• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
Uh so gorls I doubt you noticed but
Only a week after Scizor and they're revealing the next one? Wii U DLC characters may come sooner than we thought :0
It better be Empoleon I s2g I wanna see my next main

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
I've actually considered trying out Tekken at some point. I'd be terrible at it though, lol
I've never played a traditional fighter

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
It would be kind of interesting if they popped a gen VII poke into Pokken. Like, one of the starters or Bewear or Silvally (I'd more lean toward the expectation of a bipedal or like-bipedal poke)

Or Mawile, but, y'know...

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
TIL Junkrat is 6'5" for comparison i am taller than most people I meet at only 6'2".
Why the hey is Trash Baby so tall

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
but you would accept cake from Akuma wearing leather straps and short shorts?

Fighter Jet Penguin > Disco Ninja Frog
My mom warned me about things like that.

TIL Junkrat is 6'5" for comparison i am taller than most people I meet at only 6'2".
Why the hey is Trash Baby so tall
So it's easier to see his abs at average eye level and also so he can be shipped with all the smols of the game by default. Such as Lucio or Mei.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I'm going to quickly post my thoughts on the new Pokymanz trailer.

- Decidueye looks a lot better than I thought it would based off that concept art leak. Ghost typing is a nice surprise. I'm definitely sold on Team Rowlet now.

- Say what you will about Incineroar, but that Pokemon has some personality to it. I actually wasn't surprised by the dark typing, I already figured they wouldn't pull out another fire/fighting type after the fan outlash at Emboar.

- Primaria's okay, I guess. It's good to have another fairy for compeitive play. That signature move though...it better have high base power or something, or it's getting the bench for Scald or Hydro Pump.

- Tapu Lele and Bulu are kind of disappointments after Tapu Koko was so cool. Tapu Fini is alright though.

- I love that Z-move though.

- Cosmog's reveal was kind of random. After the starters and legendaries, it's kind of easy to forget that it was part of the reveal.

- Alolan Persian is alright I guess. I still prefer the original.

- I like the idea of the Battle Tree. Is it going to be the main focus of the post game, like the Battle Frontier was?

- "What do you say, Red?"
"... ... ..."

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I guess considering how much overexposure Greninja already gets Namco is going out of their way to not add the frog to Pokkén.

All things considered, it's fair enough.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Super late replies because... eh...
Mila is super fun, yeah.

3D definitely lacks in the visual impact compared to some good 2D sprites. But while the impact of the hit may be less so, at least in DoA if the attack looks like it should hit, it hits. God knows I can't say that about SFV.

The DLC is absolutely outrageous, yeah, but the insane "pay through the nose for basically nothing" is pretty normal for Koei Tecmo.

Really goes to show how much Nintendo's influence / patronage means that Hyrule Warriors ended up with DLC that had so much value per buck.
3D fighters and 3D modeled fighting games can have impact like Tekken, a 3D fighter, and KoF XIV and SFV, 2D fighters using 3D models, all have that feel of hits look and feel like painful hits. Smash is a no-brainer since it's knockback-focused and Guilty Gear Xrd is a special case since it's using 3D models, but is done in a way to emulate 2D. Some games kind of don't have that like Mortal Kombat and by proxy, Injustice, looks like a slapfight at times. This is pretty much all down to presentation and not MK and Injustice are trying to be a bit realistic like MMA fighting games since not all hits should send you flying or reeling that hard. It's like when you watch old martial arts films like Drunken Master, you can see and hear the impact even if it's not that hard like quick strikes still have a feeling of that's going to hurt.

This video is about film, an analysis of Jackie Chan's action comedy, but some of it applies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1PCtIaM_GQ.

That being said, none of this should detract someone from playing a game. None of this makes games bad i.e. Mortal Kombat not having the impact of Tekken, SFV, etc., doesn't make it a bad game (to me). Personally, I just like the feel of impact. It's what makes me like Battlefield, DMC, KoF, SFV, etc. more than God of War, Mortal Kombat, etc., because of the impact whether it's aural and visual or one or the other like Battlefield's sound design is booming compared to Call of Duty -- not sure on the new games. It's idiosyncratic too e.g. I like one gun more in BF just because it sounds better than the other even if the other is technically better. Shotguns. I will use a shotgun on a long-range map just because I can and because it sounds awesome. There are extreme cases, though, where it can make games bad like too little impact leading to too little hit stun. I think it was Technomancer that had this problem from what I saw and heard a player say where not only did hits look weak regardless of what they were, but they were weak, so combat was just terrible.

Jittery movement in Tekken is weird. Game looks great and then you see characters spazzing out. Sure... that's normal which it is, but I wished there was smoother transitions. Oh, and some idle animations like Steve's could be changed a bit... Please, Steve, slow down. I know head movement is good and all, but slow down.

Yeah, keyboard isn't great for DOA and I'd assume that's the case for other 3D fighters. With enough usage, it becomes doable though. I use it to play Hayate and Ayane just fine, but it hurts not being able to do Izuna drops as a Hayabusa main. I managed to get the Gamecube controller to work with the Mayflash adapter in DOA and it's pretty good as a controller.

The stripped features from the console versions really do suck. I mainly use throwdowns to play online along with the occasional ranked match.

I agree that the DLC's pretty ridiculously priced. I've only bought one costume (Hayabusa's "legacy" costume in DOA5 Ultimate when it wasn't free) and haven't bought any characters, though I'm considering Mai.

I find 2D fighter movement awkward myself haha. Probably because DOA3 was my first fighting game. I just can't figure out Street Fighter, Skullgirls or Blazblue. Soulcalibur and Virtua Fighter feel decently natural for me.

Issues with the PC version aside, DOA5 Last Round's gameplay is really mechanically sound and fun imo. I suggest that everyone try it now that the free to play version is available.
Yeah, I was able to get diagonal inputs, but not sure on diagonally down movements since that's crouch dash or walk... As for Izuna Drops, meanwhile, in Ninja Gaiden where they're the bread and butter combo since it's safe, damaging, and easy. That and on-landing Ultimate Techniques. I haven't checked out Ryu, so I don't know what the inputs would be in DoA. Anyway, I do like keyboard controls a bit more than gamepads for fighters since it's nice to just have all your fingers on all the buttons without having to resort to a claw grip or something. It's just that keyboards aren't that great for movement since inputs are digital and not analog.

2D movement is pretty linear, though... My first fighting game would be Smash 64. First 3D fighting game was Soul Calibur 2 on the GCN. GCN controller for (3D) fighting games... eh... The one great thing about GCN controllers is the analog stick has gates; it's octagonal. Neither the PS or Xbox controllers have gates -- they're just circles -- which can be an issue. I remember trying to do inputs with the PS3's analog stick for UMvC3 and it was weird not knowing where exactly the direction was. It doesn't help that the Dualshock 3's sticks aren't stiff. They're not loose, but they're not stiff compared to the Dualshock 4. Thing just rolls. I would rather go arcade stick for the stick and wanting to use an arcade stick since I didn't grow up going to arcades.

It's just a shame how DoA5LR was handled on PC... I want to see a DoA6 on PC just because it can be and despite DoA5LR's issues, it works; the game runs (as a port) without any real issues or needs. The only problem is support which if they handled it so much better, could have made PC DoA a thing, a threat, and not just it's there, go check out Tekken 7 instead. It sucks since it is a sound game that has terrible support compared to a bad game -- I mean seriously bad and not it could be better -- or a bad port which even with good support, might not be enough since there's only so much developers can do to fix it while knowing they have other projects and the publishers looming over them.

Eh, on the topic of fighters. KoF XIV's Nelson's looking real cool to me. Interesting thing is that he, like Angel, only has 2 specials: a command dash and a command throw, and none of them are actual hits. Everything else he does is through normals. At this rate, especially if Vanessa ends up as DLC, I could end up maining a team of only boxers. Technically counting characters like Joe and King who could be considered as Thai boxers instead of Muay Thai fighters -- means the same thing, really. Well, there's Iori, Luong, and Terry to stop that from happening. :p

Oh, and someone did an 8-bit cover of many of the tracks in KoF XIV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYEsbegH8t8. It's really cool.

Not late reply.
Is it bad that I immediately interpreted S/M as sadism and masochism

Other stuff: Square Enix released some news. Final Fantasy XV is golden and we can play as Gladiolus, Ignis, and Prompto... as DLC focusing on them and online co-op. Gee, I wonder what happened to playing as them normally? Oh, wait, that was scrapped because they wanted to focus on Noctis. Come on, man! Even if they can't teleport like Noctis, it would still be cool to just play as them in combat. Final Fantasy XIII didn't let you switch party members in combat or switch leaderes in certain chapters, but it still allowed you to do so at like chapter 10. Oh well...

Kingdom Hearts HD collections are coming to PS4 -- no surprise there --, HD 2.8's intro was released -- poor Aqua ;_; --, and III had 2 of its Drive forms teased: Power and Guard. Also, Sora's going to be free DLC for World of Final Fantasy.

Last edited:

Lord Renning

Smash Journeyman
You can be uncomfortable with people saying things like "Capcom tried selling a half finished game for $60" or "They alienated the casual market by catering exclusively to the competitive", or even "They put selling their fledging esports League to investors over making an adequate game for their consumer base", but that doesn't make it any less true or relevant to why Capcom failed / is failing to move units over the last 8 months.

It's also validation against what a lot of people demand should happen with Smash (SFV being a perfect case example that catering exclusively to the competitive scene does negatively effect the casual scene, being one of the bigger ones) or who have very little idea of how esports (or sports in general) work.
SFV actually looks like it has a good core system mechanically, and I don't mind them catering to their competitive market. It's the "exclusively," that makes it bad, and I don't think 99% of the Smash playerbase wants Smash to be Competitive Only. (99% do want their main to be overpowered.) Being half a game with bad netcode is inexcusable, and just reeks of poor decision making. It feels more like they sold out their game and franchise for a cash grab by not letting their programmers finish it, for motivations that had more to do with the entitlement of throwing around their corporate weight than anything else.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
SFV actually looks like it has a good core system mechanically, and I don't mind them catering to their competitive market. It's the "exclusively," that makes it bad, and I don't think 99% of the Smash playerbase wants Smash to be Competitive Only. (99% do want their main to be overpowered.) Being half a game with bad netcode is inexcusable, and just reeks of poor decision making. It feels more like they sold out their game and franchise for a cash grab by not letting their programmers finish it, for motivations that had more to do with the entitlement of throwing around their corporate weight than anything else.
It's Capcom. Idiot upper management and -- biased opinion -- great all-around developers. Those do not go well together at all for any company.

Pretty much all of Capcom's games are not really "bad". They're not horrible in a sense of literally or figuratively unplayable, but usually good, at worst decent core gameplay that is lacking in some way and their ports usually aren't terrible, especially recent ones where you would expect their old games like DMC4 and Dragon's Dogma, to get +100 FPS on decent machines -- freaking Unreal Engine 3-based DmC manages that. I don't know. This is the company we're talking about that was responsible for games like Ace Attorney, Darkstalkers, Devil May Cry, Godhand, Lost Planet (1), Mega Man, Monster Hunter, Okami, Resident Evil, Sengoku Basara, Street Fighter, Viewtiful Joe, and not theirs, but co-developed for: the Oracle of Ages and Seasons and Minish Cap Zelda games. The people who left them? They ended up making, themselves or co-developed, games like Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, The Wonderful 101, Transformers: Devastation -- actually a good game like the Armada, War for Cybertron, and Fall of Cybertron games, check them out --, Vanquish, and yes, criticized a lot, but Mighty No. 9. They're good developers. It's just upper management are idiots. You can say the same for Konami and all their studios, Microsoft and Rare, well, the original employees of Rare, and plenty more. Seriously, why the hell are Sony and MS trying to aim for 4K gaming when many of PS4 and Xbox One games aren't even running at 60FPS or at the very least stable 30FPS? Upscaled or native resolution, I don't care, but good performance should be a given in this day and age.

Last edited:

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
So gorls, about Pokeheaux Sun/Moon! Which version is everyone planning to buy? I might get both if the game is really good and has a lot of stuff (guy/gal files ofc). But I'm initially leaning towards Sun, even though I like Moon's legendary better.

Also Toys R Us seems to be selling it for 31.99 for some reason (at least for me in New Jersey). But that means I'd have to order it and quite frankly I'd rather just get it the day it comes out instead of waiting a week just to save 9 dollars.

As for the starters, I can't say I hate them. I feel like I'm going to have trouble picking just 1. Though the grass one might be out of the equation since there's 2 sass-master grass types available in the game.

Last edited:

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
I honestly don't know which to get. I'm not biased towards either cover legendary and the alternate forms for some of the Pokemon are just meh to me. The time mechanic is interesting though. I usually play games at night so if I bought Moon my gameplay would mostly be daytime, and vice versa for Sun

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
Morning girls. How's everyone doing? :4zelda:

Going to check through next week's assessment to see what I have to do and I'll be writing some reflections on my previous work over the past four weeks.

I'll need to check out that new Monster Hunter trailer as well. Jet Engine Dragon? Sign me up!

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
So gorls, about Pokeheaux Sun/Moon! Which version is everyone planning to buy? I might get both if the game is really good and has a lot of stuff (guy/gal files ofc). But I'm initially leaning towards Sun, even though I like Moon's legendary better.

Also Toys R Us seems to be selling it for 31.99 for some reason (at least for me in New Jersey). But that means I'd have to order it and quite frankly I'd rather just get it the day it comes out instead of waiting a week just to save 9 dollars.

As for the starters, I can't say I hate them. I feel like I'm going to have trouble picking just 1. Though the grass one might be out of the equation since there's 2 sass-master grass types available in the game.
I already preordered Sun :3 can't wait
I'm definitely picking Popplio, then picking Litten on my repeat playthrough

RosalinA

Smash Ace
Battlefield. These stadiums are really homey.
NNID
EthanDL
3DS FC
3093-7662-4641
I've always been a Water type Starter except in Gen 2.

I've gone Squirtle, Cyndaquil, Mudkip, Piplup, Oshawott, Froakie and now I'll go Popplio.
've had a patter with mine:
Charizard, Feraligatr, Sceptile, Infernape, Sammurot, and Chesnaughty. I've had 2 types of starters in the same order, but I don't think I'll be sticking with tradition.

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
I'm definitely getting Moon because Lunala>>>Solgaleo

I'll probably choose Rowlet, but idk if I'll actually keep it on my team. As for the rest of my team, I want to use Alolan Persian, big Jangmo-o, and maybe Comfey and Cosmog. Idk who else I want to use

Last edited:

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
Incineroar is Fire/Dark anyway, not Fire/Fighting.
Most people hate them still because they stand on two legs and generally look like a fighting type
Which is dumb because Incineroar is a ****in treasure and I love them

People who love Litten but hate Incineroar, or hate Popplio and love Primarina, are unworthy of trust

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Finally done with midterms! Think I did well on all of them.

All the Pokemon Sun and Moon final evos look great in motion! I think I'm still going with Popplio because of Primarina's majestic beauty and cute factor, but on a second playthrough, I'll likely go with Rowlet for Decidueye or Litten for...Litten.
Decidueye is easily one of my favorite pokemon now.

I don't know if it's my favorite starter since scpetile is pretty cool, but damn is he cool!

:150:
I'm so conflicted on whether I like Sceptile, Decidueye or Serperior most out of the Grass starters. I really hope that one of them comes to Smash Bros.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
I've picked grass every gen so far and it doesn't look like that's going to change.

This is the first time since gen 3 that I've liked all three starters though. Incineroar grew on me fast when I saw it in motion.

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
I don't have midterms but I "coincidentally" had 3 tests yesterday so let's just say I took them and did welell.

Last edited:

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
I'm definitely getting Moon because Lunala>>>Solgaleo

I'll probably choose Rowlet, but idk if I'll actually keep it on my team. As for the rest of my team, I want to use Alolan Persian, big Jangmo-o, and maybe Comfey and Cosmog. Idk who else I want to use
Yew could always give me your rejected starter and that way I can have two of the three of them :3

Also I was really happy to see them have the Primarina "standing+hair-out" animation/pose for attacks that was seen in the original drawing leaks. One of several nice touches these starters have. Same with Incineriar's idle pose.

McKnightlíght

Getting back into the dunk game
NNID
EvanMcKnight
3DS FC
4399-0018-3572
've had a patter with mine:
Charizard, Feraligatr, Sceptile, Infernape, Sammurot, and Chesnaughty. I've had 2 types of starters in the same order, but I don't think I'll be sticking with tradition.
I did the same thing only I went grass/fire/water

You're the only one I know who has done it too.

Yew could always give me your rejected starter and that way I can have two of the three of them :3

Also I was really happy to see them have the Primarina "standing+hair-out" animation/pose for attacks that was seen in the original drawing leaks. One of several nice touches these starters have. Same with Incineriar's idle pose.
Hey I called dibs though :^(

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Believe it or not, I actually picked Bulbasaur as my starter, and that's where my loyalty still lies to this day. Yeah yeah it classes with my schtick here, but I'm still pretty obsessed with Zard when it comes to smash bros.

In most gens since I have had a tendency to favor grass types, and it looks like it's happening again.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Believe it or not, I actually picked Bulbasaur as my starter, and that's where my loyalty still lies to this day. Yeah yeah it classes with my schtick here, but I'm still pretty obsessed with Zard when it comes to smash bros.

In most gens since I have had a tendency to favor grass types, and it looks like it's happening again.
Bulb is the only gen 1 starter who looks huggable.

Top Bottom