• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

SBphiloz4

Gatekeeper of the Shadows
NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
He exposed me sooooo hard with a customless Palutena, among a handful of other characters. Most were very lop-sided matches. At least I only got 3-stocked once. ccc:

.... ; u ;

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
@ Alacion Alacion , fighting Dawson is like fighting against a robot that knew your mind. Wow, he's incredibly good.

I honestly had my best chances in the first few matches we fought. Then he literally downloaded me like a PDF file. No matter the minor adaptations I did in my game, it only made fighting against him worst. It was incredibly unbelievable that he can just read every almost every single thing I did. The life of a becoming an attempted pro player is harsh indeed. ; w ;
Did you use Zelda? To be fair he knows most of her tricks from when I played him plus he's been playing against my Zelda since his first day of competitive smash. If he used King Dedede, I have no answer for him as Zelda. Wii Fit I have no experience with. But don't worry he wrecks me similarly and I'm always extremely impressed with myself if I can take two stocks.

Yeah he told me about focusing on customless Palutena. Wrecked Landon pretty much every single game with her last night.

SBphiloz4

NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
Well, if I don't use Zelda, I have no other character to use that even has the slightest of chances to beat him. XD

He didn't use Dedede once, but sheesh, still walloped me sooooo bad even with characters he doesn't main. My closest match was honestly like the second match or something, when he didn't download my playstyle yet. Aaaaand then things went extremely downhill from there.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Should talk to him about things he noticed and whatnot. He really is significantly better than everybody else here so I find myself asking him a lot of things.

Btw, we should play sometime. I'm done with exams :)

Rizen

Smash Legend
I can't keep up with this thread.

Greninja's stupid tongue scarf always bugged me. Ik.

I wish the next wave of GCController adapters would come out so I can finally play SSB4.

SBphiloz4

NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
Should talk to him about things he noticed and whatnot. He really is significantly better than everybody else here so I find myself asking him a lot of things.

Btw, we should play sometime. I'm done with exams :)
Yeah, probably should ask him and see what kinda habits I should get rid of, haha.

I still have 3 exams left. I was somewhat free the past few days because the spacing between each exam was okay, but now it's like a triple whammy. 3 exams in 4 days. ; w ;

AFTER THOUGH, MARK THE DATE, AFTER the 16th WE SHALL FIGHT.

SBphiloz4

NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
Of course! But again... after my finals. ; w ;

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
Got my finals next week.

One on Tuesday, two on Friday, and the last one on the following Monday the 22nd.

Kind of wish I could get them over with right now. When do your spring semesters start? Mine's on Jan 20th.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
@ SBphiloz4 SBphiloz4 @ Alacion Alacion could I join you guys? I would like to improve my zelda and lucina
I can play in an hour or so. I'm assuming Wii U? Haven't touched it much since it came out but I plan to grind it out during the break. :)

@ SBphiloz4 SBphiloz4 Gonna see what I can do about visiting Dawson's next week to play. Can carpool if you want.

Last edited:

SBphiloz4

NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
@ SBphiloz4 SBphiloz4 Gonna see what I can do about visiting Dawson's next week to play. Can carpool if you want.
Ooh, that be cool. Depends on my schedule after finals. I still have a few things to do and stuff, but I'll let you know when the time comes.

And thanks Hyrule Bonbon. c:

Hyrule Candy

Smash Journeyman
Well after this yea I have 9th 10th 11th and 12th grade then college

At least I checked off beat wizzzrobe in match on "things to do before I graduate High School"

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
well i might be getting smash wii u tomorrow (crosses fingers) but then i have to grind for customs as everybody...not looking forward to that.

What do u guys think of dins blaze
i wish i could set it and detonate it, then it would be perfect. but its ok i think. like most of the customs, they are OK or mediocre

Last edited:

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Two things I learned tonight.

Palutena's Reflect on overextended recoveries like Shulk's Air Slash is lolworthy.

Also, we should be punishing techs... especially the in place techs. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if Zelda is fast enough for this.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Labbed Zelda hard today. Getting better with the elevator. Literally found myself doing Sheik things with Zelda where I would empty jump around into tomahawks or even the Elevator lol.

In place teching is literally the worst option in all of smash in learning. It's irritating because I do it so much!

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Yeah same here Ed. I'm definitely trying to cut down on that.

Would love to see your Zelda in tourney play :)

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Me too! Would like to see everyone's Zelda in general.

Unfortunately for me, at least for the next two tourneys, I can't make them. 13th is a wedding I must attend and 20th is an Xmas party. Booze!!! Lol. Hopefully I can show up after the wedding and get some action in though.

SBphiloz4

NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
There should be a costume similar to Elizabeth's in Persona 3 for Zelda, especially if we are gonna keep calling FW the Elevator. I'd use that in a heartbeat!
YES PLEASE. SAAAAMEEEE

I have some awful habits of doing lotsa in-place techs, as well as doing normal get-ups from the ledge 95% of the time. Get randomly exposed by a Fsmash or Usmash when I do that. :ccc

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Was watching FOW's stream. Next subscriber character request: Zelda. He responds by "let's finish this stream FOR REAL," and then goes Ness.

The top players know.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Was watching FOW's stream. Next subscriber character request: Zelda. He responds by "let's finish this stream FOR REAL," and then goes Ness.

The top players know.
lol

Edit: also 6 challenges left guize!

Last edited:

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
And I need Roll.

NOT EVERYONE CAN HAVE WHAT THEY WANT.
I also think Roll was awesome <3.

Actually I painted a sketch-portrait of her a while ago. It's not stellar, and it's the Megaman Legends version, but I thought I'd share with you anyways :)

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
Thanks!

The quality of the image is terrible, though. Thanks, Facebook compression.

Hyrule Candy

Smash Journeyman

The top players know.
Someone requested zelda on Nakats stream and he was talking about how he think she's high tier

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
I wonder how many of these players who say Zelda is high tier (or even good) have actually sat down and used her for real?
My guess is none. It's kinda annoying because then you get all these bad players repeating "Zelda is high tier!" and if you try to tell them she's not you're met with the same tired chorus of "frame traps! punishes! Nairo!"

Besides, we all know saying "she's a punish character" is just a different way of saying "she's bad".

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
Labbed Zelda hard today. Getting better with the elevator. Literally found myself doing Sheik things with Zelda where I would empty jump around into tomahawks or even the Elevator lol.

In place teching is literally the worst option in all of smash in learning. It's irritating because I do it so much!
I've always been a jumpy Zelda since brawl, been empty jumping around alot more as Zelda, in general really after I read a thread that talked about shielding and how its better to really just shield/PS when you need to and not all the time because people are more vulnerable when in shield and you don't hit them.

dtilt from an empty jump is like the best thing.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Who needs da frog while zelda can fight a mouse
http://youtu.be/fOuGA00U0HY
Go nairo
Whoa that was so tense to watch. I could literally feel the struggle, as if I myself, was going through it. Props to Nairo for putting up a fight much better than I could ever have. I think Esam's constant pressure might have overwhelmed him a bit. Must admit though that it was nice seeing a Pika user (ranked in FL at that) use the mouse, cause I haven't seen ANYONE using Pikachu yet.

I'm also interested to see how @Nairo feels about the MU so far (though it still may be too early to tell).

-----------------------------------------------------

Analyzing Nairo's playstyle a bit, I observed his approach options, and I noticed several mix ups, including:

- Running, and stopping to shield from a certain distance to see what Esam would do. Esam got a few grabs from this. I noticed Nairo change it up by...

- Running, and then stopping to spot dodge (presumably to avoid getting grabbed or what have you). Then finally there was...

- Running, and then rolling back now and then to mess up Esam's spacing. This was a good mix up, because it forced Esam to reset his situation, and put Nairo at an advantage.

Down tilt was used fairly often as a spacing/pseudo-approach, and honestly, I'm having a hard time seeing how else Zelda will approach, other than the above paragraph, and some tentative grabs/pivot grabs. Like what can she do?

--------------------------------------------------

The Up B out of shield, while risky, is nearly on point from Nairo, so I gotta give him credit for getting that timing down out of shield.

There's more to say, but I'm at work atm, and I'll have to rewatch it to bring up more that I missed, which I may edit in post later in case no one replies yet. I'm also bringing this analysis up because I wanted to discuss with all of you, including Nairo, about Zelda's... well, playstyle. I know there is no 'fixed' way we should always be playing a character, but it feels like in this game, in some ways, it feels inevitable.

Does @Nairo still feel that an overall aggressive playstyle with Zelda is how we should be trying to use her? I'm honestly not sure if he would have done better defensively; he would be missing on many punishes by playing it safe, and sometimes trying to bait and 'over-read' an opponent can lead to your own demise. Or maybe it just feels this way in this game.

Certain strings of guaranteed or near guaranteed combos will be abused by every player who wants to be good at the game. If getting combos out of a throw or uptilt is the way to rack up damage for x character (or get the kill), then expect them to be fishing for that grab or uptilt. You WILL eventually get hit by this, no matter how slippery you play.

I know I'm preaching the choir here, but it really seems like Zelda has to put in a lot more work, arguably more so than Brawl. We don't have a "safe" move to fall back into in case we whiff moves. And since Zelda is slow, whiffing a move is even more terrifying. Air dodging and spot dodging is terrifying. This character seems to be the literal embodiment of risk/reward. You have to rely on hard reads, and be comfortable with your inputs. You have to hope your opponent messes up, and that YOU don't mess up punishing them. And much more.

Now I realize I'm over-analyzing things, when in reality, you're not going to be thinking about every little thing during a match. But from an outer perspective, it's good to be aware of our options, and lack of, in all kinds of situations.

Last edited:

SBphiloz4

NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
Guys, this is our chance to win tourneys now with Zelda when everyone's thinking she's good right now, and before they learn our tricks. SIGN UP TO EVERY TOURNEY NEAR YOUR AREA AND WIN BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE.

My playstyle for Zelda is honestly really similar to that of Nairo, although I play a lot less smart because lol I'm not that good huehue. Running to shield is something I do a lot, but I end up doing that TOO much. People then read me like a book and grab me or wait for the spot dodge and run past me to pivot grab me. ; w ;

Top Bottom