• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
I was just looking through the stream of he tourney last night:

http://www.twitch.tv/rushhoursmash/b/617415498 Time stamp 2:42:36 gets you JUST before the Nairo vs Nietono Zelda v Sheik battle.

If you look closely, you can see Nietono look at the select screen after Nairo picks Zelda and it looks like he says "Zelda?" followed by Nairo making a funny face about it. LMAO

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
I remember one time I went to GameStop because I wanted the Diancie but they didn't even have any of the papers with the code out so I couldn't get Diancie and I was too shy to ask the employees, so I just left and felt bad about myself.

/deardiary

edit: Calling Sheik male is a pet peeve of mine. Like, Nintendo has confirmed that Sheik is female multiple times and then there's the fact that Sheik is
ZELDA IN DISGUISE.

Last edited:

Spirst

It was a TV Show that aired in I think 2011. It had visually-appealing dinosaurs (including a made up raptor named the "Slasher") but the human drama was... bad.
Wow, cancelled after the first season. All I really care about are the dinosaurs anyway; none of that human drama BS. I should probably just go watch more documentaries instead. The 'Walking With' series, while fairly old, was quite well-done.

Soul.

Lol I sometimes think Pokémon Wi-Fi is boring. Weren't you able to change the background in Gen 5 Wi-Fi battles? I think it was in Gen 4.
Still though, there's this wonderful thing called Pokémon Showdown. Or Pokémon Online.

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
The Abelisaur hybrid is interesting.

Also, I know you meant Jurassic Park films, but I remember the Disney Dinosaur film having two Carnotaurus dinosaurs as the main antagonists. Looking back on it, the film had eh writing but the graphical prowess was top-notch for it's time.
We... we uh, alright, look. We don't talk about that film around here, man.

Like... what I mean to say is... what are you talking about, I think that movie doesn't exist?

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
Weren't you able to change the background in Gen 5 Wi-Fi battles? I think it was in Gen 4.
Unless I'm really out of the loop, I think it was only possible to change the background through the use of hacks.

tbh i miss the sprites in pokemon :/

Last edited:

Soul.

Unless I'm really out of the loop, I think it was only possible to change the background through the use of hacks.

X/Y made the games even more boring for me. All I did on BW2 after completing it was send "legit" Pokémon to Pokémon Bank and put them to X/Y but at that point of time Smogon didn't have a lot of Pokémon sets so I had to guess.

I don't know if sprites could work on the 3DS.

2004Zilla

Smash Master
NNID
2004Zilla
Wow, cancelled after the first season. All I really care about are the dinosaurs anyway; none of that human drama BS. I should probably just go watch more documentaries instead. The 'Walking With' series, while fairly old, was quite well-done.
Yep, always enjoyed the "Walking With..." series. Planet Dinosaur was also pretty well done.

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
All I did on BW2 after completing it was send "legit" Pokémon to Pokémon Bank and put them to X/Y
This brings back the memories of when i'd ***** myself out on Showdown for shinies. I think I did any 3 pokegenned shinies for 1 5 IV Shiny Kalos pokemon. It was gr8 but also horrible because some people were really rude and I even got scammed one time lol.

I also pokegenned almost every single fully evolved pokemon available in BW2. My dex is at like 400 in OR after importing all my pokemon from Pokemon Bank.

Also, shout out to Showdown for banning Pokegen but allowing cloning.

I miss sprites in general

I'm pretty sure I'll always appreciate sprite-based graphics over 3D models
y r u always correct on everything? r u a wizard or something?

i'll even forgive you for not liking female jellicent.

Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
fahjskdhgkjashldkjgalhskjdlhgjaksdlhkjgalhsjdglhajksdhg
You spelt, I'm a Dino nerd. incorrectly
Luvdisc is legit my fave pokemon
tomorrow it will be something else, along with your main

Well If the 3d models weren't creepy as **** sometimes
I'd post it but mr. mime's 3d model bugs me out
X/Y made the games even more boring for me. All I did on BW2 after completing it was send "legit" Pokémon to Pokémon Bank and put them to X/Y but at that point of time Smogon didn't have a lot of Pokémon sets so I had to guess.

I don't know if sprites could work on the 3DS.
I don't know how it wouldn't sprites are as simple as it gets
mario and Luigi dream team is entirely pixel art last I remember, It looks beautiful too. Only game that looks good in 3d in my opinion

Spirst

Yep, always enjoyed the "Walking With..." series. Planet Dinosaur was also pretty well done.
What I really liked was that it also placed a focus on the Paleozoic Era too. Usually, the popular paleontology media places a focus on the Mesozoic since dinosaurs are all the rage. As someone particularly fascinated with Cambrian/Ordovician biota and the rise of temnosypondyls, Walking With Monsters was great though I wish it was a little longer rather than three episodes.

I've seen some of Planet Dinosaur and enjoyed it so far. Thanks for reminding me that's something I have to finish.

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
What I really liked was that it also placed a focus on the Paleozoic Era too. Usually, the popular paleontology media places a focus on the Mesozoic since dinosaurs are all the rage. As someone particularly fascinated with Cambrian/Ordovician biota and the rise of temnosypondyls, Walking With Monsters was great though I wish it was a little longer rather than three episodes.

I've seen some of Planet Dinosaur and enjoyed it so far. Thanks for reminding me that's something I have to finish.
I haven't seen Planet Dinosaur. I'll give it a watch. Also, you know what other show was pretty good? The one with the 7 deadliest prehistoric seas. That one was bonkers.

Spirst

I haven't seen Planet Dinosaur. I'll give it a watch. Also, you know what other show was pretty good? The one with the 7 deadliest prehistoric seas. That one was bonkers.
Yeah, I saw that one too and liked it a lot. It's an extension of the Walking With series. I love dinosaurs but there's so many other animals/time periods that deserve more attention so it's always nice to see non-dinosaur paleontology stuff.

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I remember one time I went to GameStop because I wanted the Diancie but they didn't even have any of the papers with the code out so I couldn't get Diancie and I was too shy to ask the employees, so I just left and felt bad about myself.

/deardiary

edit: Calling Sheik male is a pet peeve of mine. Like, Nintendo has confirmed that Sheik is female multiple times and then there's the fact that Sheik is
ZELDA IN DISGUISE.
I'm really glad you spoilered that shocking revelation

Soul.

This brings back the memories of when i'd ***** myself out on Showdown for shinies. I think I did any 3 pokegenned shinies for 1 5 IV Shiny Kalos pokemon. It was gr8 but also horrible because some people were really rude and I even got scammed one time lol.

I also pokegenned almost every single fully evolved pokemon available in BW2. My dex is at like 400 in OR after importing all my pokemon from Pokemon Bank.

Also, shout out to Showdown for banning Pokegen but allowing cloning.
The bolded statement makes no sense to me. Why did they ban PokéGen but allow cloning. Cloning is pretty much using Powersaves or something, which is cheating in a way.
---
Oh, yeah, I remember back in 2011 or so I made a team full of Shiny Pokémon in Pokémon Online. Granted, I didn't know how competitive Pokémon worked at the time. Now I do.

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
The bolded statement makes no sense to me. Oh, yeah, I remember back in 2011 or so I made a team full of Shiny Pokémon in Pokémon Online. Granted, I didn't know how competitive Pokémon worked at the time. Now I do.
Showdown makes no sense and doesn't hesitate to contradict itself. There's a reason I haven't visited that in like 8 months.
tbh i have no idea why they did that. imo if they ban one of them, they have to ban the other. cloning is still abusing the system but so many people do it that they can't ban or there would be a riot.

I remember getting into competitive pokemon. I've never been good (I suffer from being unable to read my opponents; it's something that affects me in smash, too), but it's a ton of fun. Roulette battles are my favorite and always do a few with my only pokemon playing friend when he comes over. Great stuff always happens in roulettes, like choice band blissey.

edit: this is kinda unrelated, but a fun counter set for gliscor is pecha berry (or lum) Alakazam with trick and hp ice. if you can predict the switch/somehow get your opponent to not switch out, then the gliscor's poison is cured and he can't (easily) get it back. It'd never work in a practical situation, though.

Last edited:

Soul.

Showdown makes no sense and doesn't hesitate to contradict itself. There's a reason I haven't visited that in like 8 months.
tbh i have no idea why they did that. imo if they ban one of them, they have to ban the other. cloning is still abusing the system but so many people do it that they can't ban or there would be a riot.

I remember getting into competitive pokemon. I've never been good (I suffer from being unable to read my opponents; it's something that affects me in smash, too), but it's a ton of fun. Roulette battles are my favorite and always do a few with my only pokemon playing friend when he comes over. Great stuff always happens in roulettes, like choice band blissey.

edit: this is kinda unrelated, but a fun counter set for gliscor is pecha berry (or lum) Alakazam with trick and hp ice. if you can predict the switch/somehow get your opponent to not switch out, then the gliscor's poison is cured and he can't (easily) get it back. It'd never work in a practical situation, though.
Lol Choice Band Blissey. Are you serious. Specs Blissey is the best. Thunder / Fire Blast / Blizzard / Hyper Beam. It's so godlike.

Well Gliscor is mostly seen as a status absorber with a good Defense stat. Poison Heal helps a lot. There's Defog Gliscor too but eh, you don't see that often. In fact, you don't see Gliscor often because of Landorus-T. I know you said that was a fun set, so yeah.

Since Smash is so many worlds simple compared to Pokémon, I find it easier for me to win in Smash. I steal teams to battle competitively in Pokémon since teambuilding is not my forte. I just feel like doing a battle right away; I'm not there to think which Pokémon should I use.

Cloning = PokéGen. It is as simple as that. Sometimes Smogon makes no sense. Pokémon Online bans stuff first though.... then Smogon does it after they do it.

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
Lol Choice Band Blissey. Are you serious.
It worked out as well as you'd think it would, meaning that STAB choice band Double Edge did like 7% on everything. It was glorious.

Well Gliscor is mostly seen as a status absorber with a good Defense stat. Poison Heal helps a lot. There's Defog Gliscor too but eh, you don't see that often. In fact, you don't see Gliscor often because of Landorus-T. I know you said that was a fun set, so yeah.
So Gliscor is irrelevant now? I haven't played much after they banned like all megas bc smogon is **** now (and always has been, tbh), but I know a ton about 5th gen (not to say I'm clueless about 6th gen, it's just that I haven't done anything competitive since like June of 2014). 5th Gen NU is my favorite metagame ever. I could play that **** forever.

Since Smash is so many worlds simple compared to Pokémon, I find it easier for me to win in Smash. I steal teams to battle competitively in Pokémon since teambuilding is not my forte. I just feel like doing a battle right away; I'm not there to think which Pokémon should I use.
I'd agree with that. At least in smash I don't have to memorize 300-400 (viable) characters and what each can do. I'm also **** at teambuilding but I just put stuff together that I like and hope it works. It's usually bad but I don't care about winning; I just like having fun.

Cloning = PokéGen. It is as simple as that. Sometimes Smogon makes no sense.
Tell Smogon that. Nowadays, they're so ban heavy that it's laughable. At least Mawile fulfilled all of my wishes and finally rose to ubers. I'm so proud of her <3

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
Gengar, Kangaskhan, Mawile, Rayquaza, Lucario, Salamence, and Blaziken have all had their megas banned. I assume more will follow.

Aegislash and Greninja are banned, too.

edit: I just remembered that Mega Lucario was banned for being "too unpredictable." I'm not even kidding.

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Gengar, Kangaskhan, Mawile, Rayquaza, Lucario, Salamence, and Blaziken have all had their megas banned. I assume more will follow.

Aegislash and Greninja are banned, too.
Oh, I thought you meant more had been banned since that.

Gen 6 was my introduction to competitive and I didn't stay with it more than a month after the Mawile ban, but honestly I feel all of it (except maybe Aegislash?) was justified. Aegislash was still a pretty centralizing force, though.

Unless ORAS introduced some new stupid megas/some other Pokes got Greninja-tier dumb from move tutors, I wouldn't expect anything else to be banned.

edit: I just remembered that Mega Lucario was banned for being "too unpredictable." I'm not even kidding.
The fact that he could run special, phys, or even mixed and have the power to OHKO pretty much whatever he wanted after setting up (and even a lot of things without setup) is a pretty legitimate concern. The only things that could deal with both sets (physically bulky Volcarona and Moltres are all that's coming to mind, it's been awhile) couldn't do it if rocks were up, and were overall lackluster Pokemon in the meta anyway.

Last edited:

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
Oh, I thought you meant more had been banned since that.

Gen 6 was my introduction to competitive and I didn't stay with it more than a month after the Mawile ban, but honestly I feel all of it (except maybe Aegislash?) was justified. Aegislash was still a pretty centralizing force, though.

Unless ORAS introduced some new stupid megas/some other Pokes got Greninja-tier dumb from move tutors, I wouldn't expect anything else to be banned.
Mega Lati@s probably have the biggest chance of being banned out of the remaining megas, but I don't think they'll get the ban hammer.

Aegislash was definitely good but I'm not sure about being ban worthy. It was one the easiest pokemon to predict. It'd always be SD>Shadow Sneak/Shadow Ball/ Sacred Sword>King's Shield>repeat steps 2 and 3.

As for move tutors, I think a lot of stuff got Knock Off but idk I'd have to look into it.

The fact that he could run special, phys, or even mixed and have the power to OHKO pretty much whatever he wanted after setting up (and even a lot of things without setup) is a pretty legitimate concern. The only things that could deal with both sets (physically bulky Volcarona and Moltres are all that's coming to mind, it's been awhile) couldn't do it if rocks were up, and were overall lackluster Pokemon in the meta anyway.
I definitely understand why it was banned (adaptability+145/140 offensive stats+two fantastic set up moves+ wide movepool was insane), but I was just poking fun at how ridiculous smogon's phrasing was. :p

Last edited:

SBphiloz4

Gatekeeper of the Shadows
NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
RIP Gliscor, because it's outclassed as a physical wall to Landourus-T. That's why it's a special tank now. Things sure change...

Pretty much when ORAS came along, you get a Knock Off, you get a Knock Off, EVERYONE GETS A KNOCK OFF.

So like Knock Off is standard on pretty much everyone.

LOL GRENINJA'S GUNK SHOT WAS TOO STRONK FOR THE METAGAME.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Mega Lati@s probably have the biggest chance of being banned out of the remaining megas, but I don't think they'll get the ban hammer.

Aegislash was definitely good but I'm not sure about being ban worthy. It was one the easiest pokemon to predict. It'd always be SD>Shadow Sneak/Shadow Ball/ Sacred Sword>King's Shield>repeat steps 2 and 3.

As for move tutors, I think a lot of stuff got Knock Off but idk I'd have to look into it.
Oh. Idk anything about Mega Latis.

Aegis didn't have to use King's Shield. Most of the time I ran an Aegis I ran max atk+spatk Quiet with shadow ball/flash cannon/sacred sword/shadow sneak while my opponents tried to play around a King's Shield that I wasn't even running. The other very legitimate issue being that EQ - the best option to deal with it for a lot of pokes - was a risky move to throw out and a terrible move to be choice locked into in a meta where very often you'd get half of the opposing team either levitating or flying. Not to say anything of the other potential sets it could utilize with moves such as Pursuit or HP Ice.

I will go on record as saying it's the only ban I found questionable so far this gen, though. It kept a lot of things in check, it really just came down to "do we like it being here" and the answer ended up being no.

Top Bottom