• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Zelda Social - Still the queen of Smash...and maybe queen of low tier for a decade, too. Shall we make it two?

Are you happy with the Link Between Worlds redesign?

• Yes, she's gorgeous and expressive.

Votes: 265 65.9%
  • No, Breath of the Wild had such potential.

Votes: 56 13.9%
  • No, Twilight Princess death stare Zelda was the best design.

Votes: 45 11.2%
  • I'm happy with any design, just as long as she's viable,

Votes: 36 9.0%

• Total voters

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
I'll say this. I'm glad that Zelda is now looking really freaking good. Hopefully she'll be viable now compared to her past renditions.

But my only complaint on her design overall, while I think is nice; is just her shoes. They just look off to me. :V

Also, there are some VODs by VGBC where they were having Exhibition matches, and some of them did use Zelda; specifically Larry Lurr and Nairo.

it's still possible to fall out of her f-smash and u-smash but that could be fixed (i hope it gets fixed)

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965
I love how she finally received all the fixes we asked for and people playing her decide not to use any of it and play her like a rush down character lol. I'd like to see some actual use of phantom slash and din's fire in neutral now that both are much better.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I love how she finally received all the fixes we asked for and people playing her decide not to use any of it and play her like a rush down character lol. I'd like to see some actual use of phantom slash and din's fire in neutral now that both are much better.
To be fair though not everybody plays Zelda the same way. I've always criminally underused her dtilt and phantom and am more inclined to go in.

otheusrex

Smash Journeyman
a couple of gyfs here... First one is of the fsmash multihits failing according to tradition
https://gfycat.com/AnxiousEvergreenFireant

second one is of dins fire being used to edgegaurd
https://gfycat.com/EsteemedUnselfishAustralianshelduck

so, with dins fire, even though it looks kinda easy to avoid directly, from what I've heard of the landing lag for directional airdodge (let's call it dAD), Zelda should be able to force people into unsafe landings like in the clip. The video showcases dsmash, but I think any quick move will be an option after forcing a dAD landing: dtilt and single jab might give better followups, for instance. Maybe grabs? This is assuming that the mario in the 2nd video wasn't jsut slow to react and was actually in landing lag.

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965
Finally finished all these! The last one took forever because I had to recolor literally everything lol. Still not 100% happy with how the last one turned out but it was as close as I could get it.

Link for bigger images

Last edited:

otheusrex

Smash Journeyman
My thoughts on Zelda:

Looks like a solid wall archtype, but this time around, actually functional with walling. Aerials are underwhelming for pressing the offense or comboing, but aSH (auto shorthop) looks to be devastating with her kicks, and her improved airspeed gives her flexibility with using aerials to zone.

https://gfycat.com/MisguidedNeatLeafcutterant
^nair is safe on PS (perfect shield) for instance. At least on some characters. Although, I think at most, this will be less about giving her frame traps and more about giving the Zelda main confidence to throw out attacks in order to defend vs certain options

KlicKlac

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KlicKlac
There was a problem fetching the tweet

There was a problem fetching the tweet

So Fallin is saying you get only one airdodge and if you do an directional airdodge, you get put in free fall (momentarily)

Have we seen players do more than one airdodge? Because this makes Dins' Fire really strong at edgeguarding if you only get one.

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965
Only time I have seen multiple air dodges is if someone was hit so I think what they are saying is correct. Din's Fire is insanely good now if that's the case. It's not a matter of someone simple dodging it now. They still can obviously, but doing so leaves them vulnerable to follow ups, making Zelda's trap game amazing now. If you get someone offstage and force them to dodge Din's Fire to burn their dodge it's pretty much a free punish since they can no longer dodge you.

Edit: I don't think it's free fall after directional air dodging though, I think it's just a ton of lag. Pretty sure I have seen people do directional air dodge and then recover afterwords.

Last edited:

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Pretty sure people have been referring to directional air dodge as just having a ton of endlag. Think pit’s S4 Side B.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
Zelda's new phantom seems really cool, I was thinking it could be used like a ledge trap for edgeguarding maybe? Like you can set it near the ledge while someone is recovering far out so they have something horizontal to avoid, which would force them to recover high or low. And you can combine that with Din's Fire and bc it seems faster now and with the new airdodge mechanics, they'll get hit or you can then try punishing them for airdodging after, which wouldn't be too hard because they were forced to recover in a certain direction and wouldn't have any airdodges left

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
They really need to fix Zelda's smashes. A read this hard should not be invalidated by such stupidity.

Edit : Zelda v Link on tree house... So many lightening kick sweetspots. Could it be...?

Last edited:

KlicKlac

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KlicKlac

Treehouse staff showcased Zelda's new phantom. They didn't actually fight, but just went through the phantom stages.

It has 4 stages.
stage 1 - kick
stage 2 - punch
stage 3 - sideways slash
stage 4 - upwards slash

Some phantom properties that need to be tested:
-Health of phantom stages
-Windbox properties
-Wall properties
-Respawn time

EDIT: Now they are playing zelda in a match!

Last edited:

Kyle B

Smash Cadet

Treehouse staff actually showcased Zelda's new phantom.

It has 4 stages.
stage 1 - kick
stage 2 - punch
stage 3 - sideways slash
stage 4 - upwards slash
Time Edits: Zelda vs Link starts at 4:41:45
Yep, and she played her semi decently I could hear them actually become more interested as the match went on.
Some more sweetspot stuff:
Lightning kicks: 73-98.2 (15.2) bair [4:42:42], 112-137.2 (25.2) fair kills[4:43:26], 39-61.4 (22.4) fair [4:43:54], 21.7-43.6 (21.9) bair[4:44:23], 58.6-78.7 (20.1) bair[4:44:49]
F-air and B-air seem to mostly stay at 20-22, but outliers like 15/25 appear fairly often and worry me...I wonder what could be making the damage shift in the range of 10...?
Every F-air and B-air sweetspot is on frame 6
Wind sweetspots: 140.8-155.9 (15.1) Kills easily [4:43:35], 158.9-169(10.1) Kills easily [4:45:18]
Wind seems to still have that quality that when it hits an object it scales up (you can follow some sparkles to see Zelda traveling, and when it hits the train it shoots up at an angle, speeding up to recover lost time) [4:43:35]
Edited times for every action I detailed, the video decided to jump forward an hour randomly, so I had to redo it. Let me know if it happens again...

Last edited:

Kyle B

Smash Cadet
ignore my comment lol, I'm deaf apparently, wish I could remove lol, new to commenting in this
Edit: Zelda board activity too op, my brain must have added in the part about him playing Zelda in melle *Shrug*
SuperEdit: Sorry Alacion lol...

Last edited:

McKnightlíght

Getting back into the dunk game
NNID
EvanMcKnight
3DS FC
4399-0018-3572
Ok so it does look like she'll be garbage unless they fix a ton before release, I'm relieved.

Gay Ginger

Make Smash Bros. Gay Again
Switch FC
3923-4397-1697
Is it just me or did the Lightning Kicks seem to have less knockback? Or maybe it was just due to the stage being tough for Zelda as they mentioned?

KlicKlac

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KlicKlac

Treehouse demonstrated Zelda's new Phantom Knight, and later have a Zelda vs Link match.

You can see that the fully charged phantom can be released immediately or held for a second while Zelda moves first before it launches.

My guess is you press down b to start building phantom, and press down b again to launch it. Or just let the phantom complete and it fires after waiting a second.

Luminario

Smash Lord

Treehouse demonstrated Zelda's new Phantom Knight, and later have a Zelda vs Link match.

You can see that the fully charged phantom can be released immediately or held for a second while Zelda moves first before it launches.

My guess is you press down b to start building phantom, and press down b again to launch it. Or just let the phantom complete and it fires after waiting a second.
I'm pretty sure they're just releasing B as soon as the Phantom is fully built. There seems to be a tiny window to release full Phantom straight away before it auto-cancels and it delays.
I really hope these small changes that we've asked for for decades now finally pay off and make her viable.

KlicKlac

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KlicKlac
I'm pretty sure they're just releasing B as soon as the Phantom is fully built. There seems to be a tiny window to release full Phantom straight away before it auto-cancels and it delays.
I really hope these small changes that we've asked for for decades now finally pay off and make her viable.
Yeah, it seems like there is really 5 phantom stages.
stage 1 - kick
stage 2 - punch
stage 3 - sideways slash
stage 4 - big upwards swing
stage 5 -delay, then big upwards swing

Now I want to know if zelda do perform any cancel while charging the knight. Like a shield or jump cancel that other characters with charging specials can do.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I know this was already talked about a little on the previous page, but this was dope as ****. And we need to discuss it more.

Literal queen of mind games.

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965
The move looks very awkward when it's released early. Floating parts of the phantom looks like a bad mod from someone that took fixing Zelda into their own hands lol. Hopefully Sakurai fixes that in the final version. Put like a ghost phantom inside that equips the armor pieces or something idk.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
A Zelda player should be hoping Zelda gets improved in Smash Ultimate. From your initial post, it sounds like you are playing Zelda because she is bad.
Well, yes that's precisely the reason he's playing her. It's not rocket science.

McKnightlíght

Getting back into the dunk game
NNID
EvanMcKnight
3DS FC
4399-0018-3572
I hope she continues to be a dumpster fire. It's what makes her special.

Top Bottom