• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda's model yay or nay?

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I just want I hyrule warriors alt for her link, ganondorf and possibly even sheik. They are by far my favourite designs in the series

I mean just look at her, she's gourgeous

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
Thankfully they've put a blonde alt in. The brunette was really hideous in brawl (looked like royal Kristen stewart) and they completely botched her look. TP Zelda> Brawl Zelda any day!

Now back to ssb4...
Zelda is a blonde, and Skyward Sword only helped reaffirm that! They're probably only keeping her current (lame) hair color because they're keeping her in the bottom tier and it is to signify that she is just as terrible now as she was in brawl.

I personally can't wait till the SSBB incarnation of her dies, because I grow tired of decade old designs.

Last edited:

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Twilight princess Zelda was the most beautiful in my opinion. Zelda looked more naturally beautiful in TP than any other game. Skyward Sword also made me hate blonde Zelda more, as I think SS was her worst design.... Ever.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Twilight princess Zelda was the most beautiful in my opinion. Zelda looked more naturally beautiful in TP than any other game. Skyward Sword also made me hate blonde Zelda more, as I think SS was her worst design.... Ever.
The only blonde zelda I've ever liked is hyrule warriors, all the other look really generic and boring, skyward sword has to be the worst though, I love her characterisation, hate the design

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
My thoughts exactly…
Zelda-1.jpg

How are the other Zelda's generic when we have TP Zelda over here who was locked in a tower 95% of the game.
A princess locked away in a tower sounds much more generic to me than being blonde...

Last edited:

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
My thoughts exactly…
View attachment 19027

How are the other Zelda's generic when we have TP Zelda over here who was locked in a tower 95% of the game.
A princess locked away in a tower sounds much more generic to me than being blonde...
We're talking about designs... The fact that she was trapped in a tower has nothing to do with her design. In my opinion, TP Zelda has the best design.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
My thoughts exactly…
View attachment 19027

As ihskeyp said we're talking about the designs, looks wise the only one imo that doesn't look like a generic princess is the TP zelda, she's dark, brooding and mysterious and the fact that you know nothing about her adds to that.
SS zelda is the generic bubbly, ditsy princess and I just find her boring

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
My thoughts exactly…
View attachment 19027

SS Zelda was there for only 80% of the game and then was kidnapped at the end.
TP Zelda was an important plot point halfway through the game and had surrendered, she was a freaking prisoner of war. I always got the feeling that she couldn't leave, not just grabbed and kidnapped. Than she was a boss (Although I don't know if Phantom Zelda counts) and aided Link in the end. At the very least, she tried which is more than SS Zelda can say.
As ihskeyp said we're talking about the designs, looks wise the only one imo that doesn't look like a generic princess is the TP zelda, she's dark, brooding and mysterious and the fact that you know nothing about her adds to that.
SS zelda is the generic bubbly, ditsy princess and I just find her boring
TP Zelda is the matriarch, you're not supposed to know about her, she's the greater good that everyone looks to when things are going wrong (Midna dying, Ganondof's charge at the end).
SS Zelda had more development though.
But yeah, I do like TP Zelda, and I love that she's a brunette, there's not enough of those.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
TP Zelda was an important plot point halfway through the game and had surrendered, she was a freaking prisoner of war. I always got the feeling that she couldn't leave, not just grabbed and kidnapped. Than she was a boss (Although I don't know if Phantom Zelda counts) and aided Link in the end. At the very least, she tried which is more than SS Zelda can say.

TP Zelda is the matriarch, you're not supposed to know about her, she's the greater good that everyone looks to when things are going wrong (Midna dying, Ganondof's charge at the end).
But yeah, I do like TP Zelda, and I love that she's a brunette, there's not enough of those.
I think SS zelda is good personality and characterisation wise but the design, it's just generic and a bit boring tbh

Last edited:

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
I think SS zelda is good personality and characterisation wise but the design, it's just generic and a bit boring tbh
Oh yeah, she had character development that's only beaten by ST Zelda. Her design was also unique but she never quite clicked with me.
SS Zelda felt like a giggly school girl to me.
She wasn't that bad.

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman

That's the problem she was a PLOT POINT not a full fleshed out character. Well skyward sword Zelda kept Demise sealed for thousands of years which is much more of an accomplishment then hitting Ganon with a few arrows.
Zelda's whole role in TP was a plot hole, she was thrown in the game and wasn't even needed.

Looks wise TP Zelda is just a retcon version of OoT Zelda. She's nothing special. This makes her more generic than SS Zelda (explain how she was ditzy). TP Zelda wasn't even a true brunette that was just SSBB lack of detail.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
That's the problem she was a PLOT POINT not a full fleshed out character. Well skyward sword Zelda kept Demise sealed for thousands of years which is much more of an accomplishment then hitting Ganon with a few arrows.
Zelda's whole role in TP was a plot hole, she was thrown in the game and wasn't even needed.

Looks wise TP Zelda is just a retcon version of OoT Zelda. She's nothing special. This makes her more generic than SS Zelda (explain how she was ditzy). TP Zelda wasn't even a true brunette that was just SSBB lack of detail.
SS zelda imo just looks like that classic, cute, blonde, ditzy princess. Design wise she's nothing special

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace

Looks wise TP Zelda is just a retcon version of OoT Zelda. She's nothing special. TP Zelda wasn't even a true brunette that was just SSBB lack of detail.
The scene where Zelda gives up her (Life, triforce, body?) to Midna is really intense, it's one of my favorite scene in the series. It builds up, shows off Midna weak and helpless, than there's Zelda. When you watch the scene you can see it, just her realizing what's going on, how it's happening and what needs to be done. She does it. For the entire story her hands had been tied but here's her chance, here's her chance to change to make the difference. It may be a plot point but it's a really good one. TP Zelda is really subtle and you have to look for it.

upload_2014-7-22_18-18-54.jpeg

They have few design similarities beyond the shoulder armor and banner. ST Zelda looks closer to OoT Zelda.
The Banner design (how it hangs on her hips), the crown, the middle piece of the armor, the gloves and dressed is detailed, the hair including the style and color are very different. The coloring is different, TP Zelda's dress is off white while OoT is pink. The top is different too. TP Zelda doesn't have a collar...
Shall I go on?
So what if she has blond streaks? I'm a brunette and because I go outside a lot my hair has natural steaks too, although not as pronounced as her. Brawl Zelda has other differences from TP Zelda.
SS zelda imo just looks like that classic, cute, blonde, ditzy princess. Design wise she's nothing special
I don't particularly love SS Zelda, but I don't hate her. So don't be mean.

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
Didn't look like a princess to me. Ditzy implies that Zelda was a scatter brain, at which point in the story was this portrayed?
Design wise she looked like a younger and blonde TP Zelda with a derpier face.

But TP did in-fact look like a retcon of OoT Zelda, this time with even less importance to the story.

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
The scene where Zelda gives up her (Life, triforce, body?) to Midna is really intense, it's one of my favorite scene in the series. It builds up, shows off Midna weak and helpless, than there's Zelda. When you watch the scene you can see it, just her realizing what's going on, how it's happening and what needs to be done. She does it. For the entire story her hands had been tied but here's her chance, here's her chance to change to make the difference. It may be a plot point but it's a really good one. TP Zelda is really subtle and you have to look for it.

View attachment 19031
They have few design similarities beyond the shoulder armor and banner. ST Zelda looks closer to OoT Zelda.
The Banner design (how it hangs on her hips), the crown, the middle piece of the armor, the gloves and dressed is detailed, the hair including the style and color are very different. The coloring is different, TP Zelda's dress is off white while OoT is pink. The top is different too. TP Zelda doesn't have a collar...
Shall I go on?
So what if she has blond streaks? I'm a brunette and because I go outside a lot my hair has natural steaks too, although not as pronounced as her. Brawl Zelda has other differences from TP Zelda.

I don't particularly love SS Zelda, but I don't hate her. So don't be mean.
I know i'm double posting! (sorry in advance)

Okay, but that proves to be a plot hole later on. If Zelda gave away her Triforce she would have become a spirit like the civilians, however she just disappears and then randomly reappears at the end. If she gave away her body then why was her body randomly back in hyrule castle for the finale, if she gave away her spirit then why does her body disappear (we would have seen something like spirit tracks)

Now the definition of RETCON is to "revise (an aspect of a fictional work) retrospectively, typically by introducing a piece of new information that imposes a different interpretation on previously described events."

TP Zelda is very much a retcon of OoT Zelda. TP takes all of her traits from her, all of them. TP Zelda is nothing special, she is nothing more than an OoT ripoff. Hell, she was even supposed to have her own version of sheik.
(Toon Zelda is also based off of OoT Zelda)

TP Zelda had potential for sure, but it was squandered away.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Didn't look like a princess to me. Ditzy implies that Zelda was a scatter brain, at which point in the story was this portrayed?
Design wise she looked like a younger and blonde TP Zelda with a derpier face.

But TP did in-fact look like a retcon of OoT Zelda, this time with even less importance to the story.
SS zelda looks ditzy in the same way peach does, she just has that look. The design works for SS I guess but as a zelda design, meh. I don't find it very appealing

Last edited:

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
No it's just that she has that child-like sort of feel to her, very cutesy
Okay, but Zelda is supposed to be a wise young girl. In fact Zelda is almost always portrayed as more child like. TP is the only game in which Zelda exceeds the age of 20. So why should we let one (mediocre) game dictate the portrayal of this character forever? It's like false advertising.
Zelda OOt.png

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Okay, but Zelda is supposed to be a wise young girl. In fact Zelda is almost always portrayed as more child like. TP is the only game in which Zelda exceeds the age of 20. So why should we let one (mediocre) game dictate the portrayal of this character forever? It's like false advertising.
View attachment 19047
I'm talking about the adult zelda's which are the zelda's most people recognise. Wise, calm, reserved like her appearances in OoT and TP, she may have had appearances where she appeared more child like but that's because she is a child in those games

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
I'm talking about the adult zelda's which are the zelda's most people recognise. Wise, calm, reserved like her appearances in OoT and TP, she may have had appearances where she appeared more child like but that's because she is a child in those games
_57c8a1a431a592af806925e57258202f.png

Jokes aside, Zelda is a child/ teen in most games and therefore should be portrayed as such. Why must she be portrayed in her decade old designs? Her countless iterations as a child and teenager far beat out the two iterations that portray her as an adult.

And I don't think people are that stupid that they wouldn't recognize the younger appearances of Zelda. By that Logic people shouldn't have recognized TP Zelda because she is the only brunette incarnation.

I don't understand why SSB is trying to portray the Zelda series as some Dark and Mature franchise when it clearly isn't.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Yes, and Zelda is a child/ teen like in most games and therefore should be portrayed as such. Why must she be portrayed in her decade old designs? Her countless iterations as a child and teenager far beat out the two iterations that portray her as an adult.

And I don't think people are that stupid that they wouldn't recognize the younger appearances of Zelda. By that Logic people shouldn't have recognized TP Zelda because she is the only brunette incarnation.

I don't understand why SSB is trying to portray the Zelda series as some Dark and Mature franchise when it clearly isn't.
Because these designs are more iconic and recognisable. People generally prefer the OoT/TP styles

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Honestly, I think that the TP look have been chosen because Ganondorf, and nothing else.

Maybe a bit because Smash 64 portrayed Link as an adult, so Smash "must" use the adult characters.

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
Because these designs are more iconic and recognisable. People generally prefer the OoT/TP styles
How are those specific incarnations iconic. Every new Zelda incarnation becomes the face of the franchise.

Honestly, I think that the TP look have been chosen because Ganondorf, and nothing else.

Maybe a bit because Smash 64 portrayed Link as an adult, so Smash "must" use the adult characters.
I believe it was Ganon as well, not so much N64 Link.

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace

*Toon Link and Young Link not withstanding*
Of course Adult Link was what they had at the time. There wasn't really much of the idea of a young Link back then.
At the rate it's going though I suspect that TP Ze
At the rate it's going though I suspect that TP Zelda will become iconic if it already isn't. If you google Princess Zelda most of the image results are TP Zelda or something similar.
I would also like to point out something:

The money doesn't lie, LoZ is a lot more popular in America than it is in Japan and not only that TP is the only game that has come even close to rivaling OoT with Wind Waker at it's heels. Say what you will about the chart's accuracy but Twilight Princess is a good bit more popular than Skyward Sword.

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
Just going to point out LTTP Zelda became "The" design for Zelda not OoT.

Yes, TP sold a lot but this was due to hype. A lot of my friends who hate Zelda bought it due to the hype and never played past the opening. Sales really don't mean much. TP isn't that well liked.

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
Just going to point out LTTP Zelda became "The" design for Zelda not OoT.

Yes, TP sold a lot but this was due to hype. A lot of my friends who hate Zelda bought it due to the hype and never played past the opening. Sales really don't mean much. TP isn't that well liked.
The Wii version did a lot better than the Game cube version. That's kind of crazy, if you combine them.... they almost rival Ocarina of Time. Jesus did that game sell a lot and that chart probably doesn't include the 3DS.
That hasn't been my experience. I have one friend who can't get past the water temple but she's terrible at video games in general. For the most part TP Zelda has been well received, you are the first person I have ever met in person or online who didn't like her.
But if we want to look at money, TP wins by a land slide.
Also I want to point out that your attitude to TP Zelda doesn't even matter at this point. We have established that SS Zelda will be an alt, I don't know what you're worried about and I am so tired of seeing SS Zelda being brought up on the Zelda boards. We have TP Zelda, will most likely get SS Zelda.
I want to talk about this beauty:

Or this one:
upload_2014-7-22_22-33-32.jpeg

Can I say how much I love Spirit Tracks Zelda?
Good god.
She is such a dork and it's so enjoyable. You don't even understand. She starts at trying to be the stereotypical princess, Wise like TP/ OoT Zelda than she goes to the damsel distress where she thinks "I'm going to stick around here." Than over the game she just develops into the character is very willingly able to stand in front of demon king and say "Let's kick a**." She's the perfect combination of bada** and dorky girlishness that I can help but to love every bit of her. And her interaction with Link is so great, you can just watch their friendship growing.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Everyone is allowed to have different opinions. I prefer TP Zelda, not because she's a brunette, but because the design is much more beautiful and mysterious than most of her other designs. Nobody needs to be hostile while talking about the design of a character, because again we all have different opinions.

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
Everyone is allowed to have different opinions. I prefer TP Zelda, not because she's a brunette, but because the design is much more beautiful and mysterious than most of her other designs. Nobody needs to be hostile while talking about the design of a character, because again we all have different opinions.
If we all had the same opinion it would suck.

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
Yes! There would be nothing to talk about! But regarding some other people, there is no point in arguing about having a difference in opinions.
We would stagnate if there was not a constant and consistent flow of new ideas in a society.
I just got all philosophical on a thread for a magical princess video game character about what she will wear.
This isn't what my mother wanted for me.

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
  • I don't hate TP Zelda, she just get's too much praise for what she's worth. Im just here to remind people that.
  • SS doesn't have a confirmed alt, and thus I will ***** about it until we do. (I'm a whiner)
  • I just like arguing for the sake of arguing, I'm not trying to be hostile.
  • ST Zelda is my favourite too
tumblr_inline_mpybpxqFPb1qz4rgp.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom