• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
I'm hoping to change that one day. Once I get my life pulled together, and I come out of hiding from silly things, I'll probably be the only Zelda in Texas as far as I know of. As for Greninja, it'd only be me and @Sync. unless he drops him in the future.
I wish I lived somewhere where had a seen, I might move to Texas soon because we have relatives there and stuff. They live in Dallas and maybe if I do we can rep zelda together. Also you'll do great, I hope zelda works out

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
I wish I lived somewhere where had a seen, I might move to Texas soon because we have relatives there and stuff. They live in Dallas and maybe if I do we can rep zelda together. Also you'll do great, I hope zelda works out
Sis if you moved here, we'd be chilling at Starbucks every day. with imaginary money of course

Last edited:

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
Hopefully that won't happen for another 17 years or so.

So I was bored on For Glory, which means I usually pick a random character to screw around with. Since I've been hanging out here, I thought I'd try Zelda. Some of the highlights:
1. Suiciding by jumping and inputting Din's Fire in the opposite direction because the move carries her momentum and for some reason puts her into special fall (even for some characters I don't play I can see bad design choices and that's one of them).
2. Attempting to Farore's Wind a Kirby after sending him in the air and getting Stoned for my efforts.
3. Attempting to Farore's Wind someone by the edge and instead of hitting them or ledge canceling, I hit their shield an fall off and die.
4. Trying to FSmash Kirby and have him fall out of the attack at least twice (it might have been three times) in quick succession.

So yeah, I still can't use Zelda and still don't find her especially fun. What on earth so you guys do when the opponent doesn't approach or just doesn't care about her defensive game? It seems impossible.
I usually try and play it safe if my opponent won't approach. Lots of Jab, Dtilt, and Utilt here. Occasionally I'll try something random to throw them off, like a dash attack, dash grab, or a short hopped aerial or Nayru's (lol it works out sometimes, ok?). Short hop dair is used a lot in neutral, as it covers spotdodges and rolls behind you. The bounce from the sweet spot leads into a bunch of stuff too.

Once I'm in, I try to play aggressive and keep the pressure on. I've found that momentum really helps Zelda. Sometimes I'll be around 80% while my opponent is at 10% or so and manage to bring it back by getting a lot of grabs and the like.

But that's just how I play. There are certainly other styles to try!
Greninja users for confirmed wifiphobics. Yep, I totally sympathize. I was fighting my friend yesterday (who I have a mental block against on top of that) and I pretty much SD'd every other match or so - at one point it was in a row. The funny thing is that we try to play more careful because we don't want to SD, but then the nerves/pressure get to us, and we SD anyway.

Also, believe it or not, some stages are terrible for Zelda's recovery. Stages with unusual layouts underneath the bottom of the stage will sometimes send Zelda underneath the stage when recovering. It's really stupid. Then again, it sure beats SDing with Shadow Sneak.

Which reminds me...

I lost my mind at one point and I tried to Shadow Sneak with Zelda, and Up b out of shield with Greninja. Then I realized it was 4 am and yep. I will say though that it had some amusing results.
LOL I do that with my characters too sometimes! Playing Fox and trying to Nayru's out of things....didn't work out. Fox is no magic princess.

Also I was wondering if you wanted to have more training stuff or maybe even some friendly matches sometime since we have a top tier connection. Maybe the lag will be nonexistent enough for us to control our characters, lol. Just not now because I have to do a eulogy speech ugh

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Does zelda have any notable mains other than nairo. The ones I've seen in tournament use her once, then never use her again
Orion used her in the 3DS era, but he seems to be sticking with Sheik now.
Greninja users for confirmed wifiphobics. Yep, I totally sympathize. I was fighting my friend yesterday (who I have a mental block against on top of that) and I pretty much SD'd every other match or so - at one point it was in a row. The funny thing is that we try to play more careful because we don't want to SD, but then the nerves/pressure get to us, and we SD anyway.

Also, believe it or not, some stages are terrible for Zelda's recovery. Stages with unusual layouts underneath the bottom of the stage will sometimes send Zelda underneath the stage when recovering. It's really stupid. Then again, it sure beats SDing with Shadow Sneak.

Which reminds me...

I lost my mind at one point and I tried to Shadow Sneak with Zelda, and Up b out of shield with Greninja. Then I realized it was 4 am and yep. I will say though that it had some amusing results.
Yeah, Lumiose City on 3DS in particular is really terrible for Farore's Wind. I accidentally selected it as a counterpick when I thought that I was striking it and it really screwed with me. Surprisingly and embarrassingly, I SD'd twice in a row on Battlefield when trying to edgeguard too deep and the Greninja main pity SD'd for me. I was touched by his/her kindness, but still ashamed.

On another note, I decided to take a session to invest in developing my Sheik and I ended up making her about as good as or better than my Yoshi with customs. While this is not super surprising since I'm a Sheilda main in Brawl, it's still kind of crazy. She is even easier to combo with than Pikachu, her Needles are disgustingly good projectiles and her recovery is superb.

But her customs are seriously slept on. PISCES. This move is amazing! It goes farther than Bouncing Fish and has less ending lag if you decide not to kick (but is very punishable if you do end up going for the kick on stage), but most of all, its kill power is absolutely stupid. It is super risky to edgeguard Pisces Sheik safely because if you're within its range, you die ~70% near the ledge. This move is no joke. About 50% of my kills when practicing yesterday came from this.

Side B 2 also indirectly helps to alleviate her kill problems, since it, like Greninja's Shifting Shuriken, can lead into U-smash (or D-smash) at certain percents. It can be a bit challenging to hit with though because of its mediocre speed and hitbox size. So yeah, I think Sheik is the best character in the game with customs.

Also, I'm not sure if anyone knows this, but Sheik's U-air can spike when it's quickly fastfalled, similarly to Greninja again. It has fewer guaranteed followups than Greninja's, but it's still somewhat noteworthy. I'll see if the Sheik boards know about this.

Last edited:

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
I usually try and play it safe if my opponent won't approach. Lots of Jab, Dtilt, and Utilt here. Occasionally I'll try something random to throw them off, like a dash attack, dash grab, or a short hopped aerial or Nayru's (lol it works out sometimes, ok?). Short hop dair is used a lot in neutral, as it covers spotdodges and rolls behind you. The bounce from the sweet spot leads into a bunch of stuff too.

Once I'm in, I try to play aggressive and keep the pressure on. I've found that momentum really helps Zelda. Sometimes I'll be around 80% while my opponent is at 10% or so and manage to bring it back by getting a lot of grabs and the like.

But that's just how I play. There are certainly other styles to try!

LOL I do that with my characters too sometimes! Playing Fox and trying to Nayru's out of things....didn't work out. Fox is no magic princess.

Also I was wondering if you wanted to have more training stuff or maybe even some friendly matches sometime since we have a top tier connection. Maybe the lag will be nonexistent enough for us to control our characters, lol. Just not now because I have to do a eulogy speech ugh
Sometimes I try to play "too safe" and then I end up choking when my opponent breaks past my defense and starts aggressively pressuring me. It's really hard to adapt to that. Least for me... I'm working on it though.

I'd totally be down for some training/and or matches later today. Feel free to hit me up on Skype as well. And yes, let us hope our top tier connection returns... I really got spoiled by it after we played lol.

Orion used her in the 3DS era, but he seems to be sticking with Sheik now.

Yeah, Lumiose City on 3DS in particular is really terrible for Farore's Wind. I accidentally selected it as a counterpick when I thought that I was striking it and it really screwed with me. Surprisingly and embarrassingly, I SD'd twice in a row on Battlefield when trying to edgeguard too deep and the Greninja main pity SD'd for me. I was touched by his/her kindness, but still ashamed.

On another note, I decided to take a session to invest in developing my Sheik and I ended up making her about as good as or better than my Yoshi with customs. While this is not super surprising since I'm a Sheilda main in Brawl, it's still kind of crazy. She is even easier to combo with than Pikachu, her Needles are disgustingly good projectiles and her recovery is superb.

But her customs are seriously slept on. PISCES. This move is amazing! It goes farther than Bouncing Fish and has less ending lag if you decide not to kick (but is very punishable if you do end up going for the kick on stage), but most of all, its kill power is absolutely stupid. It is super risky to edgeguard Pisces Sheik safely because if you're within its range, you die ~70% near the ledge. This move is no joke. About 50% of my kills when practicing yesterday came from this.

Side B 2 also indirectly helps to alleviate her kill problems, since it, like Greninja's Shifting Shuriken, can lead into U-smash (or D-smash) at certain percents. It can be a bit challenging to hit with though because of its mediocre speed and hitbox size. So yeah, I think Sheik is the best character in the game with customs.

Also, I'm not sure if anyone knows this, but Sheik's U-air can spike when it's quickly fastfalled, similarly to Greninja again. It has fewer guaranteed followups than Greninja's, but it's still somewhat noteworthy. I'll see if the Sheik boards know about this.
I haven't played Smash 3DS in forever, so I forgot Lumiose was a thing xD

Sheik is a character that I want to like, but idk I just... for some reason, she's been elusive to me. My Sheik was bad in Brawl too, though Melee it was alright (cause lol Melee Sheik). In fact, there's a lot of characters I kinda want to work on more, even ones I complain about fighting against.

I don't know how you people do it. Use so many characters and be able to do well with all of them, or most. I can barely keep up with one character, let alone several.

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
It's been known since October for like, every character that has a multihit aerial with autolink/270° angles.

Somehow 80% of the characters that can do this have been rediscovering it lately though

UkeNicky

Smash Ace
NNID
UkeNicky
Robin is in no way deserving of being called the 2nd worst in the game. His only real weakness is that he has reliable way to deal with pressure, but unlike Zelda who has a similar issue, Robin actually has a way to keep his opponent out with Arcfire, Thunder, Elthunder, Arcthunder, and Distant Nosferatu if customs are being used.
He also has:
  • A move that heals him AND does damage
  • Disjointed Levin Sword aerials with ridiculous range
  • Reliable damage rackers (Arcfire/thunder to aerials, Arcfire to Arcfire to LS uair, utilt strings to usmash, etc.)
  • Reliable kill setups (Arcfire/thunder to LS uair, tipper LS bair, tipper usmash, or Thoron)
  • Items that can KO and do a ton of damage (around 15-20% iirc)
  • A bthrow that can KO at ~100% with rage at the edge of the stage
  • A very fast aerial that is good at gimping and doesn't use any LS uses.
  • Barely any landing lag on any of his aerials, only dair and bair have some.
  • Only his smash attacks and projectiles have significant end lag, but you'll almost always be far away when throwing out projectiles so that doesn't matter too much.
  • His tilts and jab come out rather quick and don't have much end lag.
I personally think he should be at the bottom of B- or the top of C+.

Also lol at Zelda not being dead last

Zelda got that Phantom tho, why don't people use it more? Everyone keeps it fresh then they don't use it wtf.
And the only time I do see anyone use it is to return to the edge safely which is cool but cmon you can hide behind your Phantom and Ftilt/Fsmash Dtilt or whatever you want, but he's practically an expendable decoy

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
Omega Bridge of Eldin makes me cry ;_; even if you're barely underneath the ledge and you use Farore's it makes you SD. Same with the portion of Halberd on the ship. Like you can't even recover due to the weird curves, you'll just magically teleport to your death >_>

edit: oops didn't see this

Zelda got that Phantom tho, why don't people use it more? Everyone keeps it fresh then they don't use it wtf.
And the only time I do see anyone use it is to return to the edge safely which is cool but cmon you can hide behind your Phantom and Ftilt/Fsmash Dtilt or whatever you want, but he's practically an expendable decoy
omg wtf is with Youtube comments lmao

I actually use Phantom a lot at the beginning of the match to zone or hide behind it and laugh as people try to run past it :^) It's good for edgeguarding too since it goes in a straight line and by it just being at the edge of the stage it destroys Ike's and possibly Shulk's recovery

Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Omega Bridge of Eldin makes me cry ;_; even if you're barely underneath the ledge and you use Farore's it makes you SD. Same with the portion of Halberd on the ship. Like you can't even recover due to the weird curves, you'll just magically teleport to your death >_>
every time I play that stage

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Does zelda have any notable mains other than nairo. The ones I've seen in tournament use her once, then never use her again
Cosmo, the guy who does, I think, OoT speedruns plays Zelda, but I don't think he goes to tournaments or competes much.

Last edited:

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592

edit: oops didn't see this

omg wtf is with Youtube comments lmao

I actually use Phantom a lot at the beginning of the match to zone or hide behind it and laugh as people try to run past it :^) It's good for edgeguarding too since it goes in a straight line and by it just being at the edge of the stage it destroys Ike's and possibly Shulk's recovery
The irony of this is that Zelda stages are bad for Zelda. Good game Sakurai.

Kalos Pokemon League can mess up Greninja too because he can't wall cling there lolol. Idc though cause I love that stage <3

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029

I find Phantom's uses very niche. It's also super laggy, and easy to avoid. I usually just use it to delay the opponent setting up an edgeguard, or to cover a landing. I can see it becoming more useful in the future, however. Especially a B-Reversed one.

LOL that comment!
The irony of this is that Zelda stages are bad for Zelda. Good game Sakurai.

Kalos Pokemon League can mess up Greninja too because he can't wall cling there lolol. Idc though cause I love that stage <3
Butbutbutbut BoE is just AMAZING for all the Zelda characters' Final Smashes! :bluejump:

Oh and I might be able to play later. Depends on how fast I get this speech done. I should probably start, actually.....

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
That's what you get for using lame characters like her.
Omg but Ferno I was using her cuz her recovery wasn't lame. But then she decided to be a backstabbing ***** with her ghetto Farore's Wind knockoff and died smh
Sorry but omega lylat has the worst edges. period.

how the **** are you supposed to sweetspot that?
Lylat Cruise is a Zelda main's living nightmare /cringe

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
Jfc, Duck Hunt's star KO scream is SO HEARTBREAKING.

Also, I died at ghetto Farore's, hahahahaha.

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
Sorry but omega lylat has the worst edges. period.

how the **** are you supposed to sweetspot that?
That's why it's my favorite stage:190:
My mains can recover on those ledges any time, and seeing someone die/salt due to them is always priceless
Lylat Cruise is everyone who wants to recover's living nightmare lol
Cept Link :4pacman:
And :4villager:
Can't wait to play you all, so I can show you guys the horrors wonders of Lylat!

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I probably should be taking more people to lylat with Jigglypuff and Villager. Jigglypuff because of lol stage spikes, and Villager because of actually good recovery here.

But if any of you take me to Lylat while I play as Rosalina, I will end you. :happysheep:

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
I'm not sure WFT's Usmash is worse than Zelda's,

I mean, they pretty much have identical horizontal range :secretkpop: (Well, aside the final hit on Zelda's.)

Along with this, WFT early sour spot can KO at the same percent and does the same damage as Zelda's when all of its hits connect, and LOL do they do that?

They at least balance out comparatively in that way that while WFT is harder to land, Zelda's has damaging/full success issues, lol.

And then I haven't even factored in WFT sweet-spot, which is pretty easy to land if you're landing ha Usmash at all.

Then there's the roughly 3 frames of complete invincibility on WFT Usmash covering the time between releasing the charge and the first hit-frame, according to @Indigo Jeans.

Yeah, Zelda Usmash is likely less useful than WFT's. :urg: Not that it can't be used! I should say. I still <33333 using it even though it's so much more rigid and limited in use.

I'm sure WFT wouldn't mind borrowing Zelda's Usmash though; I think she'd appreciate any smash that was faster than 14 frames and could still KO. :urg: :urg:

Last edited:

UkeNicky

Smash Ace
NNID
UkeNicky
I'm not sure WFT's Usmash is worse than Zelda's,

I mean, they pretty much have identical horizontal range :secretkpop: (Well, aside the final hit on Zelda's.)

Along with this, WFT early sour spot can KO at the same percent and does the same damage as Zelda's when all of its hits connect, and LOL do they do that?

They at least balance out comparatively in that way that while WFT is harder to land, Zelda's has damaging/full success issues, lol.

And then I haven't even factored in WFT sweet-spot, which is pretty easy to land if you're land Usmash.

Then there's the roughly 3 frames of complete invincibility on WFT Usmash covering the time between releasing the charge and the first hit-frame, according to @Indigo Jeans.

Yeah, Zelda Usmash is likely less useful than WFT's. :urg: Not that it can't be used! I should say. I still <33333 using it even though it's so much more rigid and limited in use.

Top Bottom