• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Once a sister, always a sister.

I dropped Zelda at the beginning of Smash 4 but picked her up again after settling in here. Resistance was futile.
You should try Ganondorf sometime. He will put your body through pure bliss.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
I had my first productive session of Smash 3DS today playing with Greninja, Zelda and Yoshi against the level 9 CPU and with 9-10 matches against a guy by the name of "Will" on For Glory (no, not the DK player lol). Guys...I think Zelda's solid in this game. On paper, she seems nerfed, but the few buffs that she got along with the engine changes make Zelda much better than she once was in my opinion.

Din's Fire and Phantom Slash both aren't very good as projectiles, but they do a good job at pressuring the opponent and forcing them to approach, especially when used together. Phantom can act as sort of a cover for Zelda, while Din's Fire can go at long distances. They both usually whiff (especially Din's), but they do a good enough job providing pressure.

The Farore's Wind buff is huge. I'd take it even with most of the other nerfs that Zelda got. The new ledge mechanics make it a safer recovery and it is a great move for finishing a stock or retreating away. As you guys know, it kills very early and the teleportation is fairly quick. It can even be used similarly to Greninja's Shadow Sneak as a whiff punish.

D-air is great now and, along with Farore's, it makes Zelda's offstage game much better. It is an effective gimper now that it hits multiple times and the sweetspot seems a tad bigger.

Lightning kicks seem a bit easier to hit as well; the first f-air I tried sweetspotted and I was able to get more later on. The sourspots aren't as punishing as they were in Brawl either.

Zelda's tilts all seem better in their own ways even though they each receieved nerfs. F-tilt and U-tilt are much faster and D-tilt may be a bit faster too, but I'm unsure about that. F-tilt may not combo into Lightning Kicks anymore, but Zelda has more combo options now and it still kills horizontally at high percents. The speed buff really matters. I haven't used U-tilt much simply because I keep accidentally jumping or doing U-smash, but the speed buff and knockback decrease help to give Zelda a bit of a combo game. Its range is lacking however. D-tilt is good at setting up combos like in Brawl, but it doesn't need to trip the opponent to do so.

F-Smash and U-Smash aren't as good as they once were (especially U-smash), but from my experience, they hit most of the time. F-Smash only failed to complete once, and that was against Kirby. D-Smash is as good as ever.

Finally, D-throw is quite good. N-air is a good universal followup and B-air works at low percents and when baiting air dodges at higher percents. Best of all, as Nairo has shown, it leads U-air most of the time at higher percents. This makes Zelda a threat since she has a reliable kill option out of a throw. She's no Diddy, but this is pretty great for Zelda.

I can't say that she's mid tier yet since the competition for that status is so high right now, but even if Zelda is the worst in the game, she is viable and solid without a doubt.

I have two matches from For Glory that I recorded on my iPod uploading to YouTube (which is being kind of a pain right now) and I have more replays stored on my 3DS that I need to record. They are with Greninja vs. Palutena and Zelda vs. Pacman. Strangely enough, my first For Glory match was versus a Zelda with my Greninja (I didn't record that one yet though).

I've got to say that I'm enjoying Zelda nearly as much as Greninja and even more than Yoshi right now (who is my worst atm despite being high tier...). I look forward to playing again. :)

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Stale fair? Though even then I think it's one of Ike's weaker KO moves; bair, ftilt, and utilt are his stronger go-tos, no?
Nah, if anything was stale, it was probably Down Smash or Nair. Nair is weaker than Fair and Fair I believe is stronger than Bair. That or it switched around in SSB4 since Fair was great in Brawl. Ftilt wasn't going to work with Jigglypuff and lag, Dtilt is out of the question because Jigglypuff floats a lot, and the same goes for Side Smash. I even tried cherrybombing Jigglypuff with an on-stage Dair. This was a while ago, so I don't remember much. Anyway, Utilt, Bair, Ftilt, Dair, Fair, Uair, and Down Smash? are the quicker kill moves for Ike. Side Smash, Up Smash, and Eruption edgeguarding are the slower, but stronger ones. Then there's Nair, Dtilt, Quickdraw, Aether, and Jab combo that I don't think kill well. I don't know about his throws.

Last edited:

Farorae

Smash Ace
Gorls I know I trashed the granny Zelda alt a while back in my alts tier list but it has since grown on me and I put it at B tier

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Sew our Macchiato sistren has finally returned to tha one true gurl to play in SSB4?

I am pleased.

Gorls I know I trashed the granny Zelda alt a while back in my alts tier list but it has since grown on me and I put it at B tier
They all come around...

Last edited:

Twili

The Queen
Premium
NNID
dearlyxbeloved
3DS FC
3368-2389-1288
Switch FC
3149 6967 1296
You should try Ganondorf sometime. He will put your body through pure bliss.
I have enough fun thunderstomping people offstage with Zelda, but that's always an idea.
Hearing that sweetspot is almost as satisfying as landing an elevator into space.

Edit: Also, in place of a proper dinner since I couldn't think of anything to eat, I have chipotle-flavored popcorn. I'm not yet sure how I should feel about this.
Edit#2: Spicy. :dizzy:

Last edited:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Heyyyy

/10chars
So, the little insect strolls into our domain once again. Trying to pretend like nothing happen and only here because his "new friends" aren't entertaining enough for him. Pffft, I've had miniblins in my army that are more intelligent and thoughtful than you. You ditched the triforce for a stupid dragon, and you are never going to see the light of it again. Especially not after I'm done with you...
BAHAHAHAHA!

Hyrule Candy

Smash Journeyman
So, the little insect strolls into our domain once again. Trying to pretend like nothing happen and only here because his "new friends" aren't entertaining enough for him. Pffft, I've had miniblins in my army that are more intelligent and thoughtful than you. You ditched the triforce for a stupid dragon, and you are never going to see the light of it again. Especially not after I'm done with you...
BAHAHAHAHA!
*yawn*

Mericus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mericus
All this talk about working out :u

I used to do it, but mostly I was a runner ( aspiring to become a free-runner ) and could sprint for an upwards of 8 miles without tiring.

It felt very " free " and was one of the happier times of my life.

Unfortunately my family has always been plagued with disability and one day I just " couldn't " :/
In my current state, I've lost the ability to use my legs or be " mobile ".

- I just realised this may be too real right now, sorry... I only wanted to share some things about me with my friends here ><;

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Finally, D-throw is quite good. N-air is a good universal followup and B-air works at low percents and when baiting air dodges at higher percents. Best of all, as Nairo has shown, it leads U-air most of the time at higher percents. This makes Zelda a threat since she has a reliable kill option out of a throw. She's no Diddy, but this is pretty great for Zelda.
Gfycat apparently deleted a page of my early October gfys, but dthrow>Farore's is a thing around 70% for a flashy kill too.

Nah, if anything was stale, it was probably Down Smash or Nair. Nair is weaker than Fair and Fair I believe is stronger than Bair. That or it switched around in SSB4 since Fair was great in Brawl. Ftilt wasn't going to work with Jigglypuff and lag, Dtilt is out of the question because Jigglypuff floats a lot, and the same goes for Side Smash. I even tried cherrybombing Jigglypuff with an on-stage Dair. This was a while ago, so I don't remember much. Anyway, Utilt, Bair, Ftilt, Dair, Fair, Uair, and Down Smash? are the quicker kill moves for Ike. Side Smash, Up Smash, and Eruption edgeguarding are the slower, but stronger ones. Then there's Nair, Dtilt, Quickdraw, Aether, and Jab combo that I don't think kill well. I don't know about his throws.
Bair is a good deal stronger than fair, as are ftilt/utilt. Dsmash looks pretty solid, the other smashes are really slow (though I hear usmash is still good because of its range and power letting it cover ledge jump as well as rolls with a heavy punish, for example). Dthrow kills with rage iirc, there's probably a kill combo like dthrow>uair too or something.

Eruption seems hilarious to me after learning about ledgesnap vulnerability. Without a full charge the sword has an active hitbox too, and it reaches pretty far down for a good 7 frames.

I have chipotle-flavored popcorn.
I didn't know this was a thing.

This sounds highly relevant to my interests.

Twili

The Queen
Premium
NNID
dearlyxbeloved
3DS FC
3368-2389-1288
Switch FC
3149 6967 1296
Wait. This is a thing?
Apparently it is... there was also sriracha flavor.

.. I'm adventurous. I bought both of them.

I'm inclined to agree

Also, joining the late party but all you gorls on the north east, be careful and stay safe and warm this week. I hear this is gonna get nasty.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Here's some appropriate WiiFit Trainer quotes to keep you motivated. :D

:4wiifit:"Work hard to tone that tummy." "Work towards strong firm abs." "Let's tone up those legs." "Firm up those abs." "Feel the burn in your thighs and glutes." "Tuck in those glutes!":4wiifit:

Just be sure to post your results! :smash:

stand and hold smash. then sometimes people run into it
aka hope lag glory wins
Edit: Also, in place of a proper dinner since I couldn't think of anything to eat, I have chipotle-flavored popcorn. I'm not yet sure how I should feel about this.
should ask me to cook next time ;)

Lozjam

Smash Champion
I have enough fun thunderstomping people offstage with Zelda, but that's always an idea.
Hearing that sweetspot is almost as satisfying as landing an elevator into space.

Mmmm gurl, Ganondorf has got some serious sass. You just need to hit your opponent like 4 times, and poof, goodbye enemy.
It looks like this child has no attention span, or perhaps the inability to read proper English. So I will leave it at this. Attest for what you have done and give a proper apology, or show yourself out.

Hyrule Candy

Smash Journeyman
Mmmm gurl, Ganondorf has got some serious sass. You just need to hit your opponent like 4 times, and poof, goodbye enemy.

It looks like this child has no attention span, or perhaps the inability to read proper English. So I will leave it at this. Attest for what you have done and give a proper apology, or show yourself out.
nah, okay? okay

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Gfycat apparently deleted a page of my early October gfys, but dthrow>Farore's is a thing around 70% for a flashy kill too.

Bair is a good deal stronger than fair, as are ftilt/utilt. Dsmash looks pretty solid, the other smashes are really slow (though I hear usmash is still good because of its range and power letting it cover ledge jump as well as rolls with a heavy punish, for example). Dthrow kills with rage iirc, there's probably a kill combo like dthrow>uair too or something.

Eruption seems hilarious to me after learning about ledgesnap vulnerability. Without a full charge the sword has an active hitbox too, and it reaches pretty far down for a good 7 frames.

I didn't know this was a thing.

This sounds highly relevant to my interests.
Side Smash is more of a punish move at this point like Falco and Tripe D's Side Smashes, Up Smash functions like an anti-air coverage move and recovery punish since if someone constantly recovers high, then Ike can just Up Smash and leave them caught in a giant 180 degree arc, and Down Smash can be used to edgeguard, which I found out the hard way. On its own, it's good, but like nobody uses it. It punishes rolls and it's Ike fastest Smash.

Eruption is a fun edgeguard move like using Ganondorf's Volcano Kick to edgeguard, but easier since you can manually time it and it has super armor if you fully charge it. Tempest, the wind elemental custom is fun too. Here's @Omega Tyrant's Volcano Kick montage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvc5yO88ERY.

Last edited:

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
Just kidding, apparently gfycat just doesn't like to load page 13 and I found it again by sorting differently.

But it was a roll cancel pivot grab tutorial

Hey gorls, remember the good ol' days when Zelda's pivot grab was dumb as hell?
Ugh I can't believe roll cancelled grab isn't in the newest version, it was the greatest troll move ever

btw, how do you know where to angle Farore's for dthrow to riding the elevator of death? Is there a certain place the opponent will always end up or do you just have to take a guess on their DI?

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Hey coffee gals, guess what happened? Coffee and the Wii U talk at the SSB4 Social thread. Old news, but the Wii U's GPU was codenamed Latte and CPU was codenamed Espresso.

From the SSB4 Social thread where @Latte was mentioned. :p
Is it funny that the Wii U's GPU is codenamed Latte? The CPU's codename is Espresso but I think everyone knows about it.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Ugh I can't believe roll cancelled grab isn't in the newest version, it was the greatest troll move ever

btw, how do you know where to angle Farore's for dthrow to riding the elevator of death? Is there a certain place the opponent will always end up or do you just have to take a guess on their DI?
It still works with a forward roll, just no back roll to do a "standing" pivot grab. RCPG from a forward roll still slides though so it kind of defeats the purpose.

Gotta read their DI. No different than any other time you go for the elevator, really.

I thought for sure I was going to show up in this at some point lmao

I've died to volcano kick twice, both times because I underestimated the hitbox; once standing just past the windbox range, once hanging on the ledge thinking he was using it at a distance to punish ledge getup/roll.

It's so rare that Dedede's fsmash ever works out for me, best case scenario is they get clipped by the shockwave in most cases. I gave up on going for it awhile ago.

Last edited:

Soul.

Ganondorf's up tilt is the greatest.
If you're sure it will hit, use it. It's hilarious to see an opponent get destroyed by a kick. In Scrub Glory I used it to break this projectile spammer's shield, and it did. I then took advantage of the vulnerable state a character gets when their shield breaks by using Neutral B.

Nammy12

Smash Lord
NNID
Nammy12
Ganondorf's up tilt is the greatest.
If you're sure it will hit, use it. It's hilarious to see an opponent get destroyed by a kick. In Scrub Glory I used it to break this projectile spammer's shield, and it did. I then took advantage of the vulnerable state a character gets when their shield breaks by using Neutral B.
You're supposed to use up tilt again after breaking their shield and a taunt for maximum disrespect.

SBphiloz4

Gatekeeper of the Shadows
NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
You know how awkward it will be for @ Macchiato Macchiato to go back to that Lucina arena thingy that they're setting up? I mean, he was the one that brought us to them saying that the Mopcina gorls needed some Zelda to beat up, and lo and behold, he's suddenly on our side. :p

Oh, and here's something for the video archive. A random combo video on the 3DS I posted here like... 2 months ago?

http://youtu.be/BylRco1owHo

Top Bottom