• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Granblue musings: Having a turn-based RPG use turn count for player status duration/skill cooldown but real time or damage thresholds for enemy status/skills is an interesting dynamic. Rushing to cram as many turns in as you can during a defense debuff while spending as little time healing - or thinking about who to spend precious resources on - as possible puts a fun and unique spin on the standard Final Fantasy formula, and adds a lot of depth to an otherwise-simplified battle system.

Snow sucks, but it's better than mosquitoes and >80F temperatures. I'll trade our snow piles for rain gladly.

Cenizas

The Zelda We Need, But Not the One We Deserve
3DS FC
1032-1809-6196
Granblue musings: Having a turn-based RPG use turn count for player status duration/skill cooldown but real time or damage thresholds for enemy status/skills is an interesting dynamic. Rushing to cram as many turns in as you can during a defense debuff while spending as little time healing - or thinking about who to spend precious resources on - as possible puts a fun and unique spin on the standard Final Fantasy formula, and adds a lot of depth to an otherwise-simplified battle system.

Snow sucks, but it's better than mosquitoes and >80F temperatures. I'll trade our snow piles for rain gladly.
And who got you sponsered? :secretkpop:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Bravely Default does this with special moves (basically limit breaks). You get the buffs/debuffs as long as the character's theme music is playing. It is a fun mechanic.

I want BD2... Also, the new multiplayer ff game looks really cool.
Dunno, sometimes I'd trade snow and sun for the gloomy gray skies that accompany rain.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
I didn't know about this. Maybe I'll have to check out Bravely Default after all.
Play the demo. See if you like it.

Special moves also get customized to have additional buffs/elements/debuffs. And you can chain them so the buffs/debuffs last longer.

But remember, ninjas are OP and black magic sucks.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
nevermind I'm not checking it out
At least, I haven't gotten it to work where it is the focus of my team. It's not terrible, but there's so much better ways to do damage while not becoming a piece of glass in terms of defense.

I'm actually trying to make a team focused on it, but I have to grind a different class first.

You mean Bravely Second?

Ew no the demo sucked.
Yes. I 100%'d the demo. I don't mind grinding too much if it means I get to make cool teams.

Koiba

코이바 ❤
NNID
SprinkledKittens
3DS FC
4055-7129-2437
So I decided to take a quick look at the Rosalina boards and this is what I see

This can be useful one day lol

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
So, I found this weird bug(?) with Peach. I honestly don't know it happened.

Basically, I've been only pulling up stitchface and smilyface.
Sounds like a secret balancing patch to make her projectiles worth harassing with/actually scary. You know. The thing they're supposed to do.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I read Abadango's little thing on secondaries (the translation.) I'm a bit mixed.

On one hand, I definitely agree that solo maining is more EFFICIENT. On the other hand, if you're doing something like maining Mario and running Dr. Mario as a secondary, I think (in this instance and a few others) that a lot of things can carry over despite the characters not having an overall similar playstyle. Just things like spacing, reactionary frame data, the like. I'm not sure if solo maining or having like, 1-2 secondaries is better than the other strictly. After all, having a secondary is exactly what Nairo did to win MLG, one shouldn't forget! It was his first like, real big win over ESam to boot. Just important stuff I pulled from it, I guess.

It's a very interesting read for sure, but I think having strong secondaries is something I will always do in games like this. It certainly takes more time but it's time I'm willing to put in to both better my habits and learn more about the game and its cast.

They're always finding new horizons of creepiness for Rosaluma fan art.
Amen. What in the HELL is that? I mean, I peeked in there the other day and they were talking about her...lips for some reason, but what in the world...?

Last edited:

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
I read Abadango's little thing on secondaries (the translation.) I'm a bit mixed.

On one hand, I definitely agree that solo maining is more EFFICIENT. On the other hand, if you're doing something like maining Mario and running Dr. Mario as a secondary, I think (in this instance and a few others) that a lot of things can carry over despite the characters not having an overall similar playstyle. Just things like spacing, reactionary frame data, the like. I'm not sure if solo maining or having like, 1-2 secondaries is better than the other strictly. After all, having a secondary is exactly what Nairo did to win MLG, one shouldn't forget! It was his first like, real big win over ESam to boot. Just important stuff I pulled from it, I guess.

It's a very interesting read for sure, but I think having strong secondaries is something I will always do in games like this. It certainly takes more time but it's time I'm willing to put in to both better my habits and learn more about the game and its cast.
I like having secondaries a lot from both a competitive and casual standpoint. No matter how much I love a character, my attention span simply does not allow me to be satisfied by solely focusing on him or her. It is more fun for me to play multiple characters, so I do so. It does make it so that there's less time to lab to perfect each character, but knowing that there's always going to be something new to learn with another character excites me and motivates me.

Competitively, having secondaries is obviously helpful for counterpicks, but you can also get extra matchup knowledge when you have to face someone who uses (one of) your secondar(y/ies) since you know that/those character(s) well. It also gives you freedom to take a break when you're having an off day with your main or something. I also disagree with Abadango that secondaries detract from hype. It can if that secondary is boring to watch his/herself, but otherwise, I think seeing multiple characters showcased from one player adds to the hype a bit if anything.

That said, I agree that solo maining a character is probably the most efficient method since it allows you to really hone in on a character and push him/her/it to the limit. Having secondaries doesn't detract much though imo and it can really benefit some players.

I'm also kind of biased with this since I have 3-5 characters that I would consider secondaries + a bunch of other pocket characters. I lack the discipline to solo main lol. My character roster probably looks something like this atm:

Main: :4greninja:
Secondaries: :4zelda::4yoshi::4pikachu:(:4drmario::4sheik:)
Stronger Pockets (Tertiaries?): (:4drmario::4sheik:):4charizard::4mewtwo::4sonic::4falco:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
My thing is I enjoy broadening my scope and understanding of the metagame through multiple perspectives. Being good with Doc helped my Mario fundamentally achieve better, and vice versa in some cases.

I think it's just really helpful if you know how to handle multiple characters and can do it really well.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Just play Sheik.
We can do Balanced Sheik dittos when we eventually play if you want bb~.

Just pick all the worst customs and watch how terrible it actually is. Based Abyss with its teleport path YOU CAN SEE. That one crappy Bouncing Fish that sends people BEHIND Sheik. Skimming Grenade (lol). And of course....paralyzing needle. I think that's the worst N.B? I can't recall.

It's the best way to Sheik ditto.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
I'm still new to this whole Undertale fandom thing okay ;-;

Besides my favorite is goat dad

Mettaton is fab though.
Asgore is really cool too, I like his character a lot, really easy to empathize and understand. But Mettaton is the absolute best boss fight and the best character (OBVIOUSLY).

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Abadango's little thing on secondaries
"You become weak to counterpicks and double-blind picks" and ""Easy" counterpicks do not exist" are probably the two main things I agree with against bothering with a secondary. Won't elaborate too much because it has to do more with what I've talked to people about/observed, but if you aren't like, super invested in your pocket character you're probably better off learning bad matchups with your main anyway, and if your secondary can get counterpicked by your opponent's secondary you might end up in a matchup you're even less comfortable in than whatever you were trying to counterpick in the first place.

That said, that latter scenario works both ways, and if you're equally invested in two characters it does force your opponent to have to adapt to two different characters. I also think it both boils down to what characters you're interested in playing and your own preferences as a player as to whether or not solo maining or having secondaries is the better pick, so it's always going to be on an individual basis rather than being a black and white sort of deal.

also goatmom is best undertale

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
"You become weak to counterpicks and double-blind picks" and ""Easy" counterpicks do not exist" are probably the two main things I agree with against bothering with a secondary. Won't elaborate too much because it has to do more with what I've talked to people about/observed, but if you aren't like, super invested in your pocket character you're probably better off learning bad matchups with your main anyway, and if your secondary can get counterpicked by your opponent's secondary you might end up in a matchup you're even less comfortable in than whatever you were trying to counterpick in the first place.

That said, that latter scenario works both ways, and if you're equally invested in two characters it does force your opponent to have to adapt to two different characters. I also think it both boils down to what characters you're interested in playing and your own preferences as a player as to whether or not solo maining or having secondaries is the better pick, so it's always going to be on an individual basis rather than being a black and white sort of deal.

So basically what I said then = ). Glad we're on the same base!

The tl;dr is it all depends on like player comfort. For instance, I play a lot of Ryu (workin on it, workin on it) but I still go in on Doc because I played him since Day 1 so I know a lot about him, for instance. I mean, I never NEED him but I'm invested and I enjoy using him so....yeah. And yes I do plan on going to tournaments, as soon as I can move to a place with a real scene I'll be able to do more than play with individual players. REAL EXPERIENCE WOO

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Asgore is really cool too, I like his character a lot, really easy to empathize and understand. But Mettaton is the absolute best boss fight and the best character (OBVIOUSLY).
It's funny but my favorite boss battles were against the less relevant bosses, aka, the Dummy and Muffet.

Of the main cast I think Papyrus and Mettaton had my favorite battles, Undyne's was probably my least favorite.

I'm probably one of the few people who doesn't really like Toriel all that much, I mean, I can understand why she's upset but I still think she's was really unnecessarily harsh on Asgore.

I still ship them though.

McKnightlíght

Getting back into the dunk game
NNID
EvanMcKnight
3DS FC
4399-0018-3572
It's funny but my favorite boss battles were against the less relevant bosses, aka, the Dummy and Muffet.

Of the main cast I think Papyrus and Mettaton had my favorite battles, Undyne's was probably my least favorite.

I'm probably one of the few people who doesn't really like Toriel all that much, I mean, I can understand why she's upset but I still think she's was really unnecessarily harsh on Asgore.

I still ship them though.
You ship a married couple?

FIEND

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
The tl;dr is it all depends on like player comfort. For instance, I play a lot of Ryu (workin on it, workin on it) but I still go in on Doc because I played him since Day 1 so I know a lot about him, for instance. I mean, I never NEED him but I'm invested and I enjoy using him so....yeah.
Yeah, that's mainly what I wanted to get at. In contrast, I can't play other characters seriously because I'm mentally hard-wired to Rosalina's movement specs, Rosalina's buttons, Rosalina's physics, etc. It shows when I play Meta Knight and just whiff absolutely everything because of the range difference, or play Palutena and constantly overestimate how far she'll travel when she dash attacks/grabs or try to dtilt/dsmash like it'll be a low-commitment quick-starting get-off-me attack, the list goes on. When I used to co-main Dedede and Greninja I couldn't switch between them at all because once I started playing a session with one I couldn't switch to the other's playstyle either. Having a secondary just isn't something I'll ever be comfortable with.

I still enjoy messing around with :4palutena: :4lucario::4metaknight::4greninja::4dedede: in friendlies though, and I lab with every character both to understand how they work and to better understand the game in general, because that's ultimately what I enjoy about Smash most; learning all the little quirks and nuances of the game.

And yes I do plan on going to tournaments, as soon as I can move to a place with a real scene I'll be able to do more than play with individual players. REAL EXPERIENCE WOO
I kept telling myself I should go out and play in a tournament at some point, but I've been feeling less and less motivated toward it lately. I still identify bad habits that I never break and I autopilot so hard when I play the game, I feel like I deserve to lose against anyone that knows how to play the game and just get away with wins against people that don't know matchups and don't know how to adapt (supporting evidence: I still have my highest win rate with Dedede, king of abusing WiFi and an absence of matchup knowledge).

I guess basically I'm self-defeating because I already know what things I do wrong so I don't feel like I'll learn anything and I've still yet to break bad habits I've identified which seems like a thing I should do before I try playing in anything seriously so...

...on the other hand, #1 on Minnesota's PR is a Ganondorf.

Mr. ShinyUmbreon

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0576-7060-3860
I kept telling myself I should go out and play in a tournament at some point, but I've been feeling less and less motivated toward it lately. I still identify bad habits that I never break and I autopilot so hard when I play the game,
I always have the most enjoyment playing competitive smash at offline tourneys. I would recommend playing good players and having them tell you what the did wrong. Never let yourself go on autopilot, it's a choice, not a habit. You just have to focus. Get in your zone.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Yeah, that's mainly what I wanted to get at. In contrast, I can't play other characters seriously because I'm mentally hard-wired to Rosalina's movement specs, Rosalina's buttons, Rosalina's physics, etc. It shows when I play Meta Knight and just whiff absolutely everything because of the range difference, or play Palutena and constantly overestimate how far she'll travel when she dash attacks/grabs or try to dtilt/dsmash like it'll be a low-commitment quick-starting get-off-me attack, the list goes on. When I used to co-main Dedede and Greninja I couldn't switch between them at all because once I started playing a session with one I couldn't switch to the other's playstyle either. Having a secondary just isn't something I'll ever be comfortable with.

I still enjoy messing around with :4palutena: :4lucario::4metaknight::4greninja::4dedede: in friendlies though, and I lab with every character both to understand how they work and to better understand the game in general, because that's ultimately what I enjoy about Smash most; learning all the little quirks and nuances of the game.

I kept telling myself I should go out and play in a tournament at some point, but I've been feeling less and less motivated toward it lately. I still identify bad habits that I never break and I autopilot so hard when I play the game, I feel like I deserve to lose against anyone that knows how to play the game and just get away with wins against people that don't know matchups and don't know how to adapt (supporting evidence: I still have my highest win rate with Dedede, king of abusing WiFi and an absence of matchup knowledge).

I guess basically I'm self-defeating because I already know what things I do wrong so I don't feel like I'll learn anything and I've still yet to break bad habits I've identified which seems like a thing I should do before I try playing in anything seriously so...

King DeDeDe. DDD. Disconnect, Discomfort, Destruction. All on WiFi only of course.

In all seriousness I love seeing players hard-wired to characters, I think that's really cool! Player diversity = dabes

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I
Besides my favorite is goat dad
I think my absolutely favorite thing about Asgore is that, despite all the buildup he had, he's more or less a male Toriel with a bit more comedy relief.
It really hammers home all the terrible things that he did/ had happen to him imo

Last edited:

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
Sounds like a secret balancing patch to make her projectiles worth harassing with/actually scary. You know. The thing they're supposed to do.
Yeah, if I can recreate it, I'll most definitely will abuse it.
They're always finding new horizons of creepiness for Rosaluma fan art.
The horrors of image searching with safe search off. *shudders*

Last edited:
Top Bottom