• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Social Thread

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
So, as some of you may know, some of the grunting noises characters make upon taking a hit hard at mid/high % were actually unused sound clips found in Brawl's files.

Another sound clip that was originally unused is the "HAAAAHH!" Zelda makes when she uses Farore's wind. Which of course was in Melee, but not used in Brawl.

A question for anyone who can look in those files: Is there any sound clip for Din's Fire that sounds like Melee's "HYYAAA!" like when she sets Din's off?

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
Well I don't want to get this thread further off topic, so I'll just agree to a $5 MM if you ever decide to come back to Texas.

In other news, I'm still trying to incorporate Zelda's ground game further, but it just seems so hard with how immobile she is.

Her whole ground game seems to be based around ftilt and grabs. I wish she would get more out of her throws. How do you guys typically use her throws?
D-throw dash attack up smash. Or: grab release into dins, grab pummel b throw.

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
Well I don't want to get this thread further off topic, so I'll just agree to a $5 MM if you ever decide to come back to Texas.

In other news, I'm still trying to incorporate Zelda's ground game further, but it just seems so hard with how immobile she is.

Her whole ground game seems to be based around ftilt and grabs. I wish she would get more out of her throws. How do you guys typically use her throws?
D-throw dash attack up smash. Or: grab release into dins, grab pummel b throw.

jtm94

Smash Lord
UThrow: Early percent toss up into Nair or KICK. Chaingrab fastfallers

FThrow: Can sometimes follow-up with KICK

Dthrow: Depending on character and DI you can follow with dash attack, KICK, or USmash.

BThrow: KO, or set up ledgeguarding/dins

I've been getting a lot more mobile with dins and it has proven fairly effective.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
If the opponent DIs wrong or fails to DI after D throw, I have been able to Utilt after it. But this is on Wifi, so I don't know how reliable it is

Arcalyth

GLS | root
Zelda has actually BEEN nerfed from 2.5b to 2.6. Fair and bair have a tiny bit more ending lag and dins take more time to send out, but are faster and smaller. I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure I'm not.
There's a changelog that outlines every change in the game. None of the things you mentioned have been changed. Dins actually got buffed in 2.5 with bigger explosion hitboxes. In 3.0 the static mine hitboxes do less damage. Fair and bair have the same endlag but tweaked knockback values. The only real nerf she got was the added frames to nayru cancel... which, the more I play, is the more I realize how significant that was. That nerf took away a lot of followups out of Nayru cancel

Dthrow is a horribly unreliable throw and is really only used for building damage and tech chasing. You can also set up a guaranteed kill if you set up a DI trap with Din's Fire. ALL of her other throws will net you at least a Din's fire followup if not more. You can get a good amount of mileage out of fthrow (her fastest throw) and uthrow.

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
There's a changelog that outlines every change in the game. None of the things you mentioned have been changed. Dins actually got buffed in 2.5 with bigger explosion hitboxes. In 3.0 the static mine hitboxes do less damage. Fair and bair have the same endlag but tweaked knockback values. The only real nerf she got was the added frames to nayru cancel... which, the more I play, is the more I realize how significant that was. That nerf took away a lot of followups out of Nayru cancel

Dthrow is a horribly unreliable throw and is really only used for building damage and tech chasing. You can also set up a guaranteed kill if you set up a DI trap with Din's Fire. ALL of her other throws will net you at least a Din's fire followup if not more. You can get a good amount of mileage out of fthrow (her fastest throw) and uthrow.
Maybe some of the stuff I thought was happening was a result of the engine design changes.
I've been liking grab release at the edge as of late. The prob with f throw at the ledge is if you don't get the follow up they can just go over your head onto the stage. With GR they will HAVE to recover.

Last edited:

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Random thought about aerial grab release. Do those CG still work on Meta Knight?
No, all grab release things should be fixed.

Also jtm94, Fthrow can be followed by Uair (Or maybe even an Usmash) if they DI up. Seems to work well on lighter/ish opponents. :smash:

Also, Dthrow has like dosens of different followups, but they all don't work if the opponent DIs away. :urg: All you can do after that is like, place a din's.

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269

Also jtm94, Fthrow can be followed by Uair (Or maybe even an Usmash) if they DI up. Seems to work well on lighter/ish opponents. :smash:

Also, Dthrow has like dosens of different followups, but they all don't work if the opponent DIs away. :urg: All you can do after that is like, place a din's.
Good, GR chain grabs were cheap.
Or teledash like I do. I didn't know about those Fthrow followups, thanks. Could you list all of the fast fallers for me?

Last edited:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I need some strategies for effective Din's placement. I do little things here and there, and if I know the opponent can't recover I immediately send some out in varying areas before they return (on the platform after they are KO'd) so they have to deal with them right away. But I can't seem to link a lot of my Din's into anything.

Also, is there going to be something akin to a "Zelda guide" for PM? Not so much on matchups exactly, but more on things like frame data, combos, and strategies to use. I understand PM is still being updated, but it would be lovely to see. Unless I'm stupid and it already exists and I overlooked it

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
UThrow: Early percent toss up into Nair or KICK. Chaingrab fastfallers

FThrow: Can sometimes follow-up with KICK

Dthrow: Depending on character and DI you can follow with dash attack, KICK, or USmash.

BThrow: KO, or set up ledgeguarding/dins

I've been getting a lot more mobile with dins and it has proven fairly effective.
One word: Teledash!

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
I need some strategies for effective Din's placement. I do little things here and there, and if I know the opponent can't recover I immediately send some out in varying areas before they return (on the platform after they are KO'd) so they have to deal with them right away. But I can't seem to link a lot of my Din's into anything.

Also, is there going to be something akin to a "Zelda guide" for PM? Not so much on matchups exactly, but more on things like frame data, combos, and strategies to use. I understand PM is still being updated, but it would be lovely to see. Unless I'm stupid and it already exists and I overlooked it
B reversed dins is something I NEVER see. Why?

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
If I'm practicing alone, sometimes I'll do b reverse Dins. I would love to see the whole "gliding" technique Zelda uses in a clever spacing stratey--if you throw a Din's out right after a jump a direction, and then glide to/away from your enemy. Seeing that glide being used somewhere is what I'm getting at

jtm94

Smash Lord
So I used dins fire to place a dins at the ledge so I could safely recover and then floated to the ledge. And she just didn't grab the ledge while I wasn't holding any direction. Dins fire was far over..

I do like the neat things that Zelda can do with Din's Fire though. I am actually getting into some pretty thought out/strategic/impromptu combos with it as well as incorporating it more effectively so I get hit out of it "less."

I'm trying to learn another character for the Link MU, I can't beat him at all. outprojectiled, outpressured, outranged. And I'm bad at ledgeguarding Link, I just use Din's to force a certain edge recovery and then punish with a kick. I want to try Sheik more.

Arcalyth

GLS | root
Does Zelda have a usable DACUS? I think no, but I could be wrong.
Project M Zelda cannot DACUS.

Din's Fire can be placed more precisely by quickly rocking the control stick up and down to adjust size and position. You can scoop under or arc over with its quick vertical control.

Ryoko's guide on this forum is great, you should read it.

flying_tortoise

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys so I've been playing zelda since I first discovered PM. trying to get into sheik also but want to rly master zelda before I do so. I don't think I've ever posted but the thread helped me a lot (especially ryoko's guide) when i first started out. I would like to say I'm decent, getting better for sure. I play on dabessdi quite a bit, except this week cuz i can't update to 3.02 til saturday -_-

Anyways without dabessdi I played comps for a little bit, and the squirtle mu sucks so i wanted to get used to it.

I started to short hop dins into the air (about head level) and was actually able to use them effectively. Trying to have a din on both sides i would use nayru or dsmash to send squirtle into the dins, comboing after with a kick, usmash, or throwing them to the other din. Also, you could shield against their side B, they would bounce off and into a din behind you allowing for more attacks. Then once they hit 100% you can place the dins on the ground.
Sadly, the AI doesn't use bubbles effectively so idk, But I want to know your guys' thoughts because I just came up with this strategy and I feel it eliminates a few squirt's comboing abilities.

Also shoutouts to zhime for all his advice (although there are a lot of dabessdi ppl as well) its helped me out a lot ...but i still got a ways to go
and also I'm pretty sure I saw whitelightnin on dabessdi ;) hope its goin well

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
Hey guys so I've been playing zelda since I first discovered PM. trying to get into sheik also but want to rly master zelda before I do so. I don't think I've ever posted but the thread helped me a lot (especially ryoko's guide) when i first started out. I would like to say I'm decent, getting better for sure. I play on dabessdi quite a bit, except this week cuz i can't update to 3.02 til saturday -_-

Anyways without dabessdi I played comps for a little bit, and the squirtle mu sucks so i wanted to get used to it.

I started to short hop dins into the air (about head level) and was actually able to use them effectively. Trying to have a din on both sides i would use nayru or dsmash to send squirtle into the dins, comboing after with a kick, usmash, or throwing them to the other din. Also, you could shield against their side B, they would bounce off and into a din behind you allowing for more attacks. Then once they hit 100% you can place the dins on the ground.
Sadly, the AI doesn't use bubbles effectively so idk, But I want to know your guys' thoughts because I just came up with this strategy and I feel it eliminates a few squirt's comboing abilities.

Also shoutouts to zhime for all his advice (although there are a lot of dabessdi ppl as well) its helped me out a lot ...but i still got a ways to go
and also I'm pretty sure I saw whitelightnin on dabessdi ;) hope its goin well
Dash attack counters Squirtle's side b I hear.

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
I believe it is at the tip of her foot, but I've never landed it.

And to get back on you can use Farore's to teleport to the ledge, save your jump to mix up how you fall down, or use Din's to make recovery safer.
No like, legit above the stage, like near the upper blast zones in the middle of FD. I was up there, and Zhime and WhiteLightnin just shut me down, kept me above them and finally killed me.

jtm94

Smash Lord
No like, legit above the stage, like near the upper blast zones in the middle of FD. I was up there, and Zhime and WhiteLightnin just shut me down, kept me above them and finally killed me.
That is where Din's is most effective, was it dittos? Because that is the most herp derp thing ever.
I really don't know anything besides what I listed. Sometimes I try to trade with dair to get them away.

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
That is where Din's is most effective, was it dittos? Because that is the most herp derp thing ever.
I really don't know anything besides what I listed. Sometimes I try to trade with dair to get them away.
Yeah, dittos.

flying_tortoise

Smash Journeyman
Wait how'd they get you up there? utilt and then just keep knocking you up with dins? I've never seen that b4.

edit: at least not as a go to strategy

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
Up throw uair, d tilt up tilt, dins up smash. You name it.
Cool thing is though, I took off one of Zhime's stocks, and if lag hadn't killed me once, and I had gotten the sweetspot instead of SDing, I might have been able to take off one more.

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
zelda does too well in tournies, plz nerf asap :(
She's not broken, she has some pretty obvious flaws, flaws you would know about if you read her page in the PM site. Good characters don't need nerfed, they need to never be changed again. So PM can move on to another character, like Yoshi, and make his tongue a tether recovery.

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
Project M Zelda cannot DACUS.

Din's Fire can be placed more precisely by quickly rocking the control stick up and down to adjust size and position. You can scoop under or arc over with its quick vertical control.

Ryoko's guide on this forum is great, you should read it.
Good then I wasn't missing anything. Lol

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269

My 200th post! I didn't think about a uair there, thanks for the tip!

Calzum!

LC | Team Heir
New Zelda PM main here, decided to pick up zelda after Ivy got nerfed. Just wondering what are decent stages for Zelda, like where should I be CounterPicking? cheers in advance :reverse:

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
New Zelda PM main here, decided to pick up zelda after Ivy got nerfed. Just wondering what are decent stages for Zelda, like where should I be CounterPicking? cheers in advance :reverse:
Battlefield, gives a great dins game and telegame. Smashville, Allows for great traps and sorta decent telegame. FD isn't wise unless you KNOW how to use dins.

Top Bottom