• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Removal of religious references (in a Xeno game? For ****ing real?), BLADE acronym definition change (which wrecks the theme of the game), removal of bust slider, Lin's age/bikini changed, all unacceptable. No reason to touch any of them.

I'm not sure who to blame here, our societal puritanical fascism or Nintendo.
Only one I think is kinda negligible is bust slider. Not really defining nor worth concerning about. Not that I wanted it gone or would want it gone (I don't do ARPGs but if I did it wouldn't bother me) but the only one that strikes me as odd is the removal of religious references.

We have THE BINDING OF ISAAC on 3DS Eshop! It's strange.

That being said I feel like people blow this stuff out of proportion a lot and I wonder why. I miss when we used to just play games.... ;_;.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Good to be free.

Just learned about all of Xenoblade X's censorship.

Removal of religious references (in a Xeno game? For ****ing real?), BLADE acronym definition change (which wrecks the theme of the game), removal of bust slider, Lin's age/bikini changed, all unacceptable. No reason to touch any of them.

I have no background for the Xeno series, nor am I really aware of Xenoblade X's plot, themes, or story. So I'm probably not fully qualified to say much of what I'm about to say. Feel free to enlighten me about some of the more specific themes they removed/altered.

But I think a big deal as to why a lot of religious references get changed is because they're done without understanding. I don't think that makes it better or worse, but I don't think Nintendo wants a lawsuit if they can avoid it. Now, some things, I personally think they take too far (like the general removal of crosses in various imported media). But with others, a lot of Japanese media feel like they're trying to tell a story with only a limited background of themes. Christianity isn't big there (at least from what I understand) and so I believe that a lot of creators add symbolism that they feel adds depth but feels... unusual or slightly disrespectful to much of the Western audience. I've heard people speaking out against things like geisha costumes, and while it's not as prevalent, I'd be willing to guess that some Western creators add Japanese/other Asian themes without full understanding and produce work that misrepresents Japanese culture and history. But, like I said, the religious references in Xenoblade X may not even be that big of a deal and I could be totally wrong about what's happened to the game. (:

As for the outfit change, it's a pretty common procedure and you can't say it wasn't unexpected. When values differ between cultures you're bound to have some alterations during imports (which also applies to the previous paragraph.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
That being said I feel like people blow this stuff out of proportion a lot and I wonder why. I miss when we used to just play games.... ;_;.
I feel you.

People are taking stuff in games so seriously while really I just want to play and have some fun. I'm not into Xenoblade but if I was even if some changes are disappointing I wouldn't do stuff like suddenly deciding not to buy a game because it doesn't have a particular feature that doesn't even affect gameplay.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
I feel you.

People are taking stuff in games so seriously while really I just want to play and have some fun. I'm not into Xenoblade but if I was even if some changes are disappointing I wouldn't do stuff like suddenly deciding not to buy a game because it doesn't have a particular feature that doesn't even affect gameplay.
I suppose it's a transition in adulthood and the state of the industry. Games have gone from a hobby to this "art form" and I feel like it's incredibly unnatural. I feel like 80% of people in gaming take things way too seriously and need to relax. I feel like the mentality and mindset for playing video games is better when you're younger, I suppose. You focus on the meat and potatoes and not the gloss that's around it, yeah.

Additionally people who take it way seriously go out of their way to be vocal and usually abrasive and aggressive (nobody in here is like that thank god) and it just bothers me. Our communities are so filled with cynicism it's sickening. I want to regress into the dark ages when gaming was a geeky hobby or something, damn. At the end of the day it's just a hobby.

I guess games are more about the experience now, to a lot. I feel like an old man when I talk like this, but maybe it's because I am a tried and true heavy Mario player so the most localization we get is some stuff in M&L that's not even worth mentioning.

Last edited:

SBphiloz4

Gatekeeper of the Shadows
NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
New Zero Skill Spamus stuff ayyy
it seems like it only works on the "best" characters in the game :4sheik::4zss::4fox::4falcon::4diddy:
but you know who isn't affected by this? :4zelda:

Therefruit Zelda is the best character in the game BAN•ZELDA

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Also on the note of censorship and what it does to games....

if people can somehow cherish the NES Castlevania series but more specifically FF6 on the SNES (with its US release) I really do wonder what's changed, y'know? Beyond people being younger. I think it has a lot to do with transparency. If someone knows what they're missing right away it's a lot more upsetting, but finding out numerous or even like 3-4 years later when it becomes more mainstream, after you experience the localized version you develop a preference. Transparency I think has introduced a very new dynamic to this kind of thing.

But I care so little about it that I tend to just buy games to play them, shruggg.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
I suppose it's a transition in adulthood and the state of the industry. Games have gone from a hobby to this "art form" and I feel like it's incredibly unnatural. I feel like 80% of people in gaming take things way too seriously and need to relax. I feel like the mentality and mindset for playing video games is better when you're younger, I suppose. You focus on the meat and potatoes and not the gloss that's around it, yeah.

Additionally people who take it way seriously go out of their way to be vocal and usually abrasive and aggressive (nobody in here is like that thank god) and it just bothers me. Our communities are so filled with cynicism it's sickening. I want to regress into the dark ages when gaming was a geeky hobby or something, damn. At the end of the day it's just a hobby.

I guess games are more about the experience now, to a lot. I feel like an old man when I talk like this, but maybe it's because I am a tried and true heavy Mario player so the most localization we get is some stuff in M&L that's not even worth mentioning.
I don't think that all censorship or script alterations are bad. In fact, I think that a lot of them can be good or even beneficial. Sometimes there are cultural references or language-specific puns that don't translate. Games like Earthbound and the whole Mario RPG series (Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi) are downright hilarious because the writing is just so good. Sometimes things are cut due to cultural dissonance or potential for lawsuits (like Vivian's gender).

All this talk reminds me about what Nob Osagawara (the translator for the Pokémon games through Platinum) stated about some of Cyrus's rants in Platinum.

What makes Cyrus even more incoherent is the fact that the "E10" rating meant excising of anything remotely related to God and how he's going to be the supreme being, etc. The ridiculous sermonizing and dodgy genetics are just icing.

I remember bouncing my forehead off the keyboard fairly repeatedly when confronted with the original Japanese text (which was sort of my fault because I complained to the script writer that the motives of Cyrus were unclear in Diamond & Pearl, and that the underlings had even less motivation to follow his ravings. That brought on more appearances of Cyrus and the rally scene with Looker in Plat.).
Also, Chansey's Dex entry. Being from Gen 1, it contained the word "evil." We had to take all references of such out later on like "evil" and "soul" and "god." That sure made for some challenged writing downstream. My mind melted when I first saw Cyrus's rants.
Long story short localization and public relations is a difficult topic.

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
BLADE acronym definition change (which wrecks the theme of the game)
I looked up both acronyms and the localized version makes a LOT more sense than the Japanese one. Is the Japanese name a reference to something that happens later in the game like Bravely Default?

Also it's cool that they could make 2 completely different acronyms with the same first letters and have then both fit the same theme (possibly).

2004Zilla

Smash Master
NNID
2004Zilla
Only one I think is kinda negligible is bust slider. Not really defining nor worth concerning about. Not that I wanted it gone or would want it gone (I don't do ARPGs but if I did it wouldn't bother me) but the only one that strikes me as odd is the removal of religious references.

We have THE BINDING OF ISAAC on 3DS Eshop! It's strange.

It's the ugly side of censorship. There's criticizing, there's finding something immature, then there's claiming that these things are dangerous and asking for their removal. You can argue that's it for equal rights all you want, but the fact of the matter is that these are escapes from reality. Games were created as an escape for the "awkward" kids from society, and it saddens me that more and more companies are starting to bow down to the movements that want to censor "offensive" speech - even though offensive is a pretty damn subjective term in and of itself.

What was that quote from Fahrenheit 451? "Don’t step on the toes of the dog lovers, the cat lovers, doctors, lawyers, merchants, chiefs, Mormons, Baptists, Unitarians, second-generation Chinese, Swedes, Italians, Germans, Texans, Brooklynites, Irishmen, people from Oregon or Mexico..."

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
It's the ugly side of censorship. There's criticizing, there's finding something immature, then there's claiming that these things are dangerous and asking for their removal. You can argue that's it for equal rights all you want, but the fact of the matter is that these are escapes from reality. Games were created as an escape for the "awkward" kids from society, and it saddens me that more and more companies are starting to bow down to the movements that want to censor "offensive" speech - even though offensive is a pretty damn subjective term in and of itself.

What was that quote from Fahrenheit 451? "Don’t step on the toes of the dog lovers, the cat lovers, doctors, lawyers, merchants, chiefs, Mormons, Baptists, Unitarians, second-generation Chinese, Swedes, Italians, Germans, Texans, Brooklynites, Irishmen, people from Oregon or Mexico..."
I just want to know what you construed from my post that supported any kind of censorship. My lack of caring about it does not equate to thinking it's something that's good or bad. I feel you may or may not have misinterpreted what I said. I have no real opinion on it because it's not something I tend to focus on when I play games.

I just find that people tend to get very aggressive about it when it comes to either the censorship itself or lack thereof. Games are very much a form of escapism and I won't deny that, but my immersion often comes from the gameplay itself and not the stuff that's censored, changed, or altered (which usually ISN'T the gameplay outside of benign circumstances that I don't remember.) However I draw a line when people start acting really rowdy and unreasonable (which, again, doesn't happen in places like this cause we're all fairly mature people). I've just seen people be called "part of the problem" for preferring the new outfits and still supporting the localization and it irks me that preference in the face of outfits for characters is approached in this manner. I consider it unreasonable. And yes, I've seen those who are against the censorship be yelled at and given ****, that's not fair either. Discourse of opinion should be fine and dandy and discussion SHOULD be had but it never does (totally crazy tangent though.)

Just wanted to make this clear, I'm not advocating for anything but myself here. I'm well aware my preferences in games and general apathy towards stuff that's super hotly debated today is kind of weird, but I'm really, really retro/old-school in how I approach games.

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Just wanted to make this clear, I'm not advocating for anything but myself here. I'm well aware my preferences in games and general apathy towards stuff that's super hotly debated today is kind of weird, but I'm really, really retro/old-school in how I approach games.
This kinda made me realize that I'm pretty oldschool myself (despite being only 19) even in the fact that I actually tend to prefer games with more simplistic plots than those with complex and deep ones.

I guess that explains a bit of why I've always stuck with Nintendo and why I'm pretty into indie games as well lol

Last edited:

2004Zilla

Smash Master
NNID
2004Zilla
I just want to know what you construed from my post that supported any kind of censorship. My lack of caring about it does not equate to thinking it's something that's good or bad. I feel you may or may not have misinterpreted what I said. I have no real opinion on it because it's not something I tend to focus on when I play games.
It was a response to this part, mainly:
That being said I feel like people blow this stuff out of proportion a lot and I wonder why.
However, I also wanted to expand on the statement made in Phenomiracle's post (our "societal puritanical fascism"), and when I say 'you,' I don't refer to you specifically.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
It was a response to this part, mainly:

However, I also wanted to expand on the statement made in Phenomiracle's post (our "societal puritanical fascism"), and when I say 'you,' I don't refer to you specifically.
Ah, I see. That makes things a bit more clear now!

FullMoon FullMoon I'm in pretty solid agreement with you. I don't really delve into Nintendo's plot heavy stuff like FE or Xenoblade all that much, I tend to stick to its roots because I never really....went to Playstation or experienced the large shift in attitude towards gaming. I'm kind of stuck back in time in a way, incredibly carefree.

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Kanto Hunger Games
DAWN OF THE THIRD DAY

The cornucopia is replenished with food, supplies, weapons, and memoirs from the tributes' families.

Misty decides not to go to The Feast.

Giovanni decides not to go to The Feast.

Daisy cannot handle the circumstances and commits suicide.

Blaine kills Koga with a hatchet.

Bill decides not to go to The Feast.

Erika sobs while gripping a photo of her friends and family.

Bruno bleeds out due to untreated injuries.

Giovanni ambushes Blaine and kills him.

Bill diverts Erika's attention and runs away.

Misty receives an explosive from an unknown sponsor.

Giovanni, Misty, and Erika discuss the games and what might happen in the morning.

Bill cries himself to sleep.

Daisy
Koga
Bruno
Blaine

Previously:
Celio
Sabrina
Lostelle
Lorelei
Mr. Fuji
Brock
Red
Copycat
Lance
Agatha
Professor Oak
Ultima
Lt. Surge
Green
Safari Zone Warden
Leaf

Rizen

Smash Legend

You really don't see the problem with a 13 year old girl running around in this?

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
Kanto Hunger Games
DAWN OF THE THIRD DAY

The cornucopia is replenished with food, supplies, weapons, and memoirs from the tributes' families.

Misty decides not to go to The Feast.

Giovanni decides not to go to The Feast.

Daisy cannot handle the circumstances and commits suicide.

Blaine kills Koga with a hatchet.

Bill decides not to go to The Feast.

Erika sobs while gripping a photo of her friends and family.

Bruno bleeds out due to untreated injuries.

Giovanni ambushes Blaine and kills him.

Bill diverts Erika's attention and runs away.

Misty receives an explosive from an unknown sponsor.

Giovanni, Misty, and Erika discuss the games and what might happen in the morning.

Bill cries himself to sleep.

Daisy
Koga
Bruno
Blaine

Previously:
Celio
Sabrina
Lostelle
Lorelei
Mr. Fuji
Brock
Red
Copycat
Lance
Agatha
Professor Oak
Ultima
Lt. Surge
Green
Safari Zone Warden
Leaf
Wow Daisy
"Look, we have food and supplies, come and enjoy yourself!"
Daisy: "I HATE ENJOYING LIFE!!!!!!!!" *Dies*

Nammy12

Smash Lord
NNID
Nammy12
Speaking of censorship, they seemed to have changed Magnolia's tomahawk costume.

I'm not sure how changing a native american outfit to a cowboy outfit is supposed to be better.
But then again, this is NoA.
These guys were the ones that put doge memes in the american localisation of triforce heroes.

The main problem I have with censorship is that Nintendo (specifically NoA) is giving in to sjw's. I mean, look at that. FE Fates is basically guaranteed to be censored as well.

Anyways, only 9 more days till X comes out :D

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
By the way guys I'm trying to look into some indie games to buy and I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions

The ones I'm going to be buying so far are

Undertale
Shantae's games
Ori and the Blind Forest

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Speaking of censorship, they seemed to have changed Magnolia's tomahawk costume.

I'm not sure how changing a native american outfit to a cowboy outfit is supposed to be better.
These guys were the ones that put doge memes in the american localisation of triforce heroes.

The main problem I have with censorship is that Nintendo (specifically NoA) is giving in to sjw's. I mean, look at that. FE Fates is basically guaranteed to be censored as well.

The doge meme is in like, one line of text in a game that's barely meant to be taken seriously anyways. It's weird that people get so cripplingly upset over it but I guess it's like, whatever. But they've been dank since Pokemon Platinum was it? People just conveniently noticed now I guess. I dunno. Not to prod or be rude or anything, but Awakening was censored too so I think even if this whole tumblr whatever shimsham wasn't going on the same thing would happen. It's why it's localization and not translation, I guess.

Also FullMoon FullMoon buy the Shantae games and get Undertale if you like neat RPGs. Be warned though, people talk it up like CRAZY and I think it's great but not groundbreaking. Definitely worth its price tag however, more than worth it.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Also FullMoon FullMoon buy the Shantae games and get Undertale if you like neat RPGs. Be warned though, people talk it up like CRAZY and I think it's great but not groundbreaking. Definitely worth its price tag however, more than worth it.
I've been avoiding spoilers of Undertale like the plague but I'm setting my expectations low so I don't get too hyped up for nothing. That's usually how I do things, sometimes it pays off really like it did when Greninja was revealed for Sm4sh lol

Though I was less asking which one of those I should buy and more if you guys have any additional ones you think I should try. The ones I mentioned are the ones I'm already 100% going to buy.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend

What does this have to do with sjw? America actually has much less censorship now than in the past. It's more of a cultural thing.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
I've been avoiding spoilers of Undertale like the plague but I'm setting my expectations low so I don't get too hyped up for nothing. That's usually how I do things, sometimes it pays off really like it did when Greninja was revealed for Sm4sh lol

Though I was less asking which one of those I should buy and more if you guys have any additional ones you think I should try. The ones I'm mentioned are the ones I'm already 100% going to buy.
I'm going to assume you bought Shovel Knight but if you like challenging platformers I'd say Volgarr the viking is REALLY cool. 16 bit era kick ass Viking stuff, definitely worth it.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
You really don't see the problem with a 13 year old girl running around in this?

I actually don't tolerate this garbage, but dedede finds a way to still make it entertaining
Undertale
Shantae's games
Ori and the Blind Forest
freedom planet
+ fast, fun with good level design
- crap voice acting

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I'm going to assume you bought Shovel Knight but if you like challenging platformers I'd say Volgarr the viking is REALLY cool. 16 bit era kick *** Viking stuff, definitely worth it.
I looked it up, it seems to be very much like Zelda II in how it plays. I'm not too into Zelda II so I might skip that one. Thanks for the suggestion though

freedom planet
+ fast, fun with good level design
- crap voice acting
Oh yeah I forgot about Freedom Planet. I'll check it out

Suicidal_Donuts

Smash Ace
NNID
IfItIsntBryson
Oh, I've heard about that game's situation. I also looked up some gameplay. Fan service aside, it's a very strange-looking game. DoA Xtreme 3 looks like Wii Sports with half-naked women.
Big DOA fan here, hello. The DOA Xtreme games are... Yeah, just fan service. The DOA community (the competitive one at least) doesn't quite care for the sexualization of the females, it's just a cash-in, and oddly enough people missed it so much that there was a cry from fans to make another. It's just one of those things that makes DOA, DOA... That being half naked women that are well endowed. Actually, the normal DOA girl outfits aren't too bad, it's usually the alternate costumes/DLC that can get a little too spicy. The gameplay is essentially almost a dating sim of sorts, but not...
You choose a girl to play as, play mini games, earn cash to spend on swim suits and gifts you can give to other girls to form friendships. I wonder what goes through the straight male's mind (or lesbian) as they play that... They probably are just there for the eye candy. It seems like a game younger girls would enjoy too, yet at the same time it's uber sexualized in every way. I don't really know about those games to be honest, other than the fact it's a way to make money off of the sexualization of women.

At least they're all 18, right. :drshrug:

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
Morning girls. How's everyone doing? :4zelda:

Had my breakfast and just listening to some music right now. And I've suddenly gotten a cramp in the palm of my left hand, it'll probably ease out soon. :V

Good to be free.

I honestly don't give a damn about censorship in video games. Now the main reasoning for Lyn's swimsuit redesigns and age change is because SHE'S 13, that's a perfectly good reason for that one bit of censorship in Xenoblade X. As for the bust slider, I don't really mind that; it's just a minor feature, since it doesn't ruin the core aspect of the game. I'm still going to enjoy the game, ain't letting censorship ruin it all for me (No need for them to blow all of this out the water). :V

I've already pre-ordered my copy of Xenoblade X. :yeahboi:

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Happy Thanksgiving to those of you in America :b:

I'm doing better. I walked for an hour, listened to REM and got some writing done.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Only one I think is kinda negligible is bust slider.
[...]
That being said I feel like people blow this stuff out of proportion a lot and I wonder why
Because now I can't blow my girls out of proportion.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Because now I can't blow my girls out of proportion.
Vanilla reminding me why lab monsters are amazing.

We need the crotch slider to show up in the third Xenoblade game. THEN I'll really protest!

Also yo **** it, let's talk about cool localizations. How about Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine? It injected Puyo Puyo with a lot more interesting stuff IMO, mostly because it had cool music and it is one of the few games to be based off of the Sonic cartoon and whatnot. Fantastic fun game but man is it hard!

Last edited:

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
The removal of the bust slider is still dumb. Its primarily a single player game and I should be allowed to have as big of ******* as I want for my 100+ hours of gameplay. :v

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Vanilla reminding me why lab monsters are amazing.

We need the crotch slider to show up in the third Xenoblade game. THEN I'll really protest!

Also yo **** it, let's talk about cool localizations. How about Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine? It injected Puyo Puyo with a lot more interesting stuff IMO, mostly because it had cool music and it is one of the few games to be based off of the Sonic cartoon and whatnot. Fantastic fun game but man is it hard!
I remember that Kefka in Final Fantasy VI is not nearly as memorable in the original version.

I also remember that Frog in Chrono Trigger didn't speak in old English in the Japanese version.

In fact you can just look at the TV Tropes page for Woolseyism and you'll find a lot of stuff like that.

PGH_Chrispy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Geliaron
One localization I always loved was the DBZ dub. Most anime I'll watch in Japanese with subtitles, but man, the English voice actors put in work for that show.

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
One localization I always loved was the DBZ dub. Most anime I'll watch in Japanese with subtitles, but man, the English voice actors put in work for that show.
I'm a mixed bag when it comes to Dub and Sub. I watch some anime dubbed and others subbed.

Some examples I can give are:
Dubbed:
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
The entire Haruhi series
Soul Eater
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Cowboy Bebop
Digimon
Devil May Cry
Metropolis
Kannazuki no Miko
Trigun

Subbed:
Strawberry Panic
Carnival Phantasm
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Eden of the East
Sengoku Basara
Gintama
Angel Beats!
Squid Girl
Shakugan no Shana
Heatguy J
Bamboo Blade

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
At least Skull Kid's incessant laughing wasn't censored :D

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
I don't know enough about how most things compare between their original and localized versions.

The notable localization improvement that comes to mind is Vulturon's voice in Megaman ZX Advent. His English voice really plays to his character theme of rock'n'roll condor, his JP voice doesn't even attempt that. That game's voice acting is a total crap shoot in both languages though imo

Also English Sm4sh doesn't have Japanese Pit, God bless.

I'm pretty sure I once saw a bra size gift where each letter had a word associated with it and H was "help I've fallen and I can't get up."

IDK, it seemed relevant.
That reminds me of the titles female characters could get in the MMO Dream of Mirror Online based on their chest size.

A-Cup Angel
B-Cup Beauty
C-Cup Cutie
D-Cup Diva
E-Cup Enticer
F-Cup Fantasy
G-Cup Goddess

A-Cup also got a bonus "A-Cup Abuses Alcohol" title because the breast envy is real.

Top Bottom