• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
So are Zelda's changes from Brawl just

+ FW can telefrag and actually recover!
+ Dair has a bigger sweetspot (?)
+ Dash attack too strong.
+ Nayru's is fast.
+ Din's can kill but...

- has less range, sourspot is pathetic, and the move is still ultimately a neat party trick at best.
- Slightly slower startup sprinkled randomly.
- Uair no longer too strong.
- Land lag everywhere.
- Utilt "reworked". A nerf taking into account the new garbage usmash.
- Ftilt nerfed.

- Neutered smashes.

= No longer can transform to Sheik, dropping tier position by like 45 places. But at least solo Zelda gets a new move!

Last edited:

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Guys I'm sorry I was wrong.

It turns out I'm just bad and Zelda is actually high tier.

Thank god the randoms of NintendoDojo have helped me see the light.

Phantom is "great".
Din's Fire is "good"

Zeldamazing is top tier.

Mocha go SLAY these Diddy/Sheiks/Rosa's at Apex.
Lol at me being mentioned here when I haven't even gone to a Smash 4 tourney yet, let alone have made any kind of noticeable recognition.

And Fuj, it's AiB. Pls.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
So are Zelda's changes from Brawl just

+ FW can telefrag and actually recover!
+ Dair has a bigger sweetspot (?)
+ Dash attack too strong.
+ Nayru's is fast.
+ Din's can kill but...

- has less range, sourspot is pathetic, and the move is still ultimately a neat party trick at best.
- Slightly slower startup sprinkled randomly.
- Uair no longer too strong.
- Land lag everywhere.
- Utilt "reworked". A nerf taking into account the new garbage usmash.
- Ftilt nerfed.

- Neutered smashes.

= No longer can transform to Sheik, dropping tier position by like 45 places. But at least solo Zelda gets a new move!
Not really.

If you wanna get technical, pretty much every move was changed some from Brawl.

Even Jab has a change in that its loop hit-boxes' farthest out hit-box is an 80 degree angle now, instead of a Sakurai angle.

RANDOM DSMASH CHANGES LIST

Dsmash :
* Both hits have decreased range. The back hit actually got a larger decrease, and does NOT hit as far as the front hit.
* The front hit lost a little KBG, while the back hit GAINED some. Yes, GAINED. This causes both hits to KO at much closer percents, instead of there being a crazy 60% KO difference.
* The animation's duration was changed, and an IASA window was added. It appears to end at roughly the same time as Brawl's though. If only we got the Melee IASA...
* It also received one more startup frame. Super insignificant though. I'm only bitter about it because they gave METAKNIGHT A STININ' FRAME 4 SMASH DARN YOU DEVS. WHY.
* The innermost hit-boxes on her legs have Sakurai angles. It used to be that ALL the hit-boxes hit at 20/160 degrees.
* Her attcking leg appears to have lost its temporary invincibility.

While most of these are pretty abysmal, on the bright side, her arm no longer goes spazzy for a frame during the endlag. :dkmelee:

MrEh

Smash Hero
Also, if you have rumble on, doing any kind of shielding makes the controller vibrate like crazy. Doesn't that throw anyone off? Or maybe just a matter of getting used to?
I play Bowser.

The controller vibrates when I WALK.

SBphiloz4

Gatekeeper of the Shadows
NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
While most of these are pretty abysmal, on the bright side, her arm no longer goes spazzy for a frame during the endlag. :dkmelee:
Of course sassmaster Zelda can't have that spazzy arm going around to ruin her, that's why we need to make the entire move worst in order to make up for it!

.... ; u ;

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
I love the shaking and rumbling when Bowser runs. It's super intimidating.

Last edited:

Alphatron

Smash Champion
I need to play against you guys sometime. But...I can't stand Zelda dittos. The only thing worse is a jigglypuff ditto.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Yeah I'm finding myself not playing very much Zelda... way more fun chars out there.

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
Lol there's a "#phantomrising" ad on this page right now, right after Phantom spam gets mentioned.

And I think the Phantom is better than Din's. It's not as spammable, but it does the things it's supposed to do quite well IMO. Like shielding and edgeguarding.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I do love the Phantom, by the way. It's a cool, fun move.

It's just that a lot of Zelda's moves are laggy, slow... So you can't just act randomly and win.

SBphiloz4

NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
I still play old school, as if I don't have a Down-B, so Din's is still my projectile of choice, despite being AWFUL against like... 2/3 of the cast. I can't seem to make Phantom of good use in my game as of now, so I'll probably have to practice using it a bit more.

Farore's > Nayru's > Phantom > Din's

Xys

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1435-5012-4542
That feeling when you use phantom and phantom runs right past them.... I can only use that move to edge guard.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
Din's: Easy to shield, easy to punish.
Phantom: Reflectable
Farore: punishable, and you are close to the opponent.

It's equally bad.
FW is better! You really can teleport away if you realize in time that you messed up.
And neither Din's nor Phantom can kill Mario at 66%!

Last edited:

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
I love the Phantom. It's an excellent defense against projectile spam, like needles, thunderjolts, all of Link and Tink's projectiles, and the occasional Aura Sphere and Charge Shot. It also screws up a lot of horizontal recoveries, like Ganon's Flame Choke, Fox Illusion, and Spinning Kong. I sometimes use it as a retreating defense as I jump backwards away from the enemy. And sometimes it's just a random mix up option to use on the ground or in the air.

Rion

Smash Journeyman
I almost never ever use Din's now. Even with edgeguards, I always prefer to use Phantom over Din's.

At least Phantom actually has some tricky setups if you're smart with it like tricking opponents into not dodging the 2nd slash of a full charge off stage, or doing some "towards the stage"" Phantom-ing like @Nairo has done. It can also be used as a "wall" every so often to mess up linear vertical recoveries such a Marth's Dolphin Slash, Ganon's Warlock Jump, etc etc...

Farore's is re-deemable in the sense that it's payoff is huge if you land it, and unlike Din's, it can actually be a surprise. For example, Farore-ing into opponents while they're midair (this is a big one), or Farore-ing just to the ledge right as they're about to recover, or Farore-ing into place when they over extend their approach too much. It just requires A LOT of precision and expertise with reading and spacing to pull off, but the risk actually has a great reward.

Din's is like... there is absolutely nothing going for it at all. It's a linear projectile that you can see miles away coming, it's extremely easy to spotdodge because of it's nerfed explosion radius, cannot be cancelled nearly as fast like in Brawl, has a pitiful sour spot, less range, less maneuverability...

Seriously, there is almost absolutely nothing good about Din's Fire. I almost never, ever use it except if I'm like... a full Omega stage length away from my opponent IF they aren't like, Sheik or Sonic or Captain Falcon etc.

So in that regard, at least Farore and Phantom can be smartly used to your advantage, vs Din's which has absolutely nothing going for it whatsoever.

Maybe MAYBE if Din's was lit's Brawl version, it might actually be semi useful. Sort of.

ALSO who wants to play some SMASH! :O

Last edited:

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
Sometimes I think Din's was designed to annoy your opponent rather than damage them. I just use it as a crappy pressure tool, or rarely a short range mixup.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
Yeah I never use Din's for edge guarding unless I feel like the player is the type to mess up the dodge. This is rarely a thing, even on For Glory. Little Mac can't always afford to air dodge (or most I've fought can't anyway) so I sometimes use it on him.

SBphiloz4

NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
I think it's amazing how we like to challenge each other here for matches. Although the majority of the people actually on this thread are Zelda players. Like, totally an extremely useful MU to learn.

Guys, once we know the Zelda vs Zelda MU, we can totally kick butts against other players right? ;))))

Rion

Smash Journeyman
There can only be one Zelda.

ONLY ONE- *The sound of 100 Din's exploding in the background*

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
I like most of Zelda's new sound effects but I hate Din's

Sometimes I think Din's was designed to annoy your opponent rather than damage them. I just use it as a crappy pressure tool, or rarely a short range mixup.
I LOVE doing this to Robin's

its like they have all this super cool magic that puts Zelda to shame but at least we can prevent those ******* from charging Thoron!

Last edited:

SBphiloz4

NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
RIP Din's Fire and Uair sound clips. ; w ;

I actually don't like most of the new sound clips. LOVED THE NAIR IN BRAWL BUT IT'S A BIT DIFFERENT NOW. Sakurai pls, you make a bottom tier character even more bottom tier, AND take away our flashy sparkly sounds with you. (/ . \)

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Quick question. Does Palutena's warp have less endlag than Faore's Wind or am I imagining things?

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
I'm pretty sure it does....and it makes sense, since her Warp travels less distance and has no hitboxes at all.

Oh, and you can ledge cancel with it, too. Sometimes I just mess around by warping back and forth like that, lol.

Top Bottom