• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
What the beck is so good about frozen anyway

Seems like a generic animated movie to me lol
lol it broke a ton of Disney tropes, definitely not generic

also story was good and music was fantastic (until everyone and their grandmothers started singing Let it Go then it just got annoying)

NairWizard

Somewhere
Saw someone complain about spammy ROBs on For Glory and rolling

k kiddos, listen up, Uncle Solide is going to teach y'all a lesson about neutral

Stage control is really important in this game. The ledge is not as safe as it has been in previous games, and you do not want to be backed into a corner. It's still better than being in the air, but it's not a safe place in general.

If you have 1/4 of the stage to your back and your opponent has 3/4 of the stage to his back, your opponent has the risk:reward ratio in his favor. Why? Just think about it. You go for an f-smash in this situation. You miss. What happens? You get f-smashed back and probably die/get sent to the blastzone, and now you're in a terrible position. What if your opponent goes for the f-smash and misses? He gets f-smashed back and gets sent across the stage--not only does he probably not die, he also probably doesn't even get sent off the stage. So the risk of going for that f-smash is much higher for you than for your opponent. This is because you didn't have stage control. When you don't have stage control, taking risks is, well, riskier.

Not only that, but when you have stage control you can play better mindgames by dashing in and dashing out or utilizing walking spacing. When you don't have stage control, the only mindgame you can play is going off the stage, which is a comparatively lousy option.

Now, if rolling seems strong to you, that's because it is. Rolling lets you reverse a bad situation instantly. In the aforementioned scenario, if you roll behind your opponent, suddenly the situation is exactly the opposite of what it was before: you now have 3/4 of the stage to your back and your opponent has 1/4 of the stage to his back. Rolling in this scenario not only let you set stage control back to neutral, but it also let you flip stage control completely on its head. It took you from disadvantage to advantage, in just one, not very risky move. Yep, rolls are strong.

So what do you do about it? Well, basically, you don't put yourself in situations where you are vulnerable to forward-roll. This will vary from character to character, but for most characters you want to pressure your opponent by staying in midrange, which means right outside of the roll range. If your character prefers to fight in close range (read: doesn't have good range/a good dashgrab), then you need to be ready to react to the roll. This means not shielding, because shielding will give you shield drop lag frames which will make it harder to turn around and punish the roll on reaction. Shielding makes you more vulnerable to roll, so don't just instinctively shield in response to being close to your opponent. Walk, crawl, dash, jump, perfect pivot, utilize your movement options.

Shielding as an option just puts you in a stationary position (with visible endlag when you're not hit), and that's no good. Think about archery or gun shooting. What's easier to hit? A stationary target or one that is moving? Obviously the stationary target. When you hide in your shield, you make yourself easier to pressure and hit. There is a time and place for shielding (in anticipation of an aerial anti-juggle, for instance), but there are usually better choices.

If you must shield (say, because of a matchup such as Rosalina vs. Mario, where Luma can hit you if you don't shield), then you can use SH n-air or another aerial to still hit the roll on reaction, though it is slightly harder and you have to predict that it's coming--on the other hand, because grab armor is gone now, this is a relatively safe maneuver and you shouldn't be punished that often for mispredicting.

So tl;dr: play well in neutral, and rolls aren't a big deal.

(this is all a lot harder on WiFi, but that's why WiFi sucks; you can still do most of this with practice though)

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
So, I've just learned something about Diddy... that is even more unnecessary than everything I already knew about Diddy.
  1. Dair
  2. Frame 17-17: 13% 25b/110g (KO@ 173%) 270°
  3. Frame 17-17: 10% 20b/100g (KO@ 252%) 270°
  4. Max Damage: 13%
  5. Enables transition to Dair landing state (landing lag) on real frame 17
  6. Cancels transition to Dair landing state (landing lag) on real frame 37
Why does Diddy's DAir pre-hitbox autocancel frames end when the hitbox comes out? I just got faked out twice by the computer doing AC-DAir (making me shield on reaction) > grab.

Sakuwhy.

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
@ Macchiato I'm going to read some of your other posts so I can get a better idea where you are coming from.
*blinks* wha

Falcon has a crazy awesome mixup game. Fastfall empty hop into jab, perfect pivot (the longest perfect pivot in the game) jab/d-tilt, RAR b-air out of dash, dash grab, dash attack, empty hop dash in, SH n-air, SH falling up-air on shield -> jab, dash in shield, Raptor Boost/Falcon Kick, run behind turn-around jab, run behind Raptor Boost, crossup up-air and b-air, double jump fastfall d-air/n-air/dash grab... all of these, and more, are strong options for Falcon.

Falcon has more options in neutral than anyone but Sheik and maybe Pikachu (but only because of Quick Attack).
What I mean is his tricks can all generally be answered by 2-3 options overall. All of the things you mentioned can be boiled down to:

- grab
- dash attack
- jab
- aerial

With some specials of course.

None of his options involve Zelda approaching. That's a big plus for Zelda vs. the rest of the fast characters, which she does have to approach.

This is what I meant, and why I think Falcon is easier to deal with for Zelda. I am also of the opinion that, unless tourney results get skewed, he's going to be below the likes of Sonic, ZSS, Yoshi, etc. He is forced to approach in every matchup and is totally reliant on outsmarting his opponent to even get damage in. This can be said for many, but at least other characters have many more safe options.

I think you are underestimating Zelda by a good margin. If you are considering a perfect Ganon, you have to consider a perfect zeldaw: all sweetspot landed, no farore spam, ledge cancelling, etc... Perfect zelda is scarry, maybe more than perfect ganon
I'm not considering a perfect anything. I'm considering what may actually happen in fights, and Ganon is far more likely to force Zelda into tech chases than Zelda is to gimp his recovery. With customs, he's simply a stronger character.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Trying to register my 3DS version of sm4sh on club nintendo but I keep getting an error message after submitting page 2 of the survey.

Related:
Me: "8. Tell us one or two things about Super Smash Bros. that you are most excited to experience?"
"Rosalina."
Me: I'm giving the highest quality of answers.
Me: >submit survey
Me: >error message
Me: nintendo I swear to god
Friend: nintendo clearly didn't like your answer
Friend: diddy only

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I don't know what the video was about, but it was hilarious.
The Golden Wheel Spider's natural predator is the desert wasp. It can try to escape notice by burying itself in the sand, but the wasp just happens to be a proficient digger. If the spider is revealed, it has a second escape option - tilting to the side, buckling its legs, and use centrifugal force and acceleration to roll down the sandy hills fast enough to escape the wasp. Taking body ratios into account, the Golden Wheel Spider becomes the fastest animal in the world when it rolls.

There is a spider in the world that literally spindashes as a self-defense mechanism.

Basically, you unearthed me by tagging, and I wanted to nope the **** out because I didn't think I'd be reliable enough to ask, so away I went~

Plus I love that video and will find every chance to use it.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Still not seeing the appeal. I'm not a big Disney fan at all so maybe that's why
I meant it was popular by comparison with the bad children's movies at the time but wasn't really a great movie. Also the song 'Let It Go' was popular and really carried the rest of the film.

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
I'm tired of people thinking that villager wins by camping.
If she's camping 99% of the time you have the advantage
I never said Villager wins by camping. I said Villager will stand there and wait for Zelda to approach and go from there.

It's not that Villager wins that matchup by camping. It's that Zelda loses that matchup by approaching.

SpiralGalaxies

Smash Lord
NNID
SpiralGalaxies
@ Lavani Lavani That happened to me as well. Only it skipped the survey. In the end it went through anyway? I got a notification saying: "You successfully registered both Smash 3ds and Smash Wii U! A Mewtwo Code will be sent to you!"

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
@ Lavani Lavani That happened to me as well. Only it skipped the survey. In the end it went through anyway? I got a notification saying: "You successfully registered both Smash 3ds and Smash Wii U! A Mewtwo Code will be sent to you!"
Wow I had to take the survey a second time to get it to go through ;_;
They approve of Diddy love, apparently...

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
What I mean is his tricks can all generally be answered by 2-3 options overall. All of the things you mentioned can be boiled down to:

- grab
- dash attack
- jab
- aerial

uh
isn't that like every move except tilts

SpiralGalaxies

Smash Lord
NNID
SpiralGalaxies
Yeah I only had to do the Wii U survey. It accepted my Rosalina love, but maybe because I also mentioned Robin/Lucina.

NairWizard

Somewhere
@ Macchiato I'm going to read some of your other posts so I can get a better idea where you are coming from.

- grab
- dash attack
- jab
- aerial

None of his options involve Zelda approaching. That's a big plus for Zelda vs. the rest of the fast characters, which she does have to approach.
Falcon only needs to approach if he doesn't have the lead. Din's Fire is beyond useless, you're never going to hit a character as fast as Falcon with that from long-range. If I have the lead as Falcon I'm going to sit and wait for you to approach me.

Why does Zelda have to approach ZSS? paralyzer is laughable, and she has nothing else long-range
Why does Zelda have to approach Sonic? What is Sonic going to do from long-range? Spindash from long-range is completely reactable. Sonic has fewer options than Falcon in midrange.

Yoshi, I will give you, because eggs are annoying

Falcon's doing better vs. Zelda in neutral than any of these guys except for Yoshi when he's ahead

When he's behind? Falcon has better approaches than all of these guys, so he's still doing better.

Falcon's neutral game is like, top 5.

It's not neutral that Falcon struggles in. It's disadvantage. He gets bodied in disadvantage, but in neutral he's a king.

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533
My answer for why I'm excited for the game:

It's smash bros

/truestory

SpiralGalaxies

Smash Lord
NNID
SpiralGalaxies
I got an error message with the Wii U survey too

whyyyyyyyyyy
I think my penance was that I went through an hour of trouble trying to get a working email because MSN/Outlook hates my soul. It wouldn't let me reset any of my passwords and kept locking me out.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
>club nintendo down for maintenance

If I don't get my mewtwo codes I swear to GOD

EDIT: oh is that just their generic crash page, it came back up now but I'm not signed in anymore
EDIT2: and can't sign back in because the site's just loading forever...
EDIT3: the club nintendo site is amazing

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Trying to register my 3DS version of sm4sh on club nintendo but I keep getting an error message after submitting page 2 of the survey.

Related:
I submitted mine a long time ago. Both the surverys involve Rosalina being the best and how she should be put into more things.

:rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina:

Also Bandana Dee for Smash as DLC.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
TIL Jouske mains Samus in Smash 64 because he likes how Screw Attack looks and sounds.

/what

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
The red tyrants are going after me for censor dodging.

WHAT HAS THE WORLD COME DOWN TO.

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
Falcon only needs to approach if he doesn't have the lead. Din's Fire is beyond useless, you're never going to hit a character as fast as Falcon with that from long-range. If I have the lead as Falcon I'm going to sit and wait for you to approach me.

Why does Zelda have to approach ZSS? paralyzer is laughable, and she has nothing else long-range
Why does Zelda have to approach Sonic? What is Sonic going to do from long-range? Spindash from long-range is completely reactable. Sonic has fewer options than Falcon in midrange.

Yoshi, I will give you, because eggs are annoying

Falcon's doing better vs. Zelda in neutral than any of these guys except for Yoshi when he's ahead

When he's behind? Falcon has better approaches than all of these guys, so he's still doing better.

Falcon's neutral game is like, top 5.

It's not neutral that Falcon struggles in. It's disadvantage. He gets bodied in disadvantage, but in neutral he's a king.
Zelda has to approach ZSS because ZSS has more range and a lot more speed in general. She has a few safe options against Zelda's shield and can actually reliably shield poke with enough pressure. Maybe I just suck, but I'm certain ZSS is Zelda's worst matchup by far for many more reasons besides this.

Zelda is generally going to approach Sonic because sitting by waiting for Sonic to run up to you and attack you will mean he has a free chance to either grab or hit you, and even if Zelda predicts properly, he can move right back out to safety. Furthermore, if she spends time trying to catch his approach, he'll just punish anything but I guess jab on reaction. Zelda's best chance in that matchup is to be close.

The thing that differentiates these characters from Falcon is that Falcon actually lacks safety when he goes in. Sure, Sonic can theoretically be punished everytime he rolls at you, but it doesn't happen. Falcon won't always be punished when he hits a shield or gets spotdodged on grab, but it happens. I simply believe Falcon is more susceptible to punishment than the other high tiers.

Furthermore, Falcon having a better approach than them is great and all, but if they don't have to approach to begin with, does it really matter? And, if you say Falcon is lacking when he's at a disadvantage, would that not mean he's much easier to deal with than characters who are problematic for Zelda at all stages of the game, even when she's ahead? I'm not saying that you said this - I'm just trying to tie in my original point with our discussion.

@ Brinzy Brinzy Zelda beats ROB bad. Pro ROBs even say it's one of his worst MUs.
I'm like 98% certain the best Robs from early Brawl days said the same thing, then they realized it wasn't actually true about a year later.

... not to discredit them or anything. It's the same exact matchup, only Farore's is a kill move and Zelda can't chain him as easily.
uh
isn't that like every move except tilts
Yes.

My point there was just having a lot of different ways to do the same thing doesn't mean you're actually more effective. It's about how reliable they are.

See: Diddy.

Last edited:

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
I'm like 98% certain the best Robs from early Brawl days said the same thing, then they realized it wasn't actually true about a year later.

... not to discredit them or anything. It's the same exact matchup, only Farore's is a kill move and Zelda can't chain him as easily.

Yes.
It's easier to gimp him. She can actually edgeguard him now. She can combo him. We kill him earlier. Have Farores wind helps the Match Up a lot.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Welp, I did my name change. I regret everything nothing!
:happysheep::happysheep::happysheep:
:rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina::rosalina:

(My avi on the other hand, I'm skeptical if the quality is alright).

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Is the Diddy CPU on the 3DS like... stupid? I decided to mess around with Lv. 8 CPUs - Lv. 9's read your input, so screw that - against Dr. Mario, Ganondorf, Meta Knight, and now Diddy. Of those 4, Diddy is stupidest one. Ganondorf is fun since he punishes you for everything stupid you do and so does Dr. Mario. One thing, do people use Dr. Mario's D-throw to Dair? The CPU did. Meta Knight was all right except for the constant misuse of Shuttle Loop out of D-throw. The only remotely smart thing Diddy did was Dtilt to Ftilt. Everything else was like walking around, using Banana Peel near the ledge which, well... yeah... and charging Peanut Popgun almost at pointblank and using it instead of recovering...

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
It's easier to gimp him. She can actually edgeguard him now. She can combo him. We kill him earlier. Have Farores wind helps the Match Up a lot.
I certainly agree it's one of Zelda's easier matchups. I still think the Robs just don't face enough Zelda in general to get a feel for it.

I would say it's even.
Is the Diddy CPU on the 3DS like... stupid? I decided to mess around with Lv. 8 CPUs - Lv. 9's read your input, so screw that - against Dr. Mario, Ganondorf, Meta Knight, and now Diddy. Of those 4, Diddy is stupidest one. Ganondorf is fun since he punishes you for everything stupid you do and so does Dr. Mario. One thing, do people use Dr. Mario's D-throw to Dair? The CPU did. Meta Knight was all right except for the constant misuse of Shuttle Loop out of D-throw. The only remotely smart thing Diddy did was Dtilt to Ftilt. Everything else was like walking around, using Banana Peel near the ledge which, well... yeah... and charging Peanut Popgun almost at pointblank and using it instead of recovering...
It's to fool you into thinking Diddy isn't a good character.

Last edited:
Top Bottom