• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda's model yay or nay?

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
If you don't like TP than I'm going to appeal to you with Spirit Tracks, which is probably right up there with my favorite Zeldas. I mean you spend the entire game with her and that's easily her most active role. I'm actually really glad they added in the phantom, as it shows off a true ability of Zelda from an actual game, not shoehorned in abilities that Link had in Oot. I don't think SS Zelda is bad, but her personality didn't quite click with me as she lacked the feisty tsundere attitude of her toon form and the mature, elegant persona of her console iterations.

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
^Haha at least she had a personality though. I do agree that ST was a great game, rare to find someone with that opinion. I too was happy that they added the phantom to her move set.

Last edited:

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
It really was a shame that ST was so short though. I have all the support for a toon Zelda, but I guess with the phantom we won't be getting one.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
I love Zelda's angry face (see my avatar)
I dunno, it's funny seeing a usually stoic incarnation being surprised or angry.

Luisc7033

Smash Rookie
Am i the only one put off by Zelda's braid wraps in Smash 4. They look kinda overgrown.. also her necklace isn't attached to anything? Either way, Twilight Princess Zelda just seems to be a great fit for smash 4 because it adds diversity to her (being brunette) and it has this battle ready feel to it. I also like the Phantom's extra detailing to better suit TP

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
Am i the only one put off by Zelda's braid wraps in Smash 4. They look kinda overgrown.. also her necklace isn't attached to anything? Either way, Twilight Princess Zelda just seems to be a great fit for smash 4 because it adds diversity to her (being brunette) and it has this battle ready feel to it. I also like the Phantom's extra detailing to better suit TP
Her braids look much nicer, not overgrown at all. Clipping is what makes the necklace look unattached. Yea Twilight Princess is okay- Kind of annoying using a 7 year old character model, but whatever- also she's almost always blonde so I don't get the anti-blonde Zelda parade. Phantom still has toon style proportions, and its detailing doesn't make it look anymore like TP to me.

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
Her braids look much nicer, not overgrown at all. Clipping is what makes the necklace look unattached. Yea Twilight Princess is okay- Kind of annoying using a 7 year old character model, but whatever- also she's almost always blonde so I don't get the anti-blonde Zelda parade. Phantom still has toon style proportions, and its detailing doesn't make it look anymore like TP to me.
I think in recent pictures they've fixed her necklace/shoulder armor, it was probably just glitching that they hadn't solved when she was first announced. Personally I like Zelda as a brunette and I'm a brunette.... it makes her unique okay! I don't mind blond Zelda though! <3
Phantom is very Spirit Tracks, it looks like Zelda is actually possessing it. Maybe Toon Zelda is actually inside, chilling and waiting for her moment to steal the spot light! What if Toon Zelda was a taunt! Like Link's fairy, Toon Zelda in her ghost form floats around Zelda before disappearing. That would be so cute although it be a big middle finger to some people rooting for her to be playable.

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
tumblr_mrgctfdwIY1s7sk51o2_500.gif

Zelda's shoulder armour being unattached is something that has been around since melee, it's just inevitable in some positions.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Oh gosh, don't even get me started on those trash beta Zelda pictures.

That shoulder armour. :awesome:

Cookie if you see what's wrong with Zelda here. :p She's pointing at it.

And another pic of Phantom Slash's beta pose shoulder derp.

inb4dsmasharmglitchisinssb4.

Last edited:

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
Oh gosh, don't even get me started on those trash beta Zelda pictures.

That shoulder armour. :awesome:

Cookie if you see what's wrong with Zelda here. :p She's pointing at it.

And another pic of Phantom Slash's beta pose shoulder derp.

inb4dsmasharmglitchisinssb4.
I'm pretty sure they fixed it.
Expect here.

And here's another problem. She's channeling Elsa.

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
Forget I said anything.

The problem

Is not

fixed at all. Look at her arm. I'm pretty sure that's not how hands hand.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I don't think the shoulder armour ever looked attached in any artwork or screenshot. It's absurd in real life, but who cares. It looks cool to me. :p

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
Now if they went with SS Zelda this wouldn't be a problem now would it.View attachment 17374
SS Zelda has a lot less moving pieces on her, including no armor. However I still believe she would have hand problems, I mean look at that picture. The anatomy is so off it hurts. SS Zelda is also a fair bit smaller I'd imagine. I'm still trying to figure out what her alt is going to look like because I assume she's going to get one for SS. With Little Mac now having two alts (the pink sweatshirt and the wire frame) than we can guess everyone else will get two alternate costumes too. More chances for SS Zelda, I really want her because I also want to know what it would look like.
I don't think the shoulder armour ever looked attached in any artwork or screenshot. It's absurd in real life, but who cares. It looks cool to me. :p
It looks very cool. What gets me as that it seems like Hyrule Warriors isn't having a problem with it and that Zelda has similar armor. I doubt the detachment would be noticeable in game itself, just when you pause it. Like in Brawl and Melee.
In order to get it to work they'd need the center piece to move, which it isn't. So when she lifts up her arms, it'd have to lift up to make space. When she moves when arm out, like in her ftilt it has to move. right now that's not happening and it's really noticeable in all the still shots, it looks unprofessional. Really the armor design is just a bad design and completely impractical when you think about it.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
Bendy arms seem to be a common problem among the taller Sm4sh characters.
I dunno, I like her shoulder armor, impractical as it may be. It makes her appear slightly more menacing. Ideally, of course, they would fix the clipping issues. But this is Sm4sh and I've become accustomed to it.

On the bright side, at least it isn't Skyrim level clipping.

Last edited:

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
Bendy arms seem to be a common problem among the taller Sm4sh characters.
I dunno, I like her shoulder armor, impractical as it may be. It makes her appear slightly more menacing. Ideally, of course, they would fix the clipping issues. But this is Sm4sh and I've become accustomed to it.

On the bright side, at least it isn't Skyrim level clipping.
It makes her look more menacing because they widen her otherwise slender shoulders. I'm sure the fire helps too.
No matter how glitchy Zelda's armor gets I will always love her, with all of her imperfect-shoulder-armor-glitcheness.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
It makes her look more menacing because they widen her otherwise slender shoulders. I'm sure the fire helps too.
No matter how glitchy Zelda's armor gets I will always love her, with all of her imperfect-shoulder-armor-glitcheness.
Absolutely. And look at her official Sm4sh render. They're pointed in the art, which makes her seem imposing while also staying elegant.

Last edited:

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
Absolutely. And look at her official Sm4sh render. They're pointed in the art, which makes her seem imposing while also staying elegant.
I actually haven't noticed that, I through they looked different but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Now I know and I like it.

Luisc7033

Smash Rookie
I think in recent pictures they've fixed her necklace/shoulder armor, it was probably just glitching that they hadn't solved when she was first announced. Personally I like Zelda as a brunette and I'm a brunette.... it makes her unique okay! I don't mind blond Zelda though! <3
Phantom is very Spirit Tracks, it looks like Zelda is actually possessing it. Maybe Toon Zelda is actually inside, chilling and waiting for her moment to steal the spot light! What if Toon Zelda was a taunt! Like Link's fairy, Toon Zelda in her ghost form floats around Zelda before disappearing. That would be so cute although it be a big middle finger to some people rooting for her to be playable.
OH my GOD!!! you know what would be cool!!! You know how you see the little pikmin souls fly away when you kill a pikmin! What if Toon Zelda were to fly out and fade away everytime you killed the Phantom :grin::4zelda::zelda::zeldamelee:

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
And a little messed up.

But on another note, Skyward Sword Zelda = Adorable.
I suggested somewhere that we could have Toon Zelda as a taunt like Link's Fairy taunt. It would make since, given the phantom.
Twilight Princess Zelda= Badass
Don't worry, we'll probably get SS Zelda as an alt. I'm kind of looking forward to it.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Idk I thought SS Zelda looked amazing in the art

...and then I saw her in game and was appalled at how awful she looked
I must be the only one who liked Zelda's In-game appearance, I thought she was even cuter. You can't tell me that this doesn't look charming:

Farorae

Smash Ace
I must be the only one who liked Zelda's In-game appearance, I thought she was even cuter. You can't tell me that this doesn't look charming:
I just can't get passed how off her proportions are, she is way too thin and her shoulders are near nonexistent which makes her head look huge in comparison. I also always kind of felt weird about her nose and how her bangs look like they are glued to her hair and not actually part of her hair. But hey, everyone sees things differently.

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
Her artwork is infinitely better which is what they should've based her look after.
In game I thought some screens of her looked good and others looked too hideous for words.
When I first saw her, I thought they had destroyed Zelda's face. But on closer inspection it's just that really odd red
tinge that they added to her nose, and they did something wrong with the bangs.

If she looked like this (but in hd) I think she would have been fine…
al_120429_1756binout.jpg

Last edited:

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
I just can't get passed how off her proportions are, she is way too thin and her shoulders are near nonexistent which makes her head look huge in comparison. I also always kind of felt weird about her nose and how her bangs look like they are glued to her hair and not actually part of her hair. But hey, everyone sees things differently.
Holy... yeah, you're right.
Her proportions are way off, even for an anime character, her shoulders and really narrow, I mean seriously. Usually the shoulders for a female (7 1/2 heads) should be about a head wide while men have about 1 1/2 to 2 , it's barely even that for Zelda. Her arms are weird too, a 7 1/2 head character should have two head lengths for their arm entire arm, the fore arm and upper arm each one head.

8 heads= 6 foot character.
7 1/2 = about 5'5 give or take
Of course there are variations and stuff like that, how long you make the legs, you have proportion things etc. SS Zelda's a bit smaller, but even when I compensate for that she's still off. TP Zelda has a bit of the same problem, mostly with her upper body I believe but it's not as bad as SS Zelda.
Guys, this is why we pay careful attention to anatomy when we draw. Okay?

Farorae

Smash Ace
Holy... yeah, you're right.
Her proportions are way off, even for an anime character, her shoulders and really narrow, I mean seriously. Usually the shoulders for a female (7 1/2 heads) should be about a head wide while men have about 1 1/2 to 2 , it's barely even that for Zelda. Her arms are weird too, a 7 1/2 head character should have two head lengths for their arm entire arm, the fore arm and upper arm each one head.

8 heads= 6 foot character.
7 1/2 = about 5'5 give or take
Of course there are variations and stuff like that, how long you make the legs, you have proportion things etc. SS Zelda's a bit smaller, but even when I compensate for that she's still off. TP Zelda has a bit of the same problem, mostly with her upper body I believe but it's not as bad as SS Zelda.
Guys, this is why we pay careful attention to anatomy when we draw. Okay?
Yeah TP Zelda is a little bit off but SS Zelda looks like she has the head of a normal person on the body of a child. Honestly I know a person who is in an anorexic weight range and even her proportions look closer to normal than SS Zelda.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Well, Skyward Sword is not Wind Waker, but it's not Twilight Princess either. The game is quite stylised. They are humans... But not exactly.

I don't find it shocking personally.

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
Well, Skyward Sword is not Wind Waker, but it's not Twilight Princess either. The game is quite stylised. They are humans... But not exactly.

I don't find it shocking personally.
Lol, with you on this one.

It's a cartoon! This human anatomical stuff is laughable.
20140610212822!Zelda_(SSB_3DS_&_Wii_U).png

TP Zelda looks even worse when you get rid of her shoulder armour.

Last edited:

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
Lol, with you on this one.

It's a cartoon! This human anatomical stuff is laughable.
View attachment 18761
TP Zelda looks even worse when you get rid of her shoulder armour.
I could go into a really long rant about anatomy and art and how we perceive things but I won't because it's a really long rant. I have to think about this stuff when I draw, I'm really nit picky about anatomy and the poses, to me that's the most important thing. Saying it's a cartoon is a bad excuse.
TP Zelda looks off, but that's apart of the style, for the most part the anatomy of Super Smash bro has been dead on or dead off, that picture actually doesn't look that bad and I imagine they had to alter her a little to make the shoulder armor work. Oh well.
The anatomy on SS Zelda is just disgusting and now that I've seen it I really can not unsee it. What happened to her was probably some game designer trying to make her look even more cute by her smaller, smaller shoulders means less physical strength in the upper body, thus vulnerable. Thus cute. A bigger head, bigger eyes, cuter. She looks like a child with an adult head. I understand what they were going for but they went too far. This is a common mistake in a lot of anime too.

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
I could go into a really long rant about anatomy and art and how we perceive things but I won't because it's a really long rant. I have to think about this stuff when I draw, I'm really nit picky about anatomy and the poses, to me that's the most important thing. Saying it's a cartoon is a bad excuse.
TP Zelda looks off, but that's apart of the style, for the most part the anatomy of Super Smash bro has been dead on or dead off, that picture actually doesn't look that bad and I imagine they had to alter her a little to make the shoulder armor work. Oh well.
The anatomy on SS Zelda is just disgusting and now that I've seen it I really can not unsee it. What happened to her was probably some game designer trying to make her look even more cute by her smaller, smaller shoulders means less physical strength in the upper body, thus vulnerable. Thus cute. A bigger head, bigger eyes, cuter. She looks like a child with an adult head. I understand what they were going for but they went too far. This is a common mistake in a lot of anime too.
It's a cartoon. Cartoons tend to have big heads and small bodies. Plus, SS Zelda looks perfectly fine to me.

Whats "TP Zelda looks off, but that's apart of the style" supposed to mean? Sounds like a really lame cop out.
SS Zelda was perfectly fine, and looked proportionally fine as well.
I understand that everyone loves TP Zelda so much and she is completely flawless and nothing is wrong with her at all (other then the fact that her very existence in TP is a plot hole) but lay off the SS hate train because it's getting tiring.

....And I highly doubt they tried to make her cuter by making her shoulders smaller. TP would look just as weak if she didn't have her shoulder armour

Sorry if I sound condescending.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
So it's very obvious Smash Zelda will get a blonde alt but what does SS Zelda look like with Brown hair and a Purple dress?

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
So it's very obvious Smash Zelda will get a blonde alt but what does SS Zelda look like with Brown hair and a Purple dress?
Zelda.jpg

Matches TP Zelda's personality too. Probably what she was doing up in the tower the duration of the game, lol!

Last edited:
Top Bottom