• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

SBphiloz4

Gatekeeper of the Shadows
NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
Alright, last final exam for me, then I am finally free to practice against some of you. Going to be fun. :D

Also planning on actually making some threads discussing her COMPETITIVE options for once. I mean, we gotta start developing her meta like... one day. Going to try and hit the lab as much as possible too. At this rate, don't you think this thread should be called....

"Rise and shine, girls! Another day to talk sh*t about Zelda!"

Because that's what we just did for 71 pages now. :3

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
Well, this character board still has a lot of guides, so it's something !

What do you mean by 'her competitive options' ? I'd be all for that but I sometimes struggle against someone who's supposed to be way worse than me (read : he plays Greninja and characters of the like) and I don't know what I'm doing wrong, although I end up winning 96% of the time...

SBphiloz4

Gatekeeper of the Shadows
NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
What do you mean by 'her competitive options' ? I'd be all for that but I sometimes struggle against someone who's supposed to be way worse than me (read : he plays Greninja and characters of the like) and I don't know what I'm doing wrong, although I end up winning 96% of the time...
I really don't think we have milked out this character to her completion, even though it already feels like stale around here, haha. We're probably not going to find anything to save this character from the basement, but at least we need something to keep our opponents on their toes.

There's already a MU thread made by JigglyZelda, but it's gotten inactive--. Was planning on writing something for Zelda's stage viability and MUs that are worse/better depending on the stage. We'll see if that materializes. c:

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
I was wondering... Do you know if there's anyway of getting out of the tumble animation by shaking the stick in this iteration ? Cause it doesn't seem that way unless I'm doing something wrong. Also, I see people talking about doing stuff OoS, but it seems you now have to releease shield before performing an Up B which wasn't the case before... Am I crazy or did they change some physics like that ? I feel even more limitated than before, so I wanted to know if I was the problem or if these changes did happen, lol.

As for the Match-Up thread, it would be great if it was updated again. Maybe we should start by the match-ups in which she doesn't get utterly destroyed just so we don't get demotivated too quickly.

PS : The Zelda boards are the best / funniest. I may not 'main MAIN' her, but she's been my number 2 since Melee so I would like to see her strive as well... Lol

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Tech chasing with faore's wind is the most legit thing. When your character is too slow to normally tech chase, why bother running after a successful hard read when you can teleport instead.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
^ Grounded FW angled down slightly at the destination of your grounded opponent's roll to get up. Probably take a little lab tuning to get grounded FW angled shortening destinations down, but it sounds neat.

Last edited:

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Also, I see people talking about doing stuff OoS, but it seems you now have to releease shield before performing an Up B...
Technically, couldn't you (If you're quick.) Do a jump cancelled grounded up B OoS? That would be faster than a shield drop and definitely very useful for that completely her metagame Up B Elevator.

Last edited:

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Noob question, but how do you tech chase with FW?
Well tech chasing is largely about reads and/or reaction. Like let's say you hit the opponent with something somewhat weak like an uncharged phantom. They're pretty much three scenarios that could occur. One is jump after being hit, in which case nothing can be done. Another is landing on the floor, in which case they'll get-up attack, get up, or roll to the side. Last option is teching in place or tech rolling.

To "tech chase" with FW, you're gonna have to read a roll in the last two scenarios... or you could just simply read a roll like if they're trapped on the ledge and want to be in a neutral position. Requires a bit of reaction though.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
wait i thought you could still UpB OoS? i'm pretty sure i've still been able to do it in this game...
That's what we were talking about. :p that it IS still possible to JC it (Or for you tap up jump users, simply inputting ^ + B) as an OoS option.

Last edited:

Alphatron

Smash Champion
It's the reason I still play with tap jump on.

Actually, that's a lie. I play with tap jump on because I can't ever get used to playing with it off. I've tried by practicing in smash run and I have failed. The closest I came to not using tap jump was when I was playing with the wiichuck set up in brawl.

On an unrelated note, I hate the holidays. Getting gifts for friends and family can be pretty pricey. Especially when you have no way to buy things off the internet. I wish Nintendo World sold Flaaffy plushies.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
Pricey and awkward. That's the entire holiday season.

Oh, Patch 1.0.4 was the final balance patch. ****
I for one do not welcome our new Diddy overlord.

Please fix DH's broken smashes at least.
This sis doesn't even know about Zelda
like 95% of Smashers.

Last edited:

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Speaking of overlords, how much worse IS MK in this game? I have absolutely no idea, but it seems hard to believe that he is at all bad.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
Speaking of overlords, how much worse IS MK in this game? I have absolutely no idea, but it seems hard to believe that he is at all bad.
Yeah he's still fast, good at edgeguarding, uair/dair still good.
It's like people looked at the fact that he can no longer do whatever he wants and determined that he must be bad.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
That's what we were talking about. :p that it IS still possible to JC it (Or for you tap up jump users, simply inputting ^ + B) as an OoS option.
well I play with tap jump off, but I assumed having to hold up and press jump while doing upB was the same as normal upB Oos. Lol

is there a difference I missed?
Yeah he's still fast, good at edgeguarding, uair/dair still good.
It's like people looked at the fact that he can no longer do whatever he wants and determined that he must be bad.
i think this is the same thing with Falco, people still saying h's bad, but Falco still has an Amazing Cqc game. Poor Zelda still beaten by his jab....

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
Oh wait, that's all I needed to do ? Put tap jump on ? Lol, I've been perplexed by this change for days. x)

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
well I play with tap jump off, but I assumed having to hold up and press jump while doing upB was the same as normal upB Oos. Lol

is there a difference I missed?
i think this is the same thing with Falco, people still saying h's bad, but Falco still has an Amazing Cqc game. Poor Zelda still beaten by his jab....
Can we still challenge jab with a fair? :p

In one match with a Captain Falcon, he just held jab and I got 2-3 kicks on him in a row. I think this was because the moves 'canceled' each other out, but... how to explain... his jab seemed to lock him in place, even as he took the boot to the face. For awhile anyway. Looked kinda cool lol

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
MK is still good. Just don't jab. Don't ever jab. Try not to jab.

I require this. I will beg for it.
Just imagine all the cashmere softness from its wool and its velvety fur. Aww, now I want one :(

Though I'm quite content with my Mew plushie, which has more fur than its canonical version lol

Last edited:

Hyrule Candy

Smash Journeyman
Olimar, Charizard, Dedede, Doc, Falco, Link, Donkey Kong and Wii Fit Trainer are all better than Zelda without any doubt. That leaves Ganondorf, Samus and Swordsman. Imo Ganondorf is similar to Zelda but much scarier and more effective so I feel he's better. I can't imagine Samus being worse than Zelda either. That leaves Swordsman but I know nothing about him.

NO. NOOO NO NOOOO.

Allof the other positive traints you mentioned are either not entirely correct or somewhat wrong but Zelda having good match-up is just flat-out a lie.

First of all, Little Mac is simply unwinnable. He has ANYTHING that could simply destroy Zelda and she can't do anything against him. But other than this unwinnable match-up, she also has plenty of other horrible match-ups like:

Diddy Kong
Sheik
Sonic (never played a very good one, but this might also be unwinnable)
Greninja
Peach
Falcon

among many more. Zelda's match-up are looking very bad and we're still early in the game... it can really become only much much worse.
[/quote][/quote]
She's definitely better than Samus and I can't see her being better than zelda. She's better than dr. Mario for sure. Olimar, charizard, Dedede, wii fit are probably worse imo. Swordfighter is definitely worse.
The others might.

As for MUs
MU favoring zelda
:4bowser::4bowserjr::4charizard::4dedede::4dk::4duckhunt::4ganondorf::4link::4megaman::4olimar::4pacman::4robinm::rosalina::4samus:

Even MUs
:4diddy::4drmario::4rob::4sheik::4myfriends::4wario::4ness::4falcon:

MUs not favoring zelda
:4darkpit::4jigglypuff::4falco::4fox::4gaw::4greninja::4kirby::4littlemac::4lucario::4lucina::4luigi::4mario::4marth::4metaknight::4peach::4pikachu::4pit::4shulk::4rob::4tlink::4villager::4wiifit::4yoshi::4zss:

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Hard to say who's better between Zelda and Ganondorf. Ganondorf doesn't have to worry about sweetspotting and profits off reads way better. Zelda has some projectile pressure and is faster. She also has an off stage game and better recovery.

Does Riot even play these days?

Last edited:

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
Sheik has to be Zelda's worst matchup, imo. Zelda has to approach and everything she does has to hit or she'll be punished.
And Olimar is still one of Zelda's worst matchups, right?

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
You thank your kind Goddess of Light that he's not playing aggro.

Then just Din's. Probably have to hope your spacing and power shielding is on point.

Last edited:

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Wifi dash attack his landings.

In all seriousness though? Can't say I played a defensive Marth in this game yet, let alone many Marths at all. Is running shield useful at all? Just be careful so that your shield doesn't get depleted fast.

Last edited:
Top Bottom