore it fyi. Still it's not like we're planning on camping far away from you. In this matchup Mega Man will probably approach. Being in the air vs Mega Man is not a good option for any character and pacman has to jump up all the time.
Mega Man is mostly a mobile mid range fighter, we have combos to get in if we get a hit confirmation on a projectile (MB to grab, pellets to ftilt to nair, crash bomb forces... stuff). If we get something in we will approach. And once Mega Man takes the lead he can keep it. Leaf shield is extraordinarily amazing at covering out of ledge options after the speed rotation buff, we cover air hard with up air (which combos into itself and can deal huge amount of damage) plus bair / fair / pellets / diagonal up MB (which can combo into fair/bair).

What does exactly Pacman do in the matchup? Charge fruit, throw hydrant, jump up and stall in the air is the basic pacman gameplay. Hydrant is a bit of an issue but really, stalling in the air against Mega Man is super unviable, fruit isn't that much of a deal for Mega Man.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
What does exactly Pacman do in the matchup? Charge fruit, throw hydrant, jump up and stall in the air is the basic pacman gameplay. Hydrant is a bit of an issue but really, stalling in the air against Mega Man is super unviable, fruit isn't that much of a deal for Mega Man.
This is a gross underestimation/simplification of Pac-Man's gameplay.

Essentially my thoughts on pac-man's gameplan.
Funny you mentioned pacman because I was just thinking about something related to the topic at hand. Is pacman overly reliant on fruit/hydrant zoning? I think so, but only if he continues to be played the way Abadango and many others did/do currently.

He isn't being played to his strengths because well...Pac-Man is not a zoner. In fact, he's terrible at zoning and more people will realize this as time goes along.

Now before many of you unsheathe your keyboards and angrily explain how I am wrong, I want to explain why he isn't the characer we initially thought he was.

Unfortunately, many of us Pac-Mains have adopted a game of "set up a fortress and run" as a primary focus in nuetral. This goes against the natural strengths of the character. Pacman isn't a real zoner because fruit and hydrants aren't built for keeping people out. Fruit come out on frame 12, have an FAF of 45, 5 of them bounce off of shields which allow opponents to easily catch them, and they lose to most attacks when thrown. You can't dream of zoning an opponent out with data like this. Same with hydrant. Loses to any attack when launched, can be sent back to us by the opponent, and fast characters can straight up quantum tunnel right through it (man that is a dumb mechanic).
All of these flaws lead many pacman mains to lean heavily on gimmicky, complex, and all around situational setups to keep the opponent out. It became the bulk of our gameplan. It sort of covers up the flaws of his individual "camp tools".

But we've neglected our normals, our z drop game, our offensive game...we've put too much into one inefficient gameplan.
The way I see our fruit and hydrant tools is the same way I view spin dash. Spin dash is also misinterpreted as sonic's only gimmick. The famous "Spin2Win" strategy of FG newbies.

In reality, spin dash is a weak move when used this way. It loses to most attacks, can be punished by OoS aerials, disjoints give it hell...sound familiar? For sonic, spin dash is only meant to compliment his game play. It forces you to keep guessing sonic's next move and punishes you heavily for overextending and guessing wrong. Pac-Man's tools are the same way, but complement a different style of play.

It isn't zoning, it isn't rush down, it isn't bait and punish or hit and run... I don't know what it is called but he continuously forces you into trap situations with his tools that allow him to transition into a heavily damaging offensive game. An example of this can be how the trampoline is downright broken when used to limit options on the ledge, but rather weak when used against a rush down characer to slow down an approach in nuetral. We should have a free combo on the opponent when ever the trampoline launches them into the air instead of simply waiting on the other side and b-airing them back to the other side.

His normals are further proof of this. He was given average moves all around because his traps + better normals would have been too oppressive. His grab is trash because his z drop fruit pressure already handles it. Oh...and for some reason, fruit are indestructible when z dropped.

A better analogy for those of you that have played yugioh is that Pac-Man is like an Aggro/stun deck (my favorite type!)
Using stun as a means to limit all of your opponent's options so you can relentlessly beat them down. People are currently focusing too heavily on the stun aspect.
Why on earth would pacman try to air camp when he has good data on his ground moves?

This characer is even more highly misunderstood than I thought...

Last edited:

Greward

Smash Lord
Uh I'm not sure if I get it. So you are saying that Pacman isn't only runaway camp?. If that's the case, I do agree with you, and that's an over simplification. But in this matchup you are probably going to play the camp way, because, how are you gonna close in and hit us. You have the superior frame data, but Pacman is slow and doesn't have the best range either. How exactly does he close the gap? What does he do against pellet spam? How does he approach in the air against a plethora of tools designed for anti air aka fair / bair / up air? Because i'm sure you won't try to rush in by running. We win the mid range hard.
Your superior frame data will win when we get close and mess up, but pacman will have few opportunities to close in a character with superior mobility and mid range game like Mega Man.

There are ways to approach obviously, but I doubt they'll be consistent. You should try to approach sometimes, but most of the time pacman should keep using hydrant because it's a pain in the ass for Mega Man and really limits his options. I really don't see Pacman having options to get the position to abuse his superior frame data really. His damage output isn't that great either. I see this matchup as pacman being heavy reliant on hydrant to keep the neutral game.

Anyways, what's pacman's gameplan against Mega Man? What does the character have that inherently shuts down Mega Man options to claim that he has an advantageous matchup? I can only speak for what I have seen, and from that I don't see why Pacman beats mega man.

Last edited:

Meistermayo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2852-7671-9198
No way in hell megaman can kill easier than pacman.
No way megamans damage output is higher than pacman.

But one thing i did find is that if you utilt while being pushed by fire hydrants water, it pushes u up uber high. So high that you can use a pellet to take away utilts landing lag or do whatever the heck else you want.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I can sit here and talk about how fruit > pellets in mid range and how PacMan's damage output is actually insane (a galaxian confirm can lead to 50%)
But instead, I'll just summon @Sinji since he fights ninjalink on the regular

Last edited:

Appledees

Smash Apprentice
I'll be honest I don't see how Pacman kills that much better than Megaman. Maybe slightly but its still not that huge in my opinion. He has setups however from what I've seen they're often very inconsistent or really specific to pull off on an aware player.

PacMan's damage output is actually insane (a galaxian confirm can lead to 50%)
I've seen many of the setups and stuff for this but here's the thing how often are you gonna pull this off on a good player. Alot of Pacman's tricks and stuff seem very hard to actually pull off on an aware player. I'm not doubting you and acting like it won't happen but I think you're overrating Pacman's ability really.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I'll be honest I don't see how Pacman kills that much better than Megaman. Maybe slightly but its still not that huge in my opinion. He has setups however from what I've seen they're often very inconsistent or really specific to pull off on an aware player.

I've seen many of the setups and stuff for this but here's the thing how often are you gonna pull this off on a good player. Alot of Pacman's tricks and stuff seem very hard to actually pull off on an aware player. I'm not doubting you and acting like it won't happen but I think you're overrating Pacman's ability really.
Even a good player can get hit by an item tossed galaxian. And that's all it takes to get it started really...
You overestimate the difficulty of our setups. Not all of them have to be overcomplicated. That is a stigma created by the numerous vines of his dumb antics.

There are easy to set up traps that are just as lethal like our ledge traps.

Unless abadango, Dee, and chef pac were playing CPUs the entire time...

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
This matchup is def In mega mans favor, only slightly though.

All of the pacs I have played have resorted to the stall/defensive game because they couldn't get in and it hasn't worked out well for them.

It def is a pretty close matchup though.

Greward

Smash Lord
Nah Mega Man kills better than pacman. He has to get a lot of damage in to actually KO us (unless he gets a bell confirm on the ground which will rarely happen), meaning we will have rage. In actual KO options we're evenish but Mega Man has stronger clutch factor (heavier + early kill moves) and his advantage game is better leading to more chances of getting the kill move.

On the galaga combos, yeah, you can get them in, but it won't always happen. Don't expect to have a galaga combo every stock. I highly doubt Pacman has a consistent superior damage output than Mega Man. MM's damage output doesn't rely on a single move or combo (although he does have strong combos/moves), he relies on getting superior advantage and capitalizing that, and probably a single backthrow isn't going to be just a back throw, we will get more out of it until you regain neutral state.

Meistermayo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2852-7671-9198
Advantage game?

All of megamans projectiles can be evenly matched, overwhelmed, interrupted, or simply plucked out of the air.

Trampoline oos is a safe option that guarantees at least a bit of pocket change damage regardless if pacmans opponent is blocking. It also puts them in an uncomfortable position being bounced on the trampoline.

Pacman's zdrop is ultimately better than megamans, being easier to regrab and stays on the screen for a consistent amount of time.

Megamans has like two setups for guaranteed kills. Pacman can guarantee lots of things off of trampoline ledge setups, as well as bell and key.

This matchup cannot be in mms favor.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Yes they both have situational kill setups but I think our bthrow really makes the matchup in our favor.

The item shenanigans and the aerials and smashes are much different but similar. The bthrow is the one good kill option that we have that pac doesn't.

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Well, no matter what we do, Pac still has some really annoying stuff like hie Fruits and the Hydrant that kinda unvalidates USmash/Uair/Utilt anti-air reads.
I think many of us forget that insta-catching one isn't easy when you try to keep the neutral... Especially when they go past the Strawberry. The Orange has good horizontal KB & Apples are thrown in diagonal, so yeah...
And yes, we can stop them, but they can stop us too.
I know I'm not that good, but it is more of a mindgamey MU than of an advantage based MU. I mean, look, we CAN catch the Key or just dodge it, but what if Pac-Man turns a fruit into an Item ? You might argue that we don't care, but the mindgames just start there. Will he toss it, Z-Drop it or start his Hydrant play ?

That's just an even-ish MU, but you guys are right about the most important thing : it relies heavily on ADVNTAGE. Once advantage is lost on one side, it becomes hard to recover it. The one edge we have is that we can finish :4pacman: sooner than he can, but he has an easier time coming back to neutral thanks to his fruits (assuming customs off throuhgh).

...I think we should start discussing the Pac-Man MU once Cloud is released with his patch :004:

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
If we're having a full matchup discussion, I should probably summon the pacman thread.

@BSP
Froggy Froggy
@verbatim
fromundaman fromundaman
PEPESPAIN PEPESPAIN

Your back throw is okay for killing, but a kill option that doesn't start killing until 130 at the ledge with DI isn't nearly as good as a kill off of a frame 5 move. Our guaranteed kill setups can kill center stage, while yours depend on having all the stage control. Our z drops are certainly better because they extend into more reward.

Greward Greward
There is no way a characer that relies mainly on chip damage is outdamaging pacman. PacMan's damage doesn't rely on single moves/combos either, he's just able to extend his advantage a lot better than mega man.

Last edited:

Drarky

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1607-4919-4337
Your back throw is okay for killing, but a kill option that doesn't start killing until 130 at the ledge with DI isn't nearly as good as a kill off of a frame 5 move
Slash Claw is frame 4 and Grab is frame 6. Let's not talk about Shoryuken kills if you are not careful.

Also, speaking of setups, shall we consider the Mega Man infinite? It is about as impractical as most of Pacman's confirms so...

Also, footstools are somewhat easier to get vs Pacman because the moment you use throw (I know it's not very often but maaaaaybe that random input) you are open for the setup.

Anyway, I still find the MU to be even, too lazy to keep writing stuff about it.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
"About as practical as most of pacman's confirms"
It feels as if I'm talking to a wall now. The bias is overwhelming. No, not all of PacMan's confirms are impractical, impossible to pull of in a match, or anything else you want to call it. There is a severe lacking of matchup knowledge in this thread.

If we're being facetious, should I talk about PacMan's shieldbrake off of a key z drop? And pacman has the same infinite as you using the apple.

The matchup is close to even, but pacman wins it.

Last edited:

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Just mind you : Mega Man's infinite with MB isn't guaranteed (RNG can be really annoying sometimes), so I wouldn't consider it too much.
On the other side, Footdstools and Z-Dropped Metal Blades can lead into guaranteed Jab Locks, and Pac-Man has A LOT of setups, so while they can be avoided, mindgames happen and one of them might get you °~°

And while BThrow doesn't kill really early unless at the edge, it still is at least a nice 11% (counting pummels, LS & staleness) and UThrow can kill at really high % from anywhere on the stage (I think it should be around 170%...), so we don't really mind not killing (unless the timer is against us).

That's why advantage is really important : The timer keeps running and since people are not ready to try to win without going into their opponents (no really, Pac can and SHOULD stall a bit when he gets the advantage), both sides can get solid reads, bit none of them really need to approach, so it can easily go into a timeout. I know that everyone hates people who keep running away, but that's where the Play2W & the Play4Fun diverge, and imo, it is important to start considering timeouts.

...Rant done, how about we talk about approaches first ? I know about DITCIT and it is indeed a nice grab setup for both sides. Pros & Cons anyone ?

(p.s.: i should stop making walls)

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Pacman player here.

My personal opinion is that the matchup is even. Its a very kinetic matchup when both players are constantly moving around while throwing projectiles at each other.

Last edited:

ravemaster47

Smash Ace
NNID
ravemaster47
I'd say the matchup is pretty even. I've only played a few good ones. And I can say that the matchup is annoying. Pac has better close range than we do, and his hydrant and fruits cancel or beat our projectile game.

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
*shrug* I've only played it a few times on either side. TBH never felt bad as either character. Probably even. TBH feels like the more careful/mindful of the million flying Hitboxes player wins.

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
I have some experiencie on this MU.

Melon destroyes every Megaman 's Camping tool and hits him. It is our most important fruit here. When Megaman is going back to the stage don't charge fruit try to hit him with fair+ nair combo and he is dead.

I think the MU is even too.

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Well, FAir ->NAir would have been a gimp confirm if :4megaman: couldn't use his DJ after using his UpB. It does create some good edgeguard situations, but it won't gimp until really high % based on your FAir. Good point through.

Last edited:

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
I have some experiencie on this MU.

Melon destroyes every Megaman 's Camping tool and hits him. It is our most important fruit here.
Wait, i though all fruits from the Melon onwards destroyed Megaman's projectiles. Why is the Melon the most important one here?
I figured the galaga would be the one you would abuse the most.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Wait, i though all fruits from the Melon onwards destroyed Megaman's projectiles. Why is the Melon the most important one here?
I figured the galaga would be the one you would abuse the most.
That's the one I use most. Melon is okay only after it's been item tossed. Even then, it's easily avoidable if you don't make a trap out of it.

Last edited:

Megamang

Smash Lord
I picture leaf shield + shield to be very potent in this MU, due to Pac's horrendous grab i cant see much he can do about it. This sets up into high damage leaf shield grabs.

Mega definitely has to play the MU differently than normal, and i find myself using pellets to tack on damage after a hit more than anything.

Make sure you can ftilt x2 into nair in a single run forward, this is nice pressure and can launch pac offstage repeatedly during ledge trap situations. If you feel like he is adapting, zigma upper to grab is quite nice.

Even MU, maybe slight favor either way imo. Probably depends on stage list heavily.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Yeah, i'm curious to see what you guys think after playing it more.

Personally i can see Pac-Man winning, but not by much, +1 for him.

sphenco

Smash Cadet
NNID
sphenco
3DS FC
5300-9746-7346
I dont think I have played a truly good Pac-Man. But I like seeing videos of good ones.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I took a pac man today on the ladder. He was only one rank below me so we are a pretty even matchup. I'll post the set when I get a chance.

I think the upper was the big difference maker in most the games along with Bair.

I caught the melon many times.

I think he could have rushed my down more and it would have helped him out.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Why you guys preach melon when key accomplishes the same thing better, for more damage, with less chance of being caught is also beyond me.

On a side note I did get a few friendlies against a MM player named MoarD (At least that was his tag) at an IN event this weekend. He mentioned this thread so he may be on here? Anyway he might have more to say on the MU now that he's had a chance to play it. TBH felt pretty even to me, and despite being friendlies they went back and forth.

Top Bottom