• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

Rizen

Smash Legend
I'm at a play for Peter Pan and it's intermission right now.
It said for ages 4 and over but they clearly said a** at one point for like no reason at all.

Also one of the pirates has a Levin Sword. Pirates confirmed to have high magic stat. :secretkpop:
It already sounds like an improvement over the classic Peter Pan. Keep us posted if there's laser guns or frontal nudity in the second act ;).

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
So I finally figured out how to make (some) Wii games look better on an HDTV (through the Wii U's emulation, that is).

I'm going to use Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword as examples.

1. I went to the Wii U settings and set the video output to 480p with a 4:3 aspect ratio (instead of the usual 16:9 widescreen).

2. I had to set my TV's aspect ratio to display 4:3 right. It should be a button that says something like "Pix Shape" or "Aspect Ratio" on your remote.

2.5. Now the Wii U menu will look weird, probably really small, but don't worry, you can always change it back. Change the "screen size" setting if you need to.

3. Start up Wii Mode. It should display in 4:3 format.

4. Now TP's widescreen seems to just be a stretched image (not 100% sure on this though...) so playing in 4:3 letterbox format makes the picture clearer at the cost of having big black borders on the sides. Looks much, much nicer imo.

5. Skyward Sword on the other hand (and probably some of the newer Wii games) are native Widescreen, so this trick won't work right (the image will be super small). In that case, just put your settings back to how they normally are (Wii U AND TV)

To sum it up...
- If the Wii game supports 4:3 and you dont mind borders, put everything in 4:3 mode to greatly improve the clarity and reduce all the jaggies.

- If the Wii game is forced Widescreen, just use normal settings.

I just wanted to share this little discovery with everyone~

DISCLAIMER: I used a Sanyo 26' 720p TV for this. Your experience may vary based on screen size, manufacturer, and resolution. Don't sue me.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So I finally figured out how to make (some) Wii games look better on an HDTV (through the Wii U's emulation, that is).

I'm going to use Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword as examples.

1. I went to the Wii U settings and set the video output to 480p with a 4:3 aspect ratio (instead of the usual 16:9 widescreen).

2. I had to set my TV's aspect ratio to display 4:3 right. It should be a button that says something like "Pix Shape" or "Aspect Ratio" on your remote.

2.5. Now the Wii U menu will look weird, probably really small, but don't worry, you can always change it back. Change the "screen size" setting if you need to.

3. Start up Wii Mode. It should display in 4:3 format.

4. Now TP's widescreen seems to just be a stretched image (not 100% sure on this though...) so playing in 4:3 letterbox format makes the picture clearer at the cost of having big black borders on the sides. Looks much, much nicer imo.

5. Skyward Sword on the other hand (and probably some of the newer Wii games) are native Widescreen, so this trick won't work right (the image will be super small). In that case, just put your settings back to how they normally are (Wii U AND TV)

To sum it up...
- If the Wii game supports 4:3 and you dont mind borders, put everything in 4:3 mode to greatly improve the clarity and reduce all the jaggies.

- If the Wii game is forced Widescreen, just use normal settings.

I just wanted to share this little discovery with everyone~

DISCLAIMER: I used a Sanyo 26' 720p TV for this. Your experience may vary based on screen size, manufacturer, and resolution. Don't sue me.

Jestar

Prinsass of Hyrule
NNID
JML-64
Switch FC
2130-3831-9341
Using Farore's to recover and ending up 2 centimeters from the ledge but being unable to recover because Zelda has no mobility after it is the worst feeling ever.
It's a bad feeling yeah.
On the other hand, that's what Windfall is for. Lots of mobility after using that move. :secretkpop:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Link, Zelda, Ganon.
Link: -1
link can outzone Swordfiddle because bombs go through Gale strike other wise Swordfighter can juggle him very well but Link wins a little win from right reads
Zelda: +1
Ban*Zelda
Ganon: 0
Finally a character Swordfighter can kill with d-air into footstool
:4sheik:
and then :4pikachu:. remember our 3ds friendlies lol
Not Zelda: -infinity
the only reason Swordfailure would win this MU is if the Sheik messes up when the mii has a kill move ready
Pikachu : -2
I know i won a good deal of those matches but i think Pikachu wins the mu easily. Even if it takes Pikachu a little bit to actually get in once he does Swordfighter has no answer to Pikachu's advantage other than pray he hasn't died yet other than Swordfighter doesn't get completely get curbstomped because he's almost a fatty and whoops you just got hit by u air
WFT: uh (make up random number) +1
because reasons

Peach: -1 at best
She gets to fight out of Swordfiddles comfort zone while having a good enough ground dame to have enough advantage to go back into the air.

Greniqqua: 0
(can you drop him now?)

wow.JPG

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
Link: -1
link can outzone Swordfiddle because bombs go through Gale strike other wise Swordfighter can juggle him very well but Link wins a little win from right reads
Zelda: +1
Ban*Zelda
Ganon: 0
Finally a character Swordfighter can kill with d-air into footstool

Not Zelda: -infinity
the only reason Swordfailure would win this MU is if the Sheik messes up when the mii has a kill move ready
I know i won a good deal of those matches but i think Pikachu wins the mu easily. Even if it takes Pikachu a little bit to actually get in once he does Swordfighter has no answer to Pikachu's advantage other than pray he hasn't died yet other than Swordfighter doesn't get completely get curbstomped because he's almost a fatty and whoops you just got hit by u air

WFT: uh (make up random number) +1
because reasons

Peach: -1 at best
She gets to fight out of Swordfiddles comfort zone while having a good enough ground dame to have enough advantage to go back into the air.

Greniqqua: 0
(can you drop him now?)

View attachment 63943
Soooo WiiFit is basically a ?. I can give you experience with the MU whenever your at Zekus.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Yay! ~ I can finally see the avis I upload.

Anyway, how does everyone feel about the Random Encounters vs Visible Encounters debate?

Honestly, I much prefer Random Encounters because I love the surprise and suspense, as well as the ability to grind by running around in circles. It especially helps that I feel Pokemon and Bravely Default do it the best that I've played. (Well, maybe not so much the former when in a cave. But you still have repels).

However, I do dislike how many people say it is an overall bad design decision rather than people preferring one over the other. I still feel random encounters have their places.

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon

Anyway, how does everyone feel about the Random Encounters vs Visible Encounters debate?

Honestly, I much prefer Random Encounters because I love the surprise and suspense, as well as the ability to grind by running around in circles. It especially helps that I feel Pokemon and Bravely Default do it the best that I've played. (Well, maybe not so much the former when in a cave. But you still have repels).

However, I do dislike how many people say it is an overall bad design decision rather than people preferring one over the other. I still feel random encounters have their places.
Not sure how alone I am in this department but I find scripted encounters like the ones in Chrono Trigger really cool.

I guess Chrono Trigger falls more into the Visible Encounters category but I think it does so differently from games like Earthbound

Soul.

this i can agree with, though swordfighter's disjoints may be annoying to deal with at times. especially jab (jab 1 to jab 2 to grab is a thing, right?), down tilt, and uair. the last one is disgusting lol.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646

I think both have their merits. Pokemon (main series) is definitely a game that benefits from random encounters. Real-time RPGs and roguelikes should have visible encounters though. (Specifically thinking of stuff like Xenoblade and Pokemon Ranger/Mystery Dungeon.)

Earthbound is kind of weird in that regard. Actually, it's kind of weird in every regard.

I wasn't aware that this was a debate though.

Last edited:

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
So my Photos app sometimes takes similar photos and puts them together in a collage automatically.
Screenshot_2015-07-26-06-34-30.png

I died

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Pit and Dork Pit 0
these angels are really annoying to get the kill off but their recovery is a bit predicatble and exploitable so atleast racking up damage is easy
Figglypug +1?
her entire playstyle is just begging to get up aired
Luma -1
dealing with luma is annoying Swordfeller has not good way to seperate the two outside of a yolo dash attack so he has to play against Luma and not the Hurtbox that gives the stock also D-air beats Luma's and the Hurtbox's U-air

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
@ Antonykun Antonykun what are your reasons to Swordfighter beating WiiFit?
Wii Fit is irrelevant and no one uses her.

Besides, Antony said that he legit made up the MU number so it's completely obsolete. We don't need another "WII FIT IS TOP 10 CONVERT TO WFT" post tonight tyvm :basket*****:

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
@ Antonykun Antonykun what are your reasons to Swordfighter beating WiiFit?
Antonykun emphasizing what he earlier said:
make up random number
Wii Fit is irrelevant and no one uses her.

Besides, Antony said that he legit made up the MU number so it completely obsolete. We don't need another "WII FIT IS TOP 10 CONVERT TO WFT" post tonight tyvm :basket*****:
welp I got ninja'd

wat. These nicknames :p

And least Dork Pit is better than Dark Spit @S.F.L.R_9
I have like a million Nicknames for Swordfagotto

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
@ Lorde Lorde I just realized that your avatar is an actual spritzee

I feel so dumb

Rizen

Smash Legend
WFT might get the biggest boost from customs being legal of any character. She goes from bottom tier to high tier.

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
dude I'm talking about the instrument
It's straight up called the "fagott" in German. My middle school music teacher had posters of a bunch of the instruments and it had the French, German, Italian, and English names for each of them. Needless to say, we thought the bassoon was very entertaining.

And I'll have you all know that I'm the best fagott player around. No one can come close to my skills.

Top Bottom