• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Social Thread

Blondie.

Smash Journeyman
Well I don't want to get this thread further off topic, so I'll just agree to a $5 MM if you ever decide to come back to Texas.

In other news, I'm still trying to incorporate Zelda's ground game further, but it just seems so hard with how immobile she is.

Her whole ground game seems to be based around ftilt and grabs. I wish she would get more out of her throws. How do you guys typically use her throws?

jtm94

Smash Lord
I just try to use her uthrow against fast fallers or at low % for potential chain grabs against bad DI, dthrow for damage/potential kick setup, bthrow to KO or to set up Dins traps, fthrow... never. And I'm using pummel more for free %s.

I'm trying to develop a ground game too, but I can't get much out of Zelda aside from Naryu's approaches, wavedash teleports into Naryu's/side smash, or shield grabs. I REALLY want to use the tilts, but they just feel unorthodox, ESPECIALLY utilt. I try to use my ground game against Marth, but it's difficult without being shield grabbed or out ranged. I really don't know how to deal with characters with more range than Zelda, I usually can end up trading lightning kicks with fairs/nairs, but it's hard to avoid the hit and then punish because she's so slow.

Blondie.

Smash Journeyman
Yep I definitely know that feeling. I'm trying hard to force myself to use less Nayru's Love and kicks and focus more on tilts. I've played a few marths and have always had trouble (for sword characters, I usually switch to Shiek). When I use her ground game, I typically use lots of WD, DD, and am now trying to incorporate pivots. It just feels like it is so much harder to get a good hit with Zelda than with characters like Marth, but she gets so much less reward (ftilt can be like followed up with a bair in a best case scenario, which really isn't that great).

As far as throws, I will use fthrow every now and then when I'm facing the edge of the stage to try to get a quick kill if they DI bad, but that is rare. I usually opt to dthrow if I'm near the center of stage, and throw them offstage if I'm near an edge. Again, it just fells like Zelda has such a hard time following up.

jtm94

Smash Lord
I'm actually using pummel more, so that in tandem with dthrow is helping me tack on some hefty damage.
I've been doing pretty decent with her tilts, but they're still kind of hard to fit into my regular gameplay. That may be because tilts are just difficult to use in general.

Played a really legit player today. He's at my college and plays a really scary Ivysaur, Fox, Falco, Jigglypuff. I did decent against his Ivysaur, but it was really hard to approach. He didn't beat me hard, but I was still kind of struggling. Fox And falco were really weird, I don't face many of them and their gravity makes fair/bair super deadly. They have some scary kill power though and it's so fast. As for Jigglypuff he hasn't beat me with it yet, I just don't let him out space me and make my movements erratic so he can't get a cheap rest off. Oh, and he plays a decent Donkey Kong, but he's so easy to kick I don't mind the MU at all.

Still having some issues against sword characters because it's hard to outrange them. Been using teleport to help me get in, and also working on my Sheik to aid in the MUs and that's been going alright.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Get ****in wrecked.

Zhime/Salem do the best in a much harder region. Zelda is pretty fraudulent, and someone who has minimum exp vs her are going to get whooped, i.e. Most of TX, the USA, and parts of lower China.
Hell, I could use Zelda for 45 seconds and be about as competent as you. In fact, I'll most likely throw up when I see your replays on YouTube because of the sheer childlike button mashing I know was used to fraud your way through bracket.

Just wanted to congratulate you because "Zelda is pretty fraudulent" is now a phrase I use to express my disgust in bad players who don't know what they're talking about. It's ****ing hilarious.

jtm94

Smash Lord
Aside from the character being, "fraudulent." Has anyone else made recent breakthroughs or successes?
I'm working on grabs and tilts out of teleport.

otheusrex

Smash Journeyman
I'm trying to work on reverse love jump, but it's kinda annoying to practice with the cpu

jtm94

Smash Lord
I'm trying to work on reverse love jump, but it's kinda annoying to practice with the cpu
Yeah I know the feel.
I can do b reverses off of Din's Fire easier than reversing Naryu's. Sometimes I get it while playing competitive players, but it isn't easy, you just have to get used to doing it actively or else it just becomes somewhat of a random gimmick instead of a useful tool. v.v

otheusrex

Smash Journeyman
not talking about reverse nayru, I'm talking about reverse love jump. Hell, even practicing love jump is really annoying cause you can't really direct the cpu to do anything more specific than just play on auto

jtm94

Smash Lord
not talking about reverse nayru, I'm talking about reverse love jump. Hell, even practicing love jump is really annoying cause you can't really direct the cpu to do anything more specific than just play on auto
I know exactly what you're talking about, it's the same thing, just out of hit stun.

Rizner

Smash Ace
Oh, hello again everyone. I stopped looking at this board for a little while and seem to have missed a good bit. Anyways, how's it been? Any big updates or lasting questions I've missed?

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Aside from the character being, "fraudulent." Has anyone else made recent breakthroughs or successes?
I'm working on grabs and tilts out of teleport.

This and the posts under it till here are about all you missed.

The rest was the kind of crap that usually doesn't happen on ANY zelda board, and shouldn't.

Rizner

Smash Ace
This and the posts under it till here are about all you missed.

The rest was the kind of crap that usually doesn't happen on ANY zelda board, and shouldn't.
Ok, cool lol. So how's it going? I think I've heard that ryo and zhime are going to tournaments this weekend. Anyone else planning on going to a tournament soon? I might try to go to a lot this month, starting with one in Columbus tomorrow.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
I can't go to any tournies, I really wish I could so I can see what my current skill is at by fighting better people.

It would be especially fun to go to a tourney where Ryo and Zhime are at. (~ . ~) b

Also, rock that Zelda tourney goers! Make her sparkle. :p

jtm94

Smash Lord
There's a player from my campus that goes by, "Sweet" who is going to Pound this weekend.
I'm gonna start going to a locals soon enough once I feel my Zelda is refined enough. I am getting really decent at spacing kicks and my grabs/dash reverse pivot grabs out of teleport are coming along.

jtm94

Smash Lord
Go to locals to refine your Zelda :p
My Link friend wanted me to go today, but I stayed behind so he and my Mario friend could go and it ended up being better that way. I'm not sure on how this tourney system is set up, but we have a team and the Link friend secured a seat in the big tournament, but Mario and I need to go through grinders to get a seat, which should be easy from what I hear because our only competition is ourselves v.v
Even the tournament coordinator said we get a round 1 bye because we're stacked in comparison apparently.

I'm getting better at not whiffing kicks, and utilt is definitely neat in how it actually KOs where as usmash doesn't until high %

jtm94

Smash Lord
It was at Pound 5.5 yesterday. He made it to GFs with m2k
This... Is wizardly! O.O I want to see and hear more about this eeeeee.o

On another note I made some nifty improvements with my Zelda today. Teleports are great for mind games, just tp back and forth then tp into the same place you started and take advantage of their confusion. Of course it only goes so far. I found out dash dancing out of teleport leads into some options like a pivot dash grab and a lot of people don't expect it, they expect Naryu's and will shield or just attack the air blindly so you can punish if you space it correctly. The tilts are far better than I originally thought. side tilt is amazing to catch the opponent before they make it to you where jab doesn't reach far enough, sh fair/bair is too slow and fsmash is too slow. It also does send right above at low %s allowing usmash into nair into uair combos and tech chase kicks. Lastly I wrote utilt off as being terrible, but my friend played Pit today and he's fairly proficient with him and I was having a hard time KOing besides kicks and on larger stages he can recover from either side blast zone. So he would approach me from above and that's when I found out utilt KOs Pit incredibly fast... Like 80% or less. It was hard to time out at first, but I think I can use the move without getting nailed every time. I just need to practice inputting it fast enough without jumping.

LASTLY: How can I use UpB on the side of flat levels without getting stuck inside? I saw somewhere someone said on Warioware you just UpB while holding up, but then let the stick go to neutral, and it works there for me. But on my friend's Project M I find myself getting stuck inside some levels hard were I am fairly certain it would have worked on Warioware.

Arcalyth

GLS | root
jtm94, I 100% agree with you on your remarks about ftilt :)

Uair is also an extremely potent vertical killer that combos nicely out of ftilt when you can't quite reach with nair or kick.

To teleport without getting stuck, just do the Up-B then let go of the stick. The "default" direction for any Up-B is generally straight up.

jtm94

Smash Lord
I try to uair and I can only get it at low percents, if they're at high percents my friend gets out of hitstun and punishes me hard. ESPECIALLY with his Link. I can never be above or especially below Link because dair KOs Zelda at like 60%. He gets me every single time with grab dthrow into a jump and dair and I'm star KOd like it was nothing... I've tried all the DI, if he reads it I can't do anything about it. But yeah I was trying to fish for KOs with uair, I just can't get there in time because Zelda isn't fast enough when I send them moderately high v.v

And yeah I remarked about how I know that teleport trick, and I tried it, and I got stuck in the level, at least 3 times. I hate undeserved victories because I die to myself for some unknown reason, so I'd like to figure it out. It especially happens the further down I am so it forces me to recover above the ledge where I die anyways. Is it just that I'm too close to the level or something?

Zerudahime

Smash Apprentice
Zeldas trajectory will get you stuck if you continue to hold up against a vertical wall.
If you just hit up b and let it in neutral u ride up the wall.
You can do that on ps1 to see the limits that it has. If you are deep underneath the stage you can still teleport neutral and hit the ledge currently.
play around with it some, it just takes some stage knowledge to get it to work well and know where to do it exactly.

jtm94

Smash Lord
Thank you greatly for clearing that up! I guess I was just holding up too long and hitting into the wall. Will test on more stages tomorrow to get the hang out it.

otheusrex

Smash Journeyman
Also, Ftilt is really useful for set ups, but I didn't realize it was good for stopping rush downs; I'll have to try it! What you said about fair/bair being too slow isn't true though. You can bair as soon as frame 10 and fair as soon as 13, though it takes a lot of practice to do it fast (well worth it, though!), whereas ftilt comes out on frame 12

jtm94

Smash Lord
Also, Ftilt is really useful for set ups, but I didn't realize it was good for stopping rush downs; I'll have to try it! What you said about fair/bair being too slow isn't true though. You can bair as soon as frame 10 and fair as soon as 13, though it takes a lot of practice to do it fast (well worth it, though!), whereas ftilt comes out on frame 12
Is that accounting for the jumping animation too? Hmm, maybe jab will be the goto fastish move.

Props to Zhime for putting in work at Pound, I love seeing Zelda do well irl at upper level tourneys.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger

Just thought I'd let you know, Ftilt hits on frame 10 in P:M.

Top Bottom