• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

Mericus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mericus
@ Lavani Lavani

Hey, question(s) ^^;

I'm loving your GIF-esq short displays and I am wondering if you can help me figure out what equipment / software I need to do the same as it's both a very good method of displaying tech/etc. + it's short n sweet.
( they are extremely well done and great methods to show things that text simply couldn't )

Would you be willing to help/inforn me with obtaining the method to do this + teach me how you do it?
It'd be really awesome if I could contribute like you can and I'd love to advance / show off data just like you ^^

Last edited:
@Fernosaur

One of our buddies back in the Shulk boards posted this for us :D (I tried these out in some friendlies AKA: 7 hour wasted smash training exercise, it works)
ga1fv.gif
ga1jh.gif

Still trying to improve my Zelda though. Need to utilize the Phantom properly and sweetspot my lightning kicks more

Last edited:

SBphiloz4

Gatekeeper of the Shadows
NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
Yoooo welcome back pseudo L-cancelling.

Can't wait to use this with Falco and Ganon. For Zelda, kicks are the obvious thing to look at, but Uair and Nair would be interesting with this. Would love to see this expanded.

Too lazy to test this with Shulk zzzzzzz

Oh, 1 week break. Looks like I can't john my way out of this

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Hnng did a little testing with ha kicks;

Seems nearly impossible to do with DAir, and really hard with her side aerials to the point where is say it isn't very worth it. :(

It may also be me, but it almost feels like even if you do it right with her side aerials, that there's still too much lag...

Fireemblemfreak

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fireemblemfreak
3DS FC
3024-6545-1788
Hnng did a little testing with ha kicks;

Seems nearly impossible to do with DAir, and really hard with her side aerials to the point where is say it isn't very worth it. :(

It may also be me, but it almost feels like even if you do it right with her side aerials, that there's still too much lag...
I still can't even pull it off, but if it becomes a thing then I might have to.. ughhh

SBphiloz4

NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
Well, Lavani did pull off that L-kick to FW thanks to this tech, so possibilities can still exist with this. But by the looks of it, it doesn't seem like we'll get as much benefit as say Ganondorf with this tech. :////

Well, we have sliding D-smashes for now, haha.

EDIT: Trying this on the 3DS right now with Falco and Ganondorf and wow, this is difficult. Probably due to the 3DS stick being not so great, but still. This is going to be a long road for me to master. :/

Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Honestly I just wanna know how many frames you have to do this. cause if it is frame perfect, that would be gross

D: That pseudo L-cancel. I need to practice! 5PM has to get here quicker!
I've gotten it twice so far and that was on falco, I'm bad

I still can't even pull it off, but if it becomes a thing then I might have to.. ughhh
I really think it will be character specific

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Honestly I just wanna know how many frames you have to do this. cause if it is frame perfect, that would be gross
If I'm not mistaken, @ Lavani Lavani indicated that you have to fast fall and connect with the aerial on the first frame that it is able to hit.
I really want to try it out. Although the applications of this tech seem difficult since aerial approaches can be seen and replied to correctly. It would probably be a more situational thing.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod

I really think it will be character specific
It is really strict timing and once again with my DMC analogies, it's like Just Frames which can make Gilgamesh, a set of greaves and gauntlets, even more dangerous. Here's the thing, they both require timing with generally slow moves. In DMC4, you had to charge moves in the middle of combat to JF Gilgamesh's moves. With normal hits, it's not worth it since general DPS is probably better, but with strong moves like Rising Dragon, then it's worth it, but only when the enemy is severely stunned. Add distorted combos and JF is even more powerful. Just Frames in DmC look easier, but that's because charge moves in that game are much shorter.

So, this is more of a good read and punish thing rather than regular combat stuff.

Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
If I'm not mistaken, @ Lavani Lavani indicated that you have to fast fall and connect with the aerial on the first frame that it is able to hit.
so frame perfect. That's really gross. still it might be easier with a stick for tilts
and I already was hating on perfect pivots for being frame perfect, even though it's an easier input my hands are naturally slow making it a pain

So, this is more of a good read and punish thing rather than regular combat stuff.
pfft im here to style, not win

McKnightlíght

Getting back into the dunk game
NNID
EvanMcKnight
3DS FC
4399-0018-3572
I'm a little late but the first game I remember playing is Killer Instinct(as a 2 year old O.O(and I still love it)).

Favorite games(in no order, yet):
Mario 3
Street Fighter 2
Halo 2
DKC
DKC2
Sunset Riders
Super Mario Kart
Crash Bandicoot
Smash Bros
Sims 2
Pokemon Red/Blue
Pokemon Gold/Silver

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
Stupid question: Is it possible to pull this off with Nair? I'm seeing everyone jumping to Dair and Fair/Bair applications, what about Nair? Part of Nair's AtG beauty in Brawl was it leading into a Dsmash, maybe we might be able to do it again?

EDIT: Just saw someone say he was able to pull it off with ZSS's Nair.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
So... What is this pseudo L-cancel thing and how to do it?

I won't take time to train anyway, I finally got the two Wii games I was searching: Another Code R and Okami.

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
Today I learned airdodging to the ground is safer landing option than using Zelda's aerials.

At least Bowser's aerials have so much knockback/damage/lasting hitboxes (Dair) that shielding them isn't exactly safe or guaranteed into a followup.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod

I won't take time to train anyway, I finally got the two Wii games I was searching: Another Code R and Okami.
It's like forcing an auto-cancel. So, take Ganondorf's Dair, when you land it, there are some hit lag or freeze frames. Both Ganondorf and his victim have to go through that, but Ganondorf has to land as well meaning if by some chance the victim is still in place, then the victim can grab or punish Ganondorf landing. Frame cancel is like landing and hitting at the same time making it so your landing frames are already going through while your opponent has to deal with the hit lag. I think that's how it works, if not, then check out this thread which is probably more accurate than what I'm saying: http://smashboards.com/threads/frame-cancel.386639/.

I feel freaking old and out of place that my first games were Contra and Super Mario Bros... AND I'M NOT EVEN 20 YET!

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
@ Lavani Lavani

Hey, question(s) ^^;

I'm loving your GIF-esq short displays and I am wondering if you can help me figure out what equipment / software I need to do the same as it's both a very good method of displaying tech/etc. + it's short n sweet.
( they are extremely well done and great methods to show things that text simply couldn't )

Would you be willing to help/inforn me with obtaining the method to do this + teach me how you do it?
It'd be really awesome if I could contribute like you can and I'd love to advance / show off data just like you ^^
It's a simple process:

1. Record footage with phone camera
2. Edit footage with Virtualdub or Avidemux
3. Either safe a gif and upload directly or save a video and upload to gfycat

If you connect an aerial at the same time you land, you land during your hitlag and essentially start your landing lag early, allowing it to end sooner.

It isn't that you need to connect on the first frame it can hit, just connect at the same time you land.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
I still think it's is
Zelda can get rid of Luma with a din or dash attack
Rosalina dies easily
Zeldas ground game out classes her's

I honestly think Nairo would win if he was on a platformless stage
honestly watching that vid Nairo's issue i think is that he was trying to challenge Rosies jab too much. like you can but i think he was trying to muscle it too much and not letting it go sometimes.

Rosalina is basically a better Zelda

Then again, I may be really wrong about this. @ JigglyZelda003 JigglyZelda003 probably knows more about this. I recall him talking about it in the past
Zelda can get rid of luma pretty easily
Rosie dies about as early as Zelda
Rosie has galaxies, brawl Zelda's Dsmash, a better jab, a better grab, Luma. Zelda's ground game isn't terribad but Rosie's is better even without Luma around. I think at best you could see the fight as even but even against Rosalina and not Rollarina its still an uphill fight for Zelda because Luma hits really hard without precision needed.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
oh god my gfycats got linked on reddit

it's only been ~12 hours and the falcon knee cancel gfy already has over 13000 views @_@

It's like forcing an auto-cancel.
It's nothing like autocancelling, really.

Autocancels are just landing at points in the attack where the move doesn't have its landing lag applied, and for most aerials there's a tiny window during startup and another window after the active frames for this.

To put it really simply, frame cancelling is essentially just "landing earlier".

McKnightlíght

Getting back into the dunk game
NNID
EvanMcKnight
3DS FC
4399-0018-3572
I feel freaking old and out of place that my first games were Contra and Super Mario Bros... AND I'M NOT EVEN 20 YET!
I'm 20, but I was raised on NES games. I still have my NES and it works beautifully.

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
oh god my gfycats got linked on reddit

it's only been ~12 hours and the falcon knee cancel gfy already has over 13000 views @_@

It's nothing like autocancelling, really.

Autocancels are just landing at points in the attack where the move doesn't have its landing lag applied, and for most aerials there's a tiny window during startup and another window after the active frames for this.

To put it really simply, frame cancelling is essentially just "landing earlier".
Congrats on being a Gfycat celeb ;p
I'm 20, but I was raised on NES games. I still have my NES and it works beautifully.
dat sig

SBphiloz4

NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
Going back to the :rosalina:MU, I'm just gonna say that it's pretty awful. No way is this in our advantage, or even considered an even MU. Both characters have a common goal, and it's to maintain stage control. I admit, once Zelda gets Rosalina off stage, we have plenty of options to edgeguard her. This includes the Dtilt trap near the ledge, as well as easy Lightning Kicks (Rosalina is fat :^) ) and Uair kills. And I noticed with Nairo's match against Dabuz that dash attack was used a lot to get Luma out of the way, making it a lot more manageable.

HOWEVER, this is where all the good stuff ends. Both characters want to maintain stage control, but Rosalina just does it SO much better. She has amazing aerial game, and her ground game is heavily enhanced due to Luma. Nairo in that match had a whole lot of trouble getting back on stage after grabbing on the ledge, just because Luma keeps you COMPLETELY in check. No reason whatsoever for Rosalina to commit to an edgeguard when Luma already does it so well. Most of the time, she'll be controlling the stage, and you playing catch-up. Once you're off stage, it's a HUGE struggle to turn the tides. Even without Luma, Rosalina is basically a better Zelda, so I still don't consider it to be an even MU. It's like when Luma's gone, it's so easy to tell yourself that you got this, and you end up playing worse because you have the mentality to kill Solosina ASAP, and it gets to you. When the MU is basically kill Luma just so you have 13 seconds to CATCH UP, there's NO way it's favourable. It's not our worst, that's for sure, but it's pretty bad.

Oh, and not to mention those easy premature kills as well. Crazy.

Mericus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mericus
Anyone want to wifi? I'm not having luck on AiB.
You mean " With Friends " ? ( I'm new to alot here sorry )
If so, I'll play a bit ( I'm not very good tho lol ).

EDIT: " editnvm " oh :s

Last edited:

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
I actually don't think the Rosalina MU is so bad. Getting rid of Luma is super easy. Just 2 dash attacks, or maybe one sweetspotted one. She dies to Elevator at like 60-ish. Din's and Phantom will hit Luma, which forces Rosalina to move away. Unfortunately Nayru's is not too good until Luma is gone. Throws become riskier too, especially with Rosa's floatiness. Dash attack should be used more for punishes with Luma out. Also, unlike Rosalina, we have some KO power. She really is kinda weak on her own. Just beware getting trapped above her with Luma out. Her uair wrecks us. I guess we could teleport back down to the ground, since Rosa's floatiness keeps her from getting down fast enough.

Really the key is getting rid of Luma. I say it's like 40-60 for us with Luma out, but even without Luma.

...probably should've saved this for the actual MU thread, lol.

Top Bottom