• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda's alt costumes

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
So about the Zelda's alt colors...

We saw 3 colors during the Smashfest: Brawl's blue and Red outfit, plus a new one, Purple, with what it looks to be some blond hair with a weird color. (hard to tell, looking only at offscreen gameplays)

At first I thought: "Damn, they replaced OoT's color), but after some thinking... I wonder if it's just a new color, referencing Toon Zelda and the Phantom? That hair color really reminds me of Toon Zelda.

Any thoughts on that?

Edit: for those interested, here is Zelda's red color.

I always loved the fact she have no gloves on that color.

Last edited:

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
So about the Zelda's alt colors...

We saw 3 colors during the Smashfest: Brawl's blue and Red outfit, plus a new one, Purple, with what it looks to be some blond hair with a weird color. (hard to tell, looking only at offscreen gameplays)

At first I thought: "Damn, they replaced OoT's color), but after some thinking... I wonder if it's just a new color, referencing Toon Zelda and the Phantom? That hair color really reminds me of Toon Zelda.

Any thoughts on that?

Edit: for those interested, here is Zelda's red color.
I always loved the fact she have no gloves on that color.
I wouldn't say any costume has been replaced as of yet. Consider that everyone in the demo only had enough palettes for every player to choose the same character in a 4-for-all. Further, Wire Frame Mac, which we know is one of his palettes, wasn't present.

That said, I do believe her blonde/purple is to reference some of the older Zelda designs? Hard to tell what color it is with only off-screen shots.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I wouldn't say any costume has been replaced as of yet. Consider that everyone in the demo only had enough palettes for every player to choose the same character in a 4-for-all. Further, Wire Frame Mac, which we know is one of his palettes, wasn't present.

That said, I do believe her blonde/purple is to reference some of the older Zelda designs? Hard to tell what color it is with only off-screen shots.
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think that Purple Zelda is just new, like the new blue Mario. From what I saw, purple Zelda is way too different to OoT Zelda anyway, especially that piece of cloth in front of her dress (does this thing have a name anyway?)

I'm searching for a good video where we can see it, but I'm pretty sure that her hair color is the same as Toon Zelda.

The "best" thing I have so far is Zelda's Icon from the invitational tournament.

And it really seems to have that greenish color.

Last edited:

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
I don't see any green hair? looks plain blond to me, and doesn't seem to match any distinct incarnation of Zelda that we've seen before. Likely just made up.

Screen Shot 2014-06-16 at 7.12.29 PM.png

*On a side note the blue costume looks much better.

*They actually changed the crown for the Red alt costume, therefore I don't think its a toon zelda alt because they would have changed it to a purple crown.

Last edited:

Toadallstar2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BadInfluenceX
Found a video showing every alt colors: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcRlkX1QGUk

I... Don't really know what to think about the blonde alt, now. There's that greenish blonde hair, but the rest is not really from Toon Zelda.
Neat, thanks. The colors weren't something they focused on, so I'm sure she'll get more and for them to possibly be more vibrant. I think everyone gets like 6.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I don't see any green hair? looks plain blond to me, and doesn't seem to match any distinct incarnation of Zelda that we've seen before. Likely just made up.

View attachment 16416

*On a side note the blue costume looks much better.

*They actually changed the crown for the Red alt costume, therefore I don't think its a toon zelda alt because they would have changed it to a purple crown.
Well, it's hard to tell because it's off screen. But it doesn't seems "just yellow" to me. It looks like there's that greenish vibe typical of Toon Zelda.

But as I stated before, and as you remarked too, the rest seems just made up. So I think it's little sneaky reference. Only time will tell, we need better images.

Neat, thanks. The colors weren't something they focused on, so I'm sure she'll get more and for them to possibly be more vibrant. I think everyone gets like 6.
I hope we will get more than 6 per character this time. Wario proved it was possible to have more after all.

By the way, despite the obvious differences, I really hope that the Blonde Zelda will not override OoT Zelda, nor prevent a Hilda alt. But I don't really "fear" that: We had similar costumes in the past (yes I'm looking at you Sonic), and it looks like it can happen in this game as well (Zero Suit Samus' blue and... Blue alt, Pit's Red and Orange alt or even Greninja's Red and Pink alt). Sheik seems to have an OoT alt as well.

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
It is a pale yellow, but I feel this costume reminds me more of the animated series zelda haha. I would be a bit sad to see this costume take the place of the OoT zelda alt- just because that one is a little better looking in comparison to this- plus the fact that it is THE OoT Zelda, just makes it that much more awesome.

But perhaps this is just a beta costume and isn't final?

Last edited:

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
Welp Link got his Skyward Sword Alt Costume so Zelda will probably be getting one too.
Though I don't really think a retexture would work with Zelda's case :/
Jun-24-2014.jpg

Last edited:

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
I love that Link outfit, definitely the one I'll be using. And I'd love for Zelda to get one too, whether it be based off of her pure white gown or her Skyloft clothes.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
I will say I think a "hilda colored" alt color would be cool, because I love the idea of a purple hair Zelda.

But first, I require my black dress, 'villainous bleached blonde' Zelda.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Welp Link got his Skyward Sword Alt Costume so Zelda will probably be getting one too.
Though I don't really think a retexture would work with Zelda's case :/
View attachment 16958
Well, Link's Skyloft outfit is more or less the Hero's tunic, with sleeves, and without gloves, hat, and chainmail. But Zelda's Skyloft outfit have more differences with TP Zelda (obviously). So an actual alt costume can still happen, to me.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well, I'm not so sure about a model edit. More like the an extensive re-texture. I'll withhold judgement until I see it though.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Well, I'm not so sure about a model edit. More like the an extensive re-texture. I'll withhold judgement until I see it though.
Well, there's the sailcloth, her fringe, various accesories on the belt, bracelets that changes. Where Link's outfit is basically a hero's tunic with less elements (but patterns), Zelda is more different than the TP princess. Her model animations could fit perfectly on her though: same haircut (except the fringe), it's another dress, boots (no high heels).

I find the idea of a seperate 3D model plausible.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
On a more serious note, I am hoping for the return of green Zelda an black Zelda.

I think a WW themed Zelda would be pretty neat as well

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
Maybe Zelda can get a DLC Alternate costume that completely changes her Dress design? , (if Sakurai goes ahead with DLC)

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I'm not against DLC, but I think costumes as DLC is one of the last things I want to see in Smash.

... But I would certainly take it anyway if that happens :awesome:

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
It has to be a new 3d model- It just wouldn't work well otherwise. Though, considering Link I expect Zelda will just get a retexture and she'll look very loosely based off of her skyward sword design.
al_120429_1756binout.jpg

Something like this would be great though.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
It could be free dlc awarded to the player by doing some challenge with Zelda?
Well, if it's free, ok (obviously. Free content = cool)

But... If it's an award for challenges, then it's not a DLC?

I don't see a downloadable content that you can only download after certains tasks, honestly... :troll:

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Yeah, when I hear DLC, it better mean FREE DLC.

I think Sakurai is more inclined to do free dlc (If any) and he has done it (once) for MK8 in the new car. So if there isn't enough tie BEFORE the release of Smash 4, then he might develop some things after. (Even perhaps veterans not that there weren't enough time to add now has been speculated as a DLC option.)

Last edited:

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
Well, if it's free, ok (obviously. Free content = cool)

But... If it's an award for challenges, then it's not a DLC?

I don't see a downloadable content that you can only download after certains tasks, honestly... :troll:
LOL right xD. Fixed.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I have to say, though, adding costumes for the sake of adding costumes is not the right thing to do.

Personally, when I look at the veterans, I only see Ganondorf, Zelda, and Ike who could really benefit from having a second costume. FE9 Ike, Skyward Sword Zelda and Ocarina of Time Ganondorf are all popular (I guess) and important (and it widen a bit the Zelda games represented). Plus, I do think that the costume must have several differencies to be "effective" as costumes.

Hyrule Warriors' Zelda is different enough from TP Zelda to work correctly.

L2 Sentinel

Smash Apprentice
I have to say, though, adding costumes for the sake of adding costumes is not the right thing to do.

Personally, when I look at the veterans, I only see Ganondorf, Zelda, and Ike who could really benefit from having a second costume. FE9 Ike, Skyward Sword Zelda and Ocarina of Time Ganondorf are all popular (I guess) and important (and it widen a bit the Zelda games represented). Plus, I do think that the costume must have several differencies to be "effective" as costumes.

While Zelda has one of the strongest cases for having a least one alternate model as opposed to just retextures of the same model, I see Mario getting a Dr. Mario costume before either Ganondorf or Ike get the Wario treatment.

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053

I totally agree with you. I seriously hope we will actually get an alternate costume for each character though.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I totally agree with you. I seriously hope we will actually get an alternate costume for each character though.
Well, for example, I love the Zelda serie, but I do not think Link, Sheik and Toon Link needs costumes, actually. After all, Link is known for his green tunic, more than anything else.

There's also characters where an alt costumes just can't happen like Kirby or Game & Watch. (well, pretty sure Sakurai could be able to do a Miss Game & Watch :troll:)

I honestly think that alt costume must be meaningful, and that having a lot of them would make characters lose their originality. A defined look is better IMO, with some exceptions. I may be wrong, though.

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965
I think if Zelda gets a Skyward Sword skin it would be similar to what they did for Link and just recolor his outfit rather than make a new one. I threw this together as an example.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I think if Zelda gets a Skyward Sword skin it would be similar to what they did for link and just recolor his outfit rather than make a new one. I threw this together as an example.

Considering Red Zelda have no gloves (just sleeves), I think it would happen on this color as well. Oh, and I guess the thing in front would be more blue, but this looks great.

And honestly, it looks way better than what I imagined!

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
Considering Red Zelda have no gloves (just sleeves), I think it would happen on this color as well. Oh, and I guess the thing in front would be more blue, but this looks great.

And honestly, it looks way better than what I imagined!
I
I think if Zelda gets a Skyward Sword skin it would be similar to what they did for Link and just recolor his outfit rather than make a new one. I threw this together as an example.

I love it! Make it happen Sakurai-san, for us Zelda Mains!

Kay kay

Just take the time to admire my signature

The most common response would be Skyward Sword Zelda, and that's cool. Iv'e looked for better options to be an alt costume, and here it is: Hyrule Warriors Zelda!

Thoughts?

ihskeyp

Smash Ace

The most common response would be Skyward Sword Zelda, and that's cool. Iv'e looked for better options to be an alt costume, and here it is: Hyrule Warriors Zelda!

Thoughts?
Hyrule Warriors Zelda is way better than SS Zelda. I would love to see HW Zelda as an alternate, it's just such a unique and beautiful design... Where I find SS Zelda plain and childish looking.

Edit: I'm not opposed to an SS Zelda platter though, since I like the color scheme

Last edited:

Kay kay

Just take the time to admire my signature
Hyrule Warriors Zelda is way better than SS Zelda. I would love to see HW Zelda as an alternate, it's just such a unique and beautiful design... Where I find SS Zelda plain and childish looking.
My point exactly. SS is cool and all, but SS link making it would make the choice bland. The last thing we want is two representitives from the same game.

Edit: Plus she just looks plain awesome XD

Last edited:

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965
If we were to get an alt costume for Zelda I would prefer a Hyrule Warriors one because it is awesome and unique to say the least. I love the battle mage look compared to her normal dress with shoulder armor, and it fits Zelda as a character very well. If we ended up getting Hyrule Warriors as a costume I would never pick anything else lol.

Top Bottom