• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Social Thread

Arcalyth

GLS | root
so let's talk about why zelda is a **** character.

or alternatively, let's talk about why she's OP

your move

otheusrex

Smash Journeyman
Zelda is a **** character because you can never go on the initiative; you must always watch, wait, predict, prepare, and rely upon the other player to decide your actions. Despite her large disjointed hitbox moves, she has a small range, meaning that the area she threatens through a potential run>attack or SHFFLed aerial is quite small (compare this to Falcon or Fox and this becomes more obvious). She has atrocious ending lag on most of her moves so if you whiff, it's devestating. She's a floaty that is quite vulnerable from below so she's easy to juggle when she's in the air. Being able to transform into sheik means she's constantly living in her shadow; the earnest attempts to make her better have been tempered with caution so that an awesome Zelda in her own right doesn't become OP with the ability to transform into Sheik. This leads to the last thing, Zelda is a controversial character. Despite having all these limitations, many people contest what strengths she has and think that she needs nerfing. At best she is tolerated as an annoying, un-fun character with annoying, un-fun but necessary moves. Your well-earned victories with her will often be soured with unspoken contempt for her design.

Zelda is an amazing, fun, and OP character because she's flashy as ****. What other character has magical lightning attack chains like usmash into nair that rack up the damage quickly without your opponent being able to sdi out of it? or a kick with a sweetspot so powerful it stops time to draw attention to your opponent's impending doom? Or can teleport ledge hog from half way across the stage? Sure you're slow as molasses normally, but given an inch and good tech skill, you can teleport like a mother-****ing sorceress wherever you want wavelanding into huge triforce grabs to kill with a bthrow so telekinetically powerful you'd think she was an X-man. Is someone rushing you down, oh hoho! the fool... how about I meet their approach with nayru>jab>ftilt>usmash>nair for 61 damage? Suddenly they're a few dins fire hits from kill percentages and let me tell you baby, I gots da Kill Moves. Super light? how about Utilt or Uair? Fast Faller? how about Fsmash, Dsmash, or Bthrow? Too heavy? no problem, I'll just Dthrow you for 15% damage and a tech chase. And did I mention kicks? OMG the power! bair comes out on frame 5, has some serious disjoint, and the large hitbox of it does 17% damage and kills bowser at the side of FD at 80% Fair kills at 69% (discounting DI), and that's not even with the sweetspot! OMG--seriously though, someone redesign the animation on the critical kick to have Zelda pull out a bow and shoot the opponent with a light arrow cause you're DONE! A critical Fair kills bowser at 44% from the side of FD (also no DI but you get the idea). Plus, your delicate and airy frame means you just float away from combos. That combined with love jumps make you incredibly elusive. DIN'S FIRE: it kills, it thrills, it slices and dices, it sets up the threats and nets the vets for the upset hashtagREGRETS, not just a ruse if you know how to use and choose to abuse it sets up the rest for the shoes! and not only do you have all these deliciously powerful moves but she still isn't all that good. Why am I mentioned that in talking about her strengths? because it means no Zelda posers are allowed. That's right. People may complain about her moves and all that but when it comes down to serious competitive play, Zelda is hard, and no one picks up a Zelda just to win tournaments. You've got to really be out-thinking your opponent constantly. Sure she's a white-bread, upper-class, upper-crust, social elite princess, but when it comes down to it, she really needs to work to win. She just doesn't want to get all sweaty and gross with that fast running and stuff. She'll just compose herself and wait like the dignified lady she is and they'll be playing into her hands, and when they do lose their cool you've got the tools to DESTROY them. So you've won a tournament with Zelda? Forget what all them haters are thinking, you're a zelda main and you know how much work you've gone through to get where you are now. You didn't give up when fox dash danced and usmashed you all those times, you didn't give up when Falcon dthrow kneed your pretty dress, you didn't give up when metaknight techchased you into a dimensional cape, or when charizard naired you from 0-death, or when luigi ruined your near victory with an untimely misfire... No, you're Zelda, crowned princess of Hyrule, the Seventh Sage and destined to be leader of them all, incarnation of the Goddess Hylia eternally reborn, keeper of the sacred Light Arrows, wielder of the gifts of Farore, Nayru, and Din, whose power created the universe, and namesake of the most bad-ass adventure series of all temple of time, and you earned that victory! congratulations! YOU ARE THE TRUE KEEPER OF THE MOTHER****ING TRIFORCE OF WISDOM!!!

jtm94

Smash Lord
GOING TO SCHOOL YOU TOMORROW IF I DON'T PLAY MELEE.
So if you play melee you won't school me? I know melee Zelda is pretty OP and all...

On another note, Zhime has definitely caused an uprising of Zeldas. You can even find Project M Zelda dittos, like where do they do that at?? Before you were hard pressed to find much footage at all aside from the Zeldas here. I'm also pretty hype for 3.0. I can't wait to try it out.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
So yeah, one of my favorite tings to do near the release of an update to P:M is to compile a ton of very specific data concerning her moves so that when the next version comes out, I can try to find out as many changes as I can on my own.

If a changelist isn't posted soon after the release of 3.0 I'll share any findings I find here. :p

But I've heard that a changelist is gonna be put out possibly the same day as the release, so.........

Arcalyth

GLS | root
otheusrex, I greatly admire your analysis of the character.

On the topic of Sheilda, however, I'd like to contest this common assumption:
Being able to transform into sheik means she's constantly living in her shadow; the earnest attempts to make her better have been tempered with caution so that an awesome Zelda in her own right doesn't become OP with the ability to transform into Sheik.
Transform is a controversial move in Project M. Since Sheik was such a dominant threat in Melee, it's natural to fear that having the Sheik superpower attached to an already-dominant Zelda might give the two characters a significant and possibly unfair advantage in a tournament. However:

1. Transform is very high-risk and unsafe.
By using Transform in place of /literally every other followup possible/, a player is sacrificing their advantage for possibly very little gain - and if a player is not competent with one of the two characters at a level necessary to match their opponent, the player will get punished for that mistake. If the player uses Transform while disadvantaged or neutral, they suffer punishable endlag and still have to be good at the other character.

So, assuming that our Sheilda player is competent with both of her forms, she still gains little from a successful transform other than a character switch. Because Sheik and Zelda are the same weight, most combos will work on either character, making the difference in character physics negligible. It's what you /do/ with the character switch that matters. In neutral, it just means you have to win neutral again. At a disadvantage it gets you killed. With an advantage, you might get a nice followup if you set the situation up expertly. This in itself makes Transform a "bad move."

2. Sheik is not "god-tier" anymore.
Sheik was such a powerful character in Melee because she had guaranteed or extremely reliable throw followups against the majority of the cast. Because of her mobility and moveset, making openings for those grabs is easy. If all a character has to do to is win neutral once and then get a zero-to-death or even combo-to-edgeguard, and has the ability to win neutral frequently, then you have a superb character on your hands.

In Project M, her followups are still quite reliable, but not guaranteed. To compensate for this, a skilled player can use her dthrow/bthrow mixup to increase the reliability of her followup. This puts Sheik in a prime position in that she has little to no significant advantage in her overall matchup spread, and not really any straight disadvantages overall either. Yes, there are niche matchups, but that's inevitable in such a large roster. Some may argue that Sheik has Zelda to cover her bad matchups... but you pretty succinctly described why Zelda is bad.

---

Zelda is indeed a controversial character. I think many are confused by her playstyle and are focusing too much on her glaring strengths and not exploiting her obvious weaknesses. She's strong: Zelda punishes hard. People are tired of getting hit in the face with shards of glass and eating a devastating lightning kick, and people are tired of getting blown up by fireballs... and eating a lightning kick. Her combos hurt, and she racks up damage fast.

The thing is, all you have to do to beat most of her moves is wait or move. This is the case with all of her normals and Nayru's Love. Zelda is nearly non-threatening without a fireball on the field and must rely on her opponent to make a mistake in order to deliver that strong punish, as you pointed out so well in your post.

I don't think she needs to be controversial, and I think her current incarnation is a fantastic, well-designed character. I hope public outcry doesn't draw the hand of the PMBR to make significant changes to her.

People may complain about her moves and all that but when it comes down to serious competitive play, Zelda is hard, and no one picks up a Zelda just to win tournaments. You've got to really be out-thinking your opponent constantly.
#truth

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
So I can't check this right now, but has Zelda's Dsmash Visual arm glitch been fixed?

You know, the one where near the end of the animation, one of her arms does a really fast 360 turn at the elbow. You can see it by zooming in at 1/4 speed in training mode.

Here's a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P70jHIod0Bs

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Sup zelda boards, got a question for ya. Is it truly impossible to smash di out of up smash, or am I just a bad? Also, why is there a hitbox at the end of ftilt, kinda comes off as a move giving you a free pass if you miss space it.

Arcalyth

GLS | root
Sup zelda boards, got a question for ya. Is it truly impossible to smash di out of up smash, or am I just a bad? Also, why is there a hitbox at the end of ftilt, kinda comes off as a move giving you a free pass if you miss space it.
The hitbox at the end of ftilt has better combo potential so you're actually getting rewarded for spacing it well. You won't get a good followup if you space too close.

This combo hitbox is at the end of the move because Zelda is a defensive character. Ftilt is one of her longest-ranged moves and one of two of her grounded moves that can clank (edit: the other being dash attack). The drawback to not spacing it properly is either punishable endlag or a not-so-great followup.

jtm94

Smash Lord
I used to not like the tilts but utilt is such a KO move and ftilt at the end sends them right into a bair to the face.
I don't know what dtilt is for at all, I don't even know what it does.

jtm94

Smash Lord
Oooh that's nifty!!

So I went to fight Pitt III..... I disappointed myself.
I did the best of my other 2 friends among Project M, but so many things made it a pain.
And I still have yet to figure out the Peach MU. Snake is also annoying, but less so I think. I can trade with almost any attack with the right timing and trading with the strong hitbox is much better for me.. Not ideal, but Peach's fair is such a pain.. and just usmash uair in general are a pain against my floaty characters..

The FIRST Project M match of the day was my first tournament match... That was also the first Project M to be set up all day.
I'm used to playing on lcd TVs and not crt TVs and I can make the change between, but it takes me a few minutes to get my kick timing right again, I had no such luxury. Then I was doing OK, but this one tv had really weird lag or something about it and I am fairly certain the Project M version on that wii was NOT 2.6b and was also wi-fi safe so everytime I tried to wavedash out of teleport I got hit out of the air and I didn't realize why until watching the match after me on it when it had no stage striking. -.-

Fight Pitt III was cool though, and I do get they expected far less people so I'm not really that mad.
There was another Zelda and he played Sweet and rage quit pretty much because all he did was complain about Ivysaur the ENTIRE time so we just hyped the game against him. He was, "ok." For sure trying to take Zelda higher next time around!

Rizner

Smash Ace
Oooh that's nifty!!

So I went to fight Pitt III..... I disappointed myself.
I did the best of my other 2 friends among Project M, but so many things made it a pain.
And I still have yet to figure out the Peach MU. Snake is also annoying, but less so I think. I can trade with almost any attack with the right timing and trading with the strong hitbox is much better for me.. Not ideal, but Peach's fair is such a pain.. and just usmash uair in general are a pain against my floaty characters..

The FIRST Project M match of the day was my first tournament match... That was also the first Project M to be set up all day.
I'm used to playing on lcd TVs and not crt TVs and I can make the change between, but it takes me a few minutes to get my kick timing right again, I had no such luxury. Then I was doing OK, but this one tv had really weird lag or something about it and I am fairly certain the Project M version on that wii was NOT 2.6b and was also wi-fi safe so everytime I tried to wavedash out of teleport I got hit out of the air and I didn't realize why until watching the match after me on it when it had no stage striking. -.-

Fight Pitt III was cool though, and I do get they expected far less people so I'm not really that mad.
There was another Zelda and he played Sweet and rage quit pretty much because all he did was complain about Ivysaur the ENTIRE time so we just hyped the game against him. He was, "ok." For sure trying to take Zelda higher next time around!
Nice. How big was the turnout? I'd suggest getting a crt to play on - you can usually pick one up at a thrift store for less than $10.
I ended up going to a tournament yesterday too -- there were I 12 people that entered PM and ended up winning it. Feels good after dropping 0-2 at the tournament before, lol. I think I have to work at being more consistent.

jtm94

Smash Lord
Nice. How big was the turnout? I'd suggest getting a crt to play on - you can usually pick one up at a thrift store for less than $10.
I ended up going to a tournament yesterday too -- there were I 12 people that entered PM and ended up winning it. Feels good after dropping 0-2 at the tournament before, lol. I think I have to work at being more consistent.
The turnout for Melee singles was expected to be 50, BUT over 150 showed.
Project M had like... a solid 30ish people? M2K ended up winning, I was doing other stuff when it ended so I d on't know the standings. He played Sheik most of the matches I saw and he probably ended up playing VaNz.

jtm94

Smash Lord
Alright, so I need to know if this is a Zelda texture glitch, or a regular Zelda glitch...
My friend threw a tiny aura sphere at me with Lucario and claimed it went right through me when standing.
THEN in 2 other instances with an entirely different texture we were having fun in free for all and someone his me with say.. a jab, and he threw an aura sphere at me. The aura sphere went right through me and hit the person who jabbed me. This made them hate textures and feel the matches of the day weren't even accountable. I know Zelda can go into the z-axis when she Dsmashes, but is this just a Zelda glitch or what?

D

Deleted member

I have a feeling that has to do with Aura Sphere itself and not Zelda.

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
I've got a little game for all you Zelda players. I call it the up b challenge.

Rules are:

You have to be Zelda

You have to play on battlefield

You get 1 hp in stamina battle

You have to play against a level 9 Mario

You can only use up b

Survive as long as possible

No ledge stalling allowed

My record is 53 seconds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwtCu2a-aeg&feature=youtube_gdata_player (sorry for the crappy video)

I hope someone tries to beat it :D
I've got a little game for all you Zelda players. I call it the up b challenge.

Rules are:

You have to be Zelda

You have to play on battlefield

You get 1 hp in stamina battle

You have to play against a level 9 Mario

You can only use up b

Survive as long as possible

No ledge stalling allowed

My record is 53 seconds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwtCu2a-aeg&feature=youtube_gdata_player (sorry for the crappy video)

I hope someone tries to beat it :D
That's an impressive challenge, I will get back to you on that.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
I just turn tap up jump off, and that's it. I don't see any other (possibly quirky) control layouts being much more effective, since she doesn't have like, any controller necessary advanced techs to change it for.

otheusrex

Smash Journeyman
I ALWAYS have tap jump on, even though i use Y to jump. That's because I find it good for up-being and upsmashing out of shield.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
So, 3.0 is just around the corner, but I though of a few visual fix/changes that Zelda could have, and should be considered for this next update.

1. Fix the visual glitch with Dsmash where, near the end, her left arm does a 360 at the elbow. This one has been around for a while, like the pivot grab glitch, but it hasn't been fixed yet.

2. Add that little lighting aeffect that her magic moves have to NAir. It doesn't contain the pretty white-ish lighting effect, while just about every other magic move does.

3. Clean up the sparkles on her above 100% ledge attack slightly, and add the aforementioned lighting effect as well.

Another personal change I'd wanna see is for her dress during that start of grounded Nayru's (in the back) isn't covered by the crystal. It should be edited slightly so that it IS in the crystal at the start.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Double post, but the prev. post was over a day ago....

But so yeah, I'm super hyped for 3.0, It felt like the release came so quick after the announcement.

jtm94

Smash Lord
I'm super hyped too.
On another note Salem's Zelda beat M2k in a game and almost won a set against him in best of 3.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
I'm super hyped too.
On another note Salem's Zelda beat M2k in a game and almost won a set against him in best of 3.

Yeah, If we're thinking of the same set, then that was a really disappointing loss. M2K will use ALL the stupid, lame, unfun tactics just for a buck in a tourney... : \

As also seen when he played Zhime. > _ > Stupid sheik ledge stuff, you'd think they might remove it, not that I'm really concerned with that though...

Anyways, I've got 3.0 and I'm gonna get playying! :D

D

Deleted member

Less KBG on f-tilt's sweetspot is nice, and I guess Din's Fire detonating during Transform can be useful in a few circumstances, but adding more lag to Nayru's land cancel was simply uncalled for. The only people who complained about it were those who refused to learn how to deal with it because they just didn't like playing against Zelda. It wasn't a valid issue. The little nerfs to F/B-air and Din's mine damage weren't necessary either.

All in all 3.0 isn't too bad for Zelda, but I don't understand the nerfs at all. Reconditioning myself to the slightly more laggy land cancel is certainly going to be annoying too.

Arcalyth

GLS | root
- ftilt KBG decreased
Direct buff. Leads to more reliable followups more frequently out of ftilt. Btw, ftilt is still a bread and butter tool if you aren't using it, ladies ;)

Compensating by reducing KB on crit kicks (which you'll now be landing more often thanks to the ftilt buff) is fair.
and it's only on crit kicks, and you could probably argue that reducing BKB on bair can be a buff anyway since you can combo bair>bair

I'm not in the PMBR but I'd imagine they'd reduce static mine damage to discourage campy gameplay (character interaction is kind of important...)

And I must say I'm quite fond of the change to transform. ^__^

PrincessAzula

Smash Apprentice
Less KBG on f-tilt's sweetspot is nice, and I guess Din's Fire detonating during Transform can be useful in a few circumstances, but adding more lag to Nayru's land cancel was simply uncalled for. The only people who complained about it were those who refused to learn how to deal with it because they just didn't like playing against Zelda. It wasn't a valid issue. The little nerfs to F/B-air and Din's mine damage weren't necessary either.

All in all 3.0 isn't too bad for Zelda, but I don't understand the nerfs at all. Reconditioning myself to the slightly more laggy land cancel is certainly going to be annoying too.
I agree, especially about the added lag to Love Cancel. It's annoying. I just hope it isn't a huge detriment to my gameplay, especially in matchups where Love Cancel is really important. (like Mario)

D

Deleted member

I find it very noticeable, and a very unnecessary change. Zelda wasn't that amazing in 2.6b. There was no reason to diminish any of her tools in any way.

And really, considering how slow Zelda is, and how slow Din's Fire is, camping wasn't an issue if you utilized more than two brain cells while playing against her. Even if it was an issue, the damage decrease alone wouldn't have done anything to stop the camping. It just lowers the damage output.

The Transform detonation just seems like a forced attempt to get people to actually use Transform. I don't think it's going to be all that useful, especially when you have to Transform again if you only want to use Zelda and not Sheik.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
I'm more curious as to what Zhime thinks of these changes, considering he almost works alongside Ryoko in "developing" Zelda.

I do as well feel the added nayru LC lag was unnecessary. Btw, the damage reduction of ticking dins allows it to only clank (and get rid of.) projectiles of 12% damage or less instead of 16% damage or less. Take it how you want, there wasn't many projectiles in this damage range that will affect it anyways...

Also, I wonder what the decision behind restoring grounded nayru's final hit SDI multiplier back to normal. It's not like the grounded version is combo oriented anyways.

Also 2, I discovered the transform detonation on a pre-3.0 stream of 3.0 Zhime did. But I don't see it getting too much use, at least by non-sheik zelda mains. I will be excited to see its use in any 3.0 zelda combo vids made.

Top Bottom