• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda... TOP TIER?

Veng

Smash Ace
Wow. I was at a gamestop tourney with 38 people of which 12 were zelda. She was freaking strong!
Not only that, I found her upsmash to be brutal and better then Lucas's Up smash, also quicker.

She definately got buffed.

Lucrece

Smash Apprentice
Until the most broken character, Marth, comes around and shows what true "Top Tier" is.

Put in the ever annoying Pit in there, also.

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
Pff, this is too awful to be a joke topic.

You people aren't even complaining about the right attacks...

Up+B? Usmash? Seriously, wtf?

If anything, complain about Din's Fire, Uair, Lightning Kicks, Dtilt spam, Utilt, Dsmash...

The opposite of nerfed is buffed. It's OBVIOUS that Zelda got buffed, as did every other bottom tier character from the last game. If you've ever played against/with Zelda in Melee, you'll know that her only viable strategy was kick spamming. Almost every single other one of her attacks was entirely awful.

Zelda_Sheik

Smash Apprentice
1. Let's see, are you joking? Up + B ? I mean that's Farore's Wind. Its the teletransportation that Zelda uses. I believe that you are trying to say "Up Air". That is a explosion that Zelda makes and Ko's at fairly low percents.
2. Usmash is easily DIable.
3. Of course Zelda got buffed. What did you expected? That she had got more nerfed?

popsofctown

Smash Champion
When i read the thread title, i thought it would be someone suggesting that future metagame exploits could enhance lightning kicks' ability to connect and that would somehow put her on top tier.... but no, that's not what this is.
Zelda isn't really top tier material. I love her but no. Up B is easily shielded, (it's great fun till people realize that). Up smash looks cool, but a DI has been discovered, as said above, and there isn't really anything all that spectacular about it anyway.
Please try to avoid caps lock and sentence fragments, Veng.

Eten

Smash Ace
Zelda looks strong and competitive, but not top tier. At a certain level, her strength changes as people DI out of her fsmash and upsmash, and can airdodge to break a Din's Fire juggle. At that level, she still has power, but it isn't quite the super-dominating level that I think you might think. A LOT of characters have potential this time around.

Zorrioh

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hyozans
3DS FC
1848-1766-0747
What does DI stand for, if you don't mind me asking? Haven't gotten the game yet or read what it means anywhere.

Eten

Smash Ace
Sure. It's very simple, it's directional influence. Normally it's just when you press a direction on the control stick(and hold it), it helps control which direction you go when you are in the air, when you are recoverying or being it or whatever. Ever find yourself getting hit a ton by King Dedede's finishing on his AAA combo because you were pressing over towards him? That involves DI. Obviously, if you were paying better attention you'd have used DI away from that and would have come off with much less damage than you did the other way. The DI to escape the multi-hit moves of Zelda's Fsmash and upsmash are a little bit different than that, but that's essentially what ends up happening here.

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
Wtf who are you *** hole. I CAN MAKE ONE PHRASE IN CAPS IF I WANT.
Of course you can, that's your right. But you're making yourself look like an obnoxious idiot in the process (not a flame, just kind of telling you the way that all caps statements make people look).

Whoever said the thing about the Lightning Kicks and top tier, that's ironic, I mentioned that on the Alliance chat space last night. It would be quite terrifying if someone were to be able to sweetspot each of her kicks at a consistent rate. I'm pretty sure that they are some of the strongest attacks in the game, bar none, on par with Ike's Fsmash, if not 1000 times better because of their quick execution.

Justice7541

Smash Apprentice
Let's not forget Zelda's relatively poor matchups against the smaller members of the cast. Ever try consistently sweetspotting on Olimar? Needless to say, it's rather difficult. Since Zelda has so many sweetspot moves, or at least moves with relatively small and short hitboxes (FDash, FAir, UAir, BAir, DAir), she has trouble if she can't sweetspot at least fairly consistently. Sure, you can spam DSmash and DTilt or go for non-sweetspotted FDashes for the juggling, but it's not quite the same.

Also, Veng loses this round.

Naybewon

Smash Ace
They did give her a huge buff but as mentioned, many other lower tier characters received the same treatment.

Actually while playing this game I find myself saying, "SO BROKEN," with just about every character. So it's not just Zelda. People are using the heck out of her right now, but after a year or so they'll drift to other characters. I remember when Melee was first out people were nothing but Sheik. That slowly faded into Marth and then to Fox and then to Dr. Mario and Ganondorf. It seems the Smash community discovers things in cycles :D

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
I love all of Zelda's moves. Zelda is a character that I can proudly say that I use every single one of her moves. I don't think she's top-tier. Maybe high mid or low high.

SarsVirus

Smash Cadet
dude zelda on wifi with lag = pwnage i was playing someone using my marth nd there was lag i coudint touch zelda freakin spam fire ball thing when im in the air pwnage

rageagainst

Smash Journeyman
dude zelda on wifi with lag = pwnage i was playing someone using my marth nd there was lag i coudint touch zelda freakin spam fire ball thing when im in the air pwnage
wi-fi is wierd, you can't dodge dins fire BUT all of zelda's sweetspoted moves (the kicks) are near impossible to land

and... wi-fi and lag should NEVER be computed into tiers, making how good anyone is in wi-fi irrelevent.

Zelda has a lot of holes in her game but is still pretty solid, like someone said before, high mid or very low high at most. atleast shes competitively viable this time

SeventhSage

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm Zelda has been insanely buffed and is a very, very powerful character this time around. Still, some of the characters are more broken so I don't see her as TOP tier, but I'm sur Zelda will end up High Tier. I will be greatly surprised if she's lower than that. Her moves are fluid and she has amazing KO power.

fauxpas

Smash Rookie
I really wish they would have split Zelda and Sheik.

One other thing - anyone want to offer your thoughts on why it matters if Zelda is top-tier or not?

Any thoughts on a comparable alt? She feels more solid than any of the chars twice her size. Catching someone with that kick at just the right spot is probably the most satisfying attack in the game. There are similar effects with other characters tho.

Wafflekin

Smash Cadet
I enjoy Zelda's reliance on Din's Fire. As a Game and Watch player, I feel quite safe if I can keep my distance.

Xancalidon

Smash Rookie
Actually, Zelda doesn't rely on Din's Flame. It's only an asset—a powerful one, to be sure—but an asset nonetheless. Her down-A, nair into up-A, neutral A, f/bair, downgrab loop (downgrab, reverse foxtrot, downgrab, repeat) and downgrab into bair are more than enough to compete with even the most difficult opponents.

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
I really wish they would have split Zelda and Sheik.
I've mentioned this before on a different thread, but I don't understand the logic behind separating them. You're sacrificing an entire character slot just to give them both a Down+B, that isn't even guaranteed to be useful. Plus, they are the same exact person, so it wouldn't make any sense at all if they could transform back and forth at will.

I would have to place my prediction at minimum of low high tier. I predict that there will be some reflex-ninja who will be able to dominate everyone by timing her Lightning Kicks. When that happens, Zelda will get a huge popularity boost, giving her the representation she needs to ascend the tier list.

I don't think it matters in the end though where your character is on the tier list. Though I hope it's not top tier... being accused of tier whoring is irritating at best.

DiasFlac

Smash Journeyman
This is why I hate tier list. People say this and that about you when the character you main just happens to be high tier. Its so annoying that it makes you want to main a low tier character, get really good with him/her so you won't have to worry about that same lame excuse.

Who ever started the tier list needs to !!!!!

SarsVirus

Smash Cadet
haha i like ur sig darkmusician rofl nice name to
anyways i think ima convert to using zelda now that sweetspot kick reminds me of falcons knee it feels good LOL now zelda is the muthafukin sauce :D well i think zelda users will be tough opponents in the future i wana see a zelda combo vid (;

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
I´m getting bored with the fact that every character board has at least one threat that says "******(enter character name) for top tier?". Why can´t people just wait and let things go on their own speed? The whole tier list is overrated IMO. I don´t care about the position of my character. If I like to use someone, I´m not going to check out whether he/she is in topor bottom tier. It just doesn´t matter.

Drake3

Smash Ace
I really thought the Zelda board would be spared this fad. Every thread like this should be locked and burned.

Arashi

Smash Cadet
I was so happy when I found out what they did with Zelda. Months before the game came out, I decided to main with Zelda, no matter how bad she was. When I discovered how buffed they made her, I was elated and enjoyed playing with her so much. :)

Her up-smash is really effective, so is Din's fire and even her f-smash if used correctly. You could almost smash-spam with her. I think, though, that she isn't quite top tier material. Though there's also that I hope she isn't top tier. I would guess high, perhaps close to the top, but that would be a guess.

Playing on wifi is fun and somewhat of a challenge. The lag makes it difficult to land her attacks that rely on precision, but you can also manage to catch people "flat-footed" with certain attacks such as a forward smash (though I still think she's harder to use than most characters when battling lag).

Zorrioh

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hyozans
3DS FC
1848-1766-0747
Sure. It's very simple, it's directional influence. Normally it's just when you press a direction on the control stick(and hold it), it helps control which direction you go when you are in the air, when you are recoverying or being it or whatever. Ever find yourself getting hit a ton by King Dedede's finishing on his AAA combo because you were pressing over towards him? That involves DI. Obviously, if you were paying better attention you'd have used DI away from that and would have come off with much less damage than you did the other way. The DI to escape the multi-hit moves of Zelda's Fsmash and upsmash are a little bit different than that, but that's essentially what ends up happening here.
Thank you, this was very helpful.

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
Zelda will be lucky to get to the top of the middle tier.
She's out prioritized by other characters.
I'm glad of this. I wouldn't like Zelda to be top tier.

She'd be whored like no toorrow. Even more so than she is on Wifi now =[

HideousBeing

Smash Ace
Top Tier? Hellz no. She's gotten better, but not hella better.
He's right. I laughed when I saw this topic. I played Zelda in Melee. She was horrible. I had high hopes anticipating her "fixing" in Brawl. I was disappointed. Rather than aspire to make something of her all over again, I just dropped her. Yeah... gonna be needing to change my sig...

Lucrece

Smash Apprentice
They supposedly "rebalanced" the characters. Apparently, it came with the fine writing that says "rebalancing" means Marth, Diddy, and Pit supremacy.

Drake3

Smash Ace
He's right. I laughed when I saw this topic. I played Zelda in Melee. She was horrible. I had high hopes anticipating her "fixing" in Brawl. I was disappointed. Rather than aspire to make something of her all over again, I just dropped her. Yeah... gonna be needing to change my sig...
That makes me unhappy D: I always liked creepily stalking reading your advice in the melee Zelda boards.

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
I don't see your point. She was, for all intents and purposes, fixed. All of her moves have merit and distinct purpose now, and only 2 of them can be readily escaped. Fsmash is nearly inescapable if you hit it at the right spot, and Usmash, I'm thinking it takes a little bit of luck, because I haven't figured out how to escape it every time yet.

She's got probably the 2nd best projectile in the game, she can combo, and with practice, all 4 of her directional aerials can serve as some of the most fearsome KO moves in the game. Sure, she fails to certain characters and strategies, but perhaps that's just inherent in her character. I'm sure there's some auto-win matchups for good Zeldas too.

I'm anticipating that the eventual tiers will be much larger, and probably less of them. I'm going to guess that there will only be three, with the middle being disproportionately larger. It's not a bad thing for Zelda to occupy the top of this eventual Middle Tier.

From the unused scum of bottom tier, I would consider it fixed if most people agree she belongs to top middle now...

goodkid

Smash Lord
Zelda has received some decent buffs. She won't ever be top tier, because she is too slow. Top tier chars., win tourneys, have fantastic combo ability, have speed, strength, and are used the most. I don't think that there is a match-up that is too hard for Zelda this time around. She is very good.

She's got probably the 2nd best projectile in the game
This is true, din's parrys all other projectiles, except arrows, which are just too fast. Din's fire is excellent for approaching and retreating.

HT27

Smash Cadet
Din's Fire also has ridiculous hit radius, does insane amounts of damage (upwards of 30-40 per hit at mid to long distance), is fast, easily controlled, and has good knockback. Combine that with her aerials and her smashes and I'd venture to say that they went way too far with improving her game. She even has a reflector, so she can't even be outspammed. Her only weakness is her slowness, and even that isn't much of an issue given the overall power of almost all her attacks.

Top Bottom