• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda's Personal Matchup Thread

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Can't we just Ftilt his Bair if you have the timing? I mean, if our Ftilt outright beats Marth's Fair, it should murder this. Timing more or less.

As far as the MU is concerned, I'd certainly give it to Wolf at +2 I believe. His mobility is so strong against us. His retreating Fair is Sooooo good! As Alan said, bait and punish game has to be strong or we're getting nowhere in this.

:phone:

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
be really really patient with wolf. He is so anoying and he pokes well, but he's not too bad to smack around when you get close enough to him and he can't keep pressure up as well as some other characters, though he can juggle us well.

I WISH we had a good reflector here because, if memory serves, reflecting wolf's blaster causes it to double in speed on the way back making it actually kinda hard from him to respond to.... or if nayru's let you APPROACH with it.... now that would be awesome.

Anyway, this matchup is stupid. I hate wolf because he's not Krystal like he should have been and for that reason, all his matchups should be 0:100

if I'm going to be honest though, this one's more like 60:40 in his favour. Sadly. So just make it sting that much more when you beat him!

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
All weegee's i have fought have been lagfied to death! :bee:

its probably 60:40 weegee or something like that since Zelda can never catch a break in ratio's. :L

i believe his Nair can trade our Usmash? and then theres jab>Shoryuken stuff to worry about. as long as you don't get Usmash happy every time he jumps it shouldnt be too bad of a fight.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
loooooool Luigi.

I dunno the exact frame details, but I imagine he has a somewhat difficult time punishing F-smash since it's hard to powershield the last hit.

Don't worry about his projectile; it's worse than ours.

Basically, don't let him punish you. That F-smash of his really stings. I'm pretty sure it can kill us at about 70%.

I would personally chalk it up at 50:50, but that's probably not realistic, so I'mma just go with everyone else. 60:40 Luigi.

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
luigi...

well he's got a super slow air speed, in case he's trying to approach jumping to attempt a combo, what we can do if we are in this situation is just to shield and Usmash OoS.

his down B is kind of annoying, and if we try to approach PSing the fireballs(in case that happens and he's spamming the fireballs) he can just run away with that x_x... just try to predict if he even tries to approach with that and punish...

we must be careful of not getting comboed and not be too close because he can kill us at ridiculously low %

Nair cancels Din's, but if he tries to get back to the stage using his torpedo Din's can stop it, so we could try and gimp him or pseudo gimp him, it would be a nice lead if we can do that.

I would say it's a 60:40 Luigi

not the best I could write but it's been a long time since I last played a decent/good/competent Luigi

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Luigi can be annoying only if he gets inside. That being said, when he gets in, it is an awful terrible thing. We need to start worrying around 50%+.

Killing isn't too difficult but our Fsmash will likely be stale from keeping him out so much. When we pop him above us, he's dead to rights for whatever you want thanks to his slow fall speed.

Personally, I feel like it's even but more toward Luigi so -1 for us.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
ALSO

Just something about the Wolf match up, I read that Wolf takes 60 frames to be able to meteor cancel.

Someone on another thread said that with Wolf falling at 60 frames, he travels something like 87% the distance from the ledge to the bottom blastline on Battlefield.

I assume dair counts as a meteor smash, so coupled with his poor recovery, we should be able to gimp him... a lot.

DellSmashman

Smash Cadet
Looking at the comments here, why do people argue about ratios so much? I understand that everyone is entitled to give out their own opinion but really, it shouldn't be taken that serious since ratios won't help you win a matchup.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
To be honest, if you're fighting DK, the best option is probably to pick King Dedede instead. :awesome:

Seriously though, I think this match-up is 35:65 (or whatever the new equivalent is). His tilts are very frustrating to deal with, especially FTilt. It has huge-*** range and when properly spaced it can't really be punished - a bit like Zelda's FSmash only faster and it can't be SDI'd. :mad: Bair is also very frustrating, but if he doesn't space it properly then you can nail him with USmash, so that's a plus. Basically to have any chance of winning you have to try and get him above you and keep him there. If he's on point with his Bair spacing, things get a lot tougher. :urg:

He can also kill Zelda ludicrously early if you give him half a chance. Headbutt to charged smash attack hurts, and a charged Giant Punch can kill us at, what, 50% or less? His Giant Punch is especially problematic when it comes to recovering. If he isn't pestering you with constant Bairs off-stage, you need to be really on point about grabbing the ledge. On the other hand, if you get him off-stage instead, make sure to Dair his up B if he needs to use it as well.

I don't think it's quite unwinnable, but you really can't let any mistake he makes go unpunished. Oh, and one last thing - don't forget that if DTilt trips, you get a free lightning kick! :)

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I'd have to say this matchup is probably about 60:40 for DK. I mean, the basics at least are in our favour: he's a huge target who can't do much if we get below him and he doesn't have a projectile to camp with. That's pretty much exactly what zelda wants in an oponent.... unforuntately DK is heavy, strong, has exceptional (and exceptionally problematic for Zelda) range and he has a stupidly good bair that lets him space really well aerially rendering our air game virtually useless against him unless he's right above us or we've somehow comboed into a lightning kick.

This matchup is just a testimate to how much Zelda sucks. DK is terribly suited to matchup against Zelda and, yet, Zelda is just so bad that it doesn't matter, DK still has a noticable advantage over her and half of her moveset is unusable because DK can directly shut it down completely.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Looking at the comments here, why do people argue about ratios so much? I understand that everyone is entitled to give out their own opinion but really, it shouldn't be taken that serious since ratios won't help you win a matchup.
The ratios are an average based on the two characters and their moveset. So it may or may not go into the character with higher percentage's favor. Its not going to help win a MU. Its the amount of favor going for that character against another character.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I agree.

Matchup ratios are fine, but nothing to get bent out of shape about. Arguing about HOW to play the matchup is another story entirely though.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
@Jiggly: I'm actually unsure. I think the multiple hits will stop him but don't quote me on it.

DK has dumb amounts of kill power and we are a toothpick. Doesn't add up too well but we actually compete very well in this MU from my personal experience. Hedge I must disagree with you and shrink the advantage to 55:45 DK (-1) because we can combat his range. Our Ftilt is simply amazing (I've probably been saying this for each MU but it really is!) at being a quick parry to DKs Ftilt and Dtilt. Angled up, it beats his Bair but again it comes to timing. Out Dtilt is amazingly bad for him when we get inside and enables us a major kill chance upon a trip. It's a matter of who hits their chances first and DK is only a little more likely than we are hence the slight nod to him.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
. Hedge I must disagree with you and shrink the advantage to 55:45 DK (-1) because we can combat his range. Our Ftilt is simply amazing (I've probably been saying this for each MU but it really is!) at being a quick parry to DKs Ftilt and Dtilt. Angled up, it beats his Bair but again it comes to timing.

I really don't use Ftilt often enough . . . . *grumble*

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
im not familiar w/ DK so i wanted to ask is it realistically possible for him to use the super armor of his Giant Punch to plow through Fsmash?
Edit: His punch will go through Fsmash's multiple hits won't matter. The final hit will require exact spacing and timing for it to hit Dk but i'm not sure what will win...

How Peachy, Peach is up

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
peach is . . . . not good for us.

I've played a lot of princess on princess matches and, basically, all I've got to say is that you need to learn stages that mess with peach's poke game and get good at them because, otherwise, she just out-spaces you the WHOLE game.

On any standard stage, I give peach a hefty 65:35 advantage on us, but on some of the stages that mess with her ability to approach in our blind spot, I feel the matchup goes about even to even slightly in our favour depending. I mean, it isn't often you get to play with Corneria not banned due to that stupid permenant wall on its right hand side, but in rare cases, I've seen it as a legal counterpick assuming that the wall exploits themselves are not used and on that stage zelda, I have always felt, has a noticable advantage against peach. Amng the legal stages, I do fairly well on the samus themed stages of brinstar and frigate orpheon, but I only feel even on those stages, not advantaged, unless the peach is truly out of her element. In any case, I find that uneven ground does better things for zelda than peach in this matchup, so avoid flatter stages (like most neutrals)

so, in summary
Matchup is generally 65:35 peach with the matchup approaching 50:50 on select stages.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
Riot needs to get in here and give us a paragraph lol

I hate peach. her spacing powers are too good, i'd take the ho to Distant Planet if it were legal and show her whats for -_-

I pretty much agree w/ Shedgy on the ratio.

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
Oh hi.

I play Peaches all the friggin' time. And not just Peachkid.

Peaches advantage in this matchup comes from her being faster than us and being able to out maneuver us. Her moves generally come out faster than ours and trading usually isn't worth it.

The good news is that Peach can't kill for crap. If she isn't gimping you (Which isn't too easy for Peach like some characters...) and you have good DI she won't be killing you until roughly 150% on average. Also Zelda can kill Peach with an upair or LK before 100% and any amount after that she is dead from an uptilt, upsmash, etc.

This matchup really isn't lopsided, just don't play stupid. Have ways to get out of pressure and don't run into the ****. Once you have the momentum you need to run with it, she may be powerful in the air and out range you, but her air dodge is crap and trading a Zelda upair for anything (except maybe a stitch face or bomb) is bad for her. You need to be on point here and learn to power shield her airials on reaction in order to get in when the time is right.

Overall I would say this matchup is somewhere between 40-60 and 45-55 Peach's favor. I do best on Smashville in this matchup but Peach doesn't have too many stages that really provide her with an advantage so go where you please.

I can get PK in here if you want to but I think he agrees with me. We play far too much.

I know Dark Peach, Nicole, and Praxis have all played me before as well, but it's been some time.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Just a precaution. With Irene coming I may not be able to change it to Pit due poweroutage and possibly some other things that can happen. Can someone change it to Pit if it hasn't been changed on Wednesday at 8:00PM?

Fuujin

Smash Champion
the only things I know about yoshi is that PSing the eggs is very easy
pokemon trainer
60:40 Zelda's advantage but I have no idea what the actual numbers should be.
ike
we can out camp him and out damage him, this match is still easily 55:45 Ike's advantage.
Can't we just Ftilt his Bair if you have the timing?

I'd certainly give it to Wolf at +2
55:45 DK (-1)
I play Peaches all the friggin' time. And not just Peachkid.

Overall I would say this matchup is somewhere between 40-60 and 45-55 Peach's favor.
Ike is difficult but not bad at all. I would place him only at a -1 (55-45) disadvantage personally.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
anyway Pit is up now
Pit is dumb :glare:

I don't fight any good ones, just the special and Cstick spammers that are as annoying if not more so than Rollycario. so i have no real input

EDIT: Although in reguards to SideB. rolling behind it if you see it coming leave Pit open for a Dtilt lock, also if you DI out fast enough Dsmash, and Fsmash sometimes, can reach him.

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
I play Koolaid once in a while and his Pit is better than most.

Pit sucks. It's not a super bad matchup... but it's annoying as ****! He can and will out camp you so you need to make sure you close the distance when an opening presents itself. Once in a blue moon you can Nayru's his **** back at him. Speaking of Naryu's, occasionally if you get hit by his Fsmash and you DI up you can Nayru's and use the invincibility frames to avoid the second hit as well as hit him. It doesn't happen often and you really need to know that it's gonna be coming.

Overall he has a slight advantage on the ground because he can outrange us easier than we can outrange him. You need to get the lead by killing him early, as long as you watch out for his bair you should be killing him at an earlier percentage than he will kill you. When he is recovering if he has to use glide or his up b (which isn't often at all) he is Din's bate or you could be more daring and go for the gimp.

Overall I would say 45 - 55 Zelda.

JK. Either 45-55 or 40-60 Pit.

If you wanna ask anything specific go for it. I was just going over what popped into my head.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I pretty much agree with G@H on this matchup. some stages make the matchup seem fairly near to even, but in general the matchup slightly favours pit.

The only comment I really have on the matchup is this: Pit isn't amazingly good, he's just really really annoying.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
Guys don't you know 60:40 is an even matchup when it comes to Zelda? :awesome:

Riot, should we ever be mindful if Pit does some Arrow lopping? or does that just not happen to Zelda?

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
well, I think this is one of the most annoying MU's... I mean... arrow spam, that stupid voice of Pit, and that taunt where he opens his wings(don't know which one is) just make me go mad.

well, the only good or decent Pit I play gives me trouble, but not that much trouble. the thing is that if the pit is in autopilot the arrow spam is very easy to PS, but that just doesn't happen :c

many of his attacks are multihit attacks so we can SDI out of them, but that doesn't neccesarily mean it's very easy. Fsmash is the hardest for me.

I don't know what to do when he's shooting arrows from the ledge, if I get to close he can Uair... so most of the time I just PS the arrows(or attempt to do it) or dodge them and see if he wants to get back on the stage... I even try to hit him with din's but well, it doesn't work too often. Any good advice for this?

I think that's all I can write for now

EDIT: I forgot ratio lol

-1 or -2 for us ._.

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
Koolaid can arrow loop perfectly so I've seen it and been hit by it a few times, but once you see it a few times you will basically know where they are coming from. Once you know when they are doing it you can make the decision to air dodge, drop lower, jump, or just take the hit (which is sometimes the best option if he has set a trap for you). Overall arrow looping does not make or break this matchup for either of them.

Fuujin

Smash Champion
I'll seriously contribute to this thread instead of trolling but only because I'm stuck at the airport for 2 more hours.

:linkbrawl: is -1 imo.
A good link isn't going to die easily with his weight/DI and whiplash.
I covered this a while ago in a thread but I used to play Legan regularly(even though I'm not good enough to get a true ratio :awesome:) and its a typical case of; Campy character vs character than can't approach very well.
It's not as bad as Toon link or Olimar in this regard but I still think she loses.

:jigglypuff:
Whoever gets the lead has the easier time.
We beat her grounded she beats us aerial.
I would have it at -1 because Jigglypuff can easily time Zelda out but she dies at like 90 and Zelda's up smash > almost all of her approach options.

:samusbrawl:
Same as with Link but her camping is more effective, Samus has a field day on Zelda because she's tall, slow, floaty, no approach, bad recovery, etc.
Not to mention Samus doesn't really have trouble killing Zelda as much as she does some other characters.
Nayru's is pretty much useless in this match up unless the samus is dumb with her charge shots.
If you reflect something you'll just end up eating another projectile or Z-air.

:falconbrawl:
0 on stages like Smashville and FD
But overall -1 because any stage with multiple platforms(BF, Delfino) or any aerial based stage(Rainbow, BRINSTAR, Norfair) Falcon beats Zelda pretty bad.
He just has too many stages he beats her at and she lacks too many stages(if any) where she beats him at for it to be 0.
When playing him though keep in mind his approach is about as bad as Zelda's, try to stay grounded and don't jump around or approach like I did vs Ally.

:bowserbrawl:
I'm gonna say 0
Nobody uses Bowser so this one I'm not even sure about but he's fat and easy to sweet spot lightning kick, but he still doesn't die so early and has kill power.

:mariobrawl:
His fire balls are really annoying for Zelda and leave you slowly inching toward him while constantly shielding.
He can't kill so great but he can juggle Zelda pretty well because of her terrible landing options.

:lucas:
Trust me, Lucas is pretty hard for Zelda.
I've played FAE enough and can get him to attest to this.
He's way too fast for Zelda in the air and even out speeds her on the ground.
His kill moves aren't reliable against most cases but because Zelda's always approaching TRYING to get in it leaves her open to them.
If he wasn't so hard to catch with magnet pull and pk fire pushing him away then it could maybe be -1.
Also Zelda won't be gimping Lucas :/, at all.

:yoshibrawl:
Oddly enough Zelda does decent on him imo.
I think a lot of it has to do with his lack of OOS options.
He's like the only character other than another Zelda you can get away with using n-air without getting shield grabbed.
Nayru's can actually reflect eggs without getting punished most of the time and her d tilt to b-air is really helpful.

:pt:
After playing the pokeman trainer in CA(mata I think?) and Apostle(I think?) I think I understand this a little more.
:squirtle:
Squirtle is the main reason its -1, he's just really fast and he's Juggles Zelda very easily.
Even on the ground you have to be careful with his super fast jab.
d-tilt can stop his grounded approach or f smash if you can get it out in time.
I've found Squirtle often approaches with f-air too, if you can predict this up smash can eat through it and it kills him really early.
Try to stay grounded, going aerial will just get you juggled and potentially set up in bad positions with water gun.
:ivysaur:
Ivysaur is sort of similar to Zelda in the way that they both sort of wait for the opponent to approach.
Ivysaur has some gimmicks, never roll into
it/her and don't fall for its up smash and bullet seed.
If you do however, get hit by bullet seed and you're pretty close to Ivysaur when it connects you can DI down and out of it and punish with a lightning kick.
Din's sorta beats razor leaf sometimes, aim it in a downard arc so that when Zelda gets hit, so does Ivysaur.
Don't be afriad to go offstage against it, its recovery is terrible, just make sure you time your ledge hogs.
:charizard:
Rock smash is really weird :/
You can probably DI it some something though, just try not to get caught in it.
It beats out Nayru's and occasionally F-smash.
His grab is what Zelda's could have been if it didn't come out so damn slow.
It's really nice and can sometimes
Treat this like a Dedede somewhat.
Scare him off with b-airs cause he's fat and don't forward smash.
DI up and away or over him depending on where he catches you at with fire breath and watch out for him using it to pressure the ledge.
Watch out of his b-air at kill percents.

:nessbrawl:
His f-air makes approaching a pain in the *** because he's able to wall out all of Zelda's aerials.
Din's can only be used very situationally in this match up but you can get away with it more than you can against Lucas.
Again, stay grounded in this MU, going aerial just sets you up for b-air, f-air and his grabs when landing.
If you get hit by pk fire you can use Nayru's to escape and you should be safe from punish. because of how long it last.
I wouldn't risk trying to spike or gimp him with d-air due to how bad it can end.
You can however, time Din's to hit PKT2 and it might be able to shorten the travel distance enough to gimp him.

:sheik:
-1(though I'm inclined to say -2)
Sheiks really fast and will be all over Zelda once she gets her in the air.
Sheiks going to be knocking Zelda around and especially at lower percents but it kinda stops working around 60-70.
For every 3 hits Sheik does, Zelda only needs one.
She's light and easy to kill so whole she may have the damage lead by like 50, she's at risk from being killed so early.
Needles are annoying but if you manage to reflect a charged needle toss its likely to hit due to ending lag.
When she's camping with singles is when youlle have to just or powersheild.
Just be careful when jumping not to leave yourself open to a dash grab or dacus.
I think this could be -2 with an extremely patient Sheik, though I've. Never had trouble with one though.

:ike:
Ike's tough for Zelda.
She has no answers to his f-air, his jab kinda beats her aerial game and his aerials are pretty affective in general against her.
Don't try appoaching, try to get him to come to you.
Even when you're in the air don't fall torward him, his pivot grab is really nice and you're likely to get caught in it.
Don't combat him off stage or near the ledge unless its with Din's fire.
I can't stress enough, don't approach.
Even when he's at kill percentages, you need to be very wary of his pivote grab and back air, only go for a kill when you think you have a good chance of landing it.
For those of you saying we can camp him, I'm pretty sure his n-air beats Din's, even if it doesn't he can always counter.

:sonic:
He's waaaay too fast for Zelda.
He runs circles around her.
The only way this would be -1 or 0 is if the Sonic was trying to rush at you.
Zelda can fend him off well enough but once he starts running away and playing patiently she's screwed, down tilt stops his approaches nicely though.
You should probably avoid using Din's unless he's offstage.
All of his spinning attacks go through it and he can be in your face before it detonates.
Fortunatly he can't kill but he's so fast that Zelda can't keep up with him.
Another match up where she should stay grounded.
I think the key to doing well on him is landing an early kill.

:wolf:
This is where things start getting ugly.
Wolf pretty much out classes Zelda in everything.
He out camps her, kills her pretty early, ***** her offstage, out spaces her with back air and so on.
Scary it may be possible to combat b-air with but keep in mind wolfs amazing airspeed, and the speed his back air comes out compared to her f-tilt.
Its very unlikely to be able to pull it off consecutively.
His b air is sorta the main reason he beats her so bad, its hard for her on stage but even worse while she's airborne.
Try your best not to get above him, his up air can juggle you and his down smash wrecks her when she's trying to land.
You might be able to powershield blaster but its not like Zeldas fast enough to punish.
So you're kinda forced to approach, yet when you do you get shut down.
Then you get ***** in the air on top of that.

:luigibrawl:
Another weird character.
I played Yosh1 had next to no idea what I was doing.
He's really odd and can kill hella, so I just try to keep away.
He slides pretty far on sheild and has bad airspeed so he has a poor approach.
I find Zelda can't really combat his back air when spaced properly due to her lack of OOS options other than d-smash.
Don't combat him in the air (notice the trend in this play style) and especially watch out for n-air.
Zelda's d-tilt stops his tornado thing though, but be sure to SDI it when you do get hit by it.
Be careful when he's below you and on the ground, he slides far so he can catch you with a charged up smash.
His jab shenanigans...I'm not sure about those.
Just stay away from him, he's scary D: and confuses me.

:dkbrawl:
His b-air is the main reason this is -2.
It's sorta like Wolfs because its really hard for her to get past.
He can harass her off stage with it and then punish her hard when she tries to recover.
Be careful against DK, you can be winning by a decent percent only to get killed by one of his many powerful attacks.
Try to scare him off with your own b-air if he's going for a grounded approach and keep in mind the d-tilt kill set up.
If he does that copter thing across the stage you can pivot grab him with the right timing.
Don't try to hit him out of it though.
And never challenge his giant punch.

:peach:
This certainly isn't anywhere near even.
I understand where some of you may be getting this from, I've played good Peaches I've been able to hold my own against but I didn't realize how much an aggressive peach ***** Zelda.
I'd played Nicole(regularly) and King Beef and their play styles are a little more passive than Silly Kyle and Illmatic.
When Nicole does go more aggressive its like a 2 stock.
When Peach is aggressive with short hopped d-air to float canceled jab, there's literally nothing Zelda can do against it.
Peaches close range game overwhelms Zelda.
She might suck at killing and be a light weight but when she's constantly on your *** using moves you can't punish she's going to deal damage so much faster than Zelda.
Din's is pretty useless along with Nayru's and
she even covers our landing options with float.
Float pretty much makes her **** Zelda.

:pit:
Don't have too much exp with this match up and I think it would be -1 if it wasn't for ledge camping.
Arrows are really annoying on stage and off, Nayru's is again, too slow, as is Din's.
Pit can't really kill well but Zelda's a pretty easy target for his b-air.
Learn to SDI a lot of his attacks so they won't do as much damage.
Another reason id give this -2 is because he's got a guaranteed way to escape from Up smash with his DI :/.
That can make killing him frustrating :/.

Top Bottom