• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

MDAVE

The Flying Dutchman
NNID
GoldDiaruga
3DS FC
1048-8967-3255
Lol. People playing smash without complaining about something is just not gonna happen, ever.

customslookinterestingthough, even more so for a tourney.

@ Berserker. Berserker. This Shulk is pretty co--OH LOOK A MARIO PLAYER!
Oh RIGHT. He reached top 8 too. Haha

He did some interesting FLUDD mind games on my brother. FLUDD'd him upwards then set up for the f-air. He lost though because of some SD's and he couldn't somehow deal with the wall of projectiles (This was before top 8 btw so yeah, no matches of that)

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
I wonder what would've happened with customs if there wasn't so much salt toward Diddy. I get the feeling they wouldn't even be considered competitively if their perception would've been "potentially upsetting game balance" rather than "save Sm4sh from becoming Super Smash Kongs".

I'm pretty neutral toward them either way and think a lot of characters become more interesting with them on (namely Palutena), but something as drastic as customs at EVO when there's been such limited exposure to them up to this point really just strikes me as a band-aid fix to a perceived need (Diddy Kong is too good, so we need to make other characters better even if it's just by giving them one really good button).

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
I just want cancer crescent slash to be legal
That's one of the customs I feel is kind of controversial. It's not really a trade off, it's just better than Dolphin Slash in every way. Are unescapable kills off of a throw at 60% going to be a problem? Idk. It's too early to decide anything about customs right now.
Another thing I should take into account is that if another smash is made. Lucinas probably not coming back.
rip mop

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Someone help I uploaded a 17min video and it said on my tablet that its uploaded, I check and its not there. My dad works in nintendo of japan 1 phonecall and any character on the roster can get nerfed/buffed.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Oh RIGHT. He reached top 8 too. Haha

He did some interesting FLUDD mind games on my brother. FLUDD'd him upwards then set up for the f-air. He lost though because of some SD's and he couldn't somehow deal with the wall of projectiles (This was before top 8 btw so yeah, no matches of that)
He uses FLUDD pretty nicely.

Also, these commentators getting Mario's mechanics all wrong make me wanna shake 'em to death.

Someone help I uploaded a 17min video and it said on my tablet that its uploaded, I check and its not there. My dad works in nintendo of japan 1 phonecall and any character on the roster can get nerfed/buffed.
We're nerfing Greninja and buffing Diddy. We'll also give a slight buff to Zelda's taunt

Please understand
these commentators getting Mario's mechanics all wrong make me wanna shake 'em to death.
None of them wanted to commentate because they didn't know much. No one wanted to commentate. Not even I. Lol

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I wonder what would've happened with customs if there wasn't so much salt toward Diddy. I get the feeling they wouldn't even be considered competitively if their perception would've been "potentially upsetting game balance" rather than "save Sm4sh from becoming Super Smash Kongs".

I'm pretty neutral toward them either way and think a lot of characters become more interesting with them on (namely Palutena), but something as drastic as customs at EVO when there's been such limited exposure to them up to this point really just strikes me as a band-aid fix to a perceived need (Diddy Kong is too good, so we need to make other characters better even if it's just by giving them one really good button).
IIRC, a few customs enthusiasts went to Mr. EvilWizard and it went something like this.

Customs Guy: "Hey you should allow customs!"
Evil Wizard: "No, they take too long to set up."
Customs Guy: "But Custom Moveset Project!"
Evil Wizard: "Oh snap, kk."

I don't think the conversation had a lot of considerations put into it.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
As a (not-that-known) tournament player, I'm not really fond of customs. Most viewers like customs though and they'd want the tournament players to try customs out. Even if tournament players express their iffy-ness with customs, viewers always want to have things go their way. This is really present even outside the whole customs debate. Anyone that plays Diddy gets thrashed. Anyone that tries to play campy gets thrashed. Although the viewers can't do **** to how players play in a tournament, they can really mess with it by legalizing customs.

The viewers do NOT understand the problems that will arise with customs being legalized.
I really don't like viewers either. I especially don't like how much power they have. It has to be this way sure, but it really gets on my nerves that they ultimately have the final say. Most notably with stages being ban.

I will say there also a lot of viewers against customs. The viewers can also not understand how custom are potentially beneficial. The viewers only react. They don't sit down and have a debate about it. They don't think about either of the good or bad consequences of things.

I know customs are fun to watch. To be honest, I have fun watching some custom matches but there have been a number of controversial customs/custom sets already. Take note that customs haven't been that developed yet so they may become much more formidable in the future when more strategies are found with the said customs. I'd rather play around with customs at side tournaments. It's really too early and we need more data regarding them. This is probably the safest way to determine if customs are fine or not. Making customs legal right off the bat for the final rule set is REALLY risky.

Think about it, if we walk in the path we're currently walking in this early without even knowing much about what can potentially come up ahead, we're setting ourselves up for a risk. Could be amazing. Could be bad. It's always best to play it safe, right?

So yeah, I'd play it safe. I don't think EVO will change their rule set though. Idk. If so then prepare for the biggest #adapt of your lives, EVO players. Unless you're not going because of the random chances of losing to Diddy main number X
There are two problems associated with playing it safe.

1. Not as big exposure.
2. Once the metagame settles, it will be almost impossible to convince the viewers of anything but the status quo even if they do turn out to be good.

The first points leads into the second one as not showing it off enough will make it hard for people to notice it. And if people don't notice it, they will just stick with what they have regardless of if it's beneficial or not.

As for it being risky, that depends on what you think is risky about it.

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
None of them wanted to commentate because they didn't know much. No one wanted to commentate. Not even I. Lol
The one time I commentated, I just focused on pointing out fundamentals. There was no way I was going to point at any specifics unless it was my character. lol

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
IIRC, a few customs enthusiasts went to Mr. EvilWizard and it went something like this.

Customs Guy: "Hey you should allow customs!"
Evil Wizard: "No, they take too long to set up."
Customs Guy: "But Custom Moveset Project!"
Evil Wizard: "Oh snap, kk."

I don't think the conversation had a lot of considerations put into it.
lol

Oh well, it is what it is.

The one time I commentated, I just focused on pointing out fundamentals. There was no way I was going to point at any specifics unless it was my character. lol
I might get swatted if I commentate because I might suddenly talk about my pre-tournament adventures

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
I just thought of an amusing way to get ballpark measurements for frame data on 3DS without having to record: go on Mushroomy Kingdom Ω with ROB as the CPU, set to Hold L, set the CPU to Walk + buffer the attack, release L when your shield pops up and measure how far ROB moved. ROB seems to take about 15 frames to walk the distance of one block.

@ Berserker. Berserker. You were not kidding when you said your brother was going For Glory Link. Jesus Christ.
"Um yo bro. I don't know **** about Sheik. What do I do?"

Berserker1: "For Glory the ***** and hope for the best"

"That sounds like a bad idea"

Berserker1: "**** it"

This is literally what I told him since I don't know the MU

Last edited:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Pretty sound advice I might say.
Speaking of For Glory, some of the matches I've had with :4littlemac: have been pretty funny experiences.
Some guy jets to the edge of the stage, shield up, expecting me to charge in with dash attack, and I'm just like "Y'know what, how about I grab you instead".
It gets them way more often than it should.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
I just thought of an amusing way to get ballpark measurements for frame data on 3DS without having to record: go on Mushroomy Kingdom Ω with ROB as the CPU, set to Hold L, set the CPU to Walk + buffer the attack, release L when your shield pops up and measure how far ROB moved. ROB seems to take about 15 frames to walk the distance of one block.
Gorl...This sounds sketch. I'll definitely try it! :secretkpop: then I'll compare the results to my way of ball-parking frame data! :bee:

Also, gimme that Ω I definitely want to use it for thinfs.

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
"Um yo bro. I don't know **** about Sheik. What do I do?"

Berserker1: "For Glory the ***** and hope for the best"

"That sounds like a bad idea"

Berserker1: "**** it"

This is literally what I told him since I don't know the MU
The hilarious part is it was still a very close set.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
It seems to lose accuracy with slower attacks; Palutena's smashes look like they'd be ~70 frames when they're more like 60~65 iirc

Seemed like an accurate enough method when I compared to attacks in the 30~50f range though

Speaking of slow attacks, dear god Zelda's usmash is even worse than I thought. Its hitboxes are already terrible, why is it so laggy too?! Fsmash is about as quick as Greninja's but with the hitbox staying out a lot longer so it's safer.

Soul.

Customs are going to give this game problems. They're cool but...
inb4 everyone wants to go back to default

Last edited:

Blossom ✿

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1923-2750-8413
Yeah, there are definitely issues as there sets that are plain ridiculous. We'll see how it all unfolds, for now it's probably best as a side thing.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Or we could just ban any remotely good moves e.g. Falco would end up with Explosive Blaster, Falco Charge, Fire Bird, and Accele-Reflector and Zelda would stay the same. :p

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
I've gotten a few shield breaks with :rosalina:'s rapid jab, :4jigglypuff:'s Pound, and :4dedede:'s fsmash

Getting a shieldbreak with :4greninja::4villager: rapid jabs like @ FullMoon FullMoon and @ Kofu Kofu did respectively takes a special kind of opponent though.

Soul.

Or we could just ban any remotely good moves e.g. Falco would end up with Explosive Blaster, Falco Charge, Fire Bird, and Accele-Reflector and Zelda would stay the same. :p
There would be rage if that happened lol.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Villager's Pocketed projectiles can break shields too. A returned full power Charge Shot is a guaranteed shield break unless they powershield.

Blossom ✿

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1923-2750-8413
@ Berserker. Berserker. You were not kidding when you said your brother was going For Glory Link. Jesus Christ.
Good Link/Toon Link Players>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>For Glory Link/Toon Link Players
I think someone already established this fact but still. Hell, I don't even remember the last time I fought a good Link/Toon Link on FG (somewhat off topic, but whatevs).

EDIT: (In response to FullMoon) Also, a shield break with Greninja? Damn, the person had to have been quite bad for that to happen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom