• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zero Suit Samus Questions & Answers

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
What about when ICs pressure with iceblocks? I'm always tempted to retreat sideB at some point to cover an approach, but after reading this, that could be too risky of a primary option (which does seem to makes sense now that I think about it).

That solved my problems. Thank you!
What type of ice-blocks?
Desynched ones?
Wait until you see Popo throw one, then approaching side-b the ICs. (As long as you're not under like 25% if ICs are also low).
The IC player will probably be inputting an ice-block for Nana. The side-b will hit her. If you get grabbed you won't die, and it'll make them stop using it as much.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I'm tempted to chip in some obscure technical knowledge that you can use to abuse ICs doing things :D

DeLux

I think I'm underqualified to start going into matchup discussion for this character

Dakpo

Smash Lord
Dude any tips can help, sometimes even the newer players can present new info or helpful tips to the pros. I know I might not be the best zss or anything but I can contribute things to the good zss players that they might not know since we all have different views/experiences on match ups.

pro tip of the day- Attack Ness and lucas Up Bs if they chase you with it off the stage, if you try to air dodge it then your just trapping yourself

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
If Ness chases you with up-b, let it happen. It sends you up.
Lucas's... **** that move. Recover high against Lucas. If you cannot, down-b through the tail... If you cannot, THEN attack it.

Pro-tip of the day - If you space out your jab, most characters cannot grab you out of jab1+jab2... at least MK cannot. As such, spaced d-smash > jab 1 > jab 2 will probably work once or twice on most people who just try to grab it.
Obviously tethers/DDD can grab it.

BioDG

Smash Ace
Since I'm on the subject of projectiles, I wondered about the smartest counterstrategy for when other characters pressure with slow or lingering projectiles from midair, too. Like, say, Mario/luigi/pikachus tend to do this. It sometimes becomes a brain freeze moment for me.

At least for pika you can go under him most of the time. For others, walk with shield, I guess? But then I get grabbed. air sideB? Then hits will trade hits at best if the projectiles are already out...hmm...

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I know this is a weird team that nobody probably plays, but have any of you had any experience teaming w/ Lucario? I'm trying out the team, but it's definitely weird b/c I'm having a hard time giving her the amount of appropriate room she needs (I find myself getting caught a lot by paralyzer shots as I'm landing on accident, and I'm quickly learning to not be with her immediate front b/c of how much room she takes between side Bs, aerials, and DAs/dsmashes lol)

My usual teammate usually plays Marth/G&W, and for the most part, their "zones" are easier to avoid and cover for more pressure

opulentlifestyle

Smash Rookie
Another down-B question :p

So I have another recovery question. Let's say ZSS is down in the bottom right or bottom left corners of the screen and is trying to get back onstage (I know she should never be there in the first place but bear with me). Now let's also say she doesn't have her midair jump anymore. There's still flip jump, but you're kind of far below the stage so you want to use some of the vertical lift from down-B to reach a tether to the ledge. Is there any way to cancel down-B before reaching the other end of the rainbow so you can tether from the apex of the jump? I have the related problem of not being able to tether out of down-B for a fairly long amount of time, usually enough to kill me. An up-B input anywhere in the flip jump and for about 2 seconds after she seems to have completed it results in her doing the spike kick. So should I be buffering an airdodge, or something? Or always use flip jump before my second jump? Sorry for the long question.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
You cannot cancel down-b before it ends on its own.
Generally, try to save both your jump and your down-b. You should burn one or the other, depending on the MU.
I prefer to burn my double-jump and save my down-b.

Also, I won a tournament today!
Didn't play Seibirk, but I beat MVD in two sets, and I 6-0ed ESAM in Grand. :3

opulentlifestyle

Smash Rookie
You cannot cancel down-b before it ends on its own.
Generally, try to save both your jump and your down-b. You should burn one or the other, depending on the MU.
I prefer to burn my double-jump and save my down-b.

Also, I won a tournament today!
Didn't play Seibirk, but I beat MVD in two sets, and I 6-0ed ESAM in Grand. :3
Hmm ok, I guess that's too bad but I can live with it (I'll have to). It could be worse...I could be Olimar. :alien:

Congrats on your win! Did the matches get recorded?

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Any idea what channel the vids will be uploaded to?
I'm already subscribed to you, ESAM and 2Link121 (or whatever his name is) on youtube. Should I just wait? :p

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
my channel is PapaSeed52290.

And it's got alot of stuff on there, but i've been trying to get more guitar stuff up lately. (it's like, all concert vids and guitar vids)

and i def won't be upset if you don't sub, i don't mind at all hahaha.

The more recent guitar videos are better btw, like Built To Fall or Thunderhorse

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
I subscribed at first because "omg i play zss and he's kinda the best in the world"
And yeah I kinda ignore your channel now cause it's all LPs...though I watch those sometimes when I'm really bored
So yeah I have no idea why I haven't unsubscribed, I'll go do that now XD
And Mink, I'm assuming those numbers = your birthday? XD

BioDG

Smash Ace
So, I got ***** by purple pikmin this weekend. The olimar somehow ended up with four or so of them so quickly on SV of all places (the video should be up soon so I'll be sure to post it). I really should have held off any approaches until I killed them all, right?

What type of ice-blocks?
Desynched ones?
Wait until you see Popo throw one, then approaching side-b the ICs. (As long as you're not under like 25% if ICs are also low).
The IC player will probably be inputting an ice-block for Nana. The side-b will hit her. If you get grabbed you won't die, and it'll make them stop using it as much.
Thanks! It turns out that this helped me out a lot in winning a MM.

Dakpo

Smash Lord
dude olimar is such an ugly match up...i suggest calmly killing all the purple with jabs and down smash before going in

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
This aint a question.

But i want everyone to know... that the majority of my tournament matches were spend running around and platform cancelling on s/v

If anyone brings me there...
Platform cancels.

It looks so cool i can't stop :(

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
I'm like the only person in my region that platform cancels
Also, everyone in my region is ok with the idea of "**** stage striking, let's go to Smashville"

I love my region :D

BioDG

Smash Ace
Honestly, I don't find much practical use for it. I suppose it depends on playstyle.

EDIT: Thanks, Dakpo. I really gotta think more in this game.

DeLux

Is it a bad to sequence dsmash stuff in this order:

Dsmash > Jab 1 > Dsmash > Follow up?

As compared to the more typically seen:

Dsmash > Dsmash > Jab 1 or some other option > Followup

Since Dsmash is safe on shield assuming one uses Jab 1, I've started doing that as a way to freely throw out dsmash without worrying so much about tight frame windows on hit confirms for the first dsmash to maximize my follow up damage output. More or less, you have the entire time length of Jab 1 to figure out if Dsmash hit or not.

The flow chart looks like-

Dsmash > Jab 1 > Did Dsmash hit?

Yes > Dsmash Follow up
No > Jab Mix Up Game

Outside of Dsmash being one move less fresh on the stale moves queue, can anyone think of negatives to switching to that?

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Dsmash>jab>dsmash might screw up your timing for dsmash chains at lower percents
And, if you can't dsmash chain your opponent, it might screw up your timing for dsmash x2>fair at lower percents.

It might screw up timing for other dsmash combos too (dsmash x2>bair/fair/nair/uair, dsmash x3>uair, etc)

DeLux

You edited your post after I asked my question which ended up answering it lol

I'll keep the lower percent stuff in mind.

I feel like the only thing that I lose is Dsmash x3 to Uair at medium-high or dsmash x2 > Run through > Bair. Every thing else I've been able to execute reliably at similar percents. Although a frame perfect turnaround approaching Bair is something I'm not used to doing so I gotta put some tech practice.

Top Bottom